Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: GAME OVER, Scum Victory!  (Read 64660 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: Level 2 Starts Well!
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2012, 09:20:49 am »

Shakerag: It's a pressure vote. I'm still suspicious of Chaos Armor, but I want abculatter to answer the question. It's not going to be my final vote for the day.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2012, 11:29:26 am »

Tiruin
Tiruin
what sort of experience do you have playing Mafia? how does it feel to be replacing somebody who is suspected to be scum? as the Godfather what would be your long-term plan to best leverage your position? As the cop how would you go about uncovering the Godfather?

Please clarify on what kind of sort do you mean. Basically, I only know Mafia through my sojourns on Bay12, forum Mafia that is. I'm unsure as to my personal abilities, but know the basics in handling myself. I'm perfectly fine as a replacement.

Also, could you clarify what you mean by leverage? In the long-term, basically, I would be aiming to complete my wincon.

As a Cop, I wouldn't actually know if my target was Godfather or not, given the word 'town' upon inspect is the same but basically, I would always suspect the chance of a Godfather. Basically, it breaks down into scumhunting.

Also, I've noticed you rated Fiskav and borno higher on your suspicions, but went ahead to lynch BMC instead. Why?

Your answers are fine for what I was looking for, thanks. Just idly curious and wasn't sure what types of questions D2 should be filled with. Shakerag cleared it up below. :)
As for your question, the list was, as stated just above it, flexible. Those were my top three suspicions and weren't intended to be taken in any specific order. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have numbered that list. As for why I voted for him, see below as I answer that question for the others who asked it.

Flying Dice/IronyOwl
Theodolus, you were the other person I saw going after BMC (apart from myself) with something approaching real reasoning; do you think that someone was pushing a bandwagon on him, or was his death more of an inertiawagon? I'm thinking on my own conclusions regarding this, but I'm interesting in seeing what you have to say as well.
and
As for you, why'd you ignore your gut on BMC and go for the lynch instead? What do you think of your decision now?

I believe his death was due to a combination of beginner behavior and inertia. As for my own reasons for voting him, he began to panic in excess as it got closer to end of day and began using what I thought were very scummy attempts at convincing others to remove their votes from him. I would have probably not voted for him if he had remained a bit more active in the closing days and focused on actual scum hunting instead of doing nothing with his time except trying to defend himself. On the flip side:
Spoiler: Meta Tells (click to show/hide)
Now I'm wishing I had listened to that gut feeling and had kept my vote on Fiskav/abculatter, but no sense in crying over spilled milk/blood/guts. BMC reacted in the exact wrong way every time another person voted for him, making a big fuss over it, instead of moving forward and focusing on scum hunting. Of course I could go back over and re-read it now, knowing he was town and excuse it all as newbie presentation issues, rather than flailing, which is probably indicative of me needing more mafia experience. As for the bandwagon... well, I have a theory on that and it may be right, or it may be wrong, but you can see it below.

Deathsword
So far this game, despite recommendations to the contrary your general policy of 'scum hunting' has been to lay out one question and then sit on it until you get a response that you consider 'satisfactory'. You've asked a couple other softball questions, but nothing of substance. Do you honestly have nothing else to ask the rest of the town?

From where I'm sitting right now it seems like you're hoping to pull off another 'BMC Special' on D2. What's that, you ask? Well, here's my take on how D1 went down. You, being scum, engaged the first person to cross your path. You pushed him hard and got him to crack and start acting scummy. Then Chaos Armor did exactly what you were hoping for and you got the first vote thrown on BMC. You followed it up with a FoS, hoping to get others to start being suspicious of BMC. Borno took the bait and you had the beginnings of the bandwagon you were hoping for. You jumped on and inertia (and continued missteps by BMC) took care of the rest. Of course, your first pick, Chaos Armor, isn't responding very quickly (or is a scumbuddy and was a red herring vote you threw out there for appearances) and neither is abculatter, so it's a bit more obvious what you're aiming for this time around.

Chaos Armor
I know your claims for inactivity, but what's your excuse for an absolute absence of scum hunting? Were you really that positive BMC was scum that you couldn't search around for his scum buddy even? Or did you know all along what Deathsword's plan was?
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2012, 12:11:44 pm »

Theo:
Theodolus: Do you feel that BMC's vote on Deathsword was an OMGUS?  What do you think about BMC's arguments about the other players now that you know he was town?

*poke*

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:05 pm »

[Okay, seriously here, everyone.  What's with the lack of posting?  I took a five-day vacation in the middle of D1 and I still have more posts than some of you. 

abculatter_2 needs to post and be prodded.

Chaos Armor needs to post a lot more or ask for a replacement if he can't access the internet reliably.

Flying Dice/IronyOwl have fewer posts than me, and could step it up a bit.

Day ends today, people.  Let's get asses in gear.  And so help me god if you all ask for another extension and end up pissing it away.]

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »

Oh, sorry, thought I'd gotten all of the questions directed at me.

Shakerag
Theodolus: Do you feel that BMC's vote on Deathsword was an OMGUS?  What do you think about BMC's arguments about the other players now that you know he was town?
I don't necessarily believe it was an OMGUS, no. More a knee-jerk reaction by an inexperienced townie. If he had voted Chaos Armor it would have been an OMGUS, but he'd been sparring with Deathsword for a while by that time and not being FoS'd until a vote was cast on him... Well, I think it made him realize he needed to start putting pressure on, but it was too late and then everyone started calling it an OMGUS.

I'm beginning to see where his points were valid. In the midst of it I was dismissing him as a bit desperate and focused on scum hunting amongst the other town members. If I'd read through it though, with the perspective of now, I think I'd have probably joined in his pressuring Deathsword and Chaos Armor a bit more. Especially because Fiskav and Borno, the two I had been pressuring both jumped ship, causing me to re-evaluate the 'lack of participation' reasoning I was basing my pressure off of.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »

Well this is a fine bit of activity, isn't it? Where is everyone? I'm going to go ahead and do this then, in case the activity level stays down for the rest of the afternoon.
Deathsword

Come on guys, let's get this thing moving!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2012, 05:18:47 pm »

Since abculatter is staying completely silent, I'm going to unvote him and vote Chaos Armor as my final vote for the day. I'm quite sure he used my skirmish with BMC to start a bandwagon and get him killed while making me look bad, since I was the one who attacked BMC the most.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2012, 05:40:51 pm »

[2] Deathsword: Shakerag, Theodolus
[1] abculatter_2: Tiruin
[1] Chaos Armor: Deathsword

Day ends Friday 9:00 PM MST.

He was prodded, along with three other people on Tuesday. I will prod him again. If he fails to respond to that prod, he will be replaced.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:45:40 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2012, 06:39:53 pm »

Shakerag:
IronyOwl: Why are you such a laz  Why did you unvote Deathsword D1?  Was it just a pressure vote?  Who did you think was scum at the end of D1 and why?
He gave satisfactory enough answers that I really didn't think it was doing any good. I had and still have something of a gut suspicion of him, but it wasn't enough to productively vote him.

At the end of D1 I believe my top suspicion was Chaos Armor, partially on gut and partially for reasons I don't remember. He was being lazy and lurky, I assume. I've since revised that opinion, largely on the fact that his lurking seems to have been due to literally running out of internet.

Theodolus:
I believe his death was due to a combination of beginner behavior and inertia. As for my own reasons for voting him, he began to panic in excess as it got closer to end of day and began using what I thought were very scummy attempts at convincing others to remove their votes from him. I would have probably not voted for him if he had remained a bit more active in the closing days and focused on actual scum hunting instead of doing nothing with his time except trying to defend himself.
Fair enough.

Deathsword:
Abculatter: What do you think happened during the night? Do you think there is a doctor or that the scum team did not kill on purpose?
What did you hope to gain from this question? Shakerag's already explained that night WIFOM isn't useful, so what are you trying for here?

Since abculatter is staying completely silent, I'm going to unvote him and vote Chaos Armor as my final vote for the day. I'm quite sure he used my skirmish with BMC to start a bandwagon and get him killed while making me look bad, since I was the one who attacked BMC the most.
Based on what? If you've given any elaborate explanations of why you feel this way, I seem to have missed them.

Tiruin, what's your opinion of Flying Dice's case on Chaos Armor?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »

IronyOwl: The reasons themselves were not really elaborated on my previous posts, but I'm going to quote myself.

Chaos Armor, on the other hand, jumped on BMC while he (BMC) and I were accusing each other. While he claimed it was a pressure vote, he kept the vote for the rest of the day without giving any more reasons.

Chaos Armor, did you use BMC's attacks on me (and mine on him) as a convenient excuse to attack him, or did you have any other reasons for that?

To further elaborate: Chaos Armor voted on BMC upon seeing an opportunity due to our skirmish. Right afterwards, I FoS'ed BMC. BMC then voted for me. As far as I am aware, that vote would only be an OMGUS if he had voted on Chaos Armor, not me. I then voted and further attacked BMC, with others, such as Flying Dice, also attacking him. BMC then went overly-defensive and thus gave the impression of seeming scummy, which caused further attacks by me and others. Chaos Armor, in the meanwhile, kept conveniently out of the action, watching as his bandwagon/inertiawagon went on and ended with the mislynch of BMC. That is why I consider Chaos Armor to be scum.

I am aware Chaos Armor has claimed he was unable to post due to running low on internet, but if he is unable to post regularly for any reason, then he should ask for a replacement.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2012, 08:31:09 pm »

abculatter_2 has requested a replacement.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: Level 2. One replace needed.
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:29 pm »

Deathsword:
Chaos Armor, on the other hand, jumped on BMC while he (BMC) and I were accusing each other. While he claimed it was a pressure vote, he kept the vote for the rest of the day without giving any more reasons.

Chaos Armor, did you use BMC's attacks on me (and mine on him) as a convenient excuse to attack him, or did you have any other reasons for that?

To further elaborate: Chaos Armor voted on BMC upon seeing an opportunity due to our skirmish. Right afterwards, I FoS'ed BMC. BMC then voted for me. As far as I am aware, that vote would only be an OMGUS if he had voted on Chaos Armor, not me. I then voted and further attacked BMC, with others, such as Flying Dice, also attacking him. BMC then went overly-defensive and thus gave the impression of seeming scummy, which caused further attacks by me and others. Chaos Armor, in the meanwhile, kept conveniently out of the action, watching as his bandwagon/inertiawagon went on and ended with the mislynch of BMC. That is why I consider Chaos Armor to be scum.
Specifics. Why do you consider all of this to be like you say and not something else?

For instance, CA voted BMC because he saw an opening due to you and BMC going at it, right? How do you know this?

OMGUS is any sort of unwarranted counterattack intended to get revenge on, dissuade, or discredit your attacker. Actual votes are often involved but not directly relevant.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »

Erk, whole post before going offline got wiped, and I resume it this morning to see this.

EXTEND

Unvote, as I don't think abc's rep can answer questions about how abc posted.

Still: abculatter_2's Replacement: Could you give your reasoning on abc's/Fiskav's posts

PFP, reading it again.

Tiruin:  You're replacing in for someone I felt was scum D1.  What's your quick take on the reasons everyone had for voting thier target D1?
Everyone believed they were right in laying down their votes for those people, and let them stick until their feelings on those people were clarified by their responses.

Tiruin, what's your opinion of Flying Dice's case on Chaos Armor?
He's trying to implicate CA on a probability, and based partly off wrong (or how I see it) reasoning stated below.

Spoiler: Snip :P (click to show/hide)
Hm, from the looks of this (and earlier point on CA), I'd say you're attacking him on the weak reason that he started a bandwagon.

That is...so wrong.

Firstly, one cannot start a bandwagon with one's self only.
Secondly, it shan't be a bandwagon unless other people vote, and yet this is but a probability as it is based on how victim reacts - i.e. your term of inertia-lynch, which does not relate to how CA is scummy in that manner.
Thirdly, from what I think of it, and from your list, you think I'm buddying you? Ahahahahahahahahahhahaha.
No.

Tell me, how did you conclude such?

Fourthly, that FoS was because of your claim on OMGUS > BMC. While, yes, he did vote after being FoS'd, he FoS'd Deathsword first.

"[...]but BMC only voted Deathsword after he was voted and FoSed, and it looked like a textbook OMGUS to me; voting someone who just pressured/FoSed/Voted you to try and get them to back off."

And here you get it wrong. BMC cast his suspicions on Deathy here, the one you quoted by the way.

Lastly, on CA,
Between the point where he voted for BMC and the point where BMC was mislynched, CA made ONE post with any sort of content, and his response to BMC was essentially "Lol I'm pressuring you, now answer my question the way I want you to, kthxbai. I never said that CA joined a bandwagon, I said that he was bandwagoning, which in this case meant starting one for little reason and letting it run out of control without bothering to do any more scumhunting. That looks scummy as all hell to me; it says that he didn't care who got lynched as long as someone did. In my case, I held off until I had what I felt was enough evidence to justify a vote; I may be in a less opportune place on the voting chart, but if it is because I bothered to do something approaching a proper investigation, I don't really care.
not really. He didn't go all "NO U" on the pressure, but stated what he thought about BMC.

Besides, if you've that much fervor for CA, then why not vote him?

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2012, 12:47:32 am »

Extend

I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, or missed questions. I'm typing this post as 1:00 in the morning.

Shakerag:

[Okay, seriously here, everyone.  What's with the lack of posting?  I took a five-day vacation in the middle of D1 and I still have more posts than some of you. 

Chaos Armor needs to post a lot more or ask for a replacement if he can't access the internet reliably.

Flying Dice/IronyOwl have fewer posts than me, and could step it up a bit.

Day ends today, people.  Let's get asses in gear.  And so help me god if you all ask for another extension and end up pissing it away.]

It's not just internet. I don't exactly have a ton of free time and have been away from a computer all of today. I do need to post more but can't always find the time.

Theodolus:

Chaos Armor
I know your claims for inactivity, but what's your excuse for an absolute absence of scum hunting? Were you really that positive BMC was scum that you couldn't search around for his scum buddy even? Or did you know all along what Deathsword's plan was?

Not absolute absence of scum hunting but something close to that. I hadn't realized that I neglected everyone else so much, I was very intent that BMC was scum. Along with how some people already asked questions that I would have, before me. Deathsword's plan? What do you mean?

Deathsword:

Chaos Armor: Who do you think had the weakest case on BMC D1 and why?

I think Deathsword had the weakest case. Looking back on it he simply stated...
Furthermore, blackmagechill seems very defensive, even somwhat angry, when questioned by people other than me, so, for that, he gets my vote.

He includes the least amount of reasons and they are a little vague, so I see his as the worst.

"When questioned by people other than me". That statement just sticks out to me. I can't put a finger on it though.

IronyOwl: The reasons themselves were not really elaborated on my previous posts, but I'm going to quote myself.

I am aware Chaos Armor has claimed he was unable to post due to running low on internet, but if he is unable to post regularly for any reason, then he should ask for a replacement.

First off, I did not vote BMC due to your skirmish. If you look back that was my first post and it included my RVS questions and vote. BMC literally came up as my random vote. Furthermore, as I already told Flying Dice, I do not have the power to create bandwagons. You yourself  were the third person to vote for BMC and for the worst reasons out of all the other players. You were jumping on the bandwagon right there. You say that BMC was overly defensive and scummy looking. Who do you think was the scummiest looking player on D1? In my opinion it was BMC, which is why I kept my vote on him. Judging by the way you kept your vote on BMC I would say that you thought him to be the scummiest also. Unless you were just looking for a lynch? True it was a mislynch but most of us thought him to be scum including yourself. He looked the scummiest so we lynched him.

Flying Dice:

First off, he wasn't answering all of my questions. I had to prod him to answer it. Then prod him again to answer one part of it. I wanted to see his response to that question before I proceeded with questioning him. I also asked him questions that I got a response to but never got a chance to send another barrage of questions regarding those responses as that is when I was restricted from the internet. Then his answers to others and his general replies sent scum bells off in my head. So I kept my vote on him.

Now to the bandwagoning...

How does one start a bandwagon, Flying Dice? I can certainly see how one joins one. My reasons for voting you Flying Dice are as follows: You voted me for nonsensical reasons then took it off to avoid looking like you were attacking me. You jumped on a bandwagon D1 looking for an easy lynch. And so far your voting style looks like you're just following the crowd and trying to get someone lynched.
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 22, 2012, 02:23:19 pm »

Tiruin:  You're replacing in for someone I felt was scum D1.  What's your quick take on the reasons everyone had for voting thier target D1?
Everyone believed they were right in laying down their votes for those people, and let them stick until their feelings on those people were clarified by their responses.
I can't tell if you're being a smart-ass or not, so to clarify and re-word: Who do you feel had poor/weak resoning behind thier vote at the end of D1?

Chaos Armor: [Fair enough, but keep in mind if the quantity of your posts goes down, the quality had better go up to match.] 

[Bandwagoning: Since that seems to be the hot topic, let's take a moment to review.  In my opinion, if the first person to vote someone does so with good reason, they are not starting a bandwagon; they are scumhunting.  If a second, third, or more players vote the same person, all with thier own good reasons, they are also scumhunting. 

If Player A votes for Player B (who has a number of votes on them already) without stating reasons (or stating poor ones), then Player A is hopping on a bandwagon. 

If Player A is voting for Player B and encourages other players to vote for Player B without giving substantial reasons, then Player A is encouraging a bandwagon.

The reasons why a player does/says something strongly contribute to whether it's scummy or not.  This is why we encourage you to back up everything you say and do with your reasoning for doing so.]
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27