Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: GAME OVER, Scum Victory!  (Read 64702 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: Level 1 Begins!
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2012, 08:32:14 pm »

Also, sorry about not being on top of that post I promised, but I've had a crappy day, so I really don't feel like slogging through all those words right now...
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »

Sorry, I can't go on the forums much any more, so
Request Replacement.
I'd comment snarkily but I'm in no position to. Hope you can join a game for good sometime, it's a lot more satisfying (and instructive) than just getting the first day.

Extend, though I doubt it. I guess I'll unvote Deathsword just on principle, but I get the feeling BMC's lynch is an inertiawagon.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2012, 09:48:28 pm »

Request Replacement.
I'd comment snarkily but I'm in no position to. Hope you can join a game for good sometime, it's a lot more satisfying (and instructive) than just getting the first day.

Extend, though I doubt it. I guess I'll unvote Deathsword just on principle, but I get the feeling BMC's lynch is an inertiawagon.

*obvious eyebrow raise*  You think?  I like how only the ICs and BMC himself are not voting for him.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2012, 09:57:59 pm »

*obvious eyebrow raise*  You think?  I like how only the ICs and BMC himself are not voting for him.
I didn't realize it was that bad. 9 people is a smaller game than I'm used to.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »

I didn't realize it was that bad. 9 people is a smaller game than I'm used to.
[I am a terrible person]
'ey!  It's not the size of the game wot counts; It's how you use it!
[/I am a terrible person]

I will go back to being serious now.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:01 pm »

BMC:
Could you please explain all your reasons for voting Fiskav right now?
He's been almost (had been) entirely avoiding

BMC: I'm sure you've at least skimmed the tips (or old games), so why the hell are you trying a last-ditch blackmail attempt? It won't help town stop a mislynch, and it certainly won't help scum like you. You have given me zero reason, in your behavior or response, to think that you're town.
I knew I might be going away, and, I wasn't counting on an extend. I'm not trying to blackmail, I'm making possible preparations. It's more like a will than a "you guys are fucked if you kill me" type of thing. Blackmail never really works, unless you're trying to warn the town about getting the brunt of an on death effect.

BMC:  Also, promising future content and failing to deliver.
If you had checked my profile I haven't been on in the past four days, so don't give me the "you bait and switched, scum!11" bit.

Further reason on why BMC is scum, or is acting very scummy: In his latest posts, he seems quite desperate on trying to escape the lynch. I am not going to repeat what I already stated earlier unless necessary.
In addition to what I said to Flying Dice, I'd also like to say that people like to defend you. I am determined that YOU are scum, if only becuase people happen to defend you and pressure vote any investigation quite a bit. Scum with who, I don't know, but right now Deathsword wouldn't look out of place at the bottom of a fish tank.

Restating my case on BMC:

Keeps misunderstanding (I belive it's intentonally, but could be wrong on this one) statements by others.
He voted for me right after I FoS'ed him.
When questioned, he was defensive and seemed angry. Often repeating the same arguments.
Appears to be desperate with the concept of being lynched, and tried to make the lynch seem like a bad idea.

These are the main reasons I am quite sure he is scum, and thus my vote is on him.
I voted for you because I got chainsawed after I put a bit of pressure on you. I have a feeling the better part of your voting is OMGUS after all that questioning. And among all the evidence against me, that's probably the worst. Flying dice has believable points, and to an extent so does Theoldus, but you could do better with some specification on "Often repeating the same arguments.

BlackMageChill, mainly because he's been overly accusatory this entire game, then he became overly defensive when questioned, and now he's just giving up in one big hissy-fit.
I'm more offended about the capitalization than the vote. Tone down the shift key, please.

Request Replacement.

You and me both, bro.  At least you guys know a pro when you see one. :D

@ChaosArmor: Just Echoing shakerag here, what exactly do you have on me?

@abculatter_2: I'm not giving up yet bro. What's your deal? Anything specific that sticks out to you that I did is scummy?

Everything pretty much went to shit while I was gone (thankfully you guys lurk a whole lot), just start arranging your cases against me and I will deal with them at will. Tomorrow though, I think this post could be insomnia comprehension.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2012, 10:37:38 pm »

BMC:
Could you please explain all your reasons for voting Fiskav right now?
He's been almost (had been) entirely avoiding
Go on...?

In addition to what I said to Flying Dice, I'd also like to say that people like to defend you. I am determined that YOU are scum, if only becuase people happen to defend you and pressure vote any investigation quite a bit. Scum with who, I don't know, but right now Deathsword wouldn't look out of place at the bottom of a fish tank.

I voted for you because I got chainsawed after I put a bit of pressure on you. I have a feeling the better part of your voting is OMGUS after all that questioning. And among all the evidence against me, that's probably the worst. Flying dice has believable points, and to an extent so does Theoldus, but you could do better with some specification on "Often repeating the same arguments.
This is no good, especially the first part. There's no reason being defended by someone would make them more likely to be scum, unless you assume the defenders are their buddies. But, that only works if the people defending them are scum.

Saying "I don't know who your partners are, but I know YOU are scum because others defend you" is like saying "I don't know who your accomplices are, but I know you did it because you hang around the people who did it." If the only reason you know they're scum is because their buddies are jumping to their defense, shouldn't you know exactly who their buddies are, and moreover, shouldn't you be more sure that their buddies are scum than they are? A townie could still be defended by scum for some reason, whereas you're trying to say that there's no chance that a townie would defend someone else in that manner, right?

That said, requesting clarification, examples, etc. is generally valid.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2012, 10:42:39 pm »

Fuuuuuuuck. I'm awful with quote management. That being said, Fiskav had been entirely avoiding scum hunting. Buuuut, he quit, so that doesn't matter.

Noting all that IC stuff, and I should be less assuming about people defending other people. I think I need to dial  back the J. Edgar Hoover a little bit.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2012, 12:07:57 am »

The extra lives discussed their situation in the microseconds between meaningful input. Ryu Hayabusa hung frozen over a particularly dangerous pit.

"It's blackmagechill." Chaos Armor argued. "It has to be."

"No!" blackmagechill shouted. "It's not me! I count positively towards the extra life counter!"

"There's an easy way to find out." Flying Dice said menacingly.

Without blackmagechill's approval or consent, the extra lives botched the jump and made him take the fall. Ryu Hayabusa fell off a wall he would normally have clung onto. As he descended, the extra lives patiently watched the counter.

Unfortunately...

The extra lives will have to do better in the upcoming levels, but now they must prepare for the fearsome foe at the end of the level.

Boss Battle 1 begins!

[5] blackmagechill: Chaos Armor, borno, Deathsword, Flying Dice, Theodolus, abculatter_2
[1] Deathsword: blackmagechill
[1] borno: Shakerag

blackmagechill has been lynched! He was an Extra Life (Vanilla Town)!

It is now Night 1. Night 1 will end Tomorrow 9:00 PM MST or when I receive all actions.

Tiruin has replaced borno.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:10:47 am by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: Boss Battle 1!
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »

Shakerag leaps over the boss and slashes him with his two frame animation. The health bar descends to zero.

"Who'd we lose?" He asks as the score counts.

Everyone looks around and does a quick head count. "Nobody." Normally the kid loses a life every boss battle. The extra lives are impressed.

The extra lives temper their elation, as there are more levels to come and they still have not found the two saboteurs among them. The score count finishes, and...

Level 2 begins!

It is now Day 2.

Day 2 will end Wednesday 9:00 PM MST.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: Level 2 Starts Well!
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:50 am »

[Okay everyone, welcome to day 2.  First of all, let's see everyone get active again.  Now we have some concrete information as opposed to just speculative information on D1.  BMC, to most people's dismay, is dead, and he has been post-humously confirmed town.  Now is the time to go back and read over D1 with that knowledge.]

[I'm just going to pre-empt discussion about the night kill (or lack thereof) now.  Generally speaking, trying to analyize who died overnight and why is nothing but a WIFOM-generator.]

And now in my in-game voice, I'll state that either we have a doctor who made a good guess (and shouldn't claim they are the doctor!), or the scumteam is trying to do something crafty (which I would be inclined to think that the scum-IC would advise against).  Given the chance that the latter could be true, I'd advise against the cop claiming (if we have one) unless they have a positive (i.e. scum) result. 

Clarification: Logically, and based off his posts and history this game, I get a very scummy feel from BMC. The gut feeling that he's just a newb townie comes from reading a previous mafia game he was in, in which his behavior was much the same and he ended up a townie. However I find basing a vote on a feeling that is influenced by a completely unrelated incident to be bad form. In other words, logic and thought based off current behavior outweighs 'gut feelings' based off prior behavior. (That's what I get for typing a mafia post while on a steady dose of percocet)
[Basically what you're describing there is known in more common nomenclature as a "meta-tell".  Which basically boils down to "player a usually acts like x when he's town and acts like y when he's scum, therefore since he's acting like x|y, he must be town|scum".  Some players around here use that more than others.  I'm inclined to advise to not bother with meta-tells in general.  Having said that, there can be some exceptions, but that's not really relevant to the scope of this game.]

What would be the most important thing to remember... Hmmm... I would say, stay low-key, and don't go hoppin' around voting on everyone. But I'm a nub, so what would I know?
[Not much.  Yet, anyway.  The most important thing to remember is to scumhunt.  It doesn't matter if you're town or scum, that is the most important thing.  Staying low-key can make you look lurky and/or passive, which may lead to your lynching.  Vote-hopping can look scummy as well, but if you have (and state!) good reasons for switching your vote each time, then that really isn't too suspicious.]

So, Deathsword, who's your top scumpick now and why?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2012, 11:01:55 am »

My top suspicions currently are Chaos Armor and Fiskav abculatter_2.

The problem with fiskav/abculatter is that whiel fiskav did act somwhat scummy (abculatter even commented on it), abculatter himself hasn't done anything that I could consider scummy.

Chaos Armor, on the other hand, jumped on BMC while he (BMC) and I were accusing each other. While he claimed it was a pressure vote, he kept the vote for the rest of the day without giving any more reasons.

Chaos Armor, did you use BMC's attacks on me (and mine on him) as a convenient excuse to attack him, or did you have any other reasons for that?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2012, 08:58:00 pm »

[That's funny - I could have sworn we still had eight players left, not two.  Would everyone else who signed up for this game like to start participating in it?]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2012, 08:02:19 am »

abculatter_2 (Any way to shortcut your username, sir?)

As for #2... I actually have a few #2s...
Fiskav PPE: OH WHOOPS LOL I'M REPLACING HIM! (Which means next day, I should totally vote myself, because I've obviously now inherited his scumminess! ... Despite the fact that I can now see his alignment!)

Chaos Armor, as Flying Dice's points are very good, and we've yet to hear back from him.

Also, Deathsword acted rather defensively when accused by BMC, and as everyone else has pointed out, his arguments were illogical and panicky.
Why are you FoS'ing CA without making points of your own, and substituting FD's points? Also, I hope you're learning how to balance humor, because your first statement seems confusing in the least.

Bluh, brother's been on pretty much since i left that last post...

abculatter_2
First off, how about answering the last half of Shakerag's question: what's your mafia experience, if any? After that, what do you believe is the number one thing you as a mafia player should remember during this game?

Whoops, forgot about that second part, lol...
I've tried one mafia game before this which I can remember, which was over mibbit. I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do, so I ended up just saying, "lol fuckit" and pretty much suicided by making everyone think I was mafia. I'm definitely going to put more effort into this game, though.

As for your question... Well, the first thing I'd try to remember is that I'm not a mafia player, but I'll just pretend I have amnesia...
What would be the most important thing to remember... Hmmm... I would say, stay low-key, and don't go hoppin' around voting on everyone. But I'm a nub, so what would I know?
How does your brother being on(line?) have to do with this?

Could you clarify the bolded portions?

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2012, 11:29:13 am »

((sorry work and life is been busier than expected))

Tiruin
what sort of experience do you have playing Mafia? how does it feel to be replacing somebody who is suspected to be scum? as the Godfather what would be your long-term plan to best leverage your position? As the cop how would you go about uncovering the Godfather?

IronyOwl
it's strange that you speak about having to be completely active to be able to do anything in this game and then you end up lurking for extended periods of time. I find it suspicious that despite admitting that your vote on death sword would've been better had it been fresher you retained it until you knew that it would do absolutely no good one way or the other because BMC was being inertia-lynched. despite the fact that you have been on frequently you haven't been scum hunting and haven't been doing anything to further town goals.
Also, I hope not summarily lynching you for not answering my questions is what's giving you the idea that ignoring them works.
can you explain exactly what you're trying to say here? I'm a bit confused why you would want him to think ignoring a question works despite the fact that you followed up and said that if he hadn't answered them in a real game you would've lynched him by now.

abculatter_2
it's interesting that you say that you're going to attempt to play the game seriously and then every time you answer a question you joke and dance around giving a solid answer.
As for your question... Well, the first thing I'd try to remember is that I'm not a mafia player, but I'll just pretend I have amnesia...
so just to clarify you think that rather than going scum hunting it's more important to try to stay out of the limelight?
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27