Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 95

Author Topic: BYOR 0 - Game Over: Everyone Dies, SK wins  (Read 193464 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 0 - Day 1: Lenglon and Shakerag Fusion Dance
« Reply #570 on: June 04, 2017, 04:19:12 pm »

Also the last Web BYOR had over 600 posts, about 450 were during the game, and over 100 were postgame revelations. This post is #570 and D1 isn't over yet.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 04, 2017, 04:22:05 pm »

Flabort
I'll elaborate on this (a lot) when I get time in ~15 hours, but his comments on WIFOM support the subsequent claim that he is a scum redirector, and he's not tried to hunt in his dump since returning.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 04, 2017, 04:55:03 pm »

Persus - it is permanant until/unless actively changed.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 04, 2017, 04:56:37 pm »

Actions resolve as though we are the same person.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 04, 2017, 05:02:22 pm »

Flabort - in your first one of your two most recent walls of text you commented on two posts of mine about how you wished you had been more active and responded to them as they happened. What would you have said/done?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 04, 2017, 05:31:28 pm »

Even without a full analysis of what all has gone on I have huge problems with flabort's so-called "reads list" that I'd like to talk about for a moment.

Allow me to list my problems in a shorthand form.  Very few scumreads with most of them being on strong players who, if not scum, could be a danger to the scumteam?  Check.  A lot of reads that give little more description than buzzwords like "content" and "activity"?  Check.  Agreeing with a person voting on you, a reasonably common scum strategy to try and buy some capital with said player?  Check.  Seemingly arbitrary town/scum values to some players in the middle range?  Check.

Now, a more specific conversation on that last point: I specifically dislike his reads on me, OSG, and Tea.  Let's start with Tea, who I feel was given a rather arbitrary neutral read.  He justifies this read with "nothing unusual enough to base a read on" but let's look at another player like that, I didn't do anything particularly unusual when I was active, and he gave me a "was town but now leaning neutral/third-party" (I'll get to that in a minute).  In addition, everything he said about Tea would indicate a small town read, from "gut feeling to trust her" to "active, lots of content" and yet he hesitates to give her the town read that his description of her actions would warrant without giving any points against her.  This feels very much like a scum trying not to place his scumbuddy too high on his reads list and if flabort is scum I'd say there's better than average odds that Tea is too.

Now, OSG's.  The player who has barely posted this game even by my standards.  The guy who is asking to be replaced.  And yet for some reason flabort decides "oh yeah, OSG is pulling some kind of active-lurking gambit" and then places as neutral despite this accusation.  I have very, very rarely seen anyone lie about their rationale for not being in a game when they explain real life circumstances: in fact, I've never seen it.  The most recent time I saw a scum actively try to avoid attention by disappearing off the face of the planet was TBF in Paranormal 25 and he never gave an explanation for that behavior.  Deciding that this is an activelurking gambit of some kind is just silly and casts needless shade on what is currently an empty slot, and provides nothing to the game itself.

Now, mine.  I have no problem with people calling me out on my inactivity, especially when it's well-deserved (sorry again...).  What I do have a problem with is arbitrary changes to people's reads based on inactivity that don't take into account what benefit the inactivity might have to that player as various roles.  In my case, there was literally no benefit in going inactive: I had a decent position built up and as town, scum, or third-party I would want to further that strength in order to further my goals in the rest of the game.  Going AFK provided no tangible benefit because there was no suspicion to avoid, no unfortunate events to allow to fade from memory, and no reason why I should hold back on my thoughts in a game where I could theoretically die at any moment.  Thus, like with most long periods of inactivity, it is NIA: make up your mind on what I am based on what I say and don't say, rather than a work-induced period of absence.

Also, flabort, do you actually have an explanation for why you called me "leaning third party" or is that just filler too like so much else of your reads?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 04, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »

unvote
welcome back.
I look forward to you finishing your review.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 04, 2017, 06:37:48 pm »

unvote
welcome back.
I look forward to you finishing your review.
Don't expect too much from it, most of the stuff that I miss gets filed away in the back of my brain for later use unless I see something particularly egregious.  As a general rule if I can't respond the day of to something and it wasn't addressed to/about me I won't bring it up even if I notice something about it, especially on Day one, because it's a lot of effort for something that's likely almost lost to the memory of the poster and questioning it just muddies the waters.  They're also less effective things to read me off of since I have a long time to think about my responses and could thus, assuming I'm scum, find a townie response to anything I pleased.

That being said, now that I'm back I'll be able to actually respond to things in the moment so hey, more content from me.  Joy.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 04, 2017, 06:44:55 pm »

4mask - okay, well, doll compiled a readslist several posts back with the intention of using it to decide upon her two nightkills for N1. the bottom three on that list (including 3 because D1 lynch) were FoU, flabort, and TDS.

are there any people you would swap out on that list of three D1 kills?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 04, 2017, 09:52:17 pm »

PFP
Tiruin/Pozzai:
Also, if 3-man scumteam (why do you assume this? What factors are involved?) how many 3Ps if any would you think exists ?
Webadict's BYOR have had a variety of scum opponents and assuming its a vanilla game might be a bad idea considering the past two BYORs. BYOR 14 had 16 players and two scumteams of three players each and a mafia ally, and was the one where Shakerag constantly committed suicide. BYOR13 had 17 players, no mafia and 5 Sks and an Sk-ally, and was the one Shakerag won, despite being the D1 lynch. Hopefully this mafia game will be a bit more tame, although the Shakerag shenanigan of the game has already begun, it seems. So a three man scum team is possible, personally i think its a little on the small side. We simply don't know at this point, and making assumptions is a bad idea. In BYOR 13, no one figured out that there were 5 SKs and no Mafia until webadict told them in dead chat, or by the end of the game.

Spoiler: Notable quotes (click to show/hide)
Oh right .-. forgot that BYOR is unconventional gameplay.
>_>
Well at least it makes me magnetizing a lot better I guess :V All malevolence to me! [So I can boop you on the nose back. HAH!]

TBF seems scummy because his posts are low on substance. He makes cases on people that only exist because he ignores things they say (see my vote on him). Sometimes it seems like he's just pushing a lynch to push a lynch and not to actually find scum.
[...]
To share a bit of my notes--TBF is glaringly neutral because he's displaying a total lack of towniness he had in that one game doll is grumpy at him about, and more on because there's a rather major lack of his activity and content this game thus far <_<
But I've learned not to see him scummy just because of that, as it's still a work in progress.
TBF: I'd like to ask you a few things; first is what do you think about people's insights or perspectives of you thus far. Second is what do you think of your own activity and content thus far. :O

ALso TDS: admit it. You were busy winning 15-rune wins for Bay12 in DCSS rather than playing here because you were totally busy in the tournament that coincidentally happened at the time this game is running. And more.
:P
But seriously why the active-lurking @_@
Also can you teach me your secrets in DCSS

TDS/Flabort/4mask, and others who were inactive. I'd like to ask what you think about others in a way that you'll follow up on them later on {I'll give my own but still busy x.x}; rather than an ordinal list that would place people on a tangible position over others, who do you see as important to communicate with and;
who will you follow up on later, regardless of N1?

Even without a full analysis of what all has gone on I have huge problems with flabort's so-called "reads list" that I'd like to talk about for a moment.
Oooo info! :3
Now I'm somewhat divided between wondering if you're voting him because you're scum, or he's scum, or both of you are town. Because you can't both be mafia given what you both did.

But that one statement from me to you is about how you noted down the people who weren't that active in his post.
OSG was, actually, active (and you can see it in his post history :P Like, seriously.)
And, honestly and personally--active lurking is widely emphasized; OVER-emphasized, as I'd believe, as a SCUMtell, because context defines the 'tell', and in how many games I recall with people who have done such things, there is little correlation on the people doing it and them being scum. It is MOREso that the people doing it have a certain pattern to how they do it, and their relation to their day-play.
Rather than them being scum.

Next...I think you didn't do your research and moreso poked him just because of what was present in this thread. You have a nice bit of insight there too!
[...]What I do have a problem with is arbitrary changes to people's reads based on inactivity that don't take into account what benefit the inactivity might have to that player as various roles.  In my case, there was literally no benefit in going inactive: I had a decent position built up and as town, scum, or third-party I would want to further that strength in order to further my goals in the rest of the game[...]
...But it's personal in perspective.

So what stood out on your case on Flabort? How he made his comparisons? How does that make him scummy?

Pozzai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 04, 2017, 10:15:52 pm »

dealing with that kind of person is exhausting.
I guess it's lucky I'm dying tonight then, eh?

So I've looked over some of the more questionable ones and I guess these are my reads in order of most to least town:
doll
Shakerag (via Lenglon)
Lenglon
Pozzai
Persus13
4maskwolf

Tea
hector13
TolyK
Jack A T
Tiruin

origamascienceguy
TheBiggerFish

TheDarkStar
flabort
FallacyOfUrist

Besides placing themselves at the top and me in some netherworld abyss, does anyone strongly disagree with this?
In particular, does anyone still have a problem with Tea, or any of the other players in the Black&Bold section?

I wouldn't miss any of the bot 3(or 5 for that matter), in terms of raw gut feeling when speaking their name and thinking about how they make me feel, Dark is probably the one I'd least like killed of the 5.

I'll look into re-reading them tomorrow, kind of tried  to get a bit of space to this game to potentially get out of tunnels, and to not drown people in more 'spamming', and I will support an extension if people feel they need it.

So in short, the 5 on bottom I'm okay'ish with dying, Tea could be swapped in and I need to re-read Tolyk of the neutrals to determine whether they fit in better than the others. So yeah, bottom 5+Tea+Tolyk is okay for me, till I re-read.

Also, never kill both Tea and FoU together, I feel like Tea and FaU is never mafia together, so if FaU flips mafia, and Tea is shot at the same time it removes a non-mafia, and if FoU flips town/3P I'd love to see Tea's re-analysis of the state of the game as I feel that could turn out really helpful at least for me to re-consider her if I'm wrong.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 04, 2017, 10:45:54 pm »

Webadict: Let's say a tracker follows the mafioso who carries out the kill.  If the mafioso is also targeting someone else with their own powers, the tracker would see both targets, yes?

Jack
Are you particularly attached to your role?
doll: More than usual for a BYOR: I sent something specific in and got a role that exceeded my expectations.

- You're voting Tea because she is questioning the effectiveness of how you're trying to get information? Or did I miss something?
TolyK: You missed something, though it's pretty clear I was unclear in the main voting post itself.  That said, vote's being dropped in this post.

@Jack I'm starting to ISO/LurkerTrack Persus now, can you go into more detail about your read on them?
Pozzai: One of the less memorable players this game, but he often is.  At the time of my read post, he had four posts.  This one stood out.  There, he's clearly engaged in the game, and questioning widely (and about serious topics, not just RVS junk).  Has actual suspects, too.  Generally a good sign: the appearance of caring about how people behave in-thread and wanting to gain information.  He's kept that up in his return, at a glance, and his frustration with reading the less-active players feels real.
That said, I'm cautious about my read.  Persus has long been one of the players I have the most trouble reading.

Tea: Unvote.  My growing unease about the vote was justified.  The oddly-aimed questions were less the efforts of scum trying to look good than those of someone very frustrated and trying to handle it.  Frustration that I misread as a much weaker and more common form of unease/discomfort routinely seen under pressure, as opposed to what was actually going on (which became far clearer with the Pozzai interaction).

I wooooooould like to know while I have your attention more about your opinion of Fallacy. You mentioned that his TolyK push is the main thing he's done - what's your assessment of that push?
Short and without much commitment.  His responses to my questions when I accepted TolyK's deal exemplify this.  "Potential threat."  "Potentially questionable."  This is pretty much the tone of his read on TolyK as well: a shrug of semi-suspicion from a player who never really left RVS.

Speaking of his reads...

Fallacy's reads come off as manufactured, existing for the sake of letting Fallacy post reads.  Why do I say this?  They come off as reflecting neither analysis nor, outside of the TolyK shrug, a personal view of other players gained from observation.  Everything but the TolyK shrug could have been written by anyone, and the list is largely just a quick stratification of players by loose content levels, hastily determined.  Nothing shows a distinct FoU way of looking at this game.  It is as if there were few to no thoughts on non-TolyK players, so they were thrown on a loose activity/content list.
That said, it's clear that part of the issue was that Fallacy is busy, which gets in the way.

Hmmm... no, I won't comment on the sitting votes. But I'll do the next best thing in my next post, and go over each person's voting history during my reads.
flabort: Alright, that's not quite what I wanted, but it could theoretically lead to similar engagement with the major issues of the time, so...
[mentions the votes of three players, including himself, then completely stops.]
...I guess I look forward to you doing it.  Look.  I asked you for comments on the current votes to force you, the distant observer, to engage with a wide set of immediate issues.  You refused for some reason (please explain).  Alright.  You promised an alternative, something you would do immediately instead of the sitting vote comments.  Alright.  You then proceeded to not even do that.  More precisely, you put a token effort in for a little bit, then stopped even trying to look like you were answering me.  Why?

But alright, I could sort of accept this if your return effort otherwise impressed.  Instead...no questions, a vote where the most specific point is that a player who has been busy for three days has dropped their conversations (compare this to the rest of the immediate wave against TDS, which focuses on his non-pursuit of cases/lack of questions and his lack of detail), that OSG read, and an intense interest in third parties (third on doll, third-leaning on 4mask, Pozzai could be a third party, Lenglon is odd and could be a vague something...).
flabort, tell me: what are you searching for?

TheDarkStar: Can you explain what exactly changed your read on Pozzai from unreadable to non-evil third party?  Also, you were concerned about Persus13's interactions with flabort in the old post.  What led to not strongly disagreeing with doll's town read of him?

Hope to have more later (look more widely, more carefully), but not tonight.  Not tonight.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 04, 2017, 11:29:38 pm »

...whoops. Looks like I failed to properly explain my thoughts.

Responses in the morning, but I have to tell you 4maskwolf that you completely misread my read on OSG. I thought they were doing an active lurking thing, up until their claim, so I WAS reading them as scum until I realized that they were legitimately unable to post, so I null-read them.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 05, 2017, 07:05:30 am »

Spoiler: Unrelated to the game (click to show/hide)

So.
Flabort

I figured out what was bugging me - where that gut feeling scumread was coming from on an otherwise strong RVS player.
Spoiler: Can you see it? (click to show/hide)
See, Flabort was certain, right from the start, that I was WIFOMing. His assumption was that I was not legitimately claiming, and even in considering that I was he appears to have assumed the implicit in the fullclaim was WIFOM as to whether or not the fullclaim was legitimate. In other words, Flabort placed a very high value on determining, for himself (i.e. intellectually) whether or not my claim was legitimate.
See, this all but revealed his role; clearly he either had some interest in blocking me preemptively (trying to leave room to weasel in my lynch on D1) or getting enough of an idea of my powers as to know how to target something which could block me. It was like a gust of wind blowing away the cobwebs of doubt when he claimed that he was a redirector: I don't know why he claimed or if it was legitimate, but I do know that he claimed because he is scum and he does want to know my role on Day 1.
This is important, see, because nobody else does (in the town, anyway). Why is this? Because the town knows what it's going to do with me; nothing until D2. I'm beyond saving, largely unstoppable, and self-resolving. If I'm running counter to town interests it'll be obvious by D2, and that's a thousand times better than any ambiguous lynch. Town have no interest in me on this day. That is the whole point of my fullclaiming. After all, I know that I would never be lynched Day 1 if I didn't want to be (pretentious, perhaps, but an authentic rendition of my experience of the truth) and I knew that my hunting would be hugely tilted and unbalancing because of my pure focus on D1 (a good example of this is my read on 4maskwolf, which I'll address later). So, claiming gets town night actions off of me and lets me apply pressure in my hunt to multiple people at once. It also lets me tell everyone about those all important unblockable & extra night action powers and my various post-death abilities, which town need to know about to plan effectively.
Now, why didn't flabort get this?

Well, see, from a scum perspective, my claim is not so clear cut. See, scum need to know what they can do to stop my kills, they see a strong town power role (something which is always easy to lynch - because I have more information than the rest of the town (re: my suite of powers)), they see a player who they have to respond to because they can threaten and carry out multiple kills.
Now, with my claim, it would be obvious if I was redirected. Only scum would want to redirect me, given that it wastes at least one town-owned kill without redeeming itself by preventing my death, as well as totally shutting down most or all of my undeath-powers. At this point, it is obvious that there are a lot of role-inspections floating around. Flabort, as a redirector, had a problem. I would suspect this is why he claimed. However, as he may be keen to point out, this actually is WIFOM. I don't care though, because the point is I believe his claim; I mention role-inspectors only because it gives me a reason to suspect that flabort himself may be the redirector as opposed to a random other member of the scum team.

Now, why would a scum redirector like flabort consider my claim to be WIFOM? Because it induces WIFOM - in scum redirectors. Town redirectors, of course, would just not target me at night. Even the threat of redirecting me (preventing my kill) is decidedly ... anti-town. So why is there all this wine in the air, according to flabort? Because for flabort, it does matter whether or not my claim is true. No other player (that is, no player who is town) actually cares, because at worst I'm giving them a free out to lynch me - Day 2. Since I'm unblockable and truly unavoidably dying, they don't even have to worry about whether or not to night-action me. Only scum need to think about that. Scum like flabort.

Perhaps an elegant way of summing up:
Who does WIFOM benefit? Nobody but scum. But Doll here has created much more WIFOM than anyone in the game.
Reads
doll:
1) Either I've fucked up Day 1 for no reason at all and am the most obvious lynch possible on Day 2, or I'm not going to be here come Day 2
2) Therefore, vote me if I am alive D2+ and don't vote me otherwise
Plenty of WIFOM here. Time to throw some more out.

That's where my gut feeling comes from.
If you can follow why I feel that way (flabort is scum) then sure, follow along.
Otherwise, I'll attempt to construct an entirely unrelated lynch on flabort. After all, I just want to see him hang. It's important that he hangs specifically (as opposed to FoU) because his not hanging threatens my ability to kill FoU; I think that they are both scum, and I'll do my best to convince you of that so that you lynch flabort this Day 1.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 05, 2017, 07:07:20 am »

Now Tiruin doesn't seem to get it, but active-lurking is the only scumtell.
That is to say, we're not using the term active-lurking correctly at all because I started using it 'wrong' in an earlier game and now it's stuck.
What I mean is, scum don't go looking for town.
Now, it's commonly thought that scum don't go looking for scum either, but that's untrue. Scum have just as much reason to find scum as we do, if not more. Scum want to know where the serial killers are and lynch them. Scum want to identify other scum teams and lynch them. Scum want to locate weak town players and lynch them. Scum don't care; they want to lynch scummy players like the rest of us because just because they are scum does not necessarily mean they are the people we will identify as scummy.

Anyone who read the recent BM up until everyone replaced out and it effectively died is going to be familiar with what is coming next:
Here are all of Flabort's posts in this game:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 95