Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Round 18 - Game Over  (Read 124714 times)

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Round 18
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2011, 01:44:46 am »

Unvote Lensfail, vote NativeForeigner. Why is the number of votes on him related to you not voting him if you think he's not lynchworthy anyway?

Because I don't want him to get lynched without a decent reason behind it.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2011, 01:50:07 am »

But would you have voted him if he didn't have any votes but the circumstances were otherwise the same?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2011, 01:55:13 am »

But would you have voted him if he didn't have any votes but the circumstances were otherwise the same?

Yeah, pressure him a little. But he already had enough pressure.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2011, 03:07:31 am »

I'm shocked I got this far without any posts by me or votes against me. I'm a ninja! Here's what I've got so far.

I'm taking this oppurtunity to say I fully support massclaiming today, tomorrow, any day, any game, anytime.

Toaster, I find two kooks unlikely.
Unless there's been a game with two before?

Zathras, I claimed already. I wouldn't have if Toaster hadn't. See above.

So wait, if Toaster hadn't of claimed you wouldn't of? Why? How does that make any sense? How does Toaster claiming kook affect you claiming kook?

For reference, anyone who doesn't claim kook d1 and tries to claim kook later on is scum. End of story. There is no reason whatsoever not to claim kook d1.

Book, as the exterminator, which techs would you pick?
I find the timing of your question interesting: are you an ext, looking for help in figuring out what to pick? I will leave your question unanswered, in case there is an Ext out there (whether it's you or not) I'd rather not assist with tech choices. Let him pick the lamest ones.

Pfffft, this is lame. What's the point of asking RVS questions if you're just going to refuse to answer them?

If there is an Exterminator out there with half a brain he won't need your advice on it, and if he does need advice on tech choices he'll probably reveal himself in other ways. So just answer the question.

Ottofar, if you think two kooks are unlikely, why aren't you willing to vote Toaster over it?

Why is the answer to this RVS question so important that you're bypassing Book's logical reasoning? What's strange is that it's not your RVS question, it's Ottofar's. It's almost as though you don't care about the answer, you just want to paint Book in a bad light. Nice try, Jim Groovester.

Why are you trying to convince Ottofar into voting Toaster over evidence you know is null-tell? Trying to convince Ottofar to question Toaster is fine. Trying to convince Ottofar to vote Toaster over it is not since that bypasses the question-asking stage, the most important part for us townies. Not that you would know about asking questions or anything since you're a doppleganger.

Because I'm not paying attention.

I'd blame that on Sleep Deprivation, having worked on a school project until 3am.

But yes,Unvote MBP
Vote Toaster

PPE: It did?

Ah well. My vote's on you for now.
Sleep tim.

No explanation for this vote. No question asking, nothing. Looks like Jim's motivational techniques to get you to make a huge mistake are working as intended.

So I see. Yes, gambler's fallacy notwithstanding, I find it suspicious of both of you, though I think Toaster would be better at getting away with it as scum strategy.

Toaster: yes, extra attention is garnered, but as we saw in earlier games, if it can be withstood it leaves the person almost confirmed-townie and won't be inspected, which is an ideal position for a crafty scum.

And in what way is claiming kook suspicious? How is it more suspicious than anything else? Yes, scum would do it, but you know else does it? Kooks. Feel free to question kooks since there's a higher than normal chance they're scum, but you can't do a lynch-all-kooks program. Not only would you lynch kooks 90% of the time, it would discourage anyone from actually claiming kook in the first place.

Your position here is textbook WIFOM. "Scum wouldn't want to get attention. Since I know they don't want attention, anyone getting attention must be town. So what if they know I know attention is bad. Then they'd attract attention. So anyone who attracts attention must be scum!"
No, just stop it. Don't spread this shit around, just stop. Question the kooks if you want or question someone else, I don't care. You don't need to justify asking questions.

Who the fuck is going to care about what tech choices you would've taken by Day 2?

It's a decent RVS question. Your refusal is bullshit. You have a problem with people getting reads on you? Because that's more important than whatever inconsequential speculation you make up.

Seriously, get over yourself. If there is an Exterminator I doubt he's going to be hanging on to your every word.

How is this a decent RVS question? How does Book's response possibly implicate or exonerate him? And how is Book's idea of not wanting to help an exterminator out "inconsequential? If there's a beginner extie or clueless extie, they're very likely to take Book's advice if it's logical. This has nothing to do with Book being reliable or knowledgeable since Book could very just be recycling things other people have said. But oh no, this particular question you didn't ask is SO FUCKING IMPORTANT you HAVE to have the answer NOW! Nevermind the question is actually irrelevant and potentially helpful to a noob extie.

You don't even know what Ottofar was thinking when he asked this. It looks like Ottofar didn't really care and just used this as any old RVS question. So the logical course would of been to ask another question or, better yet, ask more deeply into why Book isn't answering this one. You did neither. Instead, you stuck your fingers in your ears and demanded Book answer this question or be scum. The only reason I can think of to take such an asinine stance is that you want to implicate Book via any methods necessary.

I'd vote you for your refusing to answer a question but I'm already voting you.

Everything worked out great!

Oh, ok. So when Book does answer the question anyways you just go ahead and hold your vote. That's just stupid. Let's not ask Book questions or listen to what Book is saying, let's just take a stance of "do X or you're scum" and disregard the other person's reasoning for why doing X is a bad idea. Herp derp.

Webadict, how could massclaiming help ? At worst that would reveal cops and guardians to the dopp, or cause myslinchs if they refuse to reveal. Can't see it helping.
I think he meant a kook massclaim. But yeah, fishy.

In what way is this fishy? Everyone else at least had the decency to explain themselves (poorly), yet you just try to coast by with everyone else's reasoning. Interesting.

Oh , this tripe again.

Whatever Org may be, consistent attack on him for being Org is lazy. This tripe is getting old.

To Web, leeway or not you cause hard situation for some town roles. Guardians should never claim, since they are(in my opinion) the most powerfull town role. Claiming is idiotic ( at least until late game) since you basically sacrifice yourself. Not claiming is the same, youll get mislynched or the scum will catch on to it and NK.  Scum is hardly that impared. Sure thing like reporter or scan can invalidate the claim, but again they know who to target. You could protect guardians and scans by using pm etc, but again why massclaim in the first place ?

Because there's an optimal arrangement of power roles that will result in the best power roles getting protections and inspections. Any other arrangement is suboptimal. There's a myriad of ways for the town to use their PR. There's about 100-200 for the scum to use theirs. If you focus on one aspect, the mafiakill vs protections, let's assume there's 2 town-based protections floating around and the only kill is by the mafia. There's 12 (I think, let's say 12) arrangements for the mafia. There's a definitive best player for them to kill, which they'll pick based on the day game. There's 144 arrangements for the town here, one of which is optimal. It's far more likely to get a suboptimal arrangement than the optimal one for the town, but the scum's chances are actually pretty good.

Sure, D1 MC results in the town's PR's getting killed, but if the mafia are killing based on PR and ignoring the day game, the town's day game is enhanced. So either the town gets an enhanced day game or more PR information. Win-win. Sure, guardian's don't actually stop the mafiakill, but there's bigger fish to fry, like catching the scum with information traps.

Granted, there's a good reason not to D1 MC; if we do, there won't be a lot of scumhunting since we'll wind up talking about roles for 90% of the time left in the game.

That's lazy of you JTF. I could go with a NO YOU but that aint my style. Of course scum-hunting could make the town get a win, but with most power roles out town got almost no breathing room. Worst if there also Sk, aliens, etc.

I'm against Webadict idea of a massclaim, thus voted him. Currently explaining the reasons why that massclaim idea would be more nuisible to town more than to scum. Again, he said it was only a strategy option, but i find the idea would be weird coming from town, and so here we are.

Yes observant guard is also a good thing, but again not present all the time, and assasin bot/bombs etc would make that useless.

Finally, to get back to scumhunting; I'm reading everyone post intently, and looking for clues. I'm not asking much question day 1, since nothing much happened yet. You'll see later on

Aw, the eternal problem. You see, you're actually not scumhunting. You're scumlooking, but you ain't hunting. You're hunting as much as a man sitting in his house hoping a deer will walk in.

Alright, what have you managed to learn, so far?

I believe that one of them is lying. My first guess would be that toaster is the one lying, and want to use it as a cover (like Zath never stop talking about). I have trouble believing that scum would claim to be the second Kook.

Toaster, wait and see is not what i do all game. Theres not much information around, and so, i simply keep reading. When i see something interesting I ask about it

Why do you have that opinion that scum wouldn't claim to be the second kook? You've brought forth an argument with no reasoning behind it.

Unvote.

What if everyone takes the "wait and see" approach?  If no one jumps out and takes the initiative, how will you find scum?

Someone always jumps out; someone like you, Toaster. For one thing, I'm a big proponent of the "wait and see" approach, and your attack on it is the same level of bullshit that it's been every time you've used it on me: it works for me, I know what I'm doing, and it's never been a tool I've used as scum because, guess what, scum has better things to do, like painting town to be the bad guy for doing something else. Like what you're doing here.

I also don't like the way you moved your vote as soon as someone pointed it out. That's just bad in general. If you felt like your question was enough to vote for him, why didn't you pursue it at all? In fact, you just dropped it and asked Meph a question. What's the deal with that?

Scum does not always have something better to do since, get this, a lot of players tend to lurk as scum. You get more active. So your statement is only applicable to yourself, which obviously begs the question why you're attempting to apply it to Toaster. In particular, what makes you so angry that Toaster is mad at MBP for lurking through the day right now? It's perfectly acceptable to be mad at MBP for lurking through the day since it's bullshit. Maybe not a hugeass scumtell or anything, but certainly worth scumhunting MBP over. So what about Toaster's argument is bullshit, exactly?

Unvoting his RVS vote? That's a null tell at best. I expect more questioning from you since you can't possibly have a read on Toaster since he hasn't done anything scummy whatsoever under any stretch of the imagination.

Jokerman:  I bug you about the "wait and see" move because I don't like it.  I don't like it when anyone does it, hence me going after MBP for doing it.  What makes you say MBP is town?

Jokerman didn't say MBP was town. What makes you think he did? Considering you never answered when Jokerman himself asked you. Or was that related to you not being on at all to post?

@Book: Why made you think Jokerman said MBP was town. You definetly glossed over the issue, which I find to be VERY scummy coming from you since I know it was intentional.

In general however, I do agree that a Kook claim in itself is a null tell: it doesn't make people scummy on its own, but it doesn't make them townier either. I caution people from falling into that trap, because fakeclaiming it is a viable (if ballsy/non-optimal) strategy for scum. If you're a kook, there are good reasons for claiming, and there are good reasons not to. People's scuminess will be weighted and decided on other factors.

Alright, I'll bite. What good reason is there to not claim Kook? I can't even imagine. I've put forth a "lynch-all-non-D1-kook-claimers" position that I will be holding. So there's a vote for any late kook claimers (which isn't guaranteed). Pretty sure Webadict is also holding that position. So that's two votes. Waiting on a kook claim hurts the town. It hurts Agents since they'll try to inspect you and waste it. The only situation where an unclaimed-kook is good is in the situation where a scum is fakeclaiming Agent and claimed to inspect a kook and get a town result. Since I think a REAL Agent is more likely than a fake scum one, I'd say kook-claiming-D1 is the ONLY acceptable way to play so as to not waste any Agent inspections.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:03 am »

Book, as the exterminator, which techs would you pick?
I find the timing of your question interesting: are you an ext, looking for help in figuring out what to pick? I will leave your question unanswered, in case there is an Ext out there (whether it's you or not) I'd rather not assist with tech choices. Let him pick the lamest ones.

Pfffft, this is lame. What's the point of asking RVS questions if you're just going to refuse to answer them?

If there is an Exterminator out there with half a brain he won't need your advice on it, and if he does need advice on tech choices he'll probably reveal himself in other ways. So just answer the question.

Ottofar, if you think two kooks are unlikely, why aren't you willing to vote Toaster over it?

Why is the answer to this RVS question so important that you're bypassing Book's logical reasoning? What's strange is that it's not your RVS question, it's Ottofar's. It's almost as though you don't care about the answer, you just want to paint Book in a bad light. Nice try, Jim Groovester.

. . .

Who the fuck is going to care about what tech choices you would've taken by Day 2?

It's a decent RVS question. Your refusal is bullshit. You have a problem with people getting reads on you? Because that's more important than whatever inconsequential speculation you make up.

Seriously, get over yourself. If there is an Exterminator I doubt he's going to be hanging on to your every word.

How is this a decent RVS question? How does Book's response possibly implicate or exonerate him? And how is Book's idea of not wanting to help an exterminator out "inconsequential? If there's a beginner extie or clueless extie, they're very likely to take Book's advice if it's logical. This has nothing to do with Book being reliable or knowledgeable since Book could very just be recycling things other people have said. But oh no, this particular question you didn't ask is SO FUCKING IMPORTANT you HAVE to have the answer NOW! Nevermind the question is actually irrelevant and potentially helpful to a noob extie.

You don't even know what Ottofar was thinking when he asked this. It looks like Ottofar didn't really care and just used this as any old RVS question. So the logical course would of been to ask another question or, better yet, ask more deeply into why Book isn't answering this one. You did neither. Instead, you stuck your fingers in your ears and demanded Book answer this question or be scum. The only reason I can think of to take such an asinine stance is that you want to implicate Book via any methods necessary.

Okay, so here's where you're completely and totally wrong: Who gives a fuck if there's an impressionable exterminator out there for whom Booook's speculation would be helpful. Better yet, let's talk about impressionable doppelgangers, survivors, spore spreaders, hiveminds, xenozoologists, and any other anti-town role. Do you seriously want to rush to Booook's defense saying that it's a good idea to not speculate about that sort of thing? Because the whole RVS is filled with questions like that. "What would you do as X", "Who would you kill as Y", "How would you play as Z". We'd have to pretty much stop talking about that shit altogether, because, oh no, there might be a scum party out there who would benefit. If you're going to give me shit for pressing an apparently dangerous question, maybe you should give everybody else shit for answering apparently dangerous questions.

All the speculation that goes on during the RVS is completely irrelevant and innocuous and its sole purpose is to get people talking. Indeed, it's considered normal. What isn't normal is outright refusal to answer a completely irrelevant and innocuous question.

That it was Ottofar's to begin with is completely irrelevant to me. I'd be infuriated with anybody if they refused to answer anybody's question.

Oh, ok. So when Book does answer the question anyways you just go ahead and hold your vote. That's just stupid. Let's not ask Book questions or listen to what Book is saying, let's just take a stance of "do X or you're scum" and disregard the other person's reasoning for why doing X is a bad idea. Herp derp.

Booook's answer was obviously sarcastic.

Or, to put it in a way you and your selective understanding of people's posts can catch: He still didn't answer the question.

Why are you trying to convince Ottofar into voting Toaster over evidence you know is null-tell? Trying to convince Ottofar to question Toaster is fine. Trying to convince Ottofar to vote Toaster over it is not since that bypasses the question-asking stage, the most important part for us townies. Not that you would know about asking questions or anything since you're a doppleganger.

You've got some interesting logic here. If Ottofar thinks Toaster is scum for his kook claim, isn't it reasonable to expect that Ottofar would vote him for it? I'm always interested to see how committed people are to their apparent suspicions.

Why is it wrong for me to ask Ottofar if he's willing to vote somebody? Why should I ask him instead if he's willing to ask further questions to determine if the person he suspects is scum? This strikes of scummy bullshit.

Oh, and way to wave that townie flag of yours.

No explanation for this vote. No question asking, nothing. Looks like Jim's motivational techniques to get you to make a huge mistake are working as intended.

Oh, nice one. Way to work an accusation against me onto Ottofar's slip up there. That makes sense.

Yeah, I think you're scum. You smell like you do in SorcApp II, where your flurry of lurking was interrupted by walls of text full of questionable points and stupid accusations. Unvote, Mr.Person.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2011, 06:04:22 am »

Okay, so here's where you're completely and totally wrong: Who gives a fuck if there's an impressionable exterminator out there for whom Booook's speculation would be helpful. Better yet, let's talk about impressionable doppelgangers, survivors, spore spreaders, hiveminds, xenozoologists, and any other anti-town role. Do you seriously want to rush to Booook's defense saying that it's a good idea to not speculate about that sort of thing? Because the whole RVS is filled with questions like that. "What would you do as X", "Who would you kill as Y", "How would you play as Z". We'd have to pretty much stop talking about that shit altogether, because, oh no, there might be a scum party out there who would benefit. If you're going to give me shit for pressing an apparently dangerous question, maybe you should give everybody else shit for answering apparently dangerous questions.

All the speculation that goes on during the RVS is completely irrelevant and innocuous and its sole purpose is to get people talking. Indeed, it's considered normal. What isn't normal is outright refusal to answer a completely irrelevant and innocuous question.

That it was Ottofar's to begin with is completely irrelevant to me. I'd be infuriated with anybody if they refused to answer anybody's question.

So you don't benefit, Ottofar doesn't benefit, and Book isn't effected. So why did you take such a personal interest in this, so much so that you're no longer scumhunting based on how sure you are of Book's scummittude? Book gave a reason for refusing to answer the question and in fact said he'd so tomorrow if it matters that much. Book wasn't being malicious here. Sure, he might be misguided and probably should answer the question, but the fact remains that you're taking something that doesn't matter and blowing it WAY out of proportion.

Hell, you want to talk to Book so bad? You should of asked questions about Book's refusal. Instead you gave an ultimatum and ended the discussion when Book said "no". That doesn't sound like someone who wants to scumhunt and have a productive RVS. That sounds like someone desperate to call what Book does as scummy, not because it is but because it looks scummy at a glance.

Alright Jim, what's your social security number, credit card number, PIN number, name, address, phone number, and mother's maiden name? Don't answer? You're scuuuuuuuum! Granted, there's a HUGE difference between what I just asked and what Ottofar asked, but they both have about the same amount of relevance to determining scummitude (that is, 0%), so does it really matter that both of these questions are going unanswered?

Booook's answer was obviously sarcastic.

Or, to put it in a way you and your selective understanding of people's posts can catch: He still didn't answer the question.
[/quote]

No shit it was sarcastic, but does it matter what the answer is? At all? How does an answer of "Intel and EMP emitter" vs "Body double and Adv. holoform" change your view of Book? You've learned nothing insightful about Book either way, so why bother pressing the issue? Book gave an answer and that's what was asked. It's not an illegal set of tech choices, it's not impossible to win with, and it's an actual set of choices rather than "I'd use no techs". Wanted to learn more about Book? You should of asked another question towards him. Wait, no, you didn't, you just said he was scum and walked away. Doesn't sound like something a player interested in gathering information to me.

You've got some interesting logic here. If Ottofar thinks Toaster is scum for his kook claim, isn't it reasonable to expect that Ottofar would vote him for it? I'm always interested to see how committed people are to their apparent suspicions.

Why is it wrong for me to ask Ottofar if he's willing to vote somebody? Why should I ask him instead if he's willing to ask further questions to determine if the person he suspects is scum? This strikes of scummy bullshit.

Oh, and way to wave that townie flag of yours.

I would say it's very reasonable for Ottofar to ask Toaster questions. I would say it's bullshit that Toaster wants to vote Ottofar for a kook claim, but it's not scummy. I can't control Ottofar, so I'm not going to stop him. But this goes beyond seeing how committed Toaster is to his suspicion. This is you actively trying to coerce Ottofar into voting Toaster. You also don't give Toaster any shit for when he casually votes Ottofar with no evidence, reasoning, or questioning trying to ride on the "kook=scum" bullshit wave that was fairly reasonable to expect was incoming.

When you ask Ottofar why he's not voting Toaster, you and I both know Ottofar's first response is to immediately vote Toaster. So yes, you either word your question in a way that's intentionally neutral or your question drives Ottofar into voting Toaster. This is actually perfectly fine if you yourself suspected Toaster, but nothing you've done so far, then or now, suggests to me you suspect Toaster. So you're just trying to spread votes around, votes you know are bullshit on a player you don't suspect. Do you bother with any followup to Ottofar to determine his alignment or get clarification on his obtusely stupid and short position? Nope, of course not. So it wasn't scumhunting either. The only possible reason for asking that exact question was to convince Ottofar to vote Toaster.

I've learned... or at least determined, that if you spread around specific language in posts, people trust you more. It's a tool to get you lynched. I've been trying to be more forceful with my "you're scum" posts so I'll be a bit more transparent with my suspects. Yes, I know I'm already really transparent, but it doesn't hurt to make things even simpler.

Oh, I think I forgot to give Ottofar my biggest, giantest FoS imaginable for voting Toaster with no reasoning or questioning.

Oh, nice one. Way to work an accusation against me onto Ottofar's slip up there. That makes sense.

Well, you did drive him right into the vote.

Wait, you consider it a slip? Why did you gloss over it when it actually happened, then? If you think it's scummy, why haven't you actually bothered to question Ottofar about it? You are aware you can talk to more than one player at a time, right? Or was bullshitting Book so tiring that you forgot to look at obvious shit happening right in front of you?

Yeah, I think you're scum. You smell like you do in SorcApp II, where your flurry of lurking was interrupted by walls of text full of questionable points and stupid accusations. Unvote, Mr.Person.

What kind of moron do you take me for? That kind of behavior got me lynched. It certainly wasn't intentional in that game. Well, alright, at first I was lurking more than usual, but especially once I was caught, I posted at about my normal rate, maybe a little slower than normal since I knew I was screwed and wasn't feeling very motivated. I just legitimately missed a lot of time between when I posted in the scum chat "I'll lurk a little bit more then post" and my next in-thread post.

But that's all irrelevant since the game started Friday. I missed the start of the game, that's fine. I log in earlier Saturday and start working on the post. I get distracted a few times since it's not necessary to get this post up right now since it's Saturday. And lookie here, I've posted. So no, I have not been maliciously lurking since the game hasn't even been going on long enough to call for lurking. Nice bullshit to get an OMGUS going with a little bit of legitimacy, too bad your legitimacy falls right through the fucking window with a little common sense and a clock.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2011, 06:56:29 am »

Quite a case you just built, Mr.Person. I need to shower then sleep, but I'll be hoping to wake up to... telling answers from Jim either way.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2011, 08:20:53 am »

First off, unvote.

And to whoever freaked out instantly about massclaiming, go cry in a corner. I never said to massclaim. I said it would be a good strategy. At least learn to read.
You backtrack pretty quickly, I see. What was the sense of offering 'good strategy' if you aren't going to follow it through? And then comes this:
JanusTwoface, you basically entered the game by claiming we were all scum. It was a joke. I don't like it. I'm voting you. You're going to stay voted, especially since you defended massclaiming in a question to me. Not really pleased with any of that.
You acknowledge that this was an RVS joke and still vote JTF for it. Explain, webadict.

Toaster:
You vote MBP for assuming the passive position, which is a viable strategy, considering that this is first day and almost nothing happened. In all probability he could simply lurk his way to the next important event and nobody would bat an eye. Also, he said nothing about everyone sitting back and waiting. This looks remarkably like looking for easy lynch targets.

Leafsnail:
Hello, Leafsnail.

As scum, I would randomly randomvote Ottofar.

Therefore, webadict.
Fair enough.  Unvote.
Ahem. You ask a (pretty useless) question, get an answer without any explanation whatsoever with a vote that directly contradicts said answer, and then you withdraw your vote without any further questions. So, how should have Argembarger answered to get a different reaction from you? And what did you expect to learn from your question, now that RVS has passed?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2011, 08:24:11 am »

Ahem. You ask a (pretty useless) question, get an answer without any explanation whatsoever with a vote that directly contradicts said answer, and then you withdraw your vote without any further questions. So, how should have Argembarger answered to get a different reaction from you? And what did you expect to learn from your question, now that RVS has passed?
Something other than a clean response would've sounded sirens.  Asking people about how they would act as scum is one way to make them panic if they actually are.

I'm not sure what you means by "directly contradicts said answer".  It does if he's scum, I guess?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:53 am »

Something other than a clean response would've sounded sirens.  Asking people about how they would act as scum is one way to make them panic if they actually are.
So basically you don't care what the answer actually was, as long as it's someone concrete?
I'm not sure what you means by "directly contradicts said answer".  It does if he's scum, I guess?
So, when he said he'd vote Ottofar if he was scum and voting webadict after it made him see more townish for you?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2011, 08:29:04 am »

So basically you don't care what the answer actually was, as long as it's someone concrete?
Yeah, basically.  A dithery answer or an OMGUS would've been bad.

So, when he said he'd vote Ottofar if he was scum and voting webadict after it made him see more townish for you?
Not really.  An RV is a probe, not an absolute determinant of someone's alignment.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2011, 10:58:06 am »

For Person

For now i'm concentrating on the 2 kook business. Heres my tought
2 kook are possible, but maybe due to a kink in meph program i dont remmeber it the last games. Unlikely
2 scum fakeclaiming is incredibly risky ( especially if there is a real kook, no way there is 3 in a game) so id say nay to that.
1 scum 1 kook is possible, and i would have a easier time believing the 2nd claim. Scum as few good reason to claim Kook in second, since this funny business will get looked upon more closely. Town kook as no such problem, since he know he can stand up to a telepath investigation.

Question
Ottofar, Why would you not have claimed if toaster did not do it first?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2011, 11:58:32 am »

The Whiteboard
JanusTwoFace: webadict
Jim Groovester: Mr.Person
Mr.Person: Jim Groovester
Mysteriousbluepuppet: Toaster
NativeForeigner: Leafsnail, Pandarsenic
Org: JanusTwoFace
Toaster: Book, Ottofar
webadict: Argembarger, Dariush, Mysteriousbluepuppet

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2011, 02:29:43 pm »

Ottofar, Why would you not have claimed if toaster did not do it first?

I was afraid of the 'hardheaded idiots', as someone put it.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2011, 03:24:20 pm »

So you don't benefit, Ottofar doesn't benefit, and Book isn't effected. So why did you take such a personal interest in this, so much so that you're no longer scumhunting based on how sure you are of Book's scummittude? Book gave a reason for refusing to answer the question and in fact said he'd so tomorrow if it matters that much. Book wasn't being malicious here. Sure, he might be misguided and probably should answer the question, but the fact remains that you're taking something that doesn't matter and blowing it WAY out of proportion.

Hell, you want to talk to Book so bad? You should of asked questions about Book's refusal. Instead you gave an ultimatum and ended the discussion when Book said "no". That doesn't sound like someone who wants to scumhunt and have a productive RVS. That sounds like someone desperate to call what Book does as scummy, not because it is but because it looks scummy at a glance.

Alright Jim, what's your social security number, credit card number, PIN number, name, address, phone number, and mother's maiden name? Don't answer? You're scuuuuuuuum! Granted, there's a HUGE difference between what I just asked and what Ottofar asked, but they both have about the same amount of relevance to determining scummitude (that is, 0%), so does it really matter that both of these questions are going unanswered?

If it doesn't matter if the question goes unanswered, why does it matter if I press the question? If you're going to use something's unimportance as a reason for why I shouldn't do something, I can use its unimportance for the opposite reason. Since we're dealing with frivolities who cares what happens?

That's the argument you're making anyway.

Booook's refusal means he's not being cooperative, which town in the majority of cases should be as much as possible. They should speak freely as much as possible to allow everybody to get a good look at them, excepting issues that actually are dangerous to talk about. That's something a townie should want, right? He should want everybody to get good reads on him so that he can have everybody know he's town.

Booook outright refused to allow people to get a read on him on this issue, which is something I consider a vastly more important issue than helping impressionable Exterminators with their tech choices. It doesn't necessarily make him scum for refusing, since BOoook has a habit of being a defiant jackass for no good reason a lot of the time. And, well, it's hard to pressure vote somebody when you're already voting them from the RVS.

No shit it was sarcastic, but does it matter what the answer is? At all? How does an answer of "Intel and EMP emitter" vs "Body double and Adv. holoform" change your view of Book? You've learned nothing insightful about Book either way, so why bother pressing the issue? Book gave an answer and that's what was asked. It's not an illegal set of tech choices, it's not impossible to win with, and it's an actual set of choices rather than "I'd use no techs". Wanted to learn more about Book? You should of asked another question towards him. Wait, no, you didn't, you just said he was scum and walked away. Doesn't sound like something a player interested in gathering information to me.

You must have a busted sarcasm detector. Since Boooook is apparently worried about impressionable Exterminators, his answer was meant to screw over the Exterminator who must surely have been eagerly awaiting Boook's heavenly tech choices. It's not his opinion on the matter. What his opinion actually was probably wouldn't have mattered at all, but it's the freely giving it that's important. See my point above.

I would say it's very reasonable for Ottofar to ask Toaster questions. I would say it's bullshit that Toaster wants to vote Ottofar for a kook claim, but it's not scummy. I can't control Ottofar, so I'm not going to stop him. But this goes beyond seeing how committed Toaster is to his suspicion. This is you actively trying to coerce Ottofar into voting Toaster. You also don't give Toaster any shit for when he casually votes Ottofar with no evidence, reasoning, or questioning trying to ride on the "kook=scum" bullshit wave that was fairly reasonable to expect was incoming.

When you ask Ottofar why he's not voting Toaster, you and I both know Ottofar's first response is to immediately vote Toaster. So yes, you either word your question in a way that's intentionally neutral or your question drives Ottofar into voting Toaster. This is actually perfectly fine if you yourself suspected Toaster, but nothing you've done so far, then or now, suggests to me you suspect Toaster. So you're just trying to spread votes around, votes you know are bullshit on a player you don't suspect. Do you bother with any followup to Ottofar to determine his alignment or get clarification on his obtusely stupid and short position? Nope, of course not. So it wasn't scumhunting either. The only possible reason for asking that exact question was to convince Ottofar to vote Toaster.

I've learned... or at least determined, that if you spread around specific language in posts, people trust you more. It's a tool to get you lynched. I've been trying to be more forceful with my "you're scum" posts so I'll be a bit more transparent with my suspects. Yes, I know I'm already really transparent, but it doesn't hurt to make things even simpler.

Oh, I think I forgot to give Ottofar my biggest, giantest FoS imaginable for voting Toaster with no reasoning or questioning.

I didn't coerce Ottofar into anything. How Ottofar responded was up to Ottofar. He responded poorly, just like Ottofar. Do you see me calling him scum for it? No.

And that's why you're accusation falls flat on its face. If you're going to accuse me of tricking or trapping or coercing Ottofar into making a bad move, why am I not voting him for it? Here's why: because I don't think he's scum for it.

Tada! Bullshit accusations are easy to dispel.

Well, you did drive him right into the vote.

Wait, you consider it a slip? Why did you gloss over it when it actually happened, then? If you think it's scummy, why haven't you actually bothered to question Ottofar about it? You are aware you can talk to more than one player at a time, right? Or was bullshitting Book so tiring that you forgot to look at obvious shit happening right in front of you?

It's almost like you don't read the thread when you make your walls of texts. I did follow up. Then I got a response. Sort of. Pretty par for the course for Ottofar. Even the slip up.

Why are you trying to implicate me via Ottofar? That's a bullshit accusation. Why are you pushing a bullshit accusation?

What kind of moron do you take me for? That kind of behavior got me lynched. It certainly wasn't intentional in that game. Well, alright, at first I was lurking more than usual, but especially once I was caught, I posted at about my normal rate, maybe a little slower than normal since I knew I was screwed and wasn't feeling very motivated. I just legitimately missed a lot of time between when I posted in the scum chat "I'll lurk a little bit more then post" and my next in-thread post.

But that's all irrelevant since the game started Friday. I missed the start of the game, that's fine. I log in earlier Saturday and start working on the post. I get distracted a few times since it's not necessary to get this post up right now since it's Saturday. And lookie here, I've posted. So no, I have not been maliciously lurking since the game hasn't even been going on long enough to call for lurking. Nice bullshit to get an OMGUS going with a little bit of legitimacy, too bad your legitimacy falls right through the fucking window with a little common sense and a clock.

My one line meta argument certainly required a two paragraph response from you to dispel its horrid implications. This is incredibly defensive of you.

Just because you know that behavior got you lynched as scum doesn't mean you're not repeating it here.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40