Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Round 18 - Game Over  (Read 124712 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Round 18
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 04:25:57 pm »

Jim:  Sadly, Meph's script broke down and made me town this time.
However, it did make me a Kook, so that's something.
Interesting. Toaster, webadict and Janus: what do you think of the viability of claiming Kook right away as a scum tactic? We went through this during Bastardnormal, and I still think it's a ballsy but viable possibility.
I'd have to say that you should probably back the flip off. And I'd also call it likely for Town to claim it.

Uhhh, right.

So let's say you are a Kook. Why'd you pick claiming openly on Day 1 over claiming privately to someone you think is town, or just keeping it a secret? Why'd you pick that particular Kook claim strategy?
I think it's perfectly valid, insomuch as all Kooks should claim now. All kooks should probably claim now. Otherwise, anyone being scanned up dopp will be dopp. I'd even go as far as to say that we should all massclaim, but I'm not entirely sure that would work anymore.

Anyhow, for anyone wishing to question me, I'll be off at home. I'll post what I can from my phone, but otherwise, have fun.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »

... He's scum. The automatic attack on everyone enters the game as a joke, rendering any point he makes as moot.
Say what? That sentence doesn't even make sense.

Janus: Hard to read?
Not particularly. You tend towards harder because you don't post over much. Book and Pandarsenic are in the middle range. Decent guess though.

Spore spreader, I think. I'd like to try that in principle, since I've never played a jester role. But I also like lasting through the end, so I don't think I'd like to be it more than once.
As a follow up then, would your primary goal be to convert others (by being killed) or to survive (one of you has to survive to win)? Does your answer chance if you weren't an original Spore Spreader but were converted?

Interesting. Toaster, webadict and Janus: what do you think of the viability of claiming Kook right away as a scum tactic? We went through this during Bastardnormal, and I still think it's a ballsy but viable possibility.
I wouldn't personally do it. Attacts too much attention (with the possibility of a Reporter or Warden blocking you). It is viable though for some people. Based on previous meta, I don't think either would have tried it without scumteam prodding.

Why are there three people voting Argem?
That's actually a good point... Dariush, Leafsnail, Toaster? Care to elaborate? Particularly Toaster being the third vote and already claiming Kook.

But yes,Unvote MBP
Vote Toaster
This is also questionable. You were called out on your behavior and immediately changed it.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 05:13:34 pm »

Because I'm not paying attention.

I'd blame that on Sleep Deprivation, having worked on a school project until 3am.

But yes,Unvote MBP
Vote Toaster
I don't see how you can blame that on poor attentiveness.  You clearly saw it in your previous post, and thought it suspicious, but didn't vote him.

I'd even go as far as to say that we should all massclaim, but I'm not entirely sure that would work anymore.
...What?!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:03 pm »

For the scientist choices, Id Go Assasin bot, body double. For intelligence scientist I really don't know.

As i did in para 17, i would claim day 1 if i was kook. I believe I explained my reasoning quite enough back then.

Webadict, how could massclaiming help ? At worst that would reveal cops and guardians to the dopp, or cause myslinchs if they refuse to reveal. Can't see it helping.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 05:25:31 pm »

First off, posting from phone. Except I'm on my laptop. I'm about to make a two-hour drive and I need to pack up right away, so this will be quick.

Boo.

Argembarger, you were scum in two games out of three I played with you (IIRC). What did you learn about playing as scum?

PPE: Damn ninjas.

Scum should try not to consider the game from a scum perspective, and if possible, should ignore the fact that he/she is scum at all. Perfect, flawless scum would be scum that believes that they are town.

At least, in my opinion.

Argembarger:  Which type of mad scientist would you rather be if you were town?  Scum?

I would want to be a Cutting Edge scientist with a body double as town, and a Military Scientist with an Assassin bot as scum.

Body double would be most useful as town, for that invaluable second chance at scumhunting, and it wastes a scum nightkill. It wouldn't be so good for scum because they'd be alive as confirmed scum after the body double is killed (I think, unless dead body double doesn't reveal alignment. I'm not too sure)

Assassin bot is better for scum because it's effectively an extra kill when it counts. It could turn lylo into surprise instant-lose for town. It's not so good for town because there is very rarely confirmed scum that is still alive, and the risks of misfiring assassin bot are (in my opinion) not worth the chance of hitting scum.

Hello, Argembarger.  If you were scum, who would you randomvote?

Hello, Leafsnail.

As scum, I would randomly randomvote Ottofar.

Therefore, webadict,
why massclaim? Wouldn't that be giving information to the wrong people? After all, scum already knows who is likely to be telling the truth.

Also, if you were a town roleblocker, who would you block tonight and why?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 05:35:19 pm »

As i did in para 17, i would claim day 1 if i was kook. I believe I explained my reasoning quite enough back then.
You did, yes. I was wondering whether you'd have a different perspective on it after the fact.

Webadict, how could massclaiming help ? At worst that would reveal cops and guardians to the dopp, or cause myslinchs if they refuse to reveal. Can't see it helping.
I think he meant a kook massclaim. But yeah, fishy.

Spore spreader, I think. I'd like to try that in principle, since I've never played a jester role. But I also like lasting through the end, so I don't think I'd like to be it more than once.
As a follow up then, would your primary goal be to convert others (by being killed) or to survive (one of you has to survive to win)? Does your answer chance if you weren't an original Spore Spreader but were converted?
To convert others by being killed, regardless of being the first or not. The point would be to play a jestery role, which I've never had a chance to do.

Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 05:47:54 pm »

The Whiteboard
Argembarger: Dariush, Leafsnail, Toaster
Book: Jim Groovester
Dariush: Jokerman-EXE
JanusTwoFace: webadict
Org: JanusTwoFace
Toaster: Book, Ottofar
webadict: Argembarger, Mysteriousbluepuppet

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Monday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »

You're scum. All scum. But most particularly Org. Tell me, why shouldn't we lynch you Day 1?

A few questions for others while I'm at it:
  • Pandarsenic, if you were a Heroic Guard and knew nothing who would you absolutely protect with your life? Who would you absolutely not?
  • Book, which alien do you think would be most interesting to play? (Also, I now think of Shepard Book anytime I see your name...)
  • Ottofar, why do you think I picked these three people to question?

The first is a difficult question - Toaster, JanusTwoFace, Jim, Book, Leafsnail, and Mr.Person are all exceptionally strong choices, and I would have to pick whichever of them seemed most townie / least scummy. As I'm answering posts as I go through the thread (Way to EVERYONE POST WHILE I'M ASLEEP / WAKE UP FOR CLASS guys) I don't have an actual single name for you yet.

And I would absolutely not protect Org, Ottofar, or Webadict. The first is Org, the second lurks forever, and Webadict has a tendency to die if he's genuinely on to something because scum like to watch him flail at the wrong people furiously when he's not.

Book, which alien do you think would be most interesting to play? (Also, I now think of Shepard Book anytime I see your name...)
Spore spreader, I think. I'd like to try that in principle, since I've never played a jester role. But I also like lasting through the end, so I don't think I'd like to be it more than once. And yes, the Shepherd is part of the charm of the name.

Booook, I got the impression in Supernatural 3 that the lessons you were going to take from the town loss were to be more irrationally paranoid about everything. If that's not the case, what did you take away from that game?
Certainly to up the paranoia, yes, but also to try and be less rigid/predictable. I found I tended to fall into common patterns, which could be abused by the scum and/or be detrimental to town, so I'll try to be a bit more experimental, and to question myself more.

Pandarsenic: What's your thought on third parties this game? We have 15 players and four dopps; do you think there's an Ext? Other aliens?

Org: If you were an Ext, who would you kill first?

MBP & Ottofar: If you were Kooks, would you claim on thread now, later in the game, on PM to someone, or not at all?

I could see a strong third-party presence happening. At 4/15 (4:11), assuming Mislynch-NK-Mislynch-NK that puts us at 7:4 for a 3rd day end to the game.

Leafsnail, how do you feel this dual kook claim is going to affect day 1?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 07:26:46 pm »

No, I meant full-on role massclaim. You'd think (I guess?) it'd somehow be worse for everyone, but I argue that it's likely to win in the long run. It prevents the scum from having leeway later when they claim.

And to whoever freaked out instantly about massclaiming, go cry in a corner. I never said to massclaim. I said it would be a good strategy. At least learn to read.

Whatever you have against it is mostly due to ingrained beliefs where you believe the scum won't know everything if you don't claim. Unfortunately, that's incredibly false. They will know every role but two by Day 3. Possibly all of them, if they're lucky. They already know theirs, plus they have group cohesion, allowing for inspection and protection roles to work together. Disagree with me all you want, but it's true.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 07:28:04 pm »

You're scum. All scum. But most particularly Org. Tell me, why shouldn't we lynch you Day 1?

• Pandarsenic, if you were a Heroic Guard and knew nothing who would you absolutely protect with your life? Who would you absolutely not?
  • Book, which alien do you think would be most interesting to play? (Also, I now think of Shepard Book anytime I see your name...)
Because you try to do this every game. Same thing man.
Also go fuck yourself.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 07:49:17 pm »

Also go fuck yourself.

I like how "Because I'm town" isn't your answer.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »

Also go fuck yourself.

I like how "Because I'm town" isn't your answer.
Same thing.
Every.
Single.
Game.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:33 pm »

It wouldn't be hard to make me stop.

All you have to do is actually play the game decently for once. That's all.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 08:08:12 pm »

It wouldn't be hard to make me stop.

All you have to do is actually play the game decently for once. That's all.
Haha, Its funny because its a joke.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 08:34:03 pm »

JTF, it bugs me slightly that you're hitting up on all the things you do every single game. And I don't think it's because you have any specific problem with Org, you just want to be able to say you do all the things you normally do.

Why, in Sup 3 and Bastanormal, I think you even went against what people think you normally do. Why the return here?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40