Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48706 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2017, 10:02:54 pm »

Raioyris wonders about the room scanning the other parties wares and items, what has the other party seemly managed to recover from the labyrinth?

"So mage power? There doesn't seem to be many of us around.

At least in my experience."
Raioyris invites the Magician into conversation.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2017, 12:46:48 am »

for GM's eyes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Milenus is going to be fine. And your companion's death is a shame. My condolences." Gilles replied sincerely as he walked away to scoop up Solj from the floor. Adventurers ended up dying all the time, though. The remaining members of the group would hopefully learn something or other about paying attention to their surroundings and not making the same mistake again. He returned to the murder-bots' proximity while calmly reeling in part of his lasso's cable.

"Did they look like this even before you took them down? They don't seem like anything I saw before."

"What is dead cannot heal itself." Millenus tersely responds. "This will take some time." he adds as he sits down in a corner, picking up his arms with a third arm he just grew, and starts eating.

"They looked a bit different, I suppose," answers the magician to Gilles' question. "Same heads. The bodies are a bit varied."

"She was a straggler we picked up along the way," the duelist replies. "None of us knew her. Yet Cynthia insisted we bring her along." he motions toward the Marksman, who finally returns, her crossbow still unloaded.
"Not my fault it's hard to load a crossbow on the run."
"Then don't rely on a weapon that's so damn useless!"

"Giant spiders, zombie robots... nothing here is going to give you a chance to shoot at it. I insist we leave as soon as we can properly thank these people."

Raioyris wonders about the room scanning the other parties wares and items, what has the other party seemly managed to recover from the labyrinth?

"So mage power? There doesn't seem to be many of us around.

At least in my experience."
Raioyris invites the Magician into conversation.

"Ah, not when Nature answers our call so earnestly on the Surface. It is hard to feel at home here. Perhaps the allure of meeting with the spirits of the Earth got the better of me."

"There is nothing down here but death and ruin. And that book,"
He starts walking toward the frozen tome Solj was knocked toward; a book that seems to freeze everything around it. Surprisingly, though so much of the hall was frozen, this arena has since remained bone-dry. Clearly the door wasn't blocking it, the tome was on the other side of the door.

Quote from: Caellath
"Too much scrap and aggression. Let me see what I can find. Keep 'em tied into place." he continued, getting closer to the railbot and then getting to work.

Use my reprogramming powers to make the railbot (and, depending on time available, more robots) non-hostile, and take the opportunity to check their programming for signs of make and operational history. Tie up and/or foam any robots that get too feisty..

Gilles decides it would be best to power down the robot before looking for a debug port under its casing. The power source turns out to be inside the head, and disconnecting the head seems like it would be the easiest way... if there was much in the way of a removable connector.
But the robots seem to be built like organisms. The head won't come off without extra force, and neither will the power supply.

On a different note, it seems that the head of the Clawbot has gone missing in the moments it was left unsupervised. Someone must have it.

"Interesting... It seems that this robot here has some sort of heart that uses hydraulic lines as blood vessels. Some new ones are coming out of the heart even as I speak, perhaps these robots are able to regenerate themselves somehow?"

Johan tried to check on/examine the other robots to confirm his theory.

Gilles' live and struggling subject seems like an ill choice for further experimentation. Johan instead looks over the whipbot, whose magnetic whip was by no means its only magnetic property.

The whipbot's building blocks are the same as the drillbot's. Worm-like tendrils, with hydraulic hoses growing like muscles throughout the frame. But the whipbot frame also held motors, and more importantly, its construction was completely different. Rather than being welded together like the drillbot, the whipbot was held together primarily by its magnetized components. As the electromagnet died off, its components lost their magnetism, and here it was, a dismantled puppet dangling from its strings.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:56 am »

Give the bot that Giles is looking at a good scan.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2017, 09:22:56 am »

"Why not a repeating crossbow? That'd be easier. And what's that about a giant spider and that tome?" Gilles asked, deciding to examine a different subject. Preferentially a less feisty one. He also wanted to make sure the excitement had died down before offering his goods.

"And where's the Clawbow's head, did someone take it or did it scurry away on its own? You better speak up if it's the former or look around just in case the latter's right." The latter scenario didn't even seem that strange judging by how the robots worked.

Tie up and foam the struggling robot a little more, then try to check the data on the whipbot instead.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2017, 03:14:35 pm »

"Huh. Closer examination shows that the other robot is indeed growing its hydraulic cords like it's a living thing... I don't suppose we should finish them off in case they heal back and try to kill us a second time?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 04, 2017, 04:49:55 pm »

"I'm interested in discovering how to disable these robots without destroying them... And I'm also curious about who made them. They sure don't look Labyrinth-made, at least as far as I see."
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2017, 07:51:49 pm »

Rolling his eyes, Johan replied,"Okay, I'll try to look for a brand name."

However, he did decide to examine the robot(s) to try to find evidence of who or what made them. He also tried to think about whether magnetically held robots were very common.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »

"I doubt these will have a brand's name on them, but you could examine the head closely. It seems the most important part, so we might find the maker's signature. I've seen very few people who make anything complex and don't write their name or initials on it." Gilles explained quite friendly, gesturing with one of the large armored arms towards him.
>Yes?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2017, 09:49:11 pm »

Give the bot that Giles is looking at a good scan.

Raedar (RAdiant Energy Detection and Ranging) is not very good for mapping out conductive objects, so Solj mostly sees what everyone else already does. One exception, though: The hydraulic vessels are some sort of polymer, transparent to some raedar frequencies, and the conduction properties suggest it is water that flows through. A risky prospect for a robot to employ water internally, but on the other hand, water is a plentiful resource in nature.

Perhaps it's plentiful down here, too, if one knows where to look.

"Why not a repeating crossbow? That'd be easier. And what's that about a giant spider and that tome?" Gilles asked, deciding to examine a different subject. Preferentially a less feisty one. He also wanted to make sure the excitement had died down before offering his goods.

"We found it down here, in a side passage. You could have it, if you want. Didn't do us much good so far, and we'd be good as dead without you guys." The magician sighs.

"To answer your question," he changes the subject. "We encountered not one, not two, but five spiders of the gigantic variety on our way down here. Never before have I thanked the ancestors wholeheartedly for removing arachnophobia from the human gene pool long ago.

Fast buggers they were. But in case you encounter them in a future journey, know that they bleed profusely should you cut off the legs."

Rolling his eyes, Johan replied,"Okay, I'll try to look for a brand name."

However, he did decide to examine the robot(s) to try to find evidence of who or what made them. He also tried to think about whether magnetically held robots were very common.

No, that seems like a very impractical way of holding the robot together. Unless modularity were of utmost importance.

Johan [3 -> 2] and Gilles [3 -> 2] get to work looking for markings on the robots.

"And where's the Clawbow's head, did someone take it or did it scurry away on its own? You better speak up if it's the former or look around just in case the latter's right." The latter scenario didn't even seem that strange judging by how the robots worked.

Tie up and foam the struggling robot a little more, then try to check the data on the whipbot instead.

The railbot is now well-secured. Gilles makes sure to tie the head on.

There are little in the way of markings on the robot itself that haven't been scratched off, but it looks like a lot of the parts had markings. Components like motors and passives still do have labels.
Actually, there are some marks on the back of the whipbot's head.

Ad3p%(& ^1l&tarum
S%00@$0121 ZB*K)
R%tu(n t$ z(t4 C(m$an? i& fo7nd

There's also a logo, that looks vaguely like some kind of eagle holding a star in one claw, and a ringed planet in another.

Millenus looks around for the clawbot's head in the scrap pile.
It seems that the original body is now defunct, without power. There is a pool of hydraulic fluid around the body.

But among the scrap piles, Millenus hears something digging through the metal. He grows some eyes on the back of his head, to avoid being ambushed, and looks around, finding the Clawbot's head situated on top of a small mountain of parts.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2017, 09:56:53 pm »

There are little in the way of markings on the robot itself that haven't been scratched off, but it looks like a lot of the parts had markings. Components like motors and passives still do have labels.

Ad3p%(& ^1l&tarum
S%00@$0121 ZB*K)
Is that a substitute for an actual alien language or is that the actual symbols?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2017, 10:49:33 pm »

Ad3p%(& ^1l&tarum
S%00@$0121 ZB*K)

Adeptus Militarum (??? huh. we secretly on a cut off planet in 40K land?)
Dunno, that's a damn lot of symbols. Maybe this is the actual serial number?
Return to (???) if found.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2017, 10:53:40 pm »

"A book?"

Inspect the book and if reasonable acquire it with a hand like extension of my locus, probe it for spirits.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2017, 12:59:00 am »

Ad3p%(& ^1l&tarum
S%00@$0121 ZB*K)
Is that a substitute for an actual alien language or is that the actual symbols?

Much of it is scratched off, but it seems genetic algorithms can work wonders ((see Egan_BW's post)).

"A book?"

Inspect the book and if reasonable acquire it with a hand like extension of my locus, probe it for spirits.

The book has an incredibly powerful aura. Connecting a mind to it could be suicidal--Raioyris might freeze like a bug, or he might overpower the resident spirit.

Picking it up, however is relatively safe as a Magician. So long as a Magician's mind is not directly assaulted by a powerful mystic force, he has a natural advantage in protecting his body from the aura. A non-magician would have minutes at most.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:06:07 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2017, 12:06:25 pm »

"Would you look at that, it looks like we found a brand name of sorts." Gilles commented, quite satisfied. He was afraid they might not even find anything worth checking, but those markings seem like good clues. "Hmm, it seems to say 'Return to something Command if found'. Zeta Command, maybe?" he suggested, turning his attention back to the group.

It was then that he spotted the clawbot's head, quite a bit after Millenus had done so. "Yeah, their heads. Let's get them round and stored." he commented, pointing at the still-moving murderbot's head.

>Yes?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2017, 12:33:25 am »

Raioyris stares at the book with a furrowed brow. Spirit? Convince me there is beyond these carnal shakes.

Probe the book, do not provoke it into conflict, but if it happens do not escape instead weigh my spirit heavily upon it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:05:58 am by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37