Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48712 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2017, 01:41:19 am »

"Would you look at that, it looks like we found a brand name of sorts." Gilles commented, quite satisfied. He was afraid they might not even find anything worth checking, but those markings seem like good clues. "Hmm, it seems to say 'Return to something Command if found'. Zeta Command, maybe?" he suggested, turning his attention back to the group.

It was then that he spotted the clawbot's head, quite a bit after Millenus had done so. "Yeah, their heads. Let's get them round and stored." he commented, pointing at the still-moving murderbot's head.

Gilles decides to package the heads separately. It seems they are more than capable of surviving without their hydraulic systems, and the cables that make up their interior seem to be modular.
Shutting them down is a challenge. They do not have an off switch. [4 -> 1] Using his toolkit, he opens up one of the heads, finds the reactor nestled inside a web of neural material, and unscrews the power header. The neural material continues to flash with the impulses of brainpower--but the head loses its ability to bounce around like it did.

The clawbot seemed to have a rudimentary spine attached loosely to its head. It seems like it was already in the process of reconstructing itself. Pulling out of the scrap pile revealed a long web of silver cables that simply weren't there before, spreading like roots throughout the pile.
Some of the cables themselves seem to move on their own after being disconnected.

Raioyris stares at the book with a furrowed brow. Spirit? Convince me there is beyond these carnal shakes.

Probe the book, do not provoke it into conflict, but if it happens do not escape instead weigh my spirit heavily upon it.

(Counting 4's as Hits because you have to take a constitution test. It's like a heavy attack. We'll call it... using effort.)

[4 -> 2] Raioyris picks up the book, and it seems like he has lost himself in thought. But in reality he has done the unthinkable.
His amulet glows a bright cyan, and begins to frost over. His body grows pale as the communion of minds grows ever more intimate...

[Constitution 4 -> 2 (OK)] Raioyris feels the presence digging into his mind, but it cannot break him.

He sees himself atop a mountain summit. A lone sun sets on the horizon, blackening the deep blue sky. A foreign moon, bright like silver, hangs up above, and as the sky embraces the night there are lights visible on the moon's surface, as well as a halo around it, like cosmic fireflies in the vacuum of space.

A winter jacket made from animal's hide hugs his shoulders. Snow--a precious, if ephemeral treasure on Marianas--covers the mountaintops like a blanket of solid gold.

A gloved hand clasps over his shoulder.
"Do you remember?"
It's a friendly old man
"I hope you haven't forgotten, the place where it all began."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2017, 04:10:59 am »

((...PTW.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2017, 07:53:24 am »

Momentarily turning his attention back to the failed adventurers, Gilles has his suit point a thick finger back to the way they came through. "If you want to leave, remember to stick close, not touch anything and avoid fights. Not coming back isn't a bad choice, because this place's really dangerous. And though it might not look like it, I'm a Labyrinth merchant and so are a few of my friends here, so if there's anything you need bought before taking off, talk to us."

"I could use some help disabling these if you can spare the hands. Also, it's been such a mess ever since we got you out of the cocoon, I don't think we were ever introduced. I'm Gilles, how about you?" Gilles said, addressing Johan in an apologetic tone.

Light sales pitch towards the other adventurers. Keep turning off and storing the robots.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2017, 03:55:36 pm »

((I'm assuming the partitioned bit at the end is an extension of my part))

Raioyris' watches his fist open and close as a sort of manic exercise. A certain annoyance creeps into the distant corners of his mind.

"Started?

Do you think that it is earth and mud that creates man? Do you think it is blood and flesh; steel and glass? Lo! A spirit for every flesh; these things are never here, yet are ever; truly. All that happened is that I was birthed in the eye of your flesh; you became aware of me.

But perhaps you are keen, to glimpse even the very faintest shimmer of spirit."

Raioyris turns, "Can I help you?"

To gauge Raioyris' out of body abilities he flexes his locus and swirls the air slightly with mage power.

Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:14 pm »

Still here, still watching.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2017, 04:09:50 am »

((I'm assuming the partitioned bit at the end is an extension of my part))

Raioyris' watches his fist open and close as a sort of manic exercise. A certain annoyance creeps into the distant corners of his mind.

"Started?

Do you think that it is earth and mud that creates man? Do you think it is blood and flesh; steel and glass? Lo! A spirit for every flesh; these things are never here, yet are ever; truly. All that happened is that I was birthed in the eye of your flesh; you became aware of me.

But perhaps you are keen, to glimpse even the very faintest shimmer of spirit."

Raioyris turns, "Can I help you?"

To gauge Raioyris' out of body abilities he flexes his locus and swirls the air slightly with mage power.

He doesn't have his locus, it seems. This body is one to disappoint; frail and weak, needing a thick coat to stand the bitter cold.
"You are correct in your understanding. Spirit begets form. But what of this body?" He clasps his hand around Rai's shoulder.
"This body is borne of a vision. A vision of the time before visions, when men first took to discarding the flesh, in favor of one long dream more polished and fantastical than bleak life in the end of days."

The sun crosses the horizon in record time. Bathed in alien moonlight, the mountaintops almost glare back, pareidolic forms becoming more apparent as the contrast thickens and mortal human night vision takes over.

"But a vision now lasts a thousand years. Our mortal coil is but a fleeting moment."

Momentarily turning his attention back to the failed adventurers, Gilles has his suit point a thick finger back to the way they came through. "If you want to leave, remember to stick close, not touch anything and avoid fights. Not coming back isn't a bad choice, because this place's really dangerous. And though it might not look like it, I'm a Labyrinth merchant and so are a few of my friends here, so if there's anything you need bought before taking off, talk to us."

"I could use some help disabling these if you can spare the hands. Also, it's been such a mess ever since we got you out of the cocoon, I don't think we were ever introduced. I'm Gilles, how about you?" Gilles said, addressing Johan in an apologetic tone.

Light sales pitch towards the other adventurers. Keep turning off and storing the robots.

The duelist holds out his hand to shake.
"Nias. This is Eugenius," he motions toward the Magician, whose human arms are crossed; one of his claw arms leans forward.
"And that's Cynthia, as I've mentioned." She waves.

Nias sits down on his remaining drone as a chair.
"So you consider yourselves merchants, huh..."
He ponders the idea for a moment. Eugenius' face shows signs of interest, but his thoughts never reach the surface.
"I... think that's a good idea. Cynthia could use a weapon..."

He watches Gilles work with the scrap robots and, noticing Gilles' level of expertise, can't help but ask, "You think you could put these back together before we leave? I'd hate to sell 'em for scrap. They've been fighting with me for a while."

He deposits a pile of drone parts, and hands you some of his spare batteries.
Spoiler: Parts Pile (click to show/hide)

Still here, still watching.

The room is lit by torches scattered across the ground. It's difficult to see everything--but Solj has its sensor suite.

Raioyris seems to be holding a book. A book which freezes the floor underneath his feet as he walks.
He seems to be walking around, minding his own business for the most part. There is a look of awe on his face as he browses the endless scrap on the side of the room.

It is difficult to scan the scrap piles because metals block so many wavelengths. But thermally something is amiss. The scrap is filled with pockets of area a few degrees above ambient temperature.
There is no motion, at least yet. But among all this scrap there must be something of interest.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2017, 04:43:44 am »

"Multiple mild heat signatures detected among yon scrap pile. Investigation is recommended."

Try to get someone to go look at that. PCs are busy, so NPCs are better for the task. More specifically, get the hot rogue to pick me up and use me to prod the issue.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2017, 08:48:18 am »

((Hurried post.))

"Don't be shy, don't be shy. I'll try my hand at fixing these drones, and Milenus can help Raioyris with the pile of scrap." Gilles said to the adventurers, gesturing towards the large coffin-like box where he kept his wares and supplies.

Try and repair the bots, preferentially with Johan's assistance. Get the hesitant adventurers to buy what they need.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2017, 01:22:48 pm »

Assist Gilles in repairing the robots, using his toolkit when possible.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2017, 03:43:12 pm »

"Visions? The vision intended for me is either dead or completed.

What will you do?"
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2017, 05:01:40 pm »

"Multiple mild heat signatures detected among yon scrap pile. Investigation is recommended."

Try to get someone to go look at that. PCs are busy, so NPCs are better for the task. More specifically, get the hot rogue to pick me up and use me to prod the issue.

"Me?"

Cynthia reluctantly picks up the heavy talking weapon. She doesn't seem have the strength to heft it around like some of Solj's posthuman pals. It is still uncertain what her clade is. Clearly she isn't a puppet or an azure. A magician would have a totally different composure. Even an aurogen wouldn't be this weak--they are close to genetic perfection and even those with decadent lifestyles are unreasonably fit.

While keeping this in mind, Solj pays attention as he is brought closer to the ominous scrap. No motion. [3 -> 1] But there are traces of alpha radiation in the environment close to the scrap. The heat sources prove to be much more copious emitters than the non-active regions.

((Hurried post.))

"Don't be shy, don't be shy. I'll try my hand at fixing these drones, and Milenus can help Raioyris with the pile of scrap." Gilles said to the adventurers, gesturing towards the large coffin-like box where he kept his wares and supplies.

Try and repair the bots, preferentially with Johan's assistance. Get the hesitant adventurers to buy what they need.
Assist Gilles in repairing the robots, using his toolkit when possible.

The drones are of high-quality make on the interior. Certainly not modern tech--if Gilles would have to surmise, they came out of an ancient stockpile somewhere.
Johan handled the damaged parts. He wasn't able to fix them, but he at least suggested several ways to retrofit some connectors, and he had a few lengths of tubing lying around in his box which he included in the vectoring system. (-2 total to difficulty, so difficulty is 1)

[4 -> at least 1][4 -> 0] Behold: A stack of drones. Their chassis was far beyond returning to perfection, but at least they fly. One of them quivers dangerously in the air, probably the result of an imbalanced emgrav drive, but even though it is an unsteady platform it saves the effort required to lift itself.

"Visions? The vision intended for me is either dead or completed.

What will you do?"

"What is a vision if not created?"

"Perhaps I have no place in the other world. Perhaps that vision for which I was intended for is also long gone. But I will live on, begotten of my own doing. What will you do?"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:27:40 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »

"Nonhazardous radiation sources detected. Advise against ingesting objects found in the pile."

Hmm. How about we make some thermite rounds. Penetrates metal casing and ruin the electronics inside with heat, but goes out quickly and has less physical effect than standard bullets.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2017, 11:34:13 pm »

((I suppose even my bonus to repair plus the tools didn't help much, right?))

"Ancient tech, huh? I'm always interested in that kind of material. This was all we could do with what we had at hand, though. What do you think? Gilles said, gesturing towards the drones with both of the Absalom's sets of arms.
>Yes?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2017, 12:51:35 am »

Raioyris smiles, "You're stubborn, holding on to such a useless form.

Tell me, what powers rest here in this snowy abyss?"

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2017, 12:57:47 am »

((I suppose even my bonus to repair plus the tools didn't help much, right?))

"Ancient tech, huh? I'm always interested in that kind of material. This was all we could do with what we had at hand, though. What do you think? Gilles said, gesturing towards the drones with both of the Absalom's sets of arms.

(Most of your bonus is encapsulated in the -1 to DIFF, which would take an average of 3 extra dice to even out. So you effectively got a +4 and so did AzyWng.
I can't tell you if you got more than the required amount to pass, because if you knew then you'd know if you forgot something.)

"...I am impressed. You do this for a living?"

He knocks on the quavering drone with his hand. It does its best to stabilize its flight, and can put up a reasonable impression of a healthy drone.
"Looks like I'll have to hunt some parts myself. Still, this will ease transport."

He reaches for his bag, and gets out some coins. There are three levels of coin in common use: Gold chips, which are worth the least, but are lightweight and good for daily transactions; Silicon chips, which are fairly valuable and used for large payments; and finally Copper chips, the most valuable. Most peasants wouldn't own even one, but it's about what you'd pay for a valuable artifact, or a month's rent at an apartment.
He offers three copper chips for your services.

Gained 3 Artifact Tokens (This represents enough payment to buy a typical artifact. Since ordinary supplies and such are fairly cheap in comparison, those are free to a reasonable level)

"Nonhazardous radiation sources detected. Advise against ingesting objects found in the pile."

Hmm. How about we make some thermite rounds. Penetrates metal casing and ruin the electronics inside with heat, but goes out quickly and has less physical effect than standard bullets.

There is lots of aluminium and rusted objects in the pile. The perfect setting to create a multitude of thermite rounds (-1 DIFF to creating several heavy attacks beforehand). [3 -> 2] Solj turns as many of his remaining magazines as he needs into Thermite Rounds ((5 box mags left)).

Raioyris smiles, "You're stubborn, holding on to such a useless form.

Tell me, what powers rest here in this snowy abyss?"

"Snowy abyss?"
The man seems genuinely perplexed.

"This is my paradise..."

Rai's jacket flakes off... and he feels a familiar chill down his spine. He finds his amulet under his clothing, along with the rest of his gear.

His adversary, on the other hand, turns out to be wearing a military uniform. His badge features the green earth and her sister moon, and his hat displays a stylized rocket ship.

"That hellish wasteland you inhabit... that is no home of mine."

He strikes with a flurry of blows, {4 -> 1} forcing Rai into a defensive stance. Using his powers now could be difficult, but rewarding (+1 DIFF).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:35:15 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37