Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48713 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Exmortal (IC Thread)
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:37:18 am »

OOC Thread

The Labyrinth looms overhead. Twin discs, each several kilometers wide, stacked on top of each other, form a cap over the labyrinth whose true purpose is unknown. Its secondary purpose, however, is well-known; it brings forth periodic rains which nurture the wildlife beneath the labyrinth's mighty shadow, forming a dense woodland area many villagers call home. Some build their homes in the trees and spread out tarps to catch the life-giving rains from above. Others live in more conventional villages such as Lockholm, a sizeable village of thatched roofs and brick housing. But with its prime location at the Maw of the great laybrinth, it sports sprawling marketplaces selling entering challengers.

"Hear ye, hear ye," shouts the almoner on the streetside. A metal carriage drawn by a hovering drone rolls by, in an instant revealing lines of paupers standing by and awaiting reprisal.
"The baron of Livermort has ordered the dispensation of alms for the assistance of the poor... All who work the land and tend the crops are welcome, as are the crafters, laborers, and artisans. To him who wears a sword, let your livings be made elsewhere."
"Almoner," shouts the baron, who stands at his courtier's side. "There are many poor here, too many for our stores,"
"Milord?"
"The number of poor. We don't have enough."
"Should I call off the almsgiving, then?"
"Nonsense! Send to the mansion, have them auction off all the lavish furniture in the mansion, and purchase cheap ones from the craftsmen in the village. The carpenters own their wage, and the poor deserve their aid. None will go hungry."

The next day...

The village marketplace is less busy at this hour than usual, thanks in no part to a recent uptick in the price of furniture. A lone glassblower sweeps the dust off his shop after a deluge of sales, while most of the restaurants are about now dumping their waste food and trash into the alleys. Tinkers are locking up their goods in transparent polymer cases, instruments of mass destruction in a handheld package with a glazed finish. But for the most part, there are no adventurers in sight; all have entered the labyrinth, and by the looks of the Sisters kneeling by a candlelight vigil, none have since returned.

There are five people present, of course, who do not fall into the above categories. They are not here to sell anything. Not here, at least. And they are no longer adventurers: by a stroke of genius or luck, the band got together on the grounds that most adventurers are sorely lacking in equipment, and the best way to progress further into the dungeon is to in fact establish a shop deep inside, where adventurers can purchase supplies, medical kits, and priceless artifacts sure to help them in combat.

The group was first organized by Gilles Charron, a friendly Aurogen machinist with a penchant for robotics. Then came the esoteric Raioyris, an experienced wanderer who always seemed to pose more questions than he found answers; Mr. Charron could not possibly refuse a curiosity of such magnitude. They were joined by a morbid puppet who called himself Millenus, and a machine calling itself Foreman of some kind of mining operation. And if one robot with a fleet of oddly-muscular metallic men with drills wasn't enough, an industrious denizen of the Labyrinth called Wilbur insisted he knew the way. To the important bits, at least.

The party of five enter the village; a travelling peddler tries to sell them a rare and expensive jewel from the labyrinth, a powerful weapon able to rend armies on its own. "It even talks!" he shrieks with great effort. But then an officer of the peace, a woman in dark blue uniform, wearing a knight's helm, visor-up, with a badge hanging from the feather-crest.
"Hey you! We have strict anti-slavery laws. You're not allowed to sell that here. In fact..." She looks at the party.
"I trust that you fine gentlemen can take care of this weapon while I bring him to the station?"

With great protest, the peddler is deprived of SO5lgs, now in the hands of the party. A talking gun. Who knew those existed?

Fate has it that there are many things to be seen. Perhaps treasure, perhaps glory, perhaps peril.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:40:38 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:07:58 am »

"Many thanks, officer. If you require my testimony, I will be sure to find some time at a future date."

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 02:13:08 am »

Wilbur jumps from one entreprenuerial companion's head to another, his sleek and slender metal spider body hardly slowing them down or changing their stride. He seems to be taking note of the sisters.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 02:28:34 am »

"Many thanks, officer. If you require my testimony, I will be sure to find some time at a future date."

"It's my job," she replies candidly. "I don't do it to help people out. You can go kill yourselves if you want, the gate's over there."

She points toward the trunk of the great Labyrinth, looming overhead in the aging skies.

"Or is it something else you're after? It's awfully late for an attempt. The Sisters are over there, mourning."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:31:49 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:14:37 am »

(Raioyris has a crow named Hermia)

Wilbur's excited leap stirs Hermia into a flapping, cawing, fit.

"Hermia!"

She sits lands on a nearby roof, eyeing Wilbur nervously.

"Well, I shouldn't have expected anything less."
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 03:21:12 am »

"You perplex me, Officer. If it is not in your nature to assist other people, then how is it that you find yourself in such a profession as Law Enforcement, a field dedicated to serving the public?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 03:37:41 am »

"You perplex me, Officer. If it is not in your nature to assist other people, then how is it that you find yourself in such a profession as Law Enforcement, a field dedicated to serving the public?"

"This world is falling apart at the seams," she replies, pinning the peddler to the ground and trying his wrists. "And people are a part of the problem. No, they are the problem. All the artifacts you adventurers haul out of that lordforsaken tower just make it worse.

I'm just here to keep the peace. This is the only job out there that deals with the people who cause problems."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 04:12:14 am »

"I see. This world is certainly declined from the time when I was created, but such events have happened in the past. It is by the application of previously lost technology that new civilizations can prosper, brought back up to the levels of the last, or even higher. The Aurogen prospered due to application of the previous three civilization's works, and surely that growth may occur again, even today. Things recovered now, here, may be key to the rise of a new, glorious world."

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 04:15:00 am »

Wilbur's attention shifts to the new companion. Not much of a face on you... He leaps onto Raioyris' shoulder to get up close. Hey, hey, guilty by association buddy! Seems like you may aswell join the business! You've been branded a marketeer... there are worse things to be.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:21:12 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 04:39:05 am »

Wilbur's attention shifts to the new companion. Not much of a face on you... He leaps onto Raioyris' shoulder to get up close. Hey, hey, guilty by association buddy! Seems like you may aswell join the business! You've been branded a marketeer... there are worse things to be.

"I was referring to your friends. And you, it seems."

"I see. This world is certainly declined from the time when I was created, but such events have happened in the past. It is by the application of previously lost technology that new civilizations can prosper, brought back up to the levels of the last, or even higher. The Aurogen prospered due to application of the previous three civilization's works, and surely that growth may occur again, even today. Things recovered now, here, may be key to the rise of a new, glorious world."

"That's the story. No kidding, people are free to do it. Laws are laws, and hauling stuff out of there isn't against the law. It's even rewarded, in some jurisdictions," The cop lets out a sigh.
"But really, the nerve of some people. Selling you off to some strangers? You've got to be offended by that."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:57:26 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 04:40:41 am »

Hermia scolds Wilbur with a caw.

"I think you took her shoulder-

People are the problem? I don't know if peace is considered significant in a world without people."

Raioyris takes the talkative gun from the officer, "I'm assuming you don't have a pair of feet tucked under there somewhere."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:51:45 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 04:59:43 am »

"That's the story. No kidding, people are free to do it. Laws are laws, and hauling stuff out of there isn't against the law. It's even rewarded, in some jurisdictions," The cop lets out a sigh.
"But really, the nerve of some people. Selling you off to some strangers? You've got to be offended by that."

"The strangers in this case seem friendly enough. Whether sold by him or liberated by you, I'm now held in the arms of the same person. The only difference that you brought along was whether or not currency passes hands over my transfer, which is of little relevance to me, all said."

Raioyris takes the talkative gun from the officer, "I'm assuming you don't have a pair of feet tucked under there somewhere."

I am afraid not. Generally the design of a gun first assumes a capable soldier to hold it, so that the full resources of the weapon may be put towards the process of destruction.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 09:04:15 am »

Wilbur hops onto SO5 to face her. You know officer I totally understand and I just want to say on a totally unrelated subject... You would look fantastic in a suit of Aurogen power armor never been used what-do-you-say come on down let's make a deal. Wait, wait, wait I know what you're thinking what if it's not my style my shape this stuff form fits. And the c o l o r oh my gosh the color would just compliment your eyes -Perfectly!
He presence his most adorable fuzzy wuzzy spider face beaming directly up at her. *blink blink*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 09:10:15 am »

"Do you happen to have any Power Armor of Aurogen make that does not currently belong to somebody else.
That is a rhetorical question."

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 10:28:55 am »

Never been worn. Never been owned. 100% organic polymer -glutron free. Cage free... Some of those models have a really tight rib cage, but NOT this one!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37