Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37

Author Topic: Exmortal (IC Thread)  (Read 48714 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exmortal (IC Thread)
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:03 pm »

"It sure sounds like there's something going on, at least." Gilles replied, moving closer and using the suit's smaller arms to work on the door.

Help repair the lock, then return to check on the recently-uncocooned member of the group in case he doesn't follow the group.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2016, 07:57:01 pm »

Gilles is far more experienced with the workings of mechanisms, and more importantly he has flexible tools for the job (-1 DIFF). [4 -> 1] He succeeds working in tandem with his rebellious comrade, using Raioyris' senses to pinpoint pieces of the lock, then using his expertise working with long, narrow tools inside restricted spaces to reassemble the broken pieces, fortunately large ones that are easy to jury-rig back into a working configuration. Having non-shaky hands on his hardsuit seals the deal.

With all that, the duo comes to the realization that the lock was never locked in its broken state. The door has been unlocked ever since the lock was shot. Neglecting to re-lock the door, however, the party now stands before a door that is positively unlocked. All they have to do is open it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:19:32 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2016, 08:33:19 pm »

"At least that was educative and we did a good deed for the lock's soul. Let's check what's inside." Gilles commented. He'd noticed the chain system and the door budging before, but he couldn't pass on an opportunity to restore tech. Maybe he should've done that later, after checking the sounds. Oh well.

Leave the lock open to prevent further abuse to it. Also open the door and move ahead to check the source of noises!
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2016, 08:46:22 pm »

Hold up. Wilbur gets in front of the group and looks up to them. I'm going to take off now. If you survive long enough to get to my locker I look forward to seeing you then. Also if the spider overlord chap could spare some of those to come with me and bring those carcasses that would be great but if you don't have any control over them anymore or can't spare them I understand. Either way I'll be heading off now. Maybe I'll see you up ahead. To riches!
Wilbur scurries up a shoot.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2016, 08:51:42 pm »

"Take off? Very well. Be careful not to lose a leg or anything.

I wonder if our Lady ever noticed this poor lock, it would seem to be her business.

Perhaps she only carries out punishment."
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2016, 09:15:15 pm »

"Fine Wilbur, but try not to get too far. I'm not fond of splitting the group. I guess that means we're heading back to check on our uncocooned friend in a moment, Raioyris." Gilles gestured behind them with an enormous hand for emphasis.

"And yeah, that seems likely. She mentioned punishing people, but not fixing what's broken."
>Yes?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2016, 09:16:12 pm »

Hold up. Wilbur gets in front of the group and looks up to them. I'm going to take off now. If you survive long enough to get to my locker I look forward to seeing you then. Also if the spider overlord chap could spare some of those to come with me and bring those carcasses that would be great but if you don't have any control over them anymore or can't spare them I understand. Either way I'll be heading off now. Maybe I'll see you up ahead. To riches!
Wilbur scurries up a shoot.

*chute

{Spider Control 3 -> 3} Now that he has gotten the hang of it, Raioyris issues a self-propagating illusion to the spiders, forcing them to treat Wilbur as both a target and an ally--they keep their distance, but are sure to follow. It seems to be the only way to get them to follow him... but when he's not around they should resume their normal spider activities... if everything works out properly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gilles pushes open the door with his hardsuit.

The stifling expanse beyond the door is haunting, to put it bluntly. One could hardly doubt the extent of human empathy when the natural reaction to such a bizzarely twisted hellscape of mechanical parts is one of disgust. The west and east walls of the auditorium-sized cavern are packed with piles of scrap from an aeon ago, so old that even the tarnish has worn off.

The center of the room is made from aged bricks, stained with all matter of coagulants. Blood, oil, bits of rust, and an occasional piece of debris that was never cleaned up. Pillars of blood-red marble, a dozen in total, lay in ruins, their remains either scattered across the ground and gleaming in the torchlight, or hanging above, placing additional strain on the structure they were built to support.
Across the room, in the back, is another door; designed similarly to the last, with the exception that this one is more true to its original luster, yet gouged in many places with pockmarks of heavy weaponry.

The sounds, evidently, came from this room. Three adventurers are facing off with four monstrous automatons that could be considered humanoid if not for their mismatched, multi-jointed limbs and haphazardly-armored torsos. Each has a pair of lustrous eyes on the sides of its triangular head, granting it almost full vision coverage with a ninety-degree blind spot in the back. The machines adjust their tactics immediately as additional threats pour into the room.

The adventurers are as follows: A man in a gleaming foil cape, suited in an exoskeleton and assisted in battle by two huge claws mounted on his back, in addition to smaller crab-like units wielding tomes, amulets, and other mystica. The second is an Aurogen clad in flak armor, an open laptop dangling from his waistbelt as he frantically dodges, bleeding from multiple wounds, his two hovering drones doing their best to shield him from a hail of weapons fire. In fact, it seems he is blocking some of the projectiles with his sword. Truly a feat to be reckoned with.
The third is a long-haired woman of indeterminate clade, wearing an active-camo cloak which flickers between its on and off states as she frantically evades one of the machines whilst trying to reload her crossbow.

The machines themselves, as bizzare as they are, seem to be of the same make and general form. They appear to be made of scrap, and are firing makeshift weapons: One of them has a sort of rail weapon bending arcs of plasma out of its pronged barrel, while another wields a slightly bigger claw than usual in addition to its normal clawed hand. One has a pair of long, skinny drills mounted on the same hand, drills made for boring through heavy armor in close combat, not for tunneling. This is the one chasing the third adventurer.
The last machine wields a long, segmented metal whip. It seems to pick up scrap off the floor with every swing.

Spoiler: Raioyris' Locus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Millenus, AKA Tomasque (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wilbur, AKA Roseheart (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:16:34 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »

See if I can't gleam with mage power why these robots find it necessary attack these adventurers.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:03:03 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2016, 10:14:19 pm »

"We've found more trouble, and it didn't even take that long." The Absalom's autocannon began moving on its gyrating base, trying to track one of the robot's movements while Gilles took in the tactical scenario. "Let's get to equalizing things for the moment being, then move on to neutralizing. I'm curious about the scrap robots. I'm not sure if they're new designs..."

Fire the autocannon's expanding foam shells at the automaton attacking the adventurer who looks to be in the most trouble, focus on clogging/hampering weaponry. Aim Solj if necessary.
>Yes?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2016, 12:26:16 am »

Sorry, but I gotta drop out - I can't keep up with RP heavy games :(

Edit: Sorry if it seems a bit sudden
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:28:42 am by Tomasque »
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 31, 2016, 12:50:16 am »

Solj speaks directly into Giles helmet through the exosuit's systems:
Requires input, Giles. Current load is optimized for less-lethal takedown. However, more energetic rounds could better insure the humans' safety.

Fire semi-auto on whichever target seems most likely to kill or injure a human. If Giles requests, factory micro missiles.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2016, 05:44:50 am »

"Let's try to neutralize instead of destroying. We have to figure out the situation." That and the Lady had said there wasn't any innocent blood involved, which hadn't gone unnoticed by Gilles.
>Yes?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2016, 10:59:49 am »

As if coming out of a daydream, Johan suddenly took a quick look around at his situation.

"Oh, uh, sorry, I just spaced out for a bit there... How are things going?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2016, 03:58:56 pm »

"Well, things are going.

I think we're deciding whether to blow these scrap robots to small bits or not.

Our Lady didn't warn us about these, meaning they probably diverge from the kind of tech she protects."

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2016, 08:28:00 pm »

(Roseheart I edited something into the last post)

See if I can't gleam with mage power why these robots find it necessary attack these adventurers.

[4 -> 2] The scrap robots are certainly magician-touched, but something is different about them. Raioyris pries into their group consciousness and realizes that these are war machines. Purpose-made. Their hatred radiates out to no end toward these humans and the next, and unlike the former creatures you've encountered, their aura has a powerful influence over the surrounding scrap and their bodies. You won't be able to issue commands without weakening them to a certain level.

"We've found more trouble, and it didn't even take that long." The Absalom's autocannon began moving on its gyrating base, trying to track one of the robot's movements while Gilles took in the tactical scenario. "Let's get to equalizing things for the moment being, then move on to neutralizing. I'm curious about the scrap robots. I'm not sure if they're new designs..."

Fire the autocannon's expanding foam shells at the automaton attacking the adventurer who looks to be in the most trouble, focus on clogging/hampering weaponry. Aim Solj if necessary.

Attacking from a distance, and at a melee target in close proximity, would be bound for disaster if Gilles were using lethal weaponry. He judges the ranged attacker pursued by melee to be in the most trouble, and opens fire in the drill robot chasing the adventuress.

[8+1 -> 4+0] A couple of shells fly past, given the machine's erratic motion and behavior. Those that hit the drill are promptly flung off by the spinning motion of the bit. But Gilles lands an appreciable fraction into the machine's body, and the roughly cobbled-together nature of its body provides numerous small spaces for the foam to expand into. Evidently, however, the expansion warped the interior components, and a small gout of hydraulic fluid springs out. The drill arm hangs loosely and starts dragging on the floor.

Target is slowed -- its charge attacks have +1 DIFF)

Solj speaks directly into Giles helmet through the exosuit's systems:
Requires input, Giles. Current load is optimized for less-lethal takedown. However, more energetic rounds could better insure the humans' safety.

Fire semi-auto on whichever target seems most likely to kill or injure a human. If Giles requests, factory micro missiles.

[6+5 -> 2+0] The less-lethal rounds don't do much against the metal husks. If anything, they grab its attention. The twisted machine slows its movement and turns its face to confront the group.

Actually, Solj can tell that one of his rounds cracked the machine's optics. Black tears stream down one side of the expressionless face.
It seems like it would have a more difficult time hitting with a ranged weapon, if it had one.

[4 -> 1] Millenus replicates the giant claw that one of the robots has. His arm calcifies and turns into a weapon just as monstrous. He then closes the gap (+1 DIFF) (almost slipping on the ice!), and the long reach of his claws allows him to easily enter the fray (-1 DIFF), targeting first the machine he stole the claw from.

The floor is not coated with ice near the center of the room. The epicenter of the ice must be near the door, though none of the rest of the party has moved yet.

[7 -> 1] He makes contact as he finishes his charge, trapping the machine's arms between the fingers of his new weapon.

Current Enemies:

Drill Bot - Cracked Optics (+1 DIFF to ranged attacks), Unpowered Drill Arm
Whip Bot - Unharmed
Claw Bot - Tangled (must make STR test for actions), Knocked Down (see next section)
Rail Bot - Unharmed

The machines have re-evaluated their priorities. One ones keeping the other two adventurers busy are unharmed--one has a crossbow bolt jammed in its shoulder, but seems hardly worse for wear all things considered.

The robot with the rail weapon turns and fires a hail of bolts--random assorted metal objects, pieces of scrap, and fasteners--toward Millenus. {3+2 -> 1+1} Despite the weapon's innaccuracy, it pegs both Millenus and the robot he is grappling with. Most of the bolts glance off the shear angles of the machine's body, but they embed themselves into Millenus and draw blood.

The robot with the drill turns to close in on the party instead. It will make an attack next turn.

The robot with the whip continues its assault on the adventurers. {3+3 -> 3} Its whip catches onto one of the drones. The drone seems to be out of ammunition for its gun, and offers little resistance as it gets thrashed against the ground. Its husk stays attached to the mag-whip.

The robot with the claw {3+3 -> 3} pushes against Millenus' grip with its legs. He is unable to hold the machine back, and they topple to the ground together.

The Magician, visibly shocked by Millenus' entry, casts a spell from his amulet. {3 -> 2} "Now what!?" he screams, as both Millenus and the machine with the claw get thrown across the room, into the western scrap pile.
"Looks like we got... backup?" shouts the Aurogen, using the loss of his first drone as an opportunity to gain some distance. "I think you just blasted some of that backup."

The ranger {3 -> 1 (Fail)} takes a moment to gather her bearings after the robot ceases targeting her.

NPC Status:

Magician - Unharmed
Aurogen Duelist - Bleeding (1)
Unknown Ranger - Shaken (Must pass Constitution test before she can contribute)
Millenus - Bleeding (1), Knocked Down

Spoiler: Raioyris' Locus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wilbur, AKA Roseheart (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37