Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129240 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15300 on: August 09, 2011, 02:30:04 pm »

I embarked on a cave (I made caves visible on embark via advanced worldgen parameters) and once I hit the caverns, I found a one-in-a-million-chance discovery: A cavern made of obsidian. Sweet! If my remaining four dorfs survive this giant beetle that's harassing us, I'm going to dig out the obsidian to make into swords. Only problem: A giant beetle from earlier killed my mushroom cutter. And I need wood to make the obsidian short swords.

I've lost my farmer, my woodcutter, and my metal-worker to those beetles. What do?

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15301 on: August 09, 2011, 02:52:21 pm »

Killed my first two forgotten beasts.  (With 22 dwarves and an extinct civ, it took a clothier's mood requiring silk to drag me out of my comfy safe turtle-fort and risk the caverns.)  No dwarves were lost, a few hundred units of meat and bones were gained, the corpse with the poisonous blood is forbidden and forgotten, and my militia commander is getting around rather well on his new crutch.  So, I'd count it a success.

Now if I can just get my courting couples to marry off and make a new generation of workers, oh, and there's that beastie in the OTHER cavern to slaughter ...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15302 on: August 09, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »

I embarked on a cave (I made caves visible on embark via advanced worldgen parameters) and once I hit the caverns, I found a one-in-a-million-chance discovery: A cavern made of obsidian. Sweet! If my remaining four dorfs survive this giant beetle that's harassing us, I'm going to dig out the obsidian to make into swords. Only problem: A giant beetle from earlier killed my mushroom cutter. And I need wood to make the obsidian short swords.

I've lost my farmer, my woodcutter, and my metal-worker to those beetles. What do?

Give someone else the axe and have him cut wood...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15303 on: August 09, 2011, 03:05:54 pm »

Numtosid is getting a little crisis. There's more people than wood for beds and metal for armor we can afford at the moment.

Goblins and shruk aren't visiting, and I exhausted all the veins of metal I could find around this magma-blasted landscape.

Not to mention that humans haven't shown up, yet it's fifth year of the fort already...

But my forts always get through tough shit to die from silly reasons, so I bet I will get some metal somehow :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15304 on: August 09, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »

Year three :
    Replace all cage traps with weapon traps.
    Butcher all non-pet animals.
    Dig out, equip, decorate and stock two multi-level panic rooms (backup fortresses)
    Plan tortuous path to the clown-farm

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:15:00 pm by Varnifane »
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15305 on: August 09, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »

Give someone else the axe and have him cut wood...

Two things:

What about the farmer and metal-worker?

My crafts-dwarf can't cut wood and make obsidian swords at the same time.

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15306 on: August 09, 2011, 04:00:29 pm »

A child went berserk, ran into the room of an unconscious, bedridden swordsdwarf, and began doing absolutely no damage whatsoever:

They've been stuck in this stalemate for like a month. I'd call in the militia to end this but I sort of want to see whether the kid can hurt the swordsdwarf faster than he can heal himself.
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15307 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »

The traps captured 29 goblins and killed seven more broke the seige with a couple of days and a couple of arrows

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15308 on: August 09, 2011, 07:15:46 pm »

Packed my old fort away since I got the genisis mod, and Im going to have Fun with all of the different castes. Thank you deon, the mod is awsome.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #15309 on: August 09, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »

After the first royal test run I can proudly say that my first magma piston is a beautiful fuck-up. Extensive reconfiguration is underway. I hope I can do another run within two years... oh dear.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15310 on: August 09, 2011, 07:59:53 pm »

Building an Outpost on the beach to finish a Bridge and Road that connects the North to the South of my site, thus connecting the main island to a small one on the south.
Was planning a somewhat big project but the Ocean Waves are making me get 25 FPS and it's annoying me, so I'll probably finish the roads and abandon the place..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15311 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:48 pm »

Count your self lucky; I rarely go over 30 fps after I hit about 50 dwarves.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15312 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »

Drowning every noble that makes me angry with a system of floodgates from a river hooked up to their rooms. I lost a Legendary Speardwarf to the Mayor and the Captain of the Guards harsh beating. Happy to say at 100 dwarves i maintain 70 FPS :D. That and i discovered rock pots are so much better than barrels. Stonecrafters, the new most used profession.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15313 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »

I've embarked here with only this.

And of course, the RNG has named my new fortress "Lushmines".

Next post
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:39:38 pm by Scraggletag »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15314 on: August 09, 2011, 09:41:51 pm »

Halfway into my second year, and I've finally got a dining hall! This would probably go faster if 80% of my fort wasn't doing military training at any given time.
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 3842