Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129239 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15315 on: August 09, 2011, 10:12:21 pm »

As it turns out, you shouldn't build pits of endless falling and dying on maps with buzzards- at least not in the middle of your fort. I've now lost two dwarves to the scourge. Since I'm not using ranged units this game, I'm setting up a patrol that will hopefully intercept buzzards before they get to the pit.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15316 on: August 10, 2011, 12:17:30 am »

My hunter is having lots of fun torturing an Elephant, and leveled up from Novice to Skilled just by doing it.

Spoiler: Hunter Fun (click to show/hide)
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15317 on: August 10, 2011, 12:28:15 am »

Messing around with world temperature settings.  Once it gets low enough, merchants can't reach your embark, all booze freezes instantly on contact with the outside, and dwarves can survive a minute or so before freezing to death.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15318 on: August 10, 2011, 01:01:54 am »

I tried uncapping the max temperature once in an attempt to make a more desert-filled world for Deon's wasteland mod once. Everything looked fine until I went to check it out in adventure mode and the second I took a step every single thing in the world burst in to flames. It was pretty awesome.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15319 on: August 10, 2011, 03:10:40 am »

As it turns out, you shouldn't build pits of endless falling and dying on maps with buzzards- at least not in the middle of your fort. I've now lost two dwarves to the scourge. Since I'm not using ranged units this game, I'm setting up a patrol that will hopefully intercept buzzards before they get to the pit.

This super-military fort is interesting, keep on updating. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15320 on: August 10, 2011, 05:23:59 am »

New fort on a rocky wasteland at the base of a moutain range. I've embarked with six picks too boost the mining speed and to find a use for the useless migrants. I'm under a mountain of chalk so flux is not a problem for once, I have a little coal but no iron. I can make bronze but I don't know if there's enough cassiterite on map though.

Right after the second wave of migrants, one of them got a mood. He's a weaponsmith so i've build the forge just for him and order the smelting of a gold bar. Now i'm waiting to see what weapon he'll make with that. Of course, I know that gold is not good for a weapon but I like the idea of a ceremonial weapon for the sheriff/captain of the guard.

Funny thing : There's a little spot in the north part of my map with never-ending rain, kind of a microclimate.

EDIT : It's Boweltime! a gold crossbow stud with gold. I like the fact that it'll be useful after all and I like the name. I imagine the marksdwarf shouting It's Boweltime! à la MC Hammer before aiming for the guts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:39:40 am by Wolock »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15321 on: August 10, 2011, 09:06:16 am »

4 years in and Frosthames is thriving. The aquifer was breached and by the second year a more permanent fort was carved out of the rock below the first cavern. The tundra/glacier/taiga environment has yielded much food surprisingly. Even beehives for when i get around to setting up a mead industry. Only ambushes from goblins have arrived so far but they have all been beaten back. The surviving militia in the commanders squad all starting now to be decent fighters.

Most of my imports have been weapons grade and more importantly armor grade metals. As this embark has plenty of gold and galena and nothing else so far. All the steel I have been able to import has been going towards crafting a full suit of steel armor for my commander. His unit also wear copper masks looted off the goblins. And polar bear leather cloaks. Also a unit of marksdwarves led by the best hunter in the fort is training up nicely. The militia has performed admirably with the commander alone racking up 18 notable kills. Mostly goblins. But some 23 dwarves have died from cave croc or goblin attacks. A crypt level is slowly filling up with those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

The second cavern has been breached but by accident whilst carving a food warehouse. So construction was made to fill out the intended plan. Plus a well has finally been placed. Made of solid gold with silver mechanisms. When dwarves have a bath at it they are ecstatic.

Current plans: Continue importing armor and melting goblin gear to fully kit out the militia commanders squad in full armor and copper shields. All have helms, breastplates, chain shirts and chain leggings minimum so that's not too far off. Any steel I import/make will go towards fully kitting the squad with steel armor and weapons. When I have more squads the commanders squad will be my veterans. With the best of the other squads recruited into it.

Dwarven housing scheme: I shall make bedrooms 3x5 with bed, coffer, cabinet and door for every dwarf. All furniture will in time be replaced with gold from the massive amounts of ore I found. Possibly try to find something to build with all this lead I have building up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:16:16 am by Lexx »

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15322 on: August 10, 2011, 10:16:54 am »

Fought and killed a mountain titan with "deadly spittle" (hurled frozen extract that did no more damage than bruising) with 20 dwarves. 20 dwarves with in total 1 mail shirt, 3 metal weapons and a bunch of war animals.

I have 4-6 war dogs, 2 war jaguars, 1 war giant tiger and 11 adult war elephants with 4 elephant calves. They stay alive due to minor editing.

I just created an ass-load of huge new pastures because I couldn't possibly keep 11 elephants inside my walls. Not in the least because they were sharing pastures with smaller, squishier animals. (War elephant attacks baby llama!) The pastures are on the edges and corners so the elephants there should work as sentries as well as being out of the way of other animals.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15323 on: August 10, 2011, 11:44:43 am »

I have decreed that my framerate must suffer. As such, I have used dfliquids to drain the magma sea.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15324 on: August 10, 2011, 12:33:15 pm »

GAAAHHH! My cave embark has animal and dwarf corpses in the cave descending to the caverns, and, because the fort of now 4 dwarfs cannot deal with the corpses, the corpses rotted and started producing miasma. And my dwarfs are surfacing to the waggon to get a drink. I knew I had to forbid my waggon after descending...

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15325 on: August 10, 2011, 01:46:11 pm »

It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15326 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:21 pm »

You need to make restricted paths at the doors.

Unless the room has very large border, the game will count 'shorter' path outside :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15327 on: August 10, 2011, 02:10:42 pm »

I feel like it's still going to rankle like an unreplaced Glade PlugIn with me.

In other news, my fort was ambushed by exactly six goblins, and I had exactly six cage traps, and they somehow managed to all get caught. Damn.
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15328 on: August 10, 2011, 02:12:58 pm »

I finally got the pinnical of dwarven armour for the first time thanks to my starting 7 doctor:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And with a sweet name to boot!

That makes my 30th artifact in a fortress of 50 dwarves and brings me closer to that elusive artifact suit of armour. I now have a breastplate, chain mail shirt, greaves and 2 high boots. Still undecided on what dwarf would be worthy of such a thing.

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15329 on: August 10, 2011, 02:21:10 pm »

Still undecided on what dwarf would be worthy of such a thing.

1.)Awesome name
2.)Give them to the dorf with the highest attack skill :)
Pages: 1 ... 1020 1021 [1022] 1023 1024 ... 3842