Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129241 times)

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15330 on: August 10, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »

A giant pyrimid with tombs on each level is being built...... ever so painfully slowly.....

The base of it is 30x 30, not including the ramps.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15331 on: August 10, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »

Still undecided on what dwarf would be worthy of such a thing.

1.)Awesome name
2.)Give them to the dorf with the highest attack skill :)

Not quite that simple, half my military have skills that would make danger room trained dwarves wet their pig tail pants. Its got to be something more then skill, or even completely unrelated to combat. I won't be handing it out untill it's a full set so I have time to figure it out.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: August 10, 2011, 03:14:44 pm »

Previous post

My zero-point embark on completely barren badlands (with an aquifer!) is going better than I expected.

I disassembled the wagon for some building materials then butchered my two starting animals. Cooked their meat, spun their hair, tanned their hides and started crafting their bones. I turned both hides into quivers but I only got 3 crossbows and 4 stacks of bolts done before the bones rotted away.

I considered hunting some of the native wildlife, but all I saw were camels. I didn't think 20 bolts would be enough for an inexperienced hunter to kill a camel and I didn't want to risk one of my dwarves getting kicked in the head. I'm glad I didn't waste the bolts though, because soon enough the camels were replaced by buzzards. My hastily drafted militia managed to kill a few (mostly by beating them to death with their bone crossbows), but more of them made it to my stockpile and ran off with stacks of prepared meals. Overall it was a loss, buzzards return almost nothing when butchered.

Fortunately there is a creek on my map. I was mainly concerned that my dwarves would need something to drink before the first caravan arrived but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it contains a seemingly infinite number of mussels. I kept most of my dwarves busy though summer with fishing, fish cleaning and turning mussel shells into crafts for the caravan.

It's autumn now, and work has mostly halted. I had to disassemble all my workshops to build a trade depot. The caravan should be here any minute.

I hope they bring a pick.

Next post

Edit: Forgot to mention, got 3 migrants. One of them brought a pet pig. Poor guy is gonna starve to death...
And I won't even be able to butcher the corpse.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:36:46 pm by Scraggletag »

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15333 on: August 10, 2011, 03:22:35 pm »

Bringing magma into the fort from a volcano atop a mountain can be... difficult if not prepared for properly. And if it goes wrong somebody wins 5 bucks worth of cookies. Literally, I will mail them to the guy. On a more on-topic comment, my woodworker/blacksmith went fey and produced an artifact steel cabinet. Worth 108000 dwarfbucks. It has pretty blue garnets in it as well, so that's cool. Almost had all the metal ores hauled up the side of the mountain until I remembered the lavaworks project. Bets are still open for the demise of this fortress.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15334 on: August 10, 2011, 03:28:06 pm »

After discovering that if you define a garbage zone ADJACENT to one tile of lava, everything can be vaporized...

I'm now vaporizing everything.

ah, so much cleaner.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: August 10, 2011, 03:31:29 pm »

Not quite that simple, half my military have skills that would make danger room trained dwarves wet their pig tail pants. Its got to be something more then skill, or even completely unrelated to combat. I won't be handing it out untill it's a full set so I have time to figure it out.

The answer then is obvious. Capture goblins. Lots of goblins. Throw them all into a giant bowl-shaped arena. Send in the military dwarves, completely unarmed. The first dwarf to kill a goblin by ripping it's throat out with their teeth wins the prize.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: August 10, 2011, 05:29:42 pm »

My zero-point embark on completely barren badlands (with an aquifer!) is going better than I expected.
In other words, you brought NOTHING with you?

I disassembled the wagon for some building materials then butchered my two starting animals. Cooked their meat, spun their hair, tanned their hides and started crafting their bones. I turned both hides into quivers but I only got 3 crossbows and 4 stacks of bolts done before the bones rotted away.
Only do one xbow. Make the rest to bolts. Make one quiver, and a leather armour. THEN go hunt.

Fortunately there is a creek on my map. I was mainly concerned that my dwarves would need something to drink before the first caravan arrived but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it contains a seemingly infinite number of mussels. I kept most of my dwarves busy though summer with fishing, fish cleaning and turning mussel shells into crafts for the caravan.
Fish non-stop. You'll get more food that way than what the caravan brings.
It's autumn now, and work has mostly halted. I had to disassemble all my workshops to build a trade depot. The caravan should be here any minute.

Forbid and deconstruct the depot, then scrounge up what they brought. That's what I did during Dike-Faith's first year.

Put any picks you find to good use. Dig out a farm plot, designate plump helmets for the whole year for now. If they don't bring seeds, you're screwed unless you can take some seeds from the Elves or Men.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: August 10, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »

Yay, my first fort with a non-danger room decent military with no indigenous steel. Embarking with  a steel sword was a good idea btw, and it was worth the lack of food that resulted. No dwarf of mine is going to become attached to anything other than steel swords.

I'm lacking a bit in armor, but I have a plan to give them high quality iron until there is enough steel to go around.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15338 on: August 10, 2011, 05:53:57 pm »

In a single word: redecoration. That's what going on. I tried building everything in rough granite, but red seems to be the new trend. There were no goblin sieges since I captures (and later killed) their general about 3 years ago, but the elves are more dependable.

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15339 on: August 10, 2011, 06:46:18 pm »

Lavaworks are up and haven't flooded my fort in the stuff. So win/fail for me?

Metal worker gets possessed and take one of my steel bars... and makes a splint. If I wasn't about to be swimming in the stuff I would have been pissed, but the dwarf is now on squad "cavernfodder", which will live up to it's name. All dwarves die, it's just a matter of the RGN.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: August 10, 2011, 07:32:51 pm »

Previous post

Lushmines is thriving, despite the fact that the caravan failed to bring a single pick.

They did, however, bring a donkey in a copper cage, a few pieces of wood and a steel anvil. I butchered the donkey, charred some of the wood, melted the cage and forged my own pick. I also bought some stone blocks, lumps of clay, 2 barrels, a cat (in a useless zinc cage) and a stack of plump helmets. When I brewed the plump helmets, my dwarves enjoyed the first booze they've had since they left the mountain homes. It took every last scrap of mussel shell crafts, but I've got the basics covered now.

It's almost starting to look like a proper fortress. I dug out a farm, dormitory and defensive moat along with underground food and refuse stockpiles. But digging has been effectively halted by the aquifer. I don't have enough wood left to build a pump, let alone wall off the incoming water.

Two more immigrants arrived, but Sakzul the bonecarver is still hands-down the single most useful dwarf in the fortress. She has been diligently pumping out mussel shell crafts and donkey bone bolts all winter. She absolutely detests mussels.

Also, it turns out that pet grazers will be fed dwarf food by their masters if they get hungry enough. Fath the pig is alive and well.

It's spring now and the elves will be coming soon. With any luck, they'll bring enough wood to help pierce the aquifer. I won't even have to tear down my all workshops to rebuild the depot this time, thanks to the clay and stone blocks I bought earlier.

Next post

In other words, you brought NOTHING with you?
I didn't bring nothing; I brought 7 peasants, a wagon made from 3 pieces of wood, a yak and a horse. Bringing nothing would have been hard.

Forbid and deconstruct the depot, then scrounge up what they brought. That's what I did during Dike-Faith's first year.
I mean no offense, but the whole point of this experiment was to play with some extra challenge.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:39:03 pm by Scraggletag »

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15341 on: August 10, 2011, 07:46:44 pm »

Frosthames in its 6th year encountered its first forgotten beast ( I usually find one by year two..) called Malolom. A gigantic flatworm with a shell and feathers. My lasher with its silver whip taken from a goblin squad leader was able to get it feeling pain even through the shell. Distracting it long enough for a steel spear and copper longsword wielding pair of fellow militia to finish it off. It is currently being chopped up in the butchers shop for plentiful roasts and soap tallow.

The housing for all project continues well. I have 4 mason shops churning out furniture, 2 carpenters workshops making beds and bins and an army of engravers smoothing the 3x5 rooms ready for use. Out of the forts 120 or so population 40 now have single bedrooms. I should have 120 houses by the following year and surplus rooms the year after at this rate.

I am mainly playing this to test the lizardmen and Orc civilisations I am working on. along with the usual goblins the lizardmen and orcs have both sent ambushes. Whilst the Lizardmen were tough but not nothing too dangerous for my militia. The Orcs provide a decent challenge for my militia. So far Orc ambushers have accounted for 3 fully armored in a mix of metals dwarves lives. Moderately trained. Though all that have come to Frosthames have been cut down. The militia commander accounting for 3 himself with his silver warhammer. Now clad in a full suit of steel armor with copper mask. Now having a total of 36 kills. With a second melee squad now in training. Compromising of 5  silver hammers, 2 silver flails, 1 copper longsword  a steel spear and a battle axe.

My leatherworkers made an artifact leather shield AND artifact leather armor. These were quickly assigned to the marksdwarf squad leader to maximize his effectiveness. I hope to get him an artifact crossbow some day. Till then its copper/bone ones.

I now have a breeding pair of cave crocodiles. I just have to wait till the eggs hatch in the locked egg laying room now for the first generation to be ready. I also have a giant olm and am hoping to get a breeding pair of these also. Once I have both species in decent amounts I will kill off the population of dogs present to save on fps.

Also a curious structure has been found. Full of zombie moosemen and zombie capybaramen. I'm quite excited as I rarely run into these and it has been a while. There is a magma pool as well on the 3rd cavern level that is now the garbage disposal. Lead doors have been built across the entrance to the exit from the staircase leading from that level to my fort. Though I know there will be much more preparation needed before dealing with the curious structure. Still no metal other than gold and galena.. I need to send a squad out on expedition it seems to fully chart these caves. Possibly the new militia melee squad..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:59:45 pm by Lexx »

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: August 10, 2011, 09:47:26 pm »

I now have 24 little baby alligators. I have plans for them, oh yes I do. Aerial reptilian bombardment. Let my gators fly!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:31 pm »

In an effort to speed along construction (and have more than three totems for the caravans,) I've reworked my military schedules. In doing so I have a rotation where each squad gets every other month off, with two tours of training followed by a tour of patrol duty. This ensures I will always have three or four squads available for manual labor and at least one squad on patrol (right now the extra patrol falls on the first of the month- caravan raiding season) without unduly sacrificing training times.

41/55 of my population is currently an active member of the military, which is just under 75% for those keeping score at home. Unfortunately, my food production isn't keeping pace with my population growth, and my lack of mineral wealth means my military is under-equipped. I just found some cassiterite at the very bottom of the map (which should complement my abundant malachite veins rather nicely,) so hopefully that situation will be rectified soon. Worst comes to worst, there's always the bluemetal.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15344 on: August 10, 2011, 10:02:43 pm »

I meant, nothing in the wagon, not nothing at all.

Oh. I couldn't make enough items to sell, and I was getting desperate, so I resorted to forbidding the depot for food and booze.

Otherwise, good job constructing a fort from almost nothing! I'll have to try this at some point. I modded out the dwarf's dependence for alcohol, however, so this challenge may have been cheated a little.

EDIT: All @ Scraggletag. Sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 3842