Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129110 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15285 on: August 08, 2011, 10:03:23 pm »

A very eventful session in Daggerdepths. First, an armoursmith mood from my mayor. She has no preference for armour so i'm hoping it's greaves or a gauntlet, as I have dwarves already set to make all the other armour pieces I don't have for my all-artifact suit.

She's collecting things when a Giantess arrives. That's cool, I just make sure my military doesn't interfere and let her try and destroy the artifact armour stand I have outside. She does, as expected, so I order a mason to construct a wall near her on the other side of a line of cage traps. Giantess paths towards the yummy little dwarf and she's later hauled away (very slowly...) to chill with the minotaur I already have. I'll think of something to do with them later.

In the meantime, waiting to see if my mayor is going to make an armour piece I need, I notice she's no longer mayor. Siegebane is now mayor, a speardwarf whom by his name you can probably guess is really good in sieges. There really needs to be a message about elections...

Finally my ex-mayor finishes her construction and what do you know? Adamantine greaves! Just what I needed. It was a bittersweet moment, she and I were happy about the greaves, but all the no good dwarves rewarded her by removing her from office. Some might say that in itself is a reward but I ignore mandates and don't have a guard captain, I could care less about mandates. Bah.

(45/50 dwarves have pending prison time. Appointing a guard captain would be FUN no?)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15286 on: August 08, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »

45/50 dwarves have pending prison time. Appointing a guard captain would be FUN no?

Just wait 'till your hammerer arrives.

My hole in the ground just became a barony. This is peculiar - not in that I became a barony, but because I never had a mayor. I've had more than fifty dwarves ever since two migrations ago, so I'm not entirely sure what happened there.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15287 on: August 08, 2011, 10:46:55 pm »

Artifact joy...

"plump helmet in naked mole dog leather" ... sounds dirty, but really isn't ! :P

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15288 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47:15 pm »

45/50 dwarves have pending prison time. Appointing a guard captain would be FUN no?

Just wait 'till your hammerer arrives.

My hole in the ground just became a barony. This is peculiar - not in that I became a barony, but because I never had a mayor. I've had more than fifty dwarves ever since two migrations ago, so I'm not entirely sure what happened there.

Will be a long wait. My last immigration was 10 years ago and I wont be letting anymore in. Babies on the otherhand, i'll be allowing them soon enough. Any hammerer that arrives wont know what hit him.

What is the condition of the hammerer anyways? I've never had one in the 2010+ versions and wiki says it's bugged. I've had a duke for a long time so it can't be that.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15289 on: August 08, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »

Yet ANOTHER Nightwing. I've decided to abandon the embark, do some raw tweaking on my custom race, and start over. That embark had some good FUN but... all that constant Nightwing attacking is starting to wear on me a bit. I need to think of a design for an aboveground keep that actually keeps them OUT. Darn them and their flying.

On a somewhat offtopic note, I've had fortresses with a population of almost 70 and I've never once seen my fortress get beyond an Outpost I think. Somewhat disappointing.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15290 on: August 09, 2011, 02:24:12 am »

Our woodcutters just got married.
I'll prepare a nest box for the wife soon.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15291 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:12 am »

My stock screen shows that I have over 1k booze and 3k food. I did this only using caravan bought food cooked into roasts/brewed, with turkey eggs, and what I could hunt/gather. I would sell it all, but the caravans already bring so much crap that just scrolling through it all takes a few minutes.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

kyle902

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15292 on: August 09, 2011, 03:10:30 am »

Just mass pitted a bunch of gobbos into my arena and had them fight my elite squad. The elite squad won with one casualty(I let the gobbos keep their weapons)

So much goblinite....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:17:32 am by kyle902 »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15293 on: August 09, 2011, 04:27:56 am »

Our female woodcutter's eggs just hatched.

Also, I just got hundreds of booze, weapons, and pets after selling several wooden trap components.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:53:20 am by jaxy15 »

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15294 on: August 09, 2011, 05:12:59 am »

I'm on the third fortress that has no iron ore. Zinc, nickel, all the useless stuff... no iron. My first fortress had copper, the ones afterwards not even that, not even after digging into caverns. So, for the most part, my current fortress like the others before is busy trying to equip its military with SOMETHING before the invasions start - mostly leather armor and whatever I can loot from ambushers / buy from traders / melt down and reforge. Whenever the traders bring another mithril weapon (I play the Civilization Forge mod) I sacrifice to Armok as thanks, even if it's just a pick.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15295 on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:16 am »

The elves of Anayaarile left today. We bought out the caravan for our trade goods and got a macaque pair out of it. Odd name though. 'The Dead Birds' is their name in the common tongue. For creatures that want to protect nature, why they would name their country after animal corpses is beyond me.
Armok gave me a respite today. We captured two unicorns and he worked his powers so that they could be converted into slavering beasts of war on the proviso that Zalisiden would use them to make BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! Will do! (If I don't I'll get demoted. I'm low enough as it is!)

Reudh, minor deity.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15296 on: August 09, 2011, 11:05:39 am »

My first mood in this fort got me an artifact galena coffin and an EVEN-MORE-legendary miner. Also, my soldiers are doing masonry work, I have three mechanics out of 20 dwarves, and the only stone I'm letting either of them use is orthoclase because I have oh so much of it and I have magma-based isolation and decontamination systems in place in my head.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15297 on: August 09, 2011, 01:11:14 pm »

I thought the only truly dangerous job title I had was "peon". Those are the dwarves running around picking up goblinite after all. Apparently I'm wrong though - the mechanic is the most dangerous job in my fort.

As soon as some goblin trips a trap on the outer reaches, my mechanic's first thought is "oh! I gotta go get that cage and return it to the stockpile!". There's a reason why he trains the dogs. Unfortunately, a few guard dogs can't do jack against against a goblin. it seems - not even distract them until the warriors arrive. Stupid fucking mechanics.

Anyways, I'm bored with this fort design and have other plans for the next one. I'll set almost everything to dump (into the trash compactor), and when it's done (or largely done), I'll start another fort next to this one.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15298 on: August 09, 2011, 01:26:40 pm »

Three hornlizards died of old age.
Crap.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15299 on: August 09, 2011, 01:39:29 pm »

I thought the only truly dangerous job title I had was "peon". Those are the dwarves running around picking up goblinite after all. Apparently I'm wrong though - the mechanic is the most dangerous job in my fort.

As soon as some goblin trips a trap on the outer reaches, my mechanic's first thought is "oh! I gotta go get that cage and return it to the stockpile!". There's a reason why he trains the dogs. Unfortunately, a few guard dogs can't do jack against against a goblin. it seems - not even distract them until the warriors arrive. Stupid fucking mechanics.

Anyways, I'm bored with this fort design and have other plans for the next one. I'll set almost everything to dump (into the trash compactor), and when it's done (or largely done), I'll start another fort next to this one.

Mass-forbid your traps so the mechanics don't reload them. You can mass-claim them again once the goblins are gone.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 3842