Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: X-Com on Forums: Test Version  (Read 21720 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com on Forums: Test Version
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2015, 12:25:21 pm »

According to game laws the latter is much more fragile than the former :V
I've caught a canister within the blast radius of an HE grenade before and it didn't destroy it. You can chalk that up to luck, of course, but this is the extreme edge of the grenade's area of effect against a full-cover target that encompasses a whole tile. I like my odds. Roll it.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2015, 12:44:33 pm »

Holy shit that was the greatest grenade of all time. I will post results soon.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2015, 01:15:25 pm »

Quote from: Greatest HE grenade of all time
Sectoid B takes 3 damage!
Sectoid C takes 3 damage!
Fence (H-I12): 3. Destroyed!
Fence (H-I13): 82. Resisted!
Fence (H-I14): 3. Destroyed!
Rock (K14): 49. Resisted!
Window (F-G14): 72. Resisted!
Door (F-G15): 58. Resisted!
Wall (F-G16): 66. Resisted!
Canister (J17): 96. Resisted!
Oh, HELL YEAH! Welcome to Earth, you bastards!
Arthur moves to L8.
That's inadvisable. You stand a good chance of revealing more aliens beyond that tree before the rest of us have a chance to get into new cover positions. Maybe you should Overwatch to pin him down for now?
Cancel previous action them and move to L8 and fire on visible sectoid!
Please don't do this? x_X  We're pushing our luck as is. Better to wait until the rest of our team is in position before risking another 3-4 alien activation in our current state.

EDIT: Author, I just thought of something. Since I've thrown both my grenades, does that mean my Mobility goes up, since each of them slowed me down by 0.5? Or does it remain what it was when I went into this mission? I'm asking 'cause in the latest versions of Long War, a Rocketeer firing his extra rocket recovers some of the mobility it costed for him to carry it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:49:03 pm by Xvareon »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2015, 02:06:37 pm »

It only works for rockets.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:51 pm »

If you happen to get that far before I can post again tomorrow, please repeat Derek's fire at the same sectoid.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2015, 06:18:07 am »

Ok, since the greatest grenade of all time happened I determined the AOE range of HE and AP grenades should be lowered to 2 tiles.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2015, 06:52:17 am »

...So, who wants to move forward first?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2015, 07:17:13 am »

Ok, since the greatest grenade of all time happened I determined the AOE range of HE and AP grenades should be lowered to 2 tiles.
Can we instead adjust the formula to (1d5 +1 - distance) damage (minimum 0)?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2015, 07:19:14 am »

Jane should go to K17 to secure the meld, Crazy should move to G16 and open the door and fire on the sectoid. I (Arthur) will move to K9 once the sectoid is down - he might be on Overwatch.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2015, 07:25:41 am »

Jane should go to K17 to secure the meld, Crazy should move to G16 and open the door and fire on the sectoid. I (Arthur) will move to K9 once the sectoid is down - he might be on Overwatch.
I'd rather you move to K9 first. The might be something west of the empty barn that will shoot on me as I run for the house. I'm also not sure if we shouldn't all draw closer the hosue, so we can fire more than 1 shot at that alien on the same turn.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2015, 07:37:13 am »

Can we instead adjust the formula to (1d5 +1 - distance) damage (minimum 0)?
Actually the formula I use is (1d3+2 - distance) for HE and +3 for AP, but the AOE is still kinda too big. Hitting two aliens that distance apart and all that cover is way too much.

I may keep the AOE for AP grenades, but HE are getting their AOE reduced to 2 tiles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:39:33 am by Solymr »

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2015, 10:44:25 am »

Solymr, is there any chance you could put our items in the 'Units' list you have at the end of each turn/map update in the IC thread? I mean, I knew I had one HE grenade and one Flashbang, but I can't tell who else had the AP grenades, medikits, etc. without going all the way back to their character sheets in the OOC thread here and clicking on each one individually. That's kinda tedious. If you could include our carried small items so that we know what we and our allies can use at a glance on the field, that would be great. Also, our movement range, if you could, please. I mean, come on. I guess I could make 6 individual bookmarks for each character sheet, but then I'd have to do that for every subsequent character in every mission afterwards. Thanks!

EDIT: Four Sectoids in heavy cover with no easy flanking angle... pheeeew. Ok. This is gonna be a tough one, especially since none of you but me and Arthur thought to bring grenades. A firefight across heavy cover would not be ideal at all without any kind of cover-busting left and only one smoke grenade. We need to lure them out of that house. Here's what I'm thinking: 
* Jane to P18 and Overwatch
* Crazy to N16 (unless you want to Hunker Down and try to resist Psi-spamming)
* Arthur to N11 and Hunker Down (preparing to AP grenade from either that position or L13 next turn)
* Derek back to L8
* Adrianna taking Arthur's place at O7 and Overwatch.
* Andrea could Overwatch from her current position in case a Sectoid comes through that door or the window on the right side of the house.

Sound good? Everyone else can feel free to disregard, of course. Just remember that Sectoids can Psi-Panic or Mindfray you even when you're in cover. Hunkering Down in Full Cover will, however, make you almost untouchable by their weapons.
Arthur moves to L8 and Overwatches.
That leaves Derek with his ass hanging out at I8 with 3 Sectoids having a bead on him from full cover. He could Hunker Down to bump his defense to 60 and get a point of damage reduction to boot, but that still leaves him vulnerable to psychic attack, and if the Sectoids move up to that fence they're gonna get almost point-blank range bonuses anyway. Still, it could work. It's just risky, plus it offers little incentive for the aliens to come out and play.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:15:07 am by Xvareon »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2015, 11:20:16 am »

I will include all that info on subsequent updates.

I could also link to your sheets in each spoiler but codewise it's easier to list your items.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:29 pm »

But Adriana already made a full action.

Usually I would make your move official already since I updated map, but since you didn't move and this is a test map I will allow it this time.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2015, 07:14:09 am »

Crazy and Derek need to move. In addition, does anyone know the xp for each level up for Long War?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21