Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57

Author Topic: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Game Over! Town, Town-Ally, and Survivor Victory!  (Read 110427 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Day One has begun!
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2014, 10:30:24 pm »

mastahcheese
Caz: If someone on lookout got killed, what would that say about the people that voted to put them on lookout? To get the discussion in a new direction.
I don't think it would say anything particularly damning. Scum want to get scum on the lookout so they're more likely to try and swing a vote for one of their teammates, though this argument can become full of wifom very easily. If they flipped scum, I'd be looking closer at who voted for them, though.

What are your considerations when choosing who to vote for as the lookout?

@People asking about my TolyK read.
No Watch
I don't think we can do this.

Comrade Shamrock
Caz:
Are you town or scum?  ;D

Hint: it's a trick question
Scu-...Town? Damn, almost got me there. Do you think that this question was worth the time it took to type it?

Get an AT gun and blow them all to pieces.
...'Them'? Not a very reassuring post.

(Cackles maniacally some more)

Also hello. I don't know why I need to elaborate on something with no meaning, just doing it for fun. Just imagine someone's face when you turn and laugh at them for no reason whatsoever, weird but funny. Or creepy. Depends on your point of view.
Yeah, definitely not filled with confidence. Can you do some real scumhunting, please? I'd be turning my vote to you if the "Never made it to D2" newb-protection field wasn't still in effect.

TDS
Why doesn't anyone have more questions for me?
Why don't you have questions for anyone else? Are you expecting us to do the work while you sit back and watch? Maybe my RVS vote on you was accurate after all.

Being watchman puts a target on you, but you can also hide to protect yourself. You do have a point about powerful roles, though, so (depending on specifics) I can see how some town players would not want to be the watchman.
This is true. I really hope people have considered this before declaring whether they want to be a lookout or not. Trying to weasel out of it just screams 'kill me!'.

Tiruin
But yeah, hi everyone! I will post tomorrow! Because fatigue x_x
Good game though :D
Come on, you didn't have time for one little question?

For when you get back: What do you think the level of activity in players has to say about their alignment, if anything?

Deathsword
Try to scumhunt more than anyone else. Hopefuly, that would make people think me as very much town and while that might make me a target to scum, laying low would also make me a prime night-kill target, since there'd be nothing indicating it was a scumkill.
Why would laying low make you a night-kill target? Don't scum like players that aren't doing anything?

Vivianus
I'm gonna admit that I would hide if I were lookout so, sorry. No
Anyone who doesn't want to be lookout will be hanged. Why would you hide during lookout?

flabort
My thoughts were it's better for a gun not to exist then it to exist in the hands of your enemy.
Guns will win the war.

(Though I am a big fan of the insanity vig, so take this with a cup of salt.)

Will re-read threads to cobble together some sort of Day1 reads post. Considering going full NQT and opening a spreadsheet. Hmmm.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Everyday Breaches of Military Protocol
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2014, 11:17:30 pm »

My vote for Shamrock is purely RVS.

Why is a random vote more worthy of a vote than TolyK, who you've FoS'd, or Scripten, who is eck, particularly since Scripten came pretty close to answering your question here:

I would hand it over to someone else. My reasons are mostly selfish, I just wanna live. Since scum might attack the lookout and I want to avoid being killed, I don't want the job. I would rather someone more experienced have it and possibly use it rather than me using it and possibly waste it by hiding when scum attack someone else.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2014, 11:31:37 pm »

The problem is that you can't tell the motive.
Scum could easily just have a mafiakill and other ability, and use the lookout to scout everything out.

Actually, the more I think of it, it's much more dangerous to have a scum lookout since they don't need to hide at night.
I got it from this post (and a couple others on the same subject nearby).
I get that he's actually trying to think things through of what would be advantageous to scum, and trying to avoid it.
I dunno. Feels town-ish to me.

Hmm.
No Watch

If it's more likely that a lookout choice is town than scum, why do you want no watch?

My thoughts were it's better for a gun not to exist then it to exist in the hands of your enemy.
I mean, lookout isn't a gun, but it's better to not have one than for the lookout to be scum, which would happen if we voted the wrong person.

So in order to not vote the wrong person and give scum the lookout, No Watch until we're reasonably sure.

Same question as above.

Well, fuck. Pressed the post button by accident. Full post below

Mastahcheese:You neglected to answer this:
Quote from: Deathsword
You seem to have missed that you could say you'd hide and then watch instead, though.
That would be lying. Why would you suggest this? It only encourages WIFOM.
If I asked you the same question, would you lie, and follow your own point?
No I wouldn't. Except your answer involved hypothetical scenarios, some in which you were scum. If you are ok with making hypothetical scenarios where you are scum, why are you uncomfortable to imagine ones where you lie, either as scum to deceive town or as town to preserve yourself? Even if you wouldn't actually do that.

However, I do agree that we should No Watch[/b]

Same question as above.

TDS
Why doesn't anyone have more questions for me?
Why don't you have questions for anyone else? Are you expecting us to do the work while you sit back and watch? Maybe my RVS vote on you was accurate after all.

Being watchman puts a target on you, but you can also hide to protect yourself. You do have a point about powerful roles, though, so (depending on specifics) I can see how some town players would not want to be the watchman.
This is true. I really hope people have considered this before declaring whether they want to be a lookout or not. Trying to weasel out of it just screams 'kill me!'.

I have questions for other people now. I wasn't able to get a good RVS question post, and RVS is nearing it's end if it has not already ended. Why do you find it so important that I ask RVS questions while there are also other people who haven't?

What do you think is the best way to handle deciding who should/shouldn't be voted on for Lookout?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2014, 11:37:07 pm »

I have questions for other people now. I wasn't able to get a good RVS question post, and RVS is nearing it's end if it has not already ended. Why do you find it so important that I ask RVS questions while there are also other people who haven't?

What do you think is the best way to handle deciding who should/shouldn't be voted on for Lookout?

I just thought it was strange that you made a post without asking any questions and trying to participate. I gave the same question to Tiruin, iirc. I'd also like Silithus to make an appearance and do something.

I think the lookout should be whoever seems to be doing the most scumhunting at the moment. Though it's day1 so the accuracy isn't guaranteed, but those are the breaks. Like you said, we're still more likely to pick a town player as the lookout than the scum, simply because of numbers. I agree that having no lookout is a bad idea, even if it wasn't impossible due to the rules of the setup.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2014, 11:42:30 pm »

Well, since it turns out that we can't do that anyways, the question is moot. But! This is a bastard mod where anything can happen; putting someone on lookout could retcon their alignment or something crazy like that.
However, assuming 4mask is telling the truth about how lookout works, there's little reason to trust anyone. Given a purely random pick and a normal number of town and scum, then there's a good chance of hitting town, yes; but considering scum have a way of appearing trust-worthy as often as town are trustworthy, and scum would certainly vote for their own team-mates, there's a higher chance that if we reach an agreement, then we'd probably agree to elect a scum, due to scum's magnetism and coordination.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2014, 12:33:44 am »

Well, since it turns out that we can't do that anyways, the question is moot. But! This is a bastard mod where anything can happen; putting someone on lookout could retcon their alignment or something crazy like that.
However, assuming 4mask is telling the truth about how lookout works, there's little reason to trust anyone. Given a purely random pick and a normal number of town and scum, then there's a good chance of hitting town, yes; but considering scum have a way of appearing trust-worthy as often as town are trustworthy, and scum would certainly vote for their own team-mates, there's a higher chance that if we reach an agreement, then we'd probably agree to elect a scum, due to scum's magnetism and coordination.

What? If this were true, lynching would be useless and town would lose all games.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2014, 12:38:24 am »

If that's what you believe, then surely all you have to do is not believe what the lookout tells you happened the next day if you don't trust them?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2014, 01:00:06 am »

Clarification: I was talking about buddying me, not Caz. I'm not sure where you folks got that, but I only highlighted my own name since I'm selfish that way (:P).
TolyK:

TolyK- Seems particuraly wary of scum tactics. Slight town lean.
What.
How.
You got that in one post?
Mastahcheese seems particularly interested in seeing active and preceptive and all-around scumhunting town.
When really, he's buddying a person who hasn't posted ANYTHING of interest yet other than a thought that isn't even mentioned in his post.
So, can you please pick apart my posts and say where you got that? Not much I'm asking for here.

He wrote down his first impression and you're calling it premature. I don't see how he's scum or why he's buddying you more than anyone else that he thinks is town (upon reading, this is Caz). Why is he buddying and why isn't he "seeing active and preceptive and all-around scumhunting town"?
seeming*

See: below, but tl;dr: I didn't agree with his read on me (it seemed dubious), so I pressured him on it.

TolyK: Your heated counterattack seems borderline OMGUS. Your motives are questionable. Such a heated defense would seem scummy, for a simple D1 read. Are you scum trying to RIA? Explain how mastacheese is buddying with Caz other than RVS vote.
Hold on a sec.
OMGUS for him calling me slightly town?
OMGUS for defending myself... against what?
Are you reading his posts and/or mine? He called me slightly town for a reason that I didn't agree with, so I pressured him about it.
Also, I'm not saying he's buddying with Caz, where'd you get that?
I was saying he's buddying with ME, since he was saying I was town for no apparent reason.

Finally, RE:both, see the disclaimer at the bottom of my previous post post. I deliberately used strong accusatory language to get my point of what was wrong out.

The problem is that you can't tell the motive.
Scum could easily just have a mafiakill and other ability, and use the lookout to scout everything out.

Actually, the more I think of it, it's much more dangerous to have a scum lookout since they don't need to hide at night.
I got it from this post (and a couple others on the same subject nearby).
I get that he's actually trying to think things through of what would be advantageous to scum, and trying to avoid it.
I dunno. Feels town-ish to me.

Hmm.
No Watch
The problem with this reasoning is that I gave a strictly logical answer. Since we don't know who scum is, it wouldn't matter if I said this if I were scum and you didn't know who was. That's what set off my alarm bells.

mastah, do you think there's any point in going after people who have shaky logic? Hint: loaded question.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2014, 09:48:34 am »

TolyK- Seems particuraly wary of scum tactics. Slight town lean.
What.
How.
You got that in one post?
Mastahcheese seems particularly interested in seeing active and preceptive and all-around scumhunting town.
When really, he's buddying a person who hasn't posted ANYTHING of interest yet other than a thought that isn't even mentioned in his post.
So, can you please pick apart my posts and say where you got that? Not much I'm asking for here.

(A bit exaggerated, of course, but that's the butt of my accusation).

Deathsword:1.  This was the post I was referring too. And whoops, I misread the town part to be scum, but now it seems even worse. Attacking someone who says you're town seems scummy to me, like they're trying to appear open and innocent.

2. Yes, I've admitted I'm that I am new, and I even said you can grind on me for that. Sure, I misread the question, but you seemed to be the most offput by my remark against TolyK, why?

Caz:
Please refer me to where we agreed that we would be lynched by hiding during watch. I gathered that the action was somewhat justifiable.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2014, 09:54:33 am »

@everyone If you really must know, eck in that case implied I was slightly put off by the Scripten-Perseus exchange. Not really enough to warrant a vote or further investigation, since they later cleared it up.

TolyK:
Why are you so offended about the possibility of being considered town?
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2014, 09:57:17 am »

Unvote Shamrock

Vote TolyK
- Charles Babbage

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2014, 10:15:10 am »

Vivalas: There's a thing that scum sometimes do called buddying, where they say they agree with and trust, or in general try to be friendly to another player so that that player will trust the scum player and think they're town. It also means that if that scum player dies or is lynched, then people will be more suspicious of the town player the scum player was buddying, and less suspicious of the actual scumteam. This might help you in understanding why TolyK is voting mastahcheese.

Also, I recommend, if you haven't already, reading some previous games on this forum. I can't think of some good recent games for you to check out off the top of my head, but I know someone else will know some good ones.

TolyK: Are you voting mastahcheese solely for having a town read on you, or do you have other reasons for your vote?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »

Deathsword
Try to scumhunt more than anyone else. Hopefuly, that would make people think me as very much town and while that might make me a target to scum, laying low would also make me a prime night-kill target, since there'd be nothing indicating it was a scumkill.
Why would laying low make you a night-kill target? Don't scum like players that aren't doing anything?
Whenever I play scum, I tend to go for low-activity targets as night-kill targets, because, since they acted so little, there is very little interaction with them for anyone to trace it back to me. Killing high-activity players is far riskier, as they are probably attacking you or your scumbuddies, and it looks bad if they die while attacking someone.

If it's more likely that a lookout choice is town than scum, why do you want no watch?
I wanted to know what would happen. I am also blind and didn't see the 4maskwolf's post.

Vivalas: You conveniently didn't answer most of my questions. For your convenience, here they are:

I'm gonna admit that I would hide if I were lookout so, sorry. No

I can't vote either for that matter since I am still trying to figure out who to trust.

Scum aren't gonna want people to see their first action of the game of course.
First you say you won't vote since you are trying to figure out who to trust... how exactly? By doing nothing?
Do you mean the one at the beginning of the game? I think it was rather eck for Scripten to attack Perseus for attacking Mastacheese.
What is even "eck". And why is it... "eck" for Scripten to do that?
Comrade Shamrock

Comrade Shamrock: If you were lookout would you hide?
Why do you do an RVS post clearly past RVS phase? Especially when you have a perfectly good lead with Scripten attacking Persus?

And then there is... this:
@everyone If you really must know, eck in that case implied I was slightly put off by the Scripten-Perseus exchange. Not really enough to warrant a vote or further investigation, since they later cleared it up.

TolyK:
Why are you so offended about the possibility of being considered town?
Followed by a vote. Scum can buddy up to others, as Persus mentioned. If I call you town, then am I completely and utterly cleared in your eyes? Because if not, you are going against your own logic.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18:38 pm »

Scripten:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Persus:

Deus:

mastahcheese:
(Cackles maniacally)

Caz:

Vivalas:

Silthuri and Tiruin

Hello, anyone home?

Please point out if I missed anything.
Unvote

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2014, 12:34:29 am »

Geez, you guys have been busy. I'll be back tomorrow morning with a recap and I'll try to touch on all the questions directed at me. While I get some sleep, though, let us consider the following.

Dayvig: Caz

(Note: Role doesn't indicate that dayvig ends the day, so feel free to discuss. :) )
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57