Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57

Author Topic: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Game Over! Town, Town-Ally, and Survivor Victory!  (Read 110291 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Day One has begun!
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2014, 05:40:55 pm »

I am in no position to play right now (today, that is).
Thus I will stockpile questions to me and answer them, mkay?

TolyK: What do you think about the lookout mechanic in this game?
It's interesting, but if you send out a townie with a helpful night-action you might be wasting the lookout or their helpful ability. It's better to send out someone with either a day action or something useless.

Of course, claiming that on D1 is a bad idea, so currently it's basically a wildcard.

TolyK What do you think of the early game Scripten-Persus interaction? Was Persus right to G-vote himself?
Ask me the first thing later, since I'm not really able to analyze anything in this state, however.
G-voting yourself is a good idea if you don't have any good abilities (see: above).
However, the logic applies both to scum and town.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2014, 05:53:40 pm »

Cheese Let's answer your response-questions in order.
A) I feel the need to say this to confirm whether it's true or not, to validate that that is indeed what you said. I've been playing a lot of Pheonix Wright, too, which might be why I feel like I have to repeat previous statements.
B) Yes, your actions affect how I act in relation to you. If you decide to do something during the day I have the defense's town's right to question it. So, yes, your earlier statement that hiding out at night is useless does affect my actions from that point forward.
C) Then you'll have contradicted your earlier statement here, where you admit that you'll be attacked for hiding in response to Persus13, and imply that hiding is something that would make you look like scum. So if you're lookout and hide, then I think you'll be found guilty by the court tried by the town for lying.

D) 1 and 3. Mostly 1. How is this question different from
Quote from: Deathsword
Mastahcheese: If you got chosen at the lookout, would you rather risk yourself and see actions or hide?

TolyK Thank you for your analysis of the mechanic. I will remind you to answer the first half of my question later.

So you do not think that G-voting yourself is inherently scummy, fair enough, I will make note of that. Why does the logic apply equally to scum? Wouldn't Scum only vote themselves to protect themselves, while Town voting themselves would be revealing to scum that you don't have very much use to the town?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2014, 05:56:32 pm »

The problem is that you can't tell the motive.
Scum could easily just have a mafiakill and other ability, and use the lookout to scout everything out.

Actually, the more I think of it, it's much more dangerous to have a scum lookout since they don't need to hide at night.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2014, 06:01:29 pm »

Actually, the more I think of it, it's much more dangerous to have a scum lookout since they don't need to hide at night.

Assuming we don't have vigs or third-party players. Remember what happened in webadict's last BYOR where the town tried to outguess the mod?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2014, 06:36:50 pm »

Assuming we don't have vigs or third-party players. Remember what happened in webadict's last BYOR where the town tried to outguess the mod?
5 SKs? Yeah.
The Cyan Menace

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »

It'd still be more dangerous to have a scum lookout, surely? A town lookout wouldn't be able to differentiate between a scum kill and a vigilante kill, while a scum lookout would know that they should be trying to kill anyone who takes a night action that isn't on their team.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Bastard Mod (full)
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2014, 07:29:29 pm »

Flabort:
Caz
Why Caz for lookout? He has not posted. Why do you trust him?

Scripten:
Pick a word

Town     Scum

Give a brief explanation of what drew you to it.

Persus:
If you were third party killing what kind would you like to be?

Deus:
Team DEUS ASMOTH!

Nothing more needs to be said.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »

Scripten:
Pick a word

Town     Scum

Give a brief explanation of what drew you to it.

Scum.

Scumhunting draws me closer. Kind of like an ICBM.

You get kudos for originality. You made me chuckle a bit. :P

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2014, 07:40:01 pm »

Scripten:
Give some words that you associate with town?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2014, 07:45:53 pm »

Why did I vote Caz for Lookout? Same reason I voted TolyK in red.
It's a random vote, during RVS.
I trust both of them about the same amount: Not at all.
However, I do trust Caz a little more than I do the otherwise-leading candidate for Lookout, because Scripten and Persus are generating some very large posts of back-and-forth this early during RVS, not that the generation of conversation itself is bad; it's just the way they are going about it seems to be that both are determined to peg the other as being scummy.

Anyways, my point is that it's a random vote, with the side-motivation of not trusting someone else with the responsibility of Lookout.

Scripten:
While it's not directed to me, I don't see the point of this question?
The Cyan Menace

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2014, 08:02:54 pm »

Flabort:
Right then, from what I gather the red vote in the RVS is puts a little pressure on someone especially the guilty if you manage to hit. But what does the green do? It implies trust. Trust to someone who hasn't said a word yet. The green to me is not the same as the red and as such is pointless in the RVS stage as it doesn't scare anyone.

However, I do trust Caz a little more than I do the otherwise-leading candidate for Lookout, because Scripten and Persus are generating some very large posts of back-and-forth this early during RVS, not that the generation of conversation itself is bad; it's just the way they are going about it seems to be that both are determined to peg the other as being scummy.
Interesting. There are 13 players. Minus the 2 you don't want to pick, so that leaves 11. Out of these you have chosen Caz over yourself. You know your alignment but possibly have no clue about Caz. Why not Tiruin or Silthuri? They are just as good a candidate as the one you have suggested. Why is Caz above them?

with the side-motivation of not trusting someone else with the responsibility of Lookout.
But you just voted Caz. Surely you trust yourself more?

Scripten:
The point and purpose is to elicit information. Since you interrupted you can answer too. It'll be easier to show when it's answered.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2014, 08:10:52 pm »

Sorry double post, just thought of this.

Flabort:
Scripten:
The point and purpose is to elicit information. Since you interrupted you can answer too. It'll be easier to show when it's answered.
You object to the question but do not object to this

Deus:
Team DEUS ASMOTH!

It is literally a joke. So why do object to the question?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2014, 08:45:46 pm »

Shamrock: would you want guard duty for yourself, or would you prefer to give it to someone else?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2014, 09:16:36 pm »

Caz Let's say you're a cop, hypothetically. If there was someone who was generally considered to be scum at the end of the first day, but someone else was lynched, would you investigate them or another person?

What's the difference if someone was lynched or not? I'd hope we'd be lynching every day except MYLO. O_o I'd suspect my suspect.

Caz: Long time no see. How many players do you think you know here.

mastahcheese - played a few games together
TheDarkStar - my nemesis. down with TDS! (joking. i've probably played more games with him in than any other player, though)
Scripten - i remember the name, but...
Caz - perpetually mysterious person
Deathsword - played a few games with
Persus13 - persus :D played a few games with
Vivalas - uh... I don't know? <_<
Tiruin - tiruin is awesome, though sometimes her 340589 posts per day can wear me out.
Silthuri - maybe played one game, I don't remember
flabort - i think we've played together before
TolyK - seen him around
Comrade Shamrock - no idea who this is
Deus Asmoth - no idea who this is

I am really terrible at using meta to my advantage, though. It feels too sneaky. Also I can't remember anything that happened in previous games because goldfish memory.

TheDarkStar - Why are you scum AGAIN? Do you think the RNG is unfair to you in how often your role comes up mafia?

Scripten - How do you think that the lookout mechanics of the game will affect it in the best-case scenario? How about the worst?

mastahcheese - How many factions do you think there are in the game? Why?

Deathsword - If you were a SK, what would be your strategy?

Also, Caz for president lookout. 'Cause all of the rest of you are a bit funny-looking.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2014, 09:56:18 pm »

Flabort:
Right then, from what I gather the red vote in the RVS is puts a little pressure on someone especially the guilty if you manage to hit. But what does the green do? It implies trust. Trust to someone who hasn't said a word yet. The green to me is not the same as the red and as such is pointless in the RVS stage as it doesn't scare anyone.
The purpose of a Red RVS Vote is to apply pressure, yes. Make them feel vulnerable, catch them off guard, and get answers out of them.
The purpose of a Green RVS Vote is similar. Make them feel safe, catch them off guard, and get answers out of them.
Also, see my answer to your question why not vote for myself, below.
Interesting. There are 13 players. Minus the 2 you don't want to pick, so that leaves 11. Out of these you have chosen Caz over yourself. You know your alignment but possibly have no clue about Caz. Why not Tiruin or Silthuri? They are just as good a candidate as the one you have suggested. Why is Caz above them?
Are you picking Tiruin and Silthuri for a reason? Yes, they may be 'good candidates' because they're well known members of the community, who stick out for being girls, and for having their fair share of troubles IRL. This does not have any bearing on their alignment, and it does not have any relation to their mafia skill (Which also doesn't have any bearing on their alignment). I have no reason to weight them above anyone else in a purely random pick. I also have no reason to pick Caz above them, either.

I didn't pick myself because I'm not expecting myself to be chosen by anyone else without proving myself to be pick-worthy. Besides, until Persus picked himself (admittedly before I posted) I didn't think it was legal to self-green-vote.

However, once I picked the person I was going to Random-Green-Vote, I picked a question that suited how much I know about them, and suited my vote for them.
with the side-motivation of not trusting someone else with the responsibility of Lookout.
But you just voted Caz. Surely you trust yourself more?
Sure. I can't trust anyone at all if I can't trust myself, right?

But this isn't the Election for the Pirate King, this is picking someone who will be foremost in the minds of the Scum during the night. The person who we pick is not only responsible for making a choice, it also makes them more vulnerable; if they pick not to protect themselves, then there is a high chance the scum are going to try and kill them, and prevent the information they would have gained. Or worse, if the person in question was a doctor or cop who wanted to use their ability, take their power out of the equation.

See, we're not just saying 'who is most town', it's not an entirely good thing that everyone wants; it's also a bright green target painted on your back that night. If it weren't for the option to hide, it would be a guaranteed death sentence, death by night-kill.

Given that responsibility and risk, it's not something I want to inflict upon myself at this juncture.
Scripten:
Words I associate with town: City, Doctor, Cop, Vanilla, died last night, clueless, day, question, mislynch, lynch, Vigilante, random, Lacombe, Morningside, Blackfaulds, Sewage, Sylvan Lake, Village, Hamlet, McDonalds, Medium, Home.
I still don't see the point. It's just a question that creates an answer; the answer is not in any way evidence to anything, except that those words can be associated with that word. And that I play a lot of Mafia. And live in Central Alberta. However, saying a random list of those words will not make you town in any way; I don't see how you can use these words as anything as a prosecutor, nor do I see any way these would be useful to the defense team.
Sorry double post, just thought of this.

Flabort:
Scripten:
You object to the question but do not object to this

Deus:
Team DEUS ASMOTH!

It is literally a joke. So why do object to the question?
I don't see a need to respond to or make note of something that is obviously a joke. Considering it now, it might be a reaction test, but it seems more like a joke. It also serves no purpose, but wasn't worth dignifying.
The question to which I object is more not obviously a joke, but still serves no purpose. It is worth dignifying as I can tell you "you should ask better questions". If I said that to a joke, you'd just defend yourself by saying "It's a joke!", which would be true, and we'd get no-where. You seem to have had some purpose in asking this one, but this one can't yield a useful answer.

Caz Let's say you're a cop, hypothetically. If there was someone who was generally considered to be scum at the end of the first day, but someone else was lynched, would you investigate them or another person?

What's the difference if someone was lynched or not? I'd hope we'd be lynching every day except MYLO. O_o I'd suspect my suspect.
The difference is that if they were lynched, you'd be unable to inspect them.
If the TOWN suspected someone who is alive at night, would you investigate them or would you pick your own suspect?
I can't make that more clear.

Scripten - How do you think that the lookout mechanics of the game will affect it in the best-case scenario? How about the worst?

mastahcheese - How many factions do you think there are in the game? Why?
Objection! Your Honor, these questions are speculative at best, and have no bearing on the current case. We are here to find the spies, not to outguess the mod.

And if you pull a Shamrock and ask me to answer them myself for interrupting, here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57