Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57

Author Topic: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Game Over! Town, Town-Ally, and Survivor Victory!  (Read 110312 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Day One has begun!
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2014, 07:37:03 am »

Just a heads-up: I'm pretty sure there are third parties in this game, most likely more than one.
I have no concrete evidence (as usual...).
Dun duuunnnn o__o TolyK speaks!

But yeah, hi everyone! I will post tomorrow! Because fatigue x_x
Good game though :D

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2014, 07:48:52 am »

Replies in bold:

Yes, who wouldn't want to be watchman (unless they have some strange wincon/role thing)?

Town: Info about nightkills, possibly something to do if you have a useless role.

Also more likely to get attacked by the mafia, and if you have a powerful role, you have to choose whether to use it or waste the Lookout role that night.

Scum: Finding town power roles.

Also can fake results with next to no risk. Even if results are untrue, this is a bastard mod game and thus scum are just little balls of WIFOM waiting to explode.

Third party: Seeing what happens and siding with town or scum based on that.

And welcome to the game, Tiruin!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Bastard Mod (full)
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2014, 12:04:25 pm »

@Deathsword: I won't answer your question. And here's why.
Theory 1) I'm town. I say I'll watch, scum know to kill me. Scum gain from knowledge.
Theory 2) I'm town. I say I'll hide, scum know I'm a waste of time, and can use my desire to preserve myself to attack me. Scum gain from knowledge.
Theory 3) I'm scum. I say I'll watch. Now I can accuse people of doing shit when then didn't. Sure I'll get caught later, but I'll take someone down with me. Scum gain from knowledge.
Theory 4) I'm scum. I say I'll hide, and town can now attack me, and me and my scumbuddies can cause WIFOM. Scum gain from chaos.

Is there any situation in which town could gain from answering your question?
Town gains by getting information as well. If you say you'll hide, people will know it is somewhat pointless to elect you as the lookout and choose someone else instead. Furthermore, in a way, you answered my question by placing those four scenarios.

You seem to have missed that you could say you'd hide and then watch instead, though.

Deathsword - If you were a SK, what would be your strategy?
Try to scumhunt more than anyone else. Hopefuly, that would make people think me as very much town and while that might make me a target to scum, laying low would also make me a prime night-kill target, since there'd be nothing indicating it was a scumkill.

Deathsword Please explain to the court your opinion of the Random Voting Stage and it's application to the lookout mechanic. ((What do you think of using both red and green votes for random votes?))
RVS gets the game going and occasionally produces slips by scum, although that is neither it's point (which is, as stated, to get the game going) nor guaranteed. Random red votes are in this as in any other game, really. However, I don't agree too much on randomly placing green votes. Is your green vote on me random?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2014, 01:27:52 pm »

Quote from: Deathsword
You seem to have missed that you could say you'd hide and then watch instead, though.
That would be lying. Why would you suggest this? It only encourages WIFOM.
If I asked you the same question, would you lie, and follow your own point?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

Alright, Everyone: Could we see some reads?
Yeah it's only day 1, get over it.

Mine:

TheDarkStar- You don't really stick out much in my mind, because you haven't been in a larger debate yet. Meh.
Scripten- Jumpin' on Persus for his questions and scumhunting. Acts kinda erratically at the begining. Hmm.
Caz- Trying to figure the basterdly parts of the game out. Maybe third party, maybe town lean.
Deathsword- I don't like the way you just think that lying would be fine (or at least think that it's ok to give that as an answer) Slight scum lean.
Persus13- Got on Scripten saying he was interferring with scumhunting. Questions my answers to things before deathsword can review them, though. Kinda hypocritical. Not sure. Maybe slight scum lean.
Vivalas- Who is this?
Tiruin- Been too busy to play. Null for now.
Silthuri- Are they playing?
flabort- The way he claims to know how I'd act disturbs me. I get a wierd vibe from him. Slight scum lean?
TolyK- Seems particuraly wary of scum tactics. Slight town lean.
Comrade Shamrock- Troll. Acts somewhat erratically. Lean insane.
Deus Asmoth- Very reactive, but that may be due to being busy. Null for now.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Bastard Mod (full)
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »

Let's be honest...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've read the guides, read through some games, and I'm the type that likes to read wikis completely before actually playing the game. I learn pretty quickly, but if ya wanna yell at me for beaking the "circle of mafia" then, I would understand. Other than that, I understand the game, although I didn't expect it to be this ruthless... Gah. Its a game of psychology pretty much, so I should be good at it :P

For any other questions, please refer to my avatar.

Vivalas: I don't think I've seen you around before. What is your Mafia experience, if any?

I have answered that with the above instructional picture.

Vivalas: How do you feel about being caught scum this round?

I would feel a sense of misjustice and irony since, I'm not scum, and I'm the only one that knows it.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2014, 02:19:30 pm »

TolyK- Seems particuraly wary of scum tactics. Slight town lean.
What.
How.
You got that in one post?
Mastahcheese seems particularly interested in seeing active and preceptive and all-around scumhunting town.
When really, he's buddying a person who hasn't posted ANYTHING of interest yet other than a thought that isn't even mentioned in his post.
So, can you please pick apart my posts and say where you got that? Not much I'm asking for here.

(A bit exaggerated, of course, but that's the butt of my accusation).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2014, 02:28:48 pm »

Quote from: Deathsword
That would be lying. Why would you suggest this? It only encourages WIFOM.
If I asked you the same question, would you lie, and follow your own point?
No I wouldn't. Except your answer involved hypothetical scenarios, some in which you were scum. If you are ok with making hypothetical scenarios where you are scum, why are you uncomfortable to imagine ones where you lie, either as scum to deceive town or as town to preserve yourself? Even if you wouldn't actually do that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »

Mastahcheese: Does not think hiding is very useful compared to other options. Revises opinion once asked about it, here. Neutral.
TheDarkStar: First interaction is with Persus. I get the idea he's busy. Null read.
Scripten: He was quick to attack Persus, started a bit of a WoT conversation. Not a weekend person, either. Neutral read.
Caz: One of two self-nominators for Lookout. First avoids or misinterprets my question, and asks pointless questions with no bearing on the situation. Eventually corrects this, but very mild scum read.
Deathsword: Only a couple posts. One to ask a couple questions, one to answer a couple. Since it's still day 1, this inactivity is comparatively forgivable. Neutral read.
Persus13: One of two self-nominators for Lookout. Had larger conversations with Scripten and Mastahcheese. Slight scum lean for small overeaction to Scripten, and not reacting to me doing the same thing to Shamrock or Caz. Although he's not a weekend person.
Vivalas: Not posted.
Tiruin: Has posted, but not much.
Silthuri: Not posted.
TolyK: Three posts; first two are answering questions, third is saying there are third parties but no evidence. Lean third party?
Comrade Shamrock: Well, he's a joker. Maybe a jester? No... However, his question to Caz is objectionable, and I have yet to see the purpose of asking Scripten that other question. Also doesn't want lookout, like me. Neutral read, lean third party.
Deus Asmoth: A few posts, but all are small. At least he's serious and has his head in the game, unlike Comrade and Caz respectively. Mild town lean.

I think it's interesting, peoples reactions to being nominated for lookout. Myself, Comrade, and Deathsword have all stated that we would prefer not to be lookout.
Meanwhile, TheDarkStar has stated "who wouldn't want to be?", Persus and Caz both want it for themselves.

Hmmm...
Mastahcheese, Scripten, Vivalas, Tiruin, Silthuri, TolyK, Dues Asmoth Would you like to be Lookout, or would you not want it?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2014, 02:40:40 pm »

EBWOP: Vivilas has now posted, but still a null read
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2014, 02:45:31 pm »

I really don't care, but it would probably be better for someone else to be lookout (albeit town).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2014, 03:05:45 pm »

Sorry for my absence guys, I'm helping my family prepare to move while I'm in town for my break, and I stopped getting email alerts about people posting for some reason. Hopefully I'll be more active after I head back to school on the 2nd. Anyway, wall of text incoming.

I've only responded to stuff through page 6 and I've only read through page 7, so if stuff I've said here is no longer relevant or redundant or otherwise affected by that, let me know.

Scripten:
Persus13

Persus: Do you think that scum might want to get lookout duty in an attempt to find any town power roles in the game?
Of course they would. But it is something that, if successful, would cause them to get increased scrutiny from the town, which is pretty much always a good thing.

Do you also believe that it follows that increased scrutiny on town players is a good thing?
Unless it results in decreased attention to scum players, yes. Knowing who is town is almost as important as knowing who is scum, and figuring out if someone is town is something that helps me out when I'm scumhunting. if town players are doing town vs. town and the scum is sitting back and watching, then there's a problem. And since you don't know who is town or scum at the start, everyone should be given scrutiny.

Of course your comment changes his answer. Do you expect him to read my post and then not allow your comment to affect his perception of it? Not going after someone for questions that haven't been answered tends to be a standard part of Mafia etiquette. As for what my expected response was, of course I expected a few different responses from Mastahcheese, either angry, or a simple explanation. If he had said something unexpected, or otherwise made some sort of slipup, then I would have something to pursue. Your comment makes it harder for him to do an unexpected outcome.

You're acting as if I've answered the question for him. I specifically did not. I called out the question and pointed out the potential scum-sided motivation in it. Ergo scumhunting.

Had I said something along the lines of "Mastahcheese meant [so-and-so] by what he said", that would have been interfering. As it is, I don't believe my comments stepped over that line. That said, I don't think that this discussion is furthering the game state. I'll keep off the subject from here on out, with my apologies extended.
While you didn't answer, it's like saying "#48 is a trick question" on a test. Nevertheless I gratefully accept the apology and agree to drop the matter, perhaps resuming it in a discussion of what Mafia etiquette should or is after the game. I hope I wasn't overly angry with you.

The difference of viewpoint had more to do with the second set of questions, which were the ones I regarded as more important.

Very well. Can you explain these differences?
Mastahcheese's post implied to me that the hide action was an action that implied the person who did it was scum. To me the hide action seemed something that could be potentially useful to town players (cop claims with a scum ID, scum is lynched, cop is appointed lookout with a chance to hide), and the pure mechanics of it seem to help resolve the issue of scum simply killing every appointed lookout.

No, I do not feel "Do you have any doubts as to your alignment?" is accusatory, because this is a bastard mod. It seems perfectly possible that someone might not know their wincon. It's a long shot, but still possible. If this wasn't true or mastahcheese didn't want people to know that, he could have just clarified.

That seems like quite the long shot, indeed. Your explanation here feels like backpedaling. Do you find that scum are more or less willing to concede points?
Generally I find scum less wiling to concede points, but it's not something exclusive to scum unfortunately. It also is a playstyle/character trait, and in my opinion it is a somewhat annoying one. I didn't feel it was too much of a longshot because 4maskwolf had been a role where he didn't know his wincon recently, and "Nazi science" is a popular trope. Although, I mainly expected an answer saying "No, I know my role." and that question was one I didn't consider as important as the questions about the lookout mechanic to cheese.

So basically you're saying you think I'm scum for voting myself as lookout. Who would you want to be lookout right now?

It's a possibility. At the moment, I'm not 100% sure of anyone's alignment, but I'd certainly like to learn more about yours.
Who would you want to be lookout right now? What are your feelings about the lookout mechanic and who should become lookout.

Mastahcheese:
Persus
Thanks for the responses. If a lookout stated that they hid the previous night, would you view that action as scummy?
Depends on the circumstances.
If nobody found them particuraly suspicious, and they're town, then scum can easily kill them without leading a trail back to them. So hiding may be good.
A very strong town player could probably be expected to hide in order to save themselves, but imagine if they were actually scum playing really well, and claimed to watch something.
Really, the way it works means that each individual occasion has to be viewed on a basis of as it comes. There's too many nuances involved to make it a flat yes or no.
Thanks for the response.

I agree that hiding is a weaker action than the lookout action, but the fact that it has a guaranteed effect and could be used to keep a townsperson alive means it might be more powerful than your hypothetical scenarios suggested.
It does lend to that, and I just realized I sited a couple of those situations while answering an above question.
Again, the nuances involved with the lookout mechanic are ehhhhh.
Basing a case solely on the lookout being a lookout is dumb.
Good, then for the most part we're agreed.

Deus Asmoth:
Actually, the more I think of it, it's much more dangerous to have a scum lookout since they don't need to hide at night.

Assuming we don't have vigs or third-party players. Remember what happened in webadict's last BYOR where the town tried to outguess the mod?
It'd still be more dangerous to have a scum lookout, surely? A town lookout wouldn't be able to differentiate between a scum kill and a vigilante kill, while a scum lookout would know that they should be trying to kill anyone who takes a night action that isn't on their team.
This is a good point. What have you contributed aside from this post? Who is your top suspect currently?

Comrade Shamrock:
Scripten:
Pick a word

Town     Scum

Give a brief explanation of what drew you to it.

Persus:
If you were third party killing what kind would you like to be?
Congrats, you're now the Mafia Psychologist for that question to Scripten.

I would like to be the kind that kills everyone N1. Because I hate third party killing roles because they're messy. With scum, you've at least got a friend to run circles around the town and laugh about how clueless the town is. I've played one game as SK and I essentially played as if I was a town vig and killed my scum suspects and got caught out by one of the scum faking a claim that he saw me kill someone leading me to admit I was an SK (well, sort of). I then won the game for town by killing my scum suspect.

However, I do trust Caz a little more than I do the otherwise-leading candidate for Lookout, because Scripten and Persus are generating some very large posts of back-and-forth this early during RVS, not that the generation of conversation itself is bad; it's just the way they are going about it seems to be that both are determined to peg the other as being scummy.
Interesting. There are 13 players. Minus the 2 you don't want to pick, so that leaves 11. Out of these you have chosen Caz over yourself. You know your alignment but possibly have no clue about Caz. Why not Tiruin or Silthuri? They are just as good a candidate as the one you have suggested. Why is Caz above them?
Why did you suggest Tiruin and Silthuri, especially considering neither one had posted at the time you asked this?

Flabort:
Why did I vote Caz for Lookout? Same reason I voted TolyK in red.
It's a random vote, during RVS.
I trust both of them about the same amount: Not at all.
However, I do trust Caz a little more than I do the otherwise-leading candidate for Lookout, because Scripten and Persus are generating some very large posts of back-and-forth this early during RVS, not that the generation of conversation itself is bad; it's just the way they are going about it seems to be that both are determined to peg the other as being scummy.

Anyways, my point is that it's a random vote, with the side-motivation of not trusting someone else with the responsibility of Lookout.
I'd like to point out that I have not voted Scripten, and while his initial attack on me I found slightly scummy, I have yet to see him as scum, and he seemed to have some good points in game so far.

I, like several others, also take issue with your lookout vote, because I don't see how voting someone who hasn't even posted yet with a green vote does anything (although I do find random voting in general pointless)

Scripten - How do you think that the lookout mechanics of the game will affect it in the best-case scenario? How about the worst?

mastahcheese - How many factions do you think there are in the game? Why?
Objection! Your Honor, these questions are speculative at best, and have no bearing on the current case. We are here to find the spies, not to outguess the mod.
Why do you take objection to this and not my questions in the very first post of the game that were fairly similar to these questions but less specific overall?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »

I'm gonna admit that I would hide if I were lookout so, sorry. No

I can't vote either for that matter since I am still trying to figure out who to trust.

Scum aren't gonna want people to see their first action of the game of course.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2014, 03:48:09 pm »

Vivalas, what do you think of the interaction between Scripten and Perseus earlier?

Mastahcheese, what would be wrong with Deathsword saying he'd hide on guard duty and watching instead? The only people who'd lose in that situation would be scum.

Where's your town read on TolyK coming from? He hasn't posted much at all.

Shamrock, are you waiting until day two to start making serious posts?

Reads:
Vivalas, Silthuri, Tiruin: ???
Shamrock: Certainly has unusual methods of questioning. His posts seem to lack any actual content, making me think they're there just to avoid accusations of lurking and the weirdness of his questions look like RiA. Leaning to scum. Sorry, Comrade.
Scripten: Asking a lot of questions. Leaning towards town.
TDS: Wants more people to ask him questions, but has only asked one himself (plus one rhetorical). Small red flag on that.
Mastahcheese: Has a town read on TolyK in spite of a very small number of posts. Could be trying to get into TolyK's good books early on to avoid suspicion earlier. Scum lean.
TolyK: Not sure about him yet, I haven't seen much of him.
Perseus: Self-nominating for lookout duty makes me suspicious, since it makes me think he's confident that he wouldn't get targeted by the scum at night. Slight scum lean over that.
Caz: Same as Perseus for the self nomination.
Deathsword: Not really enough to make a read off yet.
flabort: Voted for an inactive player for lookout, could be trying to go through the night without getting his actions spotted? On the other hand, he's been active and questioning people, so I've got a slight town lean.

{Seven new replies later}

Flabort: I wouldn't particularly want the job myself, but I'd do it if people voted me into it.

Perseus: I have to admit that I haven't contributed all that much yet. The Comrade is my top suspect because of the weirdness of his posts and Mastahcheese comes second due to his read on TolyK.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »

Do you mean the one at the beginning of the game? I think it was rather eck for Scripten to attack Perseus for attacking Mastacheese.
- Charles Babbage

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 57