Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57

Author Topic: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Game Over! Town, Town-Ally, and Survivor Victory!  (Read 110390 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Day One has begun!
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2014, 01:50:31 am »

I was talking about the lookout revealing third parties and about setup speccing revealing town PRs. You're conflating the two.

How does setup speccing reveal town PRs, though?

Firstly, I'm not against asking questions. I am just trying to move the discussion away from setup speculation. Alright, so say we're playing the Matrix 6 setup, right? Say you're a tracker and people are trying to break the setup and speculate on what a jailkeeper would do to negate a scum roleblocker's action. If you don't say anything, you might be alright, but you know, the entire time, that this is an impossible situation. Every post you make is motivated by that knowledge and good scum (who also know there is no roleblocker) can pick you out and kill you. Hence, town gains nothing because they can't tell the difference between your knowledge of the lack of a roleblocker and that of actual scum, so it's entirely town-centric confusion alongside additional scum information.

Does that help any?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2014, 02:05:22 am »

Fine, the prosecution admits to exageration. However, it still can be compared to rolefishing in that you are looking for information that is known to only a few players, that the scum would like to use and get their hands on.
What if Scripten had some private information about the Lookout, like a lookout-based-auto, such as not being able to hide, that the scum could abuse if they knew about it, such as voting him to be lookout so that the lookout is wasted when he's killed?
What if Mastahcheese was a third party like survivor, and the scum blackmailed him into cooperating with them? If he were, he could win with town, but being forced with the threat of death and loss to cooperate with scum would make things harder on the town.

I was never asking about roles though, just factions. Also how would scum be able to blackmail a survivor without it being incredibly obvious in chat? As far as Bay12 mafia games go, PMs are generally not allowed.

The first section, "If there was someone who was generally considered to be scum", doesn't that imply that more than one person suspects them? AKA the town suspect? And when I said "or another person", I meant your own suspect, not a random one.
It was meant to be "would you choose town's suspect or your own" from the start.

Ah, I misunderstood it then. Town suspect vs my suspect. I'm not sure. It would depend on how strongly I thought them to be scum, and how strong the town's case was.

His computer is broken, again. He may not be able to view the forums as regularly, which means that he will miss much of the trial and not be able to review the court record, meaning he will not know about all of the evidence. I'm asking him if he's able to make up for that.

Oh, the whole thing is broken. What do you think this says about mastahcheese, if anything? I don't think we can decide if someone's scum or not by their play while something like that is going on. They're obviously going to have less activity, but it wouldn't be necessarily a scumtell. Though it does suck when people have to lurk for an extended period of time and gives them a chance to sink under the radar.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2014, 02:13:54 am »

unless they have a victory condition that needs them to never do guard duty.

Ooh, interesting. Do you have that wincon?
No, but I imagine it'd be annoying to try fulfil.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2014, 08:34:21 am »

Quote from: Caz
mastahcheese - How many factions do you think there are in the game? Why?
Um. Good question. I've really only been thinking in terms of two factions, but there probably is more. I dunno.

Quote from: flabort
Mastahcheese The court would like to know if your dead hard drive will have any affect on your ability to hunt scum.
I've been playing on my iPod this whole time. The fact that my computer is toast doesn't really change that a whole lot. Should it?

Ugh, so much stuff on third parties and the lookout role.

Flabort: Question. If you were scum and suspected me of being a survivor, how would you go about blackmailing me?

Caz: If someone on lookout got killed, what would that say about the people that voted to put them on lookout? To get the discussion in a new direction.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2014, 12:23:12 pm »

Caz Thank you for the answer - I guess it's not a cut and clear case, so I guess the answer isn't cut and clear either, but it's enough for be to unvote.

Mastahcheese Once I knew you were a survivor, if I were scum I would question you often on your mortality; "how would you react if you died tonight", "How would you react if you were the runner up for the lynch", etc. I would make it clear through my questions that I knew you don't want to die, first. Then, I would start questioning you about your suspects... as in, "How much do you suspect <town member 1>", "Can you give me your read on <Town member 2>", etc. pointing you at specific targets. I would keep reminding you of your mortality, maybe even claim Vig and mention you in that post where I did later, and keep using my questions to push you towards town members. Or third parties.
Basically make it clear to you I knew, then give you my target, while disguising it all as ordinary questioning and communication.

I guess if you're still using your iPod, it shouldn't make much of a difference. I just thought, since it was working up until the hard-drive died, you'd be using it and posting more often; if you were only playing on your iPod, no difference.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2014, 03:34:49 pm »

Deus:
I would hand it over to someone else. My reasons are mostly selfish, I just wanna live. Since scum might attack the lookout and I want to avoid being killed, I don't want the job. I would rather someone more experienced have it and possibly use it rather than me using it and possibly waste it by hiding when scum attack someone else.

Flabort and Scripten:
Why so few word associations Scripten?

How did you select Caz, Flabort?

Reason for Tiruin and Silthuri: I have either seen them mod or IC which suggests they are experienced. Persus was another IC you didn't want him though. TDS a mod but I don't know payback? He didn't like my joke case.  >:(

As to what my question was meant to do. It was to help get a hold on your perceptions. Your view on a word changes depending on where you stand in an argument. Scum would consider town targets and their view would change accordingly. They mightn't say it because it could be perceived as scummy to say such a thing, but you never know what you'll draw out. What you've said is being examined.

mastahcheese:
(Cackles maniacally)  ;D

Caz:
Are you town or scum?  ;D

Hint: it's a trick question

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2014, 05:16:11 pm »

My reasons are mostly selfish, I just wanna live.

Hm.

What's the wincon stated in your role PM, Comrade?

Because I'm scum and can't think of words to go with town. Congratulation, you are winnar and have caught me.[/sarcasm] ;)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2014, 06:11:14 pm »

Quote from: Comrade Shamrock
(Cackles maniacally)  ;D
>:I
Care to elaborate?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2014, 07:40:16 pm »

Scripten:

Hm.

Get an AT gun and blow them all to pieces. Not the exact phrasing but I'm sure you can work it out from there. If you're curious as to why I want to live. I want to get to D2, never been in D2 so I hope it's fun.

Congratulations, you are winnar winner and have caught me.[/sarcasm] ;)
Well now you just deserve to be voted due to those atrocious errors. Are you going to take any question I ask seriously Scripten? So far it seems to be just humour.

mastahcheese:
Quote from: Comrade Shamrock
(Cackles maniacally)  ;D
>:I
Care to elaborate?
(Cackles maniacally some more)

Also hello. I don't know why I need to elaborate on something with no meaning, just doing it for fun. Just imagine someone's face when you turn and laugh at them for no reason whatsoever, weird but funny. Or creepy. Depends on your point of view.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Overlord, Day Five: Bastard Mod (full)
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2014, 07:54:29 pm »

TheDarkStar - my nemesis. down with TDS! (joking. i've probably played more games with him in than any other player, though)

TheDarkStar - Why are you scum AGAIN? Do you think the RNG is unfair to you in how often your role comes up mafia?

1. Nooo, down with Caz!

2. I wish this was true. It's generally more interesting to be scum than town, but I haven't been scum much recently (once in the last dozen games?). So yes, the RNG is being unfair  :P.

Why doesn't anyone have more questions for me?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2014, 08:01:13 pm »

Hm.

What's the reasoning behind this question? Why would it work any better than just asking him if he's scum or not?

Comrade, which of your questions should Scripten be taking more seriously? The tone of your posts has been pretty light hearted so far.

TDS, would you like to be the night watchman? Why?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2014, 08:23:54 pm »

How did you select Caz, Flabort?
I answered this earlier. I first picked Caz because it was completely random, up to the dice.
Why I moved from green vote to red vote? He wasn't answering my question, but now he has.

Reason for Tiruin and Silthuri: I have either seen them mod or IC which suggests they are experienced. Persus was another IC you didn't want him though. TDS a mod but I don't know payback? He didn't like my joke case.  >:(
Ah, so meta reasons, which are exactly what I was avoiding. Experience does not mean that they are any more or less of a good candidate to ask a question.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2014, 08:59:29 pm »

TDS, would you like to be the night watchman? Why?

Yes, who wouldn't want to be watchman (unless they have some strange wincon/role thing)?

Town: Info about nightkills, possibly something to do if you have a useless role.

Scum: Finding town power roles.

Third party: Seeing what happens and siding with town or scum based on that.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2014, 09:01:37 pm »

Comrade Shamrock

Get an AT gun and blow them all to pieces. Not the exact phrasing but I'm sure you can work it out from there. If you're curious as to why I want to live. I want to get to D2, never been in D2 so I hope it's fun.

It's fun enough. Are you town, Comrade, or are you a third party?

Well now you just deserve to be voted due to those atrocious errors. Are you going to take any question I ask seriously Scripten? So far it seems to be just humour.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deus Asmoth

What's the reasoning behind this question? Why would it work any better than just asking him if he's scum or not?

It's possible/likely that we have more than just town and scum in this game. Some third parties have unique wincons.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2014, 07:14:07 am »

Just a heads-up: I'm pretty sure there are third parties in this game, most likely more than one.
I have no concrete evidence (as usual...).
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57