Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164202 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2015, 02:47:18 am »

That's constructive criticism you have there, it is only welcomed. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...Clark's actually inside the thing?  I assumed there was quantum entanglement involved.  In any case, it's probably either not nearly protective enough, or it's far too expensive to be practical.
Wait wait it's not a part of those shared hallucinations/weird shit? The mechanic squid suit is a real thing?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:00 am »

It seems the head of each department on the HMRC is a little ... unusual.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2015, 09:52:25 am »

Primarily, right now I'm just rushing to get something out, because the missions are gonna be over soon.  This is why I crammed the sharksuit design in there too.

I'm gonna try sometime and see if we cannot make a different arrangement with pw for when shipments arrive. This system seems to lead to things getting rushed, and if you miss the deadline it's a rather long wait.

If you mean stuff like the improved generator/fuel/whatever tech, I've always assumed that stuff is just integrated into our equipment automatically.  I mean, if it's just a straight upgrade, why would we build anything that doesn't use it?

It might still be a good idea to specifically mention when we're using things like new exo/endoskeletons, to ensure we get whatever bonus those should give.

Quick suggestion for the beetle-suits, could you add in a pressurised water sprayer on one of the fingers in case the cams get obscured in some way?

As I mentioned once, sheets of clear plastic over the cameras that can be easily ripped off could protect against paint and such cheaply.

Gonna try to write my view on the battlesuit thing when I have some more time.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 01, 2015, 05:52:00 pm »

@Nik

@Paris in main Hephaestus thread

Well... I can promise you we would definitely get around to it at some point, and it's very likely that we'd assign a science crew to it (especially if you reminded us!).  I'd like to promise more, but to be perfectly honest, I've been coming up with ideas faster than I've been going through them for basically the entire time I've been on Hephaestus.  There's still some incomplete projects that I've wanted to work on since before I joined the game itself.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2015, 06:10:24 pm »

Yep, it's capable, although only with a "really good, lucky shot"[1].  Since we use a six sided die, that's proabably a lot more common than it sounds.  Not to mention, it's semiauto, and three "basically okay, standard shots" would kill a battlesuit too.

Note from the same post that a HGC only damages or smashes a single layer of armor.  There's AP rounds available, but they're even more expensive, and are probably still incapable on one-hitting a BS.
And then there's the "overheating box of energy murder" (I like that description way too much :P) that can potentially become an anti-battlesuit weapon for heavy infantry. Probably still not good competition to a PSL in overall effectiveness, but edges onto its turf by sheer power and lack of an ammo requirement.

Tangentially to the discussion on battlesuits, I was thinking about the MkIII-A suit. Anton will be making a prototype to send out for testing, but I'm not sure if he should use the new armor composites on that. (it would be sharkplate most likely, since it's the lightest)

Also, does anyone remember if regular synthoid muscles can be "overcharged" by applying more electrical power? Compared to the MkIII, the MkIII-A loses not only some of its speed and its ability to fly in airless environments, but also the EMM system. Since the MkIII-A carries a larger generator to power the fans, would something like a M.A.S.C. system be a possible addition? It'd add strength and dex bonuses, at the cost of being unable to fly at the same time, and the threat of breaking the suit's power assist entirely on a roll of 6+. Probably not a full +1 roll bonus, but a +5 stat bonus maybe, i.e. a +1/3 roll bonus?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #380 on: February 01, 2015, 06:13:33 pm »

Hexsand is basically immune to pure energy, (including plasma!) but can't withstand a single round from a gauss rifle.
Actually, it's ultra effective against kinetic projectiles, but breaks more easily than battlesuit plate, meaning it's only going to be effective once. Now that I think about it, you could use plates of it to form some sort of Whipple shield for spaceships. Just got to compare its strength and cost effectiveness to hexbug, to see if there's any advantage to using one over the other. Or you could just use both.

Huh.  I always thought VR helmets never breached your skin, instead just using those sticky EM sensors.  I think people remove them too quickly and easily for there to be brain insertions.  Where did you read that any exist?
Jim connected himself to the VR so that he actually felt things via direct brain stimulation, but he was already a robot at that point. The VR essentially acted as a set of sensors for his robotic body and its already existing BMI, and could send signals for things like taste and feeling. After all, there are civilian robobodies that have the same capabilities as a normal human, including pain and taste. I'm not so sure if Feyri used it too though. So a BMI that doesn't require the user to lack a human body might not exist.

EDIT: But you could probably create one with some invasive surgery. Elysium style.

You think, but neither of us knows.  I've always thought Miyamoto had roughly equivalent control over his body as a standard synthperson; he's just able to leave the avatar and be a mostly normal human again, if he wants.  That seem like it might be important to "Generals and war heroes", not to mention the morale of it, which would justify the relatively minor inefficiency of not using a braincase system.
You've got to remember that the Avatar is living. It has an intelligence, it's just unable to influence Miyamoto greatly because the connection is mostly one way and monitored. If the Avatar's interface was damaged or if Miyamoto lowered its protection level, the avatar could overwhelm him if he ends up being weak willed. So Miyamoto is not only controlling the Avatar's body. He is exerting his will on it, forcing it to do what he wants. He is connected to it. So part of the Avatar's actions are actually the Avatar itself acting. That's why it might seem that they are more connected. Because the way they are connected is much different than the standard robobody.

Well... I can promise you we would definitely get around to it at some point, and it's very likely that we'd assign a science crew to it (especially if you reminded us!).  I'd like to promise more, but to be perfectly honest, I've been coming up with ideas faster than I've been going through them for basically the entire time I've been on Hephaestus.  There's still some incomplete projects that I've wanted to work on since before I joined the game itself.
Problem is I'm pretty sure science crews can't study Nyars artefacts.
But sure, I'll send it over and try my best to ensure it is researched. After all, if the current mission is any indication, next mission should last a while, so time will be available.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:15:46 pm by Parisbre56 »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 01, 2015, 06:41:44 pm »

@Sean

I was figuring that I'd design a Milnoplate-style armor after I'm done with with the beetlesuit and sharksuit.  Probably call it a badgersuit, to fit with the theme.

Mostly, it's just gonna be a direct rip from Milno's design, with hexsand and sharkplate over the areas that can't be armored with BS plate.  Hexbug is too heavy to be used, and IIRC a full suit of milnoplate's too heavy as well.  Hexsand, though, should be much lighter if it only needs to protect against lasers as well as BSP.

@Paris

You've got to remember that the Avatar is living. It has an intelligence, it's just unable to influence Miyamoto greatly because the connection is mostly one way and monitored. If the Avatar's interface was damaged or if Miyamoto lowered its protection level, the avatar could overwhelm him if he ends up being weak willed. So Miyamoto is not only controlling the Avatar's body. He is exerting his will on it, forcing it to do what he wants. He is connected to it. So part of the Avatar's actions are actually the Avatar itself acting. That's why it might seem that they are more connected. Because the way they are connected is much different than the standard robobody.

Why do you say that?  It's certainly a much more advanced and complicated setup, but he can't be directly connected to the avatar.  Humanflesh rejects Synthflesh, so there needs to be a technological intermediate between him and the Avatar.  Plus, the connections that come from his leg stubs are still coming from his brain- they just take a bit longer to get there (which explains why Avatars don't get neurophotonic spinal column rerolls).

Problem is I'm pretty sure science crews can't study Nyars artefacts.

That's... an issue.  Hmm.  Well, don't send it over if you can't come up with experiments to use on it- I might be able to come up with them, but an awful lot of artifacts are put off simply because I don't know what to do with them.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #382 on: February 01, 2015, 07:35:50 pm »

@Artifact: Don't worry, I think I know what to do.

Anyway, we'll see how how it goes. There's no reason to worry about me. The suit and gun may be the only thing I've bought with tokens that is still in my possession beside my trusty monorazor and MK2, but my character has much more than that. He's a jack of all trades with crazy ideas and the determination to go through with them. He'll be fine. Plus, I'll soon have 15 tokens to spend, assuming Beirus doesn't die. If I wanted (I don't) I could just sell Gilgamesh for 20+ tokens and buy an AoW with tokens to spare. Which brings us to...

@AoW: I dunno. Space magic. I imagine being connected with a living, thinking body with an alien intelligence inhabiting it would be different than being connected with a normal robobody. Then again, synthbodies are made of the same material, so their connection might be the same, or at least close enough.

And sure, avatars don't get the reroll upgrade, but they get a frigging +1 to every roll due to the avatar's intelligence helping them. That's way better, like an onboard homicidal AI helping them do everything in the most extreme way possible. Although with the new system the reroll will probably become much more important than it currently is.

I wonder if piecewise will have weapon stats matter somehow, maybe act as an increase in skill level if used in the right range.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:39:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 02, 2015, 03:05:44 am »

I imagine being connected with a living, thinking body with an alien intelligence inhabiting it would be different than being connected with a normal robobody. ... And sure, avatars don't get the reroll upgrade, but they get a frigging +1 to every roll due to the avatar's intelligence helping them. That's way better, like an onboard homicidal AI helping them do everything in the most extreme way possible.
This. Also, one of the reasons I considered adding a more common wetware AI to a Mk IV suit (if it could fit) - for a lesser, perhaps, but still a straight bonus to doing things.
The Avatar case be explained in two ways, both of them viable in my opinion. Either they have to force will upon their steed, as was already mentioned, and those nerve node connections are more than mere interfaces running along data - they somehow pass on the user's will (not as intent, but as the inexplicable power that allows us to resist mindfuck and do minor miracles), and that's why it is way more intensive and intricate than any other connection system (this is also supported by limited evidence of the ghostship mission where all participants were installed such nerve nodes). Or it could be that the body is purely better, more capable, more powerful in any ways imaginable, and just to control, to utilize its power more or less fully much more complex control system is required - sorta like in the Pacific Rim Jaegers, if I got their explanation correctly.

Quote from: Parisbre56
Jim connected himself to the VR so that he actually felt things via direct brain stimulation, but he was already a robot at that point. ... I'm not so sure if Feyri used it too though.
Actually, I recall Feyri being the first to try it, or at least participate as well. And one more thing - we must know of the helm-inserted electrodes because of a human user initiating that - as it is said, Jim already had sort of the same system in place, which just got input from the VR machines. Not to mention his brain being safely in a case in the middle of the chest, where nothing could've penetrated into it that easily.

Quote from: syvarris
Maybe I'm visualizing something different from you?  I'm imagining the legs being mounted basically in a row, so a well aimed shot could hit all three.
At the very least, they would probably have to be spread and splayed across to ensure the best stability - spider-style (except six, not eight - maybe); and then maybe the middle ones might better be placed slightly further out - so as to increase the spread, stability and ensure they cannot be all taken out by a single shot.

and we know that VR users can do even more with just barely any input.
Important section highlighted.  What do you mean by that?  From what I know, VR users require more input to do less than robobody people, and a lot of the stuff they do is abstracted or stock.  A VR person doesn't actully control their legs- they make their avatar go forward, and the VR machine uses canned animations to show what their legs are doing.
Yes, but I am fairly sure those 'canned animations' vary incredibly - I always thought that VR machines could simulate reality to about molecular level, and the user can do pretty much whatever he wants there, including moving his legs in just about any way imaginable (for human body, though, I'll give you that, and here is where we get back to 'canned animations'). Apart from discussed elsewhere ability to supply mostly untouched human brains with feelings and sensations, this is mostly the virtue of the VR machine simulation, that user is allowed to do pretty much anything (already conceived by the creators, but that's lifetimes and worlds of possible things nonetheless) he could in the world - and more, by playing with the simulation itself ('exploding' things to see what they are up close, creating, modifying and deleting whole interactable entities, and so on); all of that hinging on but the barest input from the user. Robot people probably cannot play worlds in their heads, as far as I know. But they can probably control their bodies better if the creators of the VRs didn't know much about those.
Of course, it may have a price - say, actually all the interaction is incredibly slowly but the user doesn't not feel so because of the drugs, but that seems unlikely. More likely it requires some very intensive amount of hardware to compute all that - and is still imperfect. But that imperfection, unless the user is Xan, has a Nyartifact or is looking for black-box research, is mostly unseen and doesn't come into play.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 02, 2015, 03:27:26 am »

I imagine being connected with a living, thinking body with an alien intelligence inhabiting it would be different than being connected with a normal robobody. ... And sure, avatars don't get the reroll upgrade, but they get a frigging +1 to every roll due to the avatar's intelligence helping them. That's way better, like an onboard homicidal AI helping them do everything in the most extreme way possible.
This. Also, one of the reasons I considered adding a more common wetware AI to a Mk IV suit (if it could fit) - for a lesser, perhaps, but still a straight bonus to doing things.
The Avatar case be explained in two ways, both of them viable in my opinion. Either they have to force will upon their steed, as was already mentioned, and those nerve node connections are more than mere interfaces running along data - they somehow pass on the user's will (not as intent, but as the inexplicable power that allows us to resist mindfuck and do minor miracles), and that's why it is way more intensive and intricate than any other connection system (this is also supported by limited evidence of the ghostship mission where all participants were installed such nerve nodes). Or it could be that the body is purely better, more capable, more powerful in any ways imaginable, and just to control, to utilize its power more or less fully much more complex control system is required - sorta like in the Pacific Rim Jaegers, if I got their explanation correctly.

Quote from: Parisbre56
Jim connected himself to the VR so that he actually felt things via direct brain stimulation, but he was already a robot at that point. ... I'm not so sure if Feyri used it too though.
Actually, I recall Feyri being the first to try it, or at least participate as well. And one more thing - we must know of the helm-inserted electrodes because of a human user initiating that - as it is said, Jim already had sort of the same system in place, which just got input from the VR machines. Not to mention his brain being safely in a case in the middle of the chest, where nothing could've penetrated into it that easily.

Maybe I'm visualizing something different from you?  I'm imagining the legs being mounted basically in a row, so a well aimed shot could hit all three.
At the very least, they would probably have to be spread and splayed across to ensure the best stability - spider-style (except six, not eight - maybe); and then maybe the middle ones might better be placed slightly further out - so as to increase the spread, stability and ensure they cannot be all taken out by a single shot.

and we know that VR users can do even more with just barely any input.
Important section highlighted.  What do you mean by that?  From what I know, VR users require more input to do less than robobody people, and a lot of the stuff they do is abstracted or stock.  A VR person doesn't actully control their legs- they make their avatar go forward, and the VR machine uses canned animations to show what their legs are doing.
Yes, but I am fairly sure those 'canned animations' vary incredibly - I always thought that VR machines could simulate reality to about molecular level, and the user can do pretty much whatever he wants there, including moving his legs in just about any way imaginable (for human body, though, I'll give you that, and here is where we get back to 'canned animations'). Apart from discussed elsewhere ability to supply mostly untouched human brains with feelings and sensations, this is mostly the virtue of the VR machine simulation, that user is allowed to do pretty much anything (already conceived by the creators, but that's lifetimes and worlds of possible things nonetheless) he could in the world - and more, by playing with the simulation itself ('exploding' things to see what they are up close, creating, modifying and deleting whole interactable entities, and so on); all of that hinging on but the barest input from the user. Robot people probably cannot play worlds in their heads, as far as I know. But they can probably control their bodies better if the creators of the VRs didn't know much about those.
Of course, it may have a price - say, actually all the interaction is incredibly slowly but the user doesn't not feel so because of the drugs, but that seems unlikely. More likely it requires some very intensive amount of hardware to compute all that - and is still imperfect. But that imperfection, unless the user is Xan, has a Nyartifact or is looking for black-box research, is mostly unseen and doesn't come into play.

Anton's been developing a VR-based control method for remote bodies, by the way. He was hung up on automating movements when the connection cuts out, (and abandoned the project in favor of simpler drones) but otherwise he had the VR controls ready.

And VR is fairly limited. It's far from a molecular-level simulation, and can't be used to, i.e. simulate human brains - VR NPCs are just programs. It's also the reason some things are "black boxed" in VR - it can only simulate interactions between components for which the physical laws are known. It can simulate what happens to a laser beam going through a prism, but it can't say what happens inside an alien artifact or a manipulator - the smallest component it can simulate for those is the object itself, any physical effects it has are preprogrammed into the simulation.

Also, chemical interactions can probably be simulated insofar as you're putting together two "globs" of specific materials, and the rules of interaction for those materials are either known, or can be extrapolated because the chemical formulas for them are known, since chemistry has its own rules of how it works. It's not molecular-level simulation, it's just advanced interaction rules.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:30:38 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 02, 2015, 05:18:49 am »

Also, chemical interactions can probably be simulated insofar as you're putting together two "globs" of specific materials, and the rules of interaction for those materials are either known, or can be extrapolated because the chemical formulas for them are known, since chemistry has its own rules of how it works. It's not molecular-level simulation, it's just advanced interaction rules.
Well, that's sort of 'atomic-level' simulation, if we take 'atom' at its original meaning of 'indivisible, elementary' and scale it maybe several times (likely orders of magnitude) the real atoms? I mean, as far as not delving into micro(subatomic)-level interactions and forces goes, it is probably a fairly accurate simulation.
Past Sigs

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 02, 2015, 06:41:42 am »

Various stuff:

Gonna try to do battlesuit design stuff later, when internet stops crapping out.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:46:42 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2015, 09:27:05 am »

@Toaster

...Clark's actually inside the thing?  I assumed there was quantum entanglement involved.  In any case, it's probably either not nearly protective enough, or it's far too expensive to be practical.

You know, I'm not sure.  Fair point.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 02, 2015, 10:08:52 am »

On Sean's Mk III-A:
How about incorporating the improved exoskeleton? At best, it could decrease the cost even further (keeping the str/end bonus same).

Plus, how about using MCP-II instead of Mk II as base suit? It could work as a sort of 'WIP test MCP-III' while serving your intended purpose - and, hopefully, decrease the overall cost/token price even further. And then, if that's not much, you could also finalize the MCP-II (the schematics/design specifics are already out there, the only thing remaining is Piecewise's confirmation) and send a couple of those to the Sword along the MkIII-A and the rest of the shipment.

((Or, I could also finalize it myself... face the consequences... and allow the Heph team to use and ship the finished prototype. Of course, only if there is no other way and the Heph residents are out of actions and time for that. ))
Past Sigs

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 03, 2015, 03:52:50 am »

1. Wing suit stuff is fine (though a way to extend and retract it might be prudent) but the ducted fans...I question their ability to function as you want. I'm no physicist, but from what I've seen with drones and that myth busters attempt to build something similar (as well as The Martin Jetpack) it seems like even extremely high efficiency ducted fans lack the force to keep a man aloft. At least, not without being stupidly huge. Even with the problem of a power source taken care of, it still seems to have definite problems.
2. Well, we can already overcharge robotic muscles. Jim, way back when, was offered a program to do it, but declined. Mostly because doing so is dangerous.

((The Martin Jetpack's prototype wasn't terribly stupidly huge.

That thing runs on regular fuel (200HP engine) instead of using electric ducted fans and futuristic compact reactors. Sure it won't be quite as slim as in my picture, but even with how poorly the tech would advance in the space-age, applying our usual "this is the future" discount should make something like it more than wearable.))

Any opinions on this? I do agree it pushes realism a bit, but the current developments in all-electric VTOL aircraft look pretty good. I.e.:

And this is with the current energy storage technology, which can't even make a working combat laser rifle. I think something like the Martin Jetpack, reduced to just the ducted fans with integrated brushless motors, mounted onto a powered exoskeleton that acts as both the frame and the control mechanism, powered by an inexhaustible nuclear generator the size of a shoebox, should be a pretty viable concept. Not a rocket pack in terms of speed and carrying capacity, but still workable.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 155