Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48

Author Topic: BYOR 12 - Game Over: And That's Why They Call Them Mafia  (Read 107494 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 2: Creepy Crawlers
« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2013, 04:39:12 pm »

Small post due to a storm making both internet and electricity unstable:

Cheetar, for the reasons of D1, plus that wierd mass vote switch. I am aware people have already gone over this but if neither birdy nor TolyK was one of your scumpicks, why did you vote them? After all, if you think them to not be scum, why would you want them to die? Nerjin was your top pick for scum at the time, or so it seemed, and at the time of the vote madness he was one of the most voted around. Even if you were having your doubts about his scumness, wouldn't it make sense to keep your vote on him, rather than another player you did not feel was scum?

Extend, I pretty much missed nearly two days.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 12, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »

Small post due to a storm making both internet and electricity unstable:

Cheetar, for the reasons of D1, plus that wierd mass vote switch. I am aware people have already gone over this but if neither birdy nor TolyK was one of your scumpicks, why did you vote them? After all, if you think them to not be scum, why would you want them to die? Nerjin was your top pick for scum at the time, or so it seemed, and at the time of the vote madness he was one of the most voted around. Even if you were having your doubts about his scumness, wouldn't it make sense to keep your vote on him, rather than another player you did not feel was scum?

Extend, I pretty much missed nearly two days.

Lazy. Top scumpicks, not scumpicks in general. Plus, just voting a single dude forever and never changing your mind is kind of stupid, and I'm not going to be doing that. There're a few questions other people left you, Deathsword, would you answer those?

Also, here's where I kinda answered this earlier, for your benefit:

Neither of the people who were likely to be lynched were my top picks for scum, but they'd both acted scummily in the past. However, Birdy was startingly towny in the face of his upcoming death, and (upon being asked to consider Toly as scum) I took a quick look over what he'd said and how he'd acted and I saw him as more scummy than Birdy, so I swapped my vote to him when it was sure that doing so wouldn't tie the vote.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »

Nerjin:
3 posts with nothing but “Not posting just yet” and a “Convince me” like he’s the emporer of Oz. Then his most recent post he actually switches gears and goes after Imp!
Summary: TWS is very lazy and lurks far too much for my liking.
Do you think this maybe had something to do with the business with school that I mentioned multiple times? I do.

So you stuck with Birdy because you're lazy? That's good to hear except that... No. That's not good enough. What did you see late-day that changed your mind so entirely? Oh, and this better be a good one since you were confident enough in Birdy's scumhood to lazily tunnel him the entire day.
Not having time =/= lazy. And I don't have anything hard and fast "this is a town tell, Birdy is town" from day end, more of a general feeling of towniness, and I tend to trust my gut feelings. I trust his claim.

Ugh... I detest voting what is now essentially a hammer vote, being a hypocrite, and going against my words. But as it stands, if the day were to end right now it would be a No Lynch, which is arguably a pretty poor arrangement.

So, given that I'm not overly bothered by TolyK and I won't vote for myself, I'll throw my vote on Nerjin. I do agree with [him] though. With as many people who aren't active, it may be a good time to move onto Day 2. This time there will not be an extension from me.

That said, if one passes, I'll revert to no voting, and let those who are still actively participating take care of business. But at some point we do have to move forward.

This point right here is what threw me into a red-alert faze. Not because I'm being voted. But because of the reasoning. Remember Birdy51 had asked for a replacement. Yet they seem pretty keen on staying in the game and have posted quite a bit. They just throw their vote on me like a piece of cold bologna and then say "I don't really believe in this but we don't have enough active players so let's go onto Day 2." They proceed to vote one of the more active players with no reason given other than "Let's get this over with." They do later rescind this vote but only after being called out on it.
This is justification after your initial vote. You never mentioned any of this in your posts before day end.

Imp:
TheWetSheep:
I continued Scumhunting with numbered points 1-4; everything I did in interaction with him was Scumhunting.  I wanted his reactions, I wanted to feel and analyze our interactions.  I wanted his answers too.

You consider this scumhunting?
None the less, if I am a rabbit you role fisher, you'd best consider me the Monty Python version, at least to Scum like yourself.  Beware the cute ones.

You on the other hand.  Considering how you play games, are you trying to clue us in to having picked Elmer Fudd as your role choice, in a "Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits" sort of way?

Newp.  "Oh, you dubbuh-cwossing wabbit! You tweachewous miscweant!"  is all I have to say to your Scummy side.
I consider it fluff. How were you expecting to get a telling reaction from it?

Why did you accuse him of rolefishing?
The same - I wanted his reaction.  I don't know if he was rolefishing or not - I don't understand if rolefishing in a BYOR is even Scummy - I'm not sure that roles make it clear what your alignment or even powers are.  I don't know why he decided to say to me, "It makes you look as if you're trying to make yourself look like a fluffy bunny that's asking for help.  Don't you agree?"
So I'm justified in saying you've been bandwagoning, lying, and buddying? I don't know whether you have been or not. Picking a random scumtell and throwing it at somebody to make your case bigger doesn't work too well. And it doesn't seem like you - you usually have well-supported arguments and cases.

I used the words I needed to interact with him and offer him a range to respond to, because I wished to evaluate his motives and intentions both in seeing how he reacted, and what he reacted too.
That's an easy thing to say. It doesn't change the fact that I see your post as containing a whole bunch of fluff to make it look bigger.

Cheeetar: Why no vote on Deathsword?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 12, 2013, 10:50:52 pm »

Cheeetar: Why no vote on Deathsword?

Waiting for Birdy to reply to my questions. I only want to vote for people I think are definitely scum for Day 2- Deathsword reads as lazy more than scum, although I reserve the right to change my opinion if he keeps not answering the stuff people direct at him.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 12, 2013, 11:42:31 pm »

[Off topic: Good luck with the grave thing kiddo. Things like that can be hard.
Thanks.  It was about as hard as I imagined it would be.  I'll be back in business tomorrow.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #395 on: November 13, 2013, 09:38:20 am »

Imp
Almost resigned.
Stick at it Imp and in about ten games time if you're paying attention you'll be a master at this.

I'm also mad at him for acting so Scummily and being Town.  Even knowing he is Town now, I read back over D1 and his behavior doesn't look like Town behavior to me.
I think the problem isn't necessarily with TolyK here but in your understanding of what constitutes scum-behaviour. A lot of town players coast in Day 1, probably because there's little of note to discuss and there's almost always a mislynch. Still, I note that he never even pressed a proper case despite other people pressuring him. He wasn't the most terrible Day 1 target.

That got me thinking that in a sense, everything that happens before Lylo/Mylo might be a form of 'jury selection', the day lynch and the night kill somewhat akin to the prosecution and defense lawyers asking prospective jurors questions that might reveal biases - each side (and the judge) with a certain number of people they are allowed to excuse as they search for a jury that they can both live with - those that one side most likes are likely to be nixed by the other side, and the people that neither side really likes (but neither side is willing to waste a limited reserve of rejections on) are the ones most likely to actually sit on the case.
That's not a bad analogy, except, of course scum have a wider pool of people they can trust to behave in a way favourable to their wincon at LYLO.

Toaster
I got no message, which in Wuba games means "Your action was successful, as far as you know."  I did confirm this via PM.  This means that blocks are out, but redirections (and delays) are possible.
I see. Not sure if you've answered this yet, but what made you decide to claim?

Thanks for compiling in one place the end of Day 1 vote-switch-fest.

Tiruin— how do you feel about Nerjin and Birdy? What are your reads on them?

Cheetar— Deathsword, does have one point. Your vote was on Nerjin and then when you swapped votes to the player Nerjin had voted. Why did you sheep the vote of a player you thought was scum?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Night 1: The Beginning
« Reply #396 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:50 am »

Vote Count
------------------------
birdy51 -
Cheeetar - Deathsword,
Deathsword - notquitethere,
Imp - TheWetSheep,
Nerjin -
notquitethere -
Shakerag -
The_Iqovian -
TheWetSheep -
Tiruin -
Toaster -
No Lynch -

Not Voting - Toaster, Shakerag, Imp, Tiruin, Cheeetar, Nerjin, birdy51, The_Iqovian,

6 To Hammer. Day ends Wednesday 8 PM Central.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 2: Creepy Crawlers [1 Replacement]
« Reply #397 on: November 13, 2013, 10:05:29 am »

Extend.

There are still quite a few things that need discussed before nightfall.

Nerjin

Okay, had lunch, went out and did some stuff. Realized my intense paranoia about Birdy51 was helping on one. So now I’m back and ready to do rereads. Just like last time I shall be putting a summary of my two earlier posts on the person at the beginning of their spoiler. For obvious reasons I shall be excluding Hapah and TolyK in this read. {Hint: It’s because they’re dead and town.}

Spoiler: @Birdy51 (click to show/hide)

PPE: Birdy, you should know by now that I compile my views on EVERYONE before I post them in my "Read n' Post" or "Readstraveganza" [I like the former name better]. So worry not. Like the passive aggressiveness though. [Also, out of game note: Have fun with the show stuff!]

I probably should have known your penchant for longer posts yes. :P

However, my statement stands. I am Town, and I have absolutely no qualms with saying it at this point. Despite this, I am no any better of a Townie. Just saying it doesn't make it true, so your case and your suspicion is justified. There is not a trace of passive aggressiveness in that statement. It's just how things are.

Now, I've organized the questions and statements that needed responding to. Forgive for cherrypicking a bit on the statements, but when I do that I either answered the question earlier or silently disagree with you.

[1] No. My power did not give me insight into Toaster. However, as strong point is made that hiding the nature of what happened last night isn't going to help anyone, especially with his claim. I was Protected last night, and that was the only action taken upon me. That is the extent of my knowledge on the subject that isn't theory crafting.

[2] My basis of that comment is one thing.

A. I was fully expecting to die at that point in time. At those sort of moments in your life, you generally want to go ahead and give out any last reads. NQT has yet to address the fact that I never addressed him with an RVS question. That struck me as odd, especially given the caliber of player that NQT is. If he's Townie, he's being neglectful. If he's scum, he's avoiding stirring up any trouble that might cause people to bat an eye. Going through the motions is easy. Causing a stir is a bit more risky, as you have seen personified in myself.

That said, the main reason that I would rather not pursue the argument is the fact that I'm trying to get out the door before Les Miserables smashes it down and uses said door as a part of the barricade. I would rather not have any replacement of mine's  game even further altered by even more shenanigans on my part.

[3] I'll just go ahead and explain this one in detail. I'm already likely to be a target, but at least this time I can do something about it if I guess correctly.

It's called Rerun. It forces the target player to retake the action that they performed the night prior.  Apply to a scum player, and voila! They would be forced to take the factional kill repeatedly… Over and over and over again. A groundhog's day nightmare. 

[4] I am reasonably disappointed.  I was hoping that I would be targeted by more people, but the scum team must have been smart enough to know that doctors will protect their cops.

[5] Yes.

[6] Also yes. I really just wanted the day to end. If I recall, you just wanted the day to end quickly as well. However, as it stood at that hour, all votes were tied. Other people weren't voting, so someone had to take action. I did take action and nearly took a bullet to the brain for it.

((That said… I regret nothing. That night was pretty awesome and it cheered me up significantly.))

Cheetar

Spoiler: Birdy51 (click to show/hide)

I as I mentioned to Nerjin… Doctors protect cops.

Imp

Birdy:
Birdy, why do you think you haven't been targeted for any night kills?

Likely because I had made too much of a fuss. To put it simply, I'm not an easy target.

What does your "made too much of a fuss" have to do with "not [being] an easy [night kill] target"?

When you say "made too much of a fuss", are you talking about your posts in this thread or something else?

The only way I could advance the Town Wincon, is to prevent my own death and allow myself a chance to take a Night Action. Assuming I'm still alive in the morning (Which, at this point is probably a fat chance), I should have some rudimentary information to work with.

Regardless, my death should provide some information for the Town to work with. Hopefully, my corpse can be used as a stepping stone for further operations.

@Birdy51
I am confident I can find something over night. My role power is conducive to something like that happening. I'll vote myself if I fail to find anything.

Get to voting boy. I'll help you along, Birdy51. I am still certain that you're scum.

I did find something, it's just that the something is not a lot to go off of. At the time, I was hoping for a more definitive result, but it's clear I missed my mark.

I am too tired right now to form a coherent question about this, so posting it as a reminder to myself to ask about it.  The core of my question is that I want Birdy to explain his thinking/reasoning/rationale/expectations as to why he felt that his survival through morning of D2 was "the only way [he] could advance the Town Wincon".

Birdy, if you get around to explaining that before I have time to properly phrase the question(s), that'll be great.  If not, clearer question(s) about it when I can.

Theory time… Bear with me for a little bit.

I would like to assume that there is a certain level of scummitude some characters need to escape the wolves(Scum) and avoid frightening the lambs(Town). A players who accomplish both of these things, survives. For instance, take Hapah. I suspect that the only reason whatsoever he was killed, was that he was a wallflower. He wasn't taking risks, and caught the backhand of the scum team for it. I would dare anyone here to claim otherwise.

However, there is also such a thing as being "too Townie". If you truly establish yourself as a Townie, you’re also likely to wake up in the morning dead. This is why cops never claim, unless they are certain that they have found something. In my case however, I truly though I was lynchmeat. So at that point, there was nothing I felt that I needed to hide in order to live.

What I didn't expect, was that people were actually considering keeping me around in more ways than one. If I could escape the lynch with the claim that I was a cop, I fully expected the scum team to come running to kill me full throttle. Conversely, I knew there was likely a Townie who would want to keep me alive.

In other words, I could eat a NK attempt, know that someone tried to kill me, and thus take the necessary actions to figure who that person was. Unfortunately however, I caused too much trouble. They likely knew I was going to be protected… At least for tonight. That's what I meant for making too much of a fuss. A successful night kill on me would have been a dicey business.

I suppose that is the only reason I'm still here.

Toaster

Birdy:  If you are still looking for a replacement, you probably should make it more obvious, since it's not in the thread title.

You're right. I have gone ahead and PMed Webadict about the matter.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 13, 2013, 10:42:35 am »

Extend.

Catching up now.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 13, 2013, 10:51:16 am »

Birdy
NQT has yet to address the fact that I never addressed him with an RVS question. That struck me as odd, especially given the caliber of player that NQT is. If he's Townie, he's being neglectful. If he's scum, he's avoiding stirring up any trouble that might cause people to bat an eye. Going through the motions is easy. Causing a stir is a bit more risky, as you have seen personified in myself.
You're hardly unique in this respect: a lot of players that are probably town didn't specifically ask me RVS questions. Your general game-engagement has been above average all things considered but I'm still keeping tabs. If I live long enough I'll do some proper analysis and I'll get back to you if you're really as scummy as you seem to want me to think you might be.

Wait, who's replacing out? Is The Iqovian, who hasn't posted all day 2? Because if not, The Iqovian, you've got some explaining to do.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #400 on: November 13, 2013, 10:59:30 am »

Extend.

NQT:
Toaster
I got no message, which in Wuba games means "Your action was successful, as far as you know."  I did confirm this via PM.  This means that blocks are out, but redirections (and delays) are possible.
I see. Not sure if you've answered this yet, but what made you decide to claim?

I thought it'd be helpful information.  I'm not a full-on doc so I'm not afraid to claim.

Birdy:  You could have just said "I WIFOMed the scum team and the scum team is WIFOMing the town by not killing me" and saved quite a bit of time.

Cheeetar:  I've noticed some things.

First, you voted TolyK initially for not posting.  Later, you vote Nerjin for his voting Iqovian for low posting (and a couple other things.)  This is an interesting reversal.  You're fairly quiet, ostensibly waiting for Nerjin to respond to you without any serious pursuit of other leads.  Once he responds, your response back to him makes it fairly clear you think he is scum.

Later, you jump onto Birdy from Nerjin, a bit apropos of nothing, given I didn't see any suspicion of Birdy earlier.  Voting him for breaking a tie- especially away from himself- is not a very good reason to vote someone.

Birdy, why do you think you haven't been targeted for any night kills?

This is asking him to indulge in WIFOM and nothing more.

Imp, how do you feel about the person whose demise you orchestrated being town?
(Emphasis mine)

This is a blame shift.  You had quite a bit to do with that one:

Alright, I'll bite. If TWS is willing to vote Toly, I'll gladly change my vote. I'm assuming you will too, Imp?
It's close to the deadline, and I definitely don't want to have a tie vote. If we want to lynch Toly instead of Birdy, we're all going to have to change our votes.
Prospect of either a Birdy or a TolyK lynch, definitely wanting a TolyK one. Birdy I voted because he was being mildly suspicious and I didn't want a tie vote, although he's been fairly townie in the face of his possible death. Toly I'm voting because he's even more suspicious, and a better pick for scum upon reflection.

Everybody! I don't think we're fully using the results of the day 1 lynch or the day 2 nightkill. Look at who voted for Toly, and whose reasoning was weak- additionally, was there anybody who'd said they were suspicious of Toly but for some reason held back for voting for him? (Possibly to avoid suspicion when his alignment was discovered?) Why do you think Hapah was targeted for a scum kill?

And now you're really trying to spread that blame.

I'm not being a guardian- Nerjin was being legitimately scummy in the way he confirmed Iqo as '100% scum'. Encouraging Iqo to post more, however, is something I'm comfortable owning up to.

And now -contrary to the above- you're encouraging people with low post counts. 

Birdy51
Last night, after claiming detective, you were either protected from night kill by a doctor (more likely) or you weren't targeted for night kill by scum. This means you can finally tell us how the hell your role works, instead of keeping it a secret from us, and why you couldn't perform last night- do you think you were roleblocked, or what? Keeping us in the dark isn't helping.

Oh yes, fish out that investigative role.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 13, 2013, 11:37:20 am »

Actually it was Birdy51.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40:10 am »

Blugh, sorry. Accidently hit post before finishing. I was replying that it's Birdy who's asking for replacement. [NQT asked]
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:34 am »

Nerjin I know you'd intended to vote Birdy before, but why didn't you rectify that in your last post where you recognised the mistake and even followed up on Birdy some more?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 13, 2013, 12:50:07 pm »

Birdy
NQT has yet to address the fact that I never addressed him with an RVS question. That struck me as odd, especially given the caliber of player that NQT is. If he's Townie, he's being neglectful. If he's scum, he's avoiding stirring up any trouble that might cause people to bat an eye. Going through the motions is easy. Causing a stir is a bit more risky, as you have seen personified in myself.
You're hardly unique in this respect: a lot of players that are probably town didn't specifically ask me RVS questions. Your general game-engagement has been above average all things considered but I'm still keeping tabs. If I live long enough I'll do some proper analysis and I'll get back to you if you're really as scummy as you seem to want me to think you might be.

Wait, who's replacing out? Is The Iqovian, who hasn't posted all day 2? Because if not, The Iqovian, you've got some explaining to do.

Wait just a second... Why do I want you to perceive me as scummy?

And as a rebuff to your point, I addressed everyone save for you. Other people may do what they like with RVS questions, including the possibility of asking little to none. But, you were the only character I went out of my way to avoid.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48