Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48

Author Topic: BYOR 12 - Game Over: And That's Why They Call Them Mafia  (Read 107381 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 1: Murder At The Docks
« Reply #375 on: November 11, 2013, 10:33:53 am »

Cheetar
Neither of the people who were likely to be lynched were my top picks for scum, but they'd both acted scummily in the past. However, Birdy was startingly towny in the face of his upcoming death, and (upon being asked to consider Toly as scum) I took a quick look over what he'd said and how he'd acted and I saw him as more scummy than Birdy, so I swapped my vote to him when it was sure that doing so wouldn't tie the vote.
But there were, what, five of at the end? Surely you could have moved to pushing your actual scum pick? I can understand these kinds of tense situations, but it's very easy to let the need to make a decision allow a bad decision to be pushed through.

Tiruin
Counterpoint: Why are you so easily pissable? As in, why do you need to wordify your anger? Under what purpose caused it?
This sentence is a poetic masterstoke.

How do you feel about your case on TolyK now we're on Day 2?

Nerjin
Yeah. What do we learn if the vote gets tied? Nothing. There's no flip, no extra intelligence gained. Just nothing. As to why I thought the vote got tied, in case you didn't notice that little mini-extension brought a LOT of changes. I didn't really have time to calmly reread I was a little busy trying to make sure scum got lynched.
I think I'd say: town should always strive for a lynch, however if you are town then you should attempt to stop yourself being mislynched, tying the vote if needs be. You can always step up your game the next day, but giving scum a free point and removing one more genuine scumhunter the next day isn't going to help town. But here I think our intuitions differ.

You did not find ANYTHING that is helpful to town. You did not find ANYTHING that you can prove. Therefore you did not find ANYTHING!

Here's how it happened. You either didn't do anything last night, did something for your scum-team, or you night killed. But I very much doubt that you investigated anything. It's incredibly easy to say "Oh, I found that I was visited last night." but here's my question how much did you learn? Did you learn anything useful? Oh... We've already covered that.
Hold up Detective Nerjin, what makes you so sure? I know whenever I learn anything as town from my night actions, if it doesn't put anyone in danger I like to share it: the more information town has before you die the better. Good town-play does mean maintaining a sense of proportion and not reducing all your opponents to strawmen.

Birdy has made a small claim (that someone has targeted him with a positive action/there are such roles in this game) that we should take seriously. Are you really suggesting that a doctor or whatever should come forward and claim on the basis of that? If you're so positive Birdy is scum then why aren't you presenting a case and putting a lynch vote down?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 11, 2013, 10:47:59 am »

You did not find ANYTHING that is helpful to town. You did not find ANYTHING that you can prove. Therefore you did not find ANYTHING!

Here's how it happened. You either didn't do anything last night, did something for your scum-team, or you night killed. But I very much doubt that you investigated anything. It's incredibly easy to say "Oh, I found that I was visited last night." but here's my question how much did you learn? Did you learn anything useful? Oh... We've already covered that.
Hold up Detective Nerjin, what makes you so sure? I know whenever I learn anything as town from my night actions, if it doesn't put anyone in danger I like to share it: the more information town has before you die the better. Good town-play does mean maintaining a sense of proportion and not reducing all your opponents to strawmen.

Birdy has made a small claim (that someone has targeted him with a positive action/there are such roles in this game) that we should take seriously. Are you really suggesting that a doctor or whatever should come forward and claim on the basis of that? If you're so positive Birdy is scum then why aren't you presenting a case and putting a lynch vote down?

You don't read do you? My case has already been presented and I AM voting him, demonstrated thusly:

@Birdy51
[. . .]
Get to voting boy. I'll help you along, Birdy51. I am still certain that you're scum.

As for expecting anyone to own up to doing whatever it is that happened [if it did happen.] I don't expect anyone to own up because I doubt anyone even did anything on the basis of how generic it was. He stated:

I was unable to learn much last night. Through my investigations, I learned that I had a single visitor. A benevolent one at that.

That doesn't really tell us anything and is information easily faked.

But you're right. Maybe I'm letting my paranoia get the better of me. I'm still sure he's scum but I'll be representing a case, as I said, after lunch. About two hours as it stands.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 11, 2013, 11:16:45 am »

Nerjin
You don't read do you? My case has already been presented and I AM voting him, demonstrated thusly:
That 'vote' is in a quote, hence why I didn't. It's not legal but I gather that it was intended.

As for expecting anyone to own up to doing whatever it is that happened [if it did happen.] I don't expect anyone to own up because I doubt anyone even did anything on the basis of how generic it was.
[...]
That doesn't really tell us anything and is information easily faked.
Yes, but it's also information that could easily be confirmed or disproven. Anyone could have been watching Birdy last night so it's still a risky thing to false-claim with little benefit to doing so.

But you're right. Maybe I'm letting my paranoia get the better of me. I'm still sure he's scum but I'll be representing a case, as I said, after lunch. About two hours as it stands.
Okay. I look forward to hearing it.

You take care of yourself Shake, look forward to seeing you when you can.

Toaster
So you were saying...

It's getting pretty close to the end of the day: are you going to use your vote?
Yes.

You didn't seem to have a problem asking other people to use their vote:

TolyK:
What do you say? A giant roadside scum attraction? You mean, thing that attracts scum? Possibly, I'll keep that in mind, thanks Shakerag.
Why couldn't this have been a vote, considering you're not voting anyway?

So what gives? You just not actually interested in hunting scum?

Sheep— A lot's happened since yesterday and today. You still think Birdy's scum?

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 12 - Day 2: Creepy Crawlers
« Reply #378 on: November 11, 2013, 11:35:05 am »

Imp: Regarding your giant case on TolyK.

all three of our answers lined up together - he'd already quoted each one alone before - he even keeps in each of us quoting his question.  His post has got to look long enough to hide that it's only got 41 words in it, the top set blatantly obvious about why ask, and the bottom set simplest possible analysis of what we said - and a reminder the show's not over yet, keep watching!
The hypocrisy here is kind of funny. In the spoiler you have an entirety of one point on TolyK: his lack of asking useful questions and following up on them. Somehow, you extend that point into that long, dramatic story with fluff and quoting bits from every one of his posts.

I think Cheetar, Imp, TolyK and you are the most engaged in the game and this is usually a good proxy for town. I found Cheetar a bit too passive at the beginning but he's done a fairly good job of explaining where he's coming from.
I'm usually even more wanting to play the game as scum, though, since that's rarer. So I don't quite agree with your logic.

Oh, but how you engage, would you say that's the same?  How can you have so much energy to put into building intricate riddles through multiple players' posts and keep up your Scumhunting too?  Oh, right.  You're playing your own game instead of Scumhunting.  I see it now, thanks!

Now, as for you and why I dislike your vote. I can understand wanting to get out RVS, but I can hardly see how my post was role fishing.  Given that I had innocent intentions when I wrote the question, it causes me to ponder what in particular made that one post stand out to you.
You can still do scummy stuff if you have innocent intentions. :P

And innocent seeming, time-wasty stuff when you have Scummy intentions, you mean as well, so tongue-sticking-outly?
These are both you taking TolyK's answers to other people and basically saying "haha you're activelurking". They have absolutely nothing related to your case.

Next part of your post:
I don't hear much about passivity finding Scum.  Could you offer some links to help me find where passive play has been used effectively to assist and ensure Town wins?
This is really painting yourself as town. As in, this is like saying "I'm town", except "Help me work for the town's cause".
It makes you look as if you're trying to make yourself look like a fluffy bunny that's asking for help.
Don't you agree?
1.Nope.  Sincere question, I meant every word I said.  Happens I'm a newbie, this is my third game.  The first two haven't ended yet; when you look at my ears that's not length you see; they're still wet.

2.None the less, if I am a rabbit you role fisher, you'd best consider me the Monty Python version, at least to Scum like yourself.  Beware the cute ones.

3.You on the other hand.  Considering how you play games, are you trying to clue us in to having picked Elmer Fudd as your role choice, in a "Shhh. Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits" sort of way?

4.Newp.  "Oh, you dubbuh-cwossing wabbit! You tweachewous miscweant!"  is all I have to say to your Scummy side.
Numbering mine.

1 contains the answer to his question, nothing more. 2,3 and 4 are fluff, except for your random accusation of rolefishing in 2. So no real accusations here either. Why did you accuse him of rolefishing?

*post*
*other post*
Neat. There's something here, but I don't have the time to look at it right now. Ping me later in case I forget.

Ping.  Ping.  Have you had enough pings yet?  Have you had enough of wasting time yet, both yours and ours?
And then you reminding him and making another substanceless accusation of time-wasting.

So really, outside the spoiler you have no points on him, and in the spoiler your points are way overblown. It's interesting that you spend 887 words accusing him of wasting time.

Do you think that an accusation with more words is better than the same accusation put more concisely?

Birdy:
Get off your ass and actually do something different. You've fixated on me over half week. Find a new obsession and stop kicking a dog while it's down.
Sorry. I didn't want to move on until you answered my questions, and since I was really lacking time it was easier to just continue with that attack instead of combing the thread for a new one. Although I no longer think you are scum, due to the late-day stuff.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 11, 2013, 12:06:24 pm »

Posting here in 12 hours. This time I'm getting my reads straight >.<

Tiruin
Counterpoint: Why are you so easily pissable? As in, why do you need to wordify your anger? Under what purpose caused it?
This sentence is a poetic masterstoke.

How do you feel about your case on TolyK now we're on Day 2?
Nearly the same thing I felt about TolyK's case in D1 with change in verse and now checking to what happened before that which caused such a spark. I mean, wat. All those people can't all be scum (or everyone else voting is scum..but the vote-shifting. It doesn't jive correctly with me as an act-like it follows the technicality of 'lynch this guy so he won't really be a suspect since he's dead [sans resurrects] or if he's scum then yay'.
"Wtf is going on" and "I don't suspect these people for the lynch" and "we're picking people to lynch now..wow. Um..what." were my thoughts. Basically a heap of confusion minus the expressive expletives.
Where the second one comes from my suspects--which, admittedly, is currently of a vague memory due to workload/RL load but its there and I'll get it ~12 hours from now-ish.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 11, 2013, 02:47:57 pm »

If I am not too late... Save yourself the trouble of compiling an argument. As far as I am concerned, you are justified in believing that I am scum. Wrong, but justified in the fact that I did vote for you and all the other shenanigans that went on. Feel free to keep your vote on me and try to lynch me, but your time may be better spent in other exercises, such as examining what everyone else was doing.

On another note, I've entered hell week for the show I am in so my conversations will be spotty at best.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 11, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »

Okay, had lunch, went out and did some stuff. Realized my intense paranoia about Birdy51 was helping on one. So now I’m back and ready to do rereads. Just like last time I shall be putting a summary of my two earlier posts on the person at the beginning of their spoiler. For obvious reasons I shall be excluding Hapah and TolyK in this read. {Hint: It’s because they’re dead and town.}

Spoiler: @Birdy51 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Cheetar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Deathsword (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Imp (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @NotQuiteThere (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Shakerag (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @The_Iquovian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @TheWetSheep (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Tiruin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Toaster (click to show/hide)

PPE: Birdy, you should know by now that I compile my views on EVERYONE before I post them in my "Read n' Post" or "Readstraveganza" [I like the former name better]. So worry not. Like the passive aggressiveness though. [Also, out of game note: Have fun with the show stuff!]

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 11, 2013, 08:35:15 pm »

Everybody! I don't think we're fully using the results of the day 1 lynch or the day 2 nightkill. Look at who voted for Toly, and whose reasoning was weak- additionally, was there anybody who'd said they were suspicious of Toly but for some reason held back for voting for him? (Possibly to avoid suspicion when his alignment was discovered?) Why do you think Hapah was targeted for a scum kill?

Spoiler: Birdy51 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nerjin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NotQuiteThere (click to show/hide)
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 11, 2013, 08:53:53 pm »

NQT:
Toaster
So you were saying...

I blame poor time management, lack of energy, and poor play on my part.

I need to reread that post flood at day end, but I would like to claim one thing.  I have a two-shot protect, and I used one of them on Hapah last night.  Either he attracted two kills or one that bypassed protection.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 11, 2013, 08:58:59 pm »

Ah yes. Poor time management. Here let me help. I'll schedule things out for you. I'm gonna have to make some assumptions but they should help:

Monday:
0600 = Wake up
0630-12 = Play Mafia
1200-1230 = Light lunch [Grilled Cheese and Chicken Noodle Soup]
1230-1235 = Recreation
1235-2200 = Play Mafia
2200-0600 = Sleep

Tuesday - Friday
Repeat Monday

Holidays
0600=Wake up
0600-1245 = Mafia time yo
1245-1250 = Eat fesitive Cupcake
1250-2200 = Play mafia
2200-0600 = Sleep

I hope this schedule is agreeable to you. It's what I do at any rate. Should be decent enough to start out with.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 11, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »

I have a two-shot protect, and I used one of them on Hapah last night.  Either he attracted two kills or one that bypassed protection.

Why are you claiming, and why did you try to protect Hapah?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:13 am »

Cheetar
I wasn't feeling very confident in my ability to get a Nerjin lynch, and I was having some second thoughts in the whole 'Nerjin is scum' department anyway. Seeing his contributions come Day 2, I'm glad he wasn't lynched.
Okay. It's fine to change your mind but maybe today can we get some suspicions in order first to avoid last minute wild switches?

Everybody! I don't think we're fully using the results of the day 1 lynch or the day 2 nightkill. Look at who voted for Toly, and whose reasoning was weak- additionally, was there anybody who'd said they were suspicious of Toly but for some reason held back for voting for him? (Possibly to avoid suspicion when his alignment was discovered?) Why do you think Hapah was targeted for a scum kill?
It's quite likely that there was at least one scum player on Toly's lynch. Someone (I guess me when I have the time) should look back at the all the arguments against TolyK and see which was the weakest.

Toaster
I blame poor time management, lack of energy, and poor play on my part.
Well, as least you're honest. Hopefully we can see more of you today then?

I need to reread that post flood at day end, but I would like to claim one thing.  I have a two-shot protect, and I used one of them on Hapah last night.  Either he attracted two kills or one that bypassed protection.
Curious. You seem to be ruling out being blocked or redirected, so I guess you got a success message on the protect?

Nerjin
I feel like I've seen you get into this argument before with Jimmy Groovester and his twin brother Jim Groovester. At least similar. Here's the thing, NQT, the only way town gains any information is the lynch. Yeah it sucks that we run the risk of losing one of our own but without the lynch all we have is... Well nothing really.
I don't disagree with this. The lynch is the weapon of town and should be used. I'm talking about the specific case in which a town-player is up for lynch. I think for that town player, keeping themselves alive is more useful than giving information to their comrades (who may well be incompetent). If mafia was an academic field and I could get a grant, I'd look into the evidence for the two sides of this argument.

I'm curious though, your case on the Iquovian yesterday was such that you voted him up until day end. What are your reads on him now? Do you still suspect him or has he swayed your opinion? Also, can't find where, but the ability is called "Smooth Talk".
He was a legitimate general lynch candidate for most of yesterday, I like to make my vote work and perhaps if I'd have been able to have been around at day's end I'd have voted someone else.

Mostly he's ignored me. He hasn't said a thing today: I'm waiting to get back ton me from my question in my first post from today. I'll review the other suspects, but his absence doesn't fill me with confidence.

Imp
There's no way I'd feel comfortable with you in Lylo with how you're posting, analyzing, and playing, no matter what your alignment is.
Is this how you usually pick a lynch candidate?

Deathsword you're a bit quiet. Any thoughts on the end of Day 1? Still think Nerjin has a good argument and Cheetar is scum?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 12, 2013, 08:49:02 am »

Cheeetar:
Imp, how do you feel about the person whose demise you orchestrated being town?

Almost resigned.  He was the fourth mislynch in a row since I started playing Mafia and I'd only played through 4 lynches then (there's since been a fifth, and it wasn't a mislynch!) TolyK's mislynch was the second time that my top Scum pick was Town (the other two mislynches were compromise votes for me).  What bugs me most about this one is he looks like he would have been really useful.

(Auto) The End.: While you’re alive, if an action would cause you to lose the game, that action is undone.

I'm worried that we need that ability, that it is there to counterbalance something.  It was also a way he could have maybe made certain that Town won if he made it to a 3 person Lylo.  He could have used his day kill on either of the other players - his auto would prevent it from happening if he picked Town (it's an action that would cause him to lose the game) and if he picked Scum then Town would win right there.

I'm also mad at him for acting so Scummily and being Town.  Even knowing he is Town now, I read back over D1 and his behavior doesn't look like Town behavior to me.  I don't know if he meant to coast through D1 and then start trying to find Scum, or if he thought that the best service he could give Town was to just to float around, making sure he didn't get lynched and making sure he didn't get targeted as a night kill.

It would be better if I didn't waste your time, but it is what it is, from your point of view. I don't consider it a waste of time, and I hope you don't either, in the end.

I now think that's what he was trying to hint he was doing - that's the first thing he said in his response to my Case.  I totally missed it at the time, and wouldn't have made the connection on the re-read except I know the name of his abilities now.  If he was trying to avoid Scumhunting to dodge night kills, he went too far that direction and seemed too Scummy.  He and I share the responsibility for his death, because I didn't make up his behavior that I called him on, and I am supposed to be challenging Scummy behavior and trying to determine who's the most likely Scum.  He really seemed Scummy to me, for reasons I detailed here.  He responded to my charges here, in a way that looked even Scummier to me, which I explained in my answer to his response here.  I'm mad that he acted so Scummy while being Town.

notquitethere:
Can somebody explain to me why everyone suddenly upped and jumped on TolyK? Why did you all move your votes in unison?

I can explain my role in it.  I didn't move my vote, I saw TolyK as the Scummiest player but was preparing to change my vote to tie break soon (the vote count had a 3-way tie with 2 votes each for Birdy, TolyK, and Nerjin with 5 hours on the clock when I started considering a compromise vote)

Before I decided I'd better compromise because no one else was, Birdy added his vote.  Then Nerjin appeared to double vote.  Nerjin had seemed probably Town to me before that point and I still haven't sorted out what I think about that vote theft.  At that time, I could live with a Birdy lynch (lean towards him being Scum) and say so (note that I have a typo in that, in paragraph where I talk about Birdy I say "I can still live with a Nerjin lynch" - I meant "I can still live with a Birdy lynch" - I had Nerjin on the mind, I'd never seen a double vote before).

When I saw this:

I'm actually a bit more ambivalent about a Nerjin lynch right now, but I'm honestly not sure. I think the best course of action is lynching Birdy. He's not my first pick for scum, but his death would be much better than a tie and I don't think a Nerjin lynch is possible right now.

Just some final thoughts before the reveal from any player who's able was what I was asking for I suppose.

I responded:

And what are your thoughts on TolyK?

I haven't thought about him too much, to be honest! One of the problems with me trying to focus on questioning a narrower band of people. His RVS questions were odd. He's been more active than most lurkers, but for some reason he doesn't at all stick in my mind as an active player of this game- I haven't seen much pressuring or scumhunting from his side of things. Aaaand... that is a huge post on your end about his scumminess (that is a word, spell check.)
I'd absolutely agree that he seems to be actively lurking, as opposed to the lurking lurkers of the game- it's definitely more suspicious than, say, Tiruin's absence from the game. Birdy did seem a lot more invested in the game than Toly, and right now I'm thinking Toly is scummier. Is it too late to lynch a different dude?

From there I tracked the voting and tried to counter confusion - people can't make a choice, or even think about good and bad choices for a situation they don't understand.

Birdy:
Birdy, why do you think you haven't been targeted for any night kills?

Likely because I had made too much of a fuss. To put it simply, I'm not an easy target.

What does your "made too much of a fuss" have to do with "not [being] an easy [night kill] target"?

When you say "made too much of a fuss", are you talking about your posts in this thread or something else?

The only way I could advance the Town Wincon, is to prevent my own death and allow myself a chance to take a Night Action. Assuming I'm still alive in the morning (Which, at this point is probably a fat chance), I should have some rudimentary information to work with.

Regardless, my death should provide some information for the Town to work with. Hopefully, my corpse can be used as a stepping stone for further operations.

@Birdy51
I am confident I can find something over night. My role power is conducive to something like that happening. I'll vote myself if I fail to find anything.

Get to voting boy. I'll help you along, Birdy51. I am still certain that you're scum.

I did find something, it's just that the something is not a lot to go off of. At the time, I was hoping for a more definitive result, but it's clear I missed my mark.

I am too tired right now to form a coherent question about this, so posting it as a reminder to myself to ask about it.  The core of my question is that I want Birdy to explain his thinking/reasoning/rationale/expectations as to why he felt that his survival through morning of D2 was "the only way [he] could advance the Town Wincon".

Birdy, if you get around to explaining that before I have time to properly phrase the question(s), that'll be great.  If not, clearer question(s) about it when I can.

Nerjin:
If you're so positive Birdy is scum then why aren't you presenting a case and putting a lynch vote down?

@Birdy51
[. . .]
That 'vote' is in a quote, hence why I didn't. It's not legal but I gather that it was intended.

My apologies then. I didn't realize it was in the quote.

You haven't repeated your vote outside of a quote yet, so technically you're not voting for anyone currently.  Is that your intention?

How do you feel now that you know TolyK was town? Do you have a second suspect or were you too busy writing Encyclopedia’s about TolyK to notice a second person?

See my answer to Cheeetar for the first answer.  I have other suspects, and will make a list of Town/Scum leanings on everyone before end of day, but I'm going to postpone that for now because I'm really tired.

Toaster:

Why did you pick Hapah to protect, and why protect Happa N1?

TheWetSheep:
I wanted his reactions.  Others' reactions are great too.  To my interpretation, he had 'danced' through the game.  He had joked, evaded, misrepresented, and shown almost nothing about his motives save that he wanted to appear to be Scumhunting and to 'have something big coming later'.  I gave him a wide choice of things to react to.

I continued Scumhunting with numbered points 1-4; everything I did in interaction with him was Scumhunting.  I wanted his reactions, I wanted to feel and analyze our interactions.  I wanted his answers too.

Why did you accuse him of rolefishing?
The same - I wanted his reaction.  I don't know if he was rolefishing or not - I don't understand if rolefishing in a BYOR is even Scummy - I'm not sure that roles make it clear what your alignment or even powers are.  I don't know why he decided to say to me, "It makes you look as if you're trying to make yourself look like a fluffy bunny that's asking for help.  Don't you agree?"

All I know is his reaction to my words.  More dancing, more 'say what?' about his Scumminess.  More information, scant though it was, to attempt to evaluate his intentions and motives on.

It's interesting that you spend 887 words accusing him of wasting time.

Do you think that an accusation with more words is better than the same accusation put more concisely?

No.  Some people are adroit with brevity, others are naturally verbose.  I am verbose, and I am trying to limit that.  However I will say what I have to say regardless of if that needs 50 words or 5,000.

TolyK appeared to respond weirdly and evasively in close to every interaction he had with each player in this game, to be focused on something other than Scumhunting and I wanted to gauge his reaction to my words.  I did not "spend 887 words accusing him of wasting time"; I used the words I needed to interact with him and offer him a range to respond to, because I wished to evaluate his motives and intentions both in seeing how he reacted, and what he reacted too.

notquitethere:
There's no way I'd feel comfortable with you in Lylo with how you're posting, analyzing, and playing, no matter what your alignment is.
Is this how you usually pick a lynch candidate?

Not yet; as that was the 4th lynch I've participated in I don't really have a 'usually' yet.  I had recently realized that lylo play is very different from pre-lylo play, and the same strategies that (at least newbies might use to) pick who to vote for on D1 might be deadly stupid in Lylo.

That got me thinking that in a sense, everything that happens before Lylo/Mylo might be a form of 'jury selection', the day lynch and the night kill somewhat akin to the prosecution and defense lawyers asking prospective jurors questions that might reveal biases - each side (and the judge) with a certain number of people they are allowed to excuse as they search for a jury that they can both live with - those that one side most likes are likely to be nixed by the other side, and the people that neither side really likes (but neither side is willing to waste a limited reserve of rejections on) are the ones most likely to actually sit on the case.

How much that applies to Mafia, I'm still thinking about.

Hapah:
Quote from: Imp
Hapah:  Pretty early in the game you asked a question about what one could learn about playing Mafia without playing the game.  Have you found that the skills and ways of thinking that you use for Mafia are pretty useless and really different from what you use in the other parts of your life?
I'll answer, but I'd love to know what you hoped to learn from my response. Most of my real life skills translate into Mafia okay, but not much of my Mafia-specific stuff translates out to my real life, if that makes any sense. It's mostly because in Mafia you have to be extremely cynical and critical, always looking for the deception, always trying to determine motives behind actions (which is the one thing that's really bled out into my real life, on reflection). I'm simply not that kind of person most of the time, but you have to have that mindset when you're in the game.

I hoped to learn how I might best translate your world- and game-view against my perspectives.  Your question was one I would never have thought to ask, because I see tons of connections between real life skills and Mafia skills.  Granted, I haven't had much time to notice any Mafia-only skills yet - but the question you asked, "What could one learn about playing Mafia without playing Mafia"- I see so many things IRL that could improve Mafia play, from becoming a better typist, taking psychology or self defense or logic classes, reading old Mafia games, interacting with real life liars...  the list is so much longer.  I wanted your perspective on why what you asked wasn't obvious to you in the hopes it would help me understand how you think, thus what you may mean when you post.  (people who think very differently from yourself may mean totally different things when they communicate than how you interpret it to be).
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 12, 2013, 10:56:51 am »

No time to post today whatsoever... This is being cooked up in the 15 minutes betwixt classes.

However, I am reading the thread still, so I'll to answer your questions when it's both expedient and reasonable for me to do so. To answer one of your questions Nerjin, I am still seeking a replacement. That much hasn't changed.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:56 pm »

NQT:
Curious. You seem to be ruling out being blocked or redirected, so I guess you got a success message on the protect?

I got no message, which in Wuba games means "Your action was successful, as far as you know."  I did confirm this via PM.  This means that blocks are out, but redirections (and delays) are possible. 

Imp:
Toaster:

Why did you pick Hapah to protect, and why protect Happa N1?

Hapah I consider one of the better players in game, and one I had a reasonably good read on.  As for why then, it was the best action choice at this part of the game.

Birdy:  If you are still looking for a replacement, you probably should make it more obvious, since it's not in the thread title.

For my own purposes, I've annotated the vote shenanigans of D1's end.  Someone else might find it useful, so it's below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's a couple things to be sussed out from that, but one's quite obvious.

Tiruin:  Please explain your TolyK vote here, especially commenting on why you voted TolyK then mostly talked about Birdy and Nerjin- especially your apparent negative view of Nerjin.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48