Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51703 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Banished: 3d Village-builder with survival elements
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2013, 08:29:48 am »

Hey, I got a question: Will there be the ability to go First Person as a little guy, not to interact or anything, just to explore your village from a different angle?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2013, 08:48:54 am »

The vast majority of those answers make me very happy indeed :)

Two more questions for you then.  Will townspeople require/desire any form of leisure or entertainment?  Will there be any pets/guard animals in the game?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2013, 09:35:24 am »

It seems like the game's setting is going to be fairly realistic, but what, exactly, is the setting?
Hmm good question. I never thought about it. There aren't any mystical elements, but if I add combat it may be against non-humans....

Will this extend, Simfarm-style, to also include humidity or mineral deposits like in Tropico?
There are different things you can mine out of the ground, but humidity is not a factor.
Non-humans, would that be animals or monsters? from watching the video, I get the feeling that folktale entities might be fitting, perhaps even just as random events and not combat specific.

Humidity wouldn't differ in an area as small as the gamefield, only soil quality

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »

The vast majority of those answers make me very happy indeed :)

Two more questions for you then.  Will townspeople require/desire any form of leisure or entertainment?  Will there be any pets/guard animals in the game?

Thinking about it, if your people have a Happiness level that could be a way to work in those starting hovels and shacks. They'd work, but would eventually be replaced by proper houses that would give you more of a bonus to happiness. Assuming you have time and resources to devote to it, of course. If you're just struggling to survive on a challenging map actually upgrading everyone's houses would actually be quite an achievement.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2013, 03:45:49 pm »

I believe in one of his blog posts he didn't want the many versions of housing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2013, 03:52:13 pm »

I believe in one of his blog posts he didn't want the many versions of housing.

Yeah, his reasoning was that he didn't see a point in adding buildings that would be fairly quickly replaced and never built again. I'm just thinking of ways they might be reasonably worked back in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »

make the use last a lot longer, give that building type special perks that make it worth having around or make it fit into a rent system where different levels of homes are needed for different social and wealth classes?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2013, 04:15:06 pm »

make the use last a lot longer, give that building type special perks that make it worth having around or make it fit into a rent system where different levels of homes are needed for different social and wealth classes?

I think it'd be better to simply be more of byproduct of life. A shack is fairly easy to make and works to keep you alive better, but has few comforts. Making anything better requires both time and resources. People trying to eke out a life farming on a generally barren mountainside might have to spend so much time working on growing food that they can't take the time to really gather resources and work on a better house. Stonework takes a lot of effort, and while lumber is easy to work with it's not always available in large quantities and much of that may be needed for tools, fences, and firewood.

Getting better homes is more a consequence of being wealthier in some way. If you live in a fertile valley with plenty of trees around getting food and building materials is all easy enough to do that you can spend time working on a better house. Later, as the settlement grows, people like Smiths and Millers get enough food and other wealth from people that they can both afford nicer materials as well as spend time or money getting a nicer house built.

People who see themselves as 'deserving' a nice house might have harsher penalties for living in a hovel than a lone hunter or poor farming family. But I'd go Occupation->House rather than saying that a House is required for a better occupation. After all, a poor apprentice smith might take a job in your village just because it's the only option available, nice house or no nice house.
Come play Mafia with us!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2013, 04:30:24 pm »

Every time a new dev shows up on these forums they make the mistake of asking what features we would like.  As one, the DF forumites steeple their fingers, narrow their eyes and say quietly 'all of them'
"What sort of physics should we model?" "Physics." "What kind?" "PHYSIC!!! Quantom, mechanical, thermodynamic, it ALL better be in there."
ShiningRock...
Mate...
Its happening again, I am throwing money at the screen yet nothings happening...

You need to fix this bug...
I'm having the exact same problem.  The trailer is playing, I throw a twenty.  No controls come up.  I throw a fifty.  And still no controls come up.  All I get is the same preview.

And now a question of my own- What sort of thing will be in for players who have mastered the game?  Will there be some mode where we are basically guaranteed to die a horrible death, or a mode where we ARE guaranteed a horrible death? 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »

And now a question of my own- What sort of thing will be in for players who have mastered the game?  Will there be some mode where we are basically guaranteed to die a horrible death, or a mode where we ARE guaranteed a horrible death?
Maybe an eternal winter with a ice age coming? =P

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2013, 05:00:07 pm »

Color me interested. Posting to keep track.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2013, 06:49:32 pm »

Been watching on and off since the creation. PTW this thread, I love it when devs pay us a visit.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2013, 12:09:52 pm »

*snip* Different Houses

Size/occupancy differences, fit more people/families into less space.  For the good of the village.  (Slum city!)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2013, 01:52:38 pm »

This I find keenly interesting, posting to observer.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:22 pm »

Holy flying fucks of Virgin Mary.

I just noticed this is an Anno-DF crossover.
stfu and take my magma
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28