Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51641 times)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: Banished: 3d Village-builder with survival elements
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2013, 01:38:34 pm »

Considering the name one would assume that villagers are a bunch of exiles and when its proclaimed to be survival,atleast I would have assumed that they would start with barely nothing, buliding crapshacks and struggling to make a living and after some time develop into what is shown in the videos.
But I shouldnt be unreasonable, its a indie production and doing a cultural development curve would demand a lot of resources but right now its just medieval age village simulator.
Only the latest video seems to start out with that pre-built structure and the stockpile of supplies. If you watch the other trailer it in fact shows him having to build the basic storage and stockpile. I'm sure the full length video was just set up before hand to make it easier to show off.
I don't think that's his point. I'm pretty sure that he didn't really like how you instantly start making those rather spacious houses, instead of starting out with making sheds and dirt huts. I do agree it is a bit minecrafty how you immediately start up a farm and make yourself however large a house you want, but this game still looks awesome.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »

Well, I feel pretty confident that if I got a couple friends and we spend a few weeks collecting rocks and chopping trees, but the end of that time we could build a reasonably decent log cabin.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »

Only the latest video seems to start out with that pre-built structure and the stockpile of supplies. If you watch the other trailer it in fact shows him having to build the basic storage and stockpile. I'm sure the full length video was just set up before hand to make it easier to show off.
I don't think that's his point. I'm pretty sure that he didn't really like how you instantly start making those rather spacious houses, instead of starting out with making sheds and dirt huts. I do agree it is a bit minecrafty how you immediately start up a farm and make yourself however large a house you want, but this game still looks awesome.
Yeah. I'm not really getting the feeling that they've been banished(assumedly?) and in need to fend for themselves.
But as i said before there's a limit to what they can make and what they have looks good.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:36:12 pm by Ivefan »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:22 pm »

Posting to watch.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 04:51:51 pm »

I for one really hope to see oceans and coastlines, and rough mountain terrain. It's one thing to build on a flat plain with some trees and some rocks and maybe a river, and something else entirely to settle in a narrow valley or a rough, be-fjorded island.

If I can generate or otherwise create maps, and if those maps can be really, really large, then I'll be happy.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 06:15:21 pm »

watching cause yes please :D
i would like my Caesar 3 back

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2013, 07:52:59 am »

I for one really hope to see oceans and coastlines, and rough mountain terrain. It's one thing to build on a flat plain with some trees and some rocks and maybe a river, and something else entirely to settle in a narrow valley or a rough, be-fjorded island.

If I can generate or otherwise create maps, and if those maps can be really, really large, then I'll be happy.

I really hope the map generation DLC is afjordable.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2013, 11:05:50 am »

looks interesting. ptw.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2013, 12:39:20 pm »

I for one really hope to see oceans and coastlines, and rough mountain terrain. It's one thing to build on a flat plain with some trees and some rocks and maybe a river, and something else entirely to settle in a narrow valley or a rough, be-fjorded island. If I can generate or otherwise create maps, and if those maps can be really, really large, then I'll be happy.
I remember games befjor DLC...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2013, 04:59:05 pm »

I for one really hope to see oceans and coastlines, and rough mountain terrain. It's one thing to build on a flat plain with some trees and some rocks and maybe a river, and something else entirely to settle in a narrow valley or a rough, be-fjorded island. If I can generate or otherwise create maps, and if those maps can be really, really large, then I'll be happy.
I remember games befjor DLC...
Did you buy a DLC to remember those games?
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2013, 05:59:14 pm »

It'll take a minute fjor you to get the joke.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »

Which is odd...he is not new...clearly he has never seen Bay12's ability to start and maintain a pun chain befjore.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2013, 06:40:40 pm »

Someone invite the Developer over here NOW

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2013, 06:42:19 pm »