Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: Banished, a Survival Village Builder: Now with legible title!  (Read 51633 times)

ShiningRock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Banished: 3d Village-builder with survival elements
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 06:20:57 pm »

Hey all, I'm the dev.

After reading the thread, here's a few answers...

Beyond resource management you have to deal with starvation, education, overpopulation, disease, hypothermia, harsh winters and dry summers, mine collapses, deaths from working in quarries, crop infestation, livestock disease, etc. I plan on adding fires and a few other disasters as well.

In the one video, I did set things up to make the video brief. Normally you start with a little food and some tools - as if you were traveling and found yourself at the end of the supplies. In a hard difficulty game you can't start with agriculture since you don't have any seeds to plant - hunting, gathering, or fishing is required.

I had thought about having hovels or common houses that were easier to build, but there didn't seem much sense in building a small structure for a year or two just to replace it with larger houses for the rest of the game. Because there is no cultural development curve, I try not to add mechanics or items that get lost or stop being used because the town gets larger.

I plan on having different landscapes to play on. Probably mountains, plains, and possibly along the ocean. Each new game generates a new terrain. I hadn't thought about a landscape editor, but it's certainly something to think about. There will also be different climates scenarios - play where winters are longer, or summers are longer - really just for play preference and difficulty.

Anything else you want to know?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2013, 06:28:10 pm »

Wow, that's awesome. I'm almost suspicious given the date, but as long as you don't promise to have micro-transactions and DLC, then I don't see any reason to say you aren't legit! Thanks for the information!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

Always nice to see Devs show up!

How exactly are interactions with the rest of the game world going to be handled? Are we part of an existing civilization or are we kind of our own independent thing?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 06:36:05 pm »

Will there be goals/levels (like perhaps Beasts and Bumpkins) or is it a SimCity experience?

What prevents the game from getting stale once you have adequate skill to quickly build a thriving settlement? Is there anything to further challenge the player?

Can the townspeople be ordered around or do they have independent AI? If they have independent AI how far does this go? Will they have preferences for certain types of food? Will they form grudges and friendships? Will they earn a personal income (like in Majesty)? Will some become criminals? Will they stop and talk to other townspeople? Will they have spare time or just work endlessly like mindless drones?

Are you going to continue development after release in paid for or free expansions/DLC or will you move on to other projects?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:38:28 pm by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2013, 06:41:28 pm »

Fake Edit: Gah, ninjas.

You're asking for it, now!

I remember reading that you'd consider combat in the future, but it wasn't a huge goal for the initial release since it's supposed to be about you versus nature. As someone who prefers combat mixed into his games for the extra challenge and change of pace, could you expand on any of your ideas for combat? Naturally, I'd prefer no combat to a combat system that's stuck on just because violence sells, so it'd be interesting to see what your ideas are.

Speaking of which, I know it's a bit early, but what are your ideas as far as distribution goes? Will you be aiming for a Steam release? Will you be doing DLC packs? What's the price range you're considering?

Once you've mastered nature and have a stable economy going, what's the plan for the end game?

It seems like the game's setting is going to be fairly realistic, but what, exactly, is the setting? Is it on Earth? Are there going to be any mystical elements? Will there be different cultures are races you have to deal with?

Thanks for coming to Bay12!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2013, 06:45:08 pm »

Thanks for dropping by :)

Will there be a way to get alpha/beta access?  How open to modders will the game be?  Could you elaborate a little on the mechanics involving livestock and any other domesticated animals?  How quickly will people age?  How long do you see an average town taking to be 'fully' built?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2013, 08:42:12 pm »

Please keep talking about the making ot the game and the engine. It is becoming a good read for a yearning programmer like myself.

If I may add to the above related combat question, may I ask if you will start with combating nature, such as packs of predators or even pests who destroy your crops, or will it be bandits and aggressive neighbors?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »

Please keep talking about the making of the game and the engine. It is becoming a good read for a yearning programmer like myself.

Ooh, yes. You'd be surprised how many programmers and hobbyists would find that kind of stuff interesting. If you feel the urge to talk about it in your blog, even in just a very general and basic sense, you might be surprised at how many people read it. Heck, more experienced programmers might even swing by and give you some advice if you're in a tough spot.

Of course, if you're one of the guys who likes to share the product but hates talking about its actual production, you don't have to. :P
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:34 am »

posting to watch.  This looks like it'll be a very intersting game.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 01:40:32 am »

Ptw

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2013, 02:31:27 am »

You mentioned being able to pick changes to climate for difficulty, longer summers or winters and such.

Will this extend, Simfarm-style, to also include humidity or mineral deposits like in Tropico?

And will there be a random button? i would like a random button so I don't know precisely what I'm getting myself into with the new island.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 05:04:48 am »

Every time a new dev shows up on these forums they make the mistake of asking what features we would like.  As one, the DF forumites steeple their fingers, narrow their eyes and say quietly 'all of them'
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2013, 05:16:19 am »

You only want all of them?! I want the ones that are impossible.

ShiningRock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:10 am »

How exactly are interactions with the rest of the game world going to be handled? Are we part of an existing civilization or are we kind of our own independent thing?
Traders from out in the world will come to sell things occasionally, but otherwise the town is isolated.

Will there be goals/levels (like perhaps Beasts and Bumpkins) or is it a SimCity experience?
I'm building it to be either. If you're the player that likes achievements and preset goals you can use them, or you can just free play as you like.

Can the townspeople be ordered around or do they have independent AI?
They have independent AI. You can give hints that certain jobs are high priority but otherwise they do things by themselves. The AI isn't all that complex - They work if it's available, and otherwise idle about. I've thought about having different behaviors based on personality, health and happiness levels, but I haven't made a decision on it.

Are you going to continue development after release in paid for or free expansions/DLC or will you move on to other projects?
I'll probably do a few expansions, depending on what I can squeeze into this game before release - I have a lot of ideas for this game as well as some new games.

Naturally, I'd prefer no combat to a combat system that's stuck on just because violence sells, so it'd be interesting to see what your ideas are.
I don't want to go into too many details since I don't even have this prototyped yet, but the combat would be similar to any other profession - there would be sets of the buildings and walls needed to handle soliders and sort of solider profession. When things attack they'd handle it. Regular citizens would probably flee or help fight.

Speaking of which, I know it's a bit early, but what are your ideas as far as distribution goes?
I'm still figuring this out, but it will be some downloadable method.

Once you've mastered nature and have a stable economy going, what's the plan for the end game?
At this point you can work on making your town more efficient to grow even bigger. This gets harder the larger the settlement is because you've removed more and more of the natural resources you need. You can play harder maps with less usable land and harsher weather. I built it to be an open ended simulation so players can challenge themselves however they want.

It seems like the game's setting is going to be fairly realistic, but what, exactly, is the setting?
Hmm good question. I never thought about it. There aren't any mystical elements, but if I add combat it may be against non-humans....

Will there be a way to get alpha/beta access?
There will most likely be a beta, but I haven't decided on distribution yet.

How open to modders will the game be?
I never expected this question - now I see it all the time. As I've never been into modding myself it didn't occur to me to make my engine built in a way to support it. I'll think about it for sequels.

Could you elaborate a little on the mechanics involving livestock and any other domesticated animals?
You can only buy livestock from a trader. Once you have them you have to build pastures where they graze, and the herd will grow slowly over time. You'll also need a herdsman to take care of each herd. Different animals produce different resources. Sheep give mutton and wool, Chickens give eggs and meat, Cattle give leather and beef. You can use the wool and leather to make warm clothes, obviously you can eat the rest. The animals can get sick and a whole pasture can die out if you don't move them.

How quickly will people age?
People generally live 15-20 season cycles. They don't work for the first couple, and don't have kids for the last years of their lives.

How long do you see an average town taking to be 'fully' built?
I don't know - I've never gotten there. I've played an entire day, maybe 10 hours and not even gotten close.

If I may add to the above related combat question, may I ask if you will start with combating nature, such as packs of predators or even pests who destroy your crops, or will it be bandits and aggressive neighbors?
The game is basically combating nature - pests do destroy crops, dry seasons yield low crops. Combat may be added later.

Will this extend, Simfarm-style, to also include humidity or mineral deposits like in Tropico?
There are different things you can mine out of the ground, but humidity is not a factor.

And will there be a random button?
Every map is random, but I'll think about a button that randomizes all settings....

Every time a new dev shows up on these forums they make the mistake of asking what features we would like.
I didn't realize I asked what features you'd like - I asked what else you'd like to know.... That being said I'd love to make a game with everything in it, I just don't have time or resources to do so! :)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2013, 08:23:49 am »

ShiningRock...
Mate...
Its happening again, I am throwing money at the screen yet nothings happening...

You need to fix this bug...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28