Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: GAME OVER, Scum Victory!  (Read 64591 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: Not Ninja Enough at Level 4
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:56 am »

FYI: I didn't find the time for a reread of Tir's posts.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:07 am »

Brownout got my post.

Will resume in ~6 hours, have to sleep...

Extend (nearing Wednesday on my time)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2012, 09:29:58 am »

Mod: Can we get a prod on CA?

Extend.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2012, 10:02:50 am »

Hapah: So, basically, what your case on me amounts to is that I was "being cozy" with FD.  Looking back at my posts, I think one could argue that I was also "being cozy" with IronyOwl, who flipped town.  I've also barely had any (non-IC) interaction with Theodolus, and he flipped town too. 

So what exactly is so remarkable about my interactions with Flying Dice as opposed to my interactions with any other player this game? 

Why did I find his actions scummy on D3 and not before?  Because I was tunneling Deathsword D2, and RL-busy most of early D3.  D1 I was on vacation for most of it, and the rest of my time was sifting through all the newtells, ICing, and focusing on borno/DS. 

Furthermore, does it even really seem to make sense that Flying Dice (who is, IMO, one of the stronger players in this game) and I (who is an IC), coupled with the advice of a scum-IC would produce a series of interactions that anyone would look at and think "hey, those two look pretty cozy together"?  I can tell you right now that if I was on a scumteam with Flying Dice, I would have been damn sure to not be softballing him at all. 

In so far as your point about bussing him being the best choice in a bad lot, I disagree.  If I was scum, I'd be pushing for a no-lynch from the start of MYLO. 

[And, speaking of "cozy behavior", it's a good thing FD did flip scum (well, for multiple reasons, but bear with me) because if he hadn't and Theo was still alive, you can bet your ass you two would be on the chopping block for your fireside chat at the end of D3.  Don't do that sort of thing again, please.  You too, Theo.]

Also, clarification:  Is your bussing question aimed at me as a player or as an IC?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2012, 10:20:14 am »

PFP

Shakerag: I'll give the you/IO interactions (and all Tir's recent postings, as well) a look tonight.

Will address the rest later.

On the IC chat, noted.

And for the bus question: As an IC.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2012, 11:45:49 am »

[2] Shakerag: Tiruin, Hapah
[1] Tiruin: Shakerag

Two votes for an extension with two needed. Day has been extended to Friday 9:00 PM MST.

Mod: Can we get a prod on CA?

Yes.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »

Alright, Shake. Spoilered for organization. Included every post up until now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also find it funny that everyone else is pointing out CA as newbie town without...questioning him.

CA: It is MYLO once more, who are your top scumpicks, and who don't you suspect the most with reasons behind both.

Hapah.

(Woo!)
[...]
Theo: Hmm...

My top 2 scumpicks are FD and Shake. At the moment, I think Shake is just bussing FD. I'm more confident that FD is scum than Shake.

I think a bus is a very real possibility. And I think a FD-Tir or a FD-you team are possible, but not as likely as a FD-Shake team.

However. If I can't get you onboard for a FD lynch, I would consider a Shake lynch as a goodwill gesture.
I think he's scum at the moment, but I'm less certain about him than I am about FD. It's worth nothing that if I just held the course, FD would get lynched. But I'd rather work with you, if possible.

Why do you think a bus at this point is unlikely?
Why do you speak of this like a casual gesture? Why are you less certain about him than FD? You do state your suspicions, but the lacking object is on the why.

Well sure, but it cuts both ways. If Shake doesn't flip scum then we're well and truly screwed too.

And you've got to understand where I'm coming from too. I think you're town, but I REALLY think FD is scum. And considering that you were going along with his argument until it got shot full of holes, I have to be cautious.

Hopefully it will be a moot point and they will both flip scum.
It just doesn't look like either of us has the ability to change the others decision and, for better or worse, I'm on the side with the majority at the moment.

At least if FD does flip town you'll be able to go I told you so, lol.

What were you trying to say?
Gods I hate shuffling votes right before the day closes.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2012, 05:22:46 pm »

Off of work now, answer questions then reread.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:47 pm »

Tir: The (Woo!) was for two things.
  • I was right about the Flying Dice lynch. I was pretty certain, but seeing him flip Godfather was great. It's my favorite part of Mafia
  • I figured that even when FD flipped scum, I still only had about a 50/50 shot of living. No scum in their right mind would NK you or Shake, and killing me or Theo (who were active) would be a better play than CA (who isn't very active).
Maybe a double standard, considering I gave FD and Shake a little flak for the same sort of post, but I did it.

For your second quote (I think it broke): I was more certain of FD for two reasons. First, due to the force he put behind his arguments (This was minor. FD was very certain and very forceful, Shake didn't take quite as direct an approach, if memory serves). Second, the fact that FD seemed downright arrogant and/or condescending in some of his postings, which struck me as out of character. His response to my accusations (Reply #242) confirmed it in my eyes, where instead of trying to honestly address my points he attempts to ridicule me into submission (that's how I read it, anyway). Especially his last sentence towards me.

For the third, it's related to above: I viewed a FD-Shake team as most likely, but FD-you or FD-Theo certainly didn't seem impossible. If Theo had some major reservations about lynching FD I wanted to hear them and maybe switch my vote accordingly, but they never shaped up (amounted to "I think FD is scum, but I think Shake is scummier". Nothing concrete). I'm not sure if I addressed all your questions about this one, so please chime in if you want more info.

And for the last, I really don't like moving around votes at end-of-day, since it's probable that quite a few people won't be around. I didn't want to just lurk and ignore his posts, but I don't like talking when it's so close to night.

Another post later tonight!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »

PPE: Shake: Slight change to the question I asked you in the spoiler below.
Spoiler: Response to Shake (click to show/hide)
I don't get the same sort of impression from Tir's interactions with FD; the questions seem more pointed. Posting now to get my revised question out there, will try to answer any question or respond to any new posts that come in tonight (the only thing I have to do tonight is play EVE and have a drink!)

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:53 am »

PFP

Okay...

Once again I find myself without the Internet and stuck using this iPad that I am typing on. Which I have very little time in which I may use it.

First off, could everyone please explain their reasons for voting whoever you are voting. If you have already stated them then please quote them or direct me to where you stated them. I'm having trouble discerning everyone's reasoning for their votes and I would like them clarified.

Tiruin:

As of right I am suspicious of everyone. I've been focused on FD for two days and need to get a feel for you and Hapah since you both arrived later in the game. I need to read some more on Shakerag before I come to any conclusions as well.

Hapah:

At the end of D3 you stated that you believed Theodolus and I to be town. What would make you say that?

Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2012, 09:47:06 am »

PFP

CA: Alright. Any idea when you'll be able to be on more regularly? (I seem to recall something about the 16th, but no time to look it up)

For my vote: The short version is, I am voting Shakerag because I perceived his interactions with FD to be complimentary and, therefore, scummy.

As for why I thought you and Theo were Town at end of D3: I thought your actions were newtown (no offense) trying to defend himself with limited time. This, combined with the fact that the player I most suspected of being scum had been tunneling you since his opening post D2, made me think you are town (and I definitely think you're Town now, post-FD flip. I can't see any way that you would be his scumbuddy that makes any real sense).

I thought Theo was town based on his actions. He did a damn good job of hunting for this being his first game. I thought his questions were sincere, and I felt he was legitimately interested in finding scum. I wasn't sure enough to get on his Shake lynch, but by the end of our little discussion D3 (which I admit was a mistake, in retrospect) I was more sure.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 12, 2012, 05:02:02 am »

Hey there. Sorry for intruding - I just wanted to give a tip to the beginner players here that hasn't come up.

Remember that you do not need to lynch at MYLO. In fact, it is a much better choice not to lynch at MYLO if you aren't absolutely certain of the second Mafia member - because, as you know already, a mislynch means loss. If you choose to No Lynch, you will come to LYLO, where the Town will have one less suspect and thus an easier time winning - especially if the MYLO suspect ended up nightkilled.

Therefore, you should consider that course of action when Friday arrives and you haven't progressed this debate much further.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2012, 04:00:35 pm »

PFP

I guess RL happened to everyone!

Tir:
I know why I'm voting Shake, but I'm a little hazy on why you're voting him. Is it because of the link between you and DS? Or something else?

Lord: Howdy! I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I'd take an Extend if I had to, but I don't much care for a No-Lynch. It's a valid move, certainly, but I don't think it's the best move in this situation.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 13, 2012, 01:02:29 am »

CA: So does everybody mean you look at everyone with equal suspicion?

Mine stays on Shakerag because:

1. Contradiction.
2. This set of ideology, Followed by a fallback maneuver based on that flip. Also, I'm wondering why he keeps on linking people up for alignment determination.
3. My post above.

And another question to Shake
[...]If I was scum, I'd be pushing for a no-lynch from the start of MYLO. 
And what would make that particularly scummy?
[...]Chaos Armor, as I've stated previously, I feel is pretty likely to be town.
When previously? You didn't even question him at all during D3, until...now.

Hapah
As for why I thought you and Theo were Town at end of D3: I thought your actions were newtown (no offense) trying to defend himself with limited time. This, combined with the fact that the player I most suspected of being scum had been tunneling you since his opening post D2, made me think you are town (and I definitely think you're Town now, post-FD flip. I can't see any way that you would be his scumbuddy that makes any real sense). [@CA]
Musing on this thought, why aren't you putting the idea of a planned bus right ahead of time into the factor, and how doesn't it [in general] make sense?

For the third, it's related to above: I viewed a FD-Shake team as most likely, but FD-you or FD-Theo certainly didn't seem impossible. If Theo had some major reservations about lynching FD I wanted to hear them and maybe switch my vote accordingly, but they never shaped up (amounted to "I think FD is scum, but I think Shake is scummier". Nothing concrete).[...]
So on the time of dusk, why did you be all friendly (or sound very much like it) to Theo, then?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27