Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881610 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1755 on: May 13, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »

In adventurer mode, I managed somehow to consolidate handfuls of scattered coins into a single stack. How do that I that again?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 14, 2012, 03:48:05 am »

sell all the scattered coins to a trader. At he small loss, he'll make a fresh stack out of it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:46 pm »

So I have a secretive dwarf who is drawing pictures of "shining bars of metal" but my fort isn't set up properly yet and the caravan just left before his mood. I'm trying to make iron from limonite by choosing the "smelt limonite ore" option but can't get bars for some reason?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 14, 2012, 12:18:46 pm »

sell all the scattered coins to a trader. At he small loss, he'll make a fresh stack out of it
But that isn't what I did, and I'd like to replicate that because it would be useful for other things such as ammo and food.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1759 on: May 14, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »

But that isn't what I did, and I'd like to replicate that because it would be useful for other things such as ammo and food.
It would be, and if you knew a way to do it everyone would be very interested, as there is currently no known method to re-stack items.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: May 14, 2012, 12:55:25 pm »

I just saw a cancellation for a "Recover Pet" job. Is that like "Recover Wounded"? Does animal healthcare work now!?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: May 14, 2012, 01:11:38 pm »

So I have a secretive dwarf who is drawing pictures of "shining bars of metal" but my fort isn't set up properly yet and the caravan just left before his mood. I'm trying to make iron from limonite by choosing the "smelt limonite ore" option but can't get bars for some reason?

Is the job even being executed?  You've got a smelter and fuel right?  Are you getting any announcements about missing something?  Do you have a dwarf with furnace operator labor activated?  Is your stock of limonite ore disappearing?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: May 14, 2012, 01:15:28 pm »

And the ore is dug out (ie, you didn't just get the notification that you found it, because it's in the wall by where you dug?)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 14, 2012, 01:27:33 pm »

Fuel is charcoal or coke, not wood or coal.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 14, 2012, 01:48:37 pm »

Is the job even being executed?  You've got a smelter and fuel right?  Are you getting any announcements about missing something?  Do you have a dwarf with furnace operator labor activated?  Is your stock of limonite ore disappearing?

Yes, yes, no announcements, yes, yes. The limonite goes in, nothing comes out...

EDIT: Dunno what the problem was but I saved/loaded and dwarves just started hauling bars out of the smelter. Thanks anyways.

And he started the construction. That's one legendary crossbow-maker for me ^^
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:57:16 pm by Yovatsap »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 14, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »

Hmm, hauling is pretty weird in 0.34.08.  I'd say there are some bugs to be worked through.

I had a stack of prickle berries [5] lying in the open on the surface -- gathered by my herbalist -- which never got hauled to my plant stockpile.  They withered.  All my starting 7 have all the hauling labors enabled, and most of them were idle the whole time.  The plant stockpile had dozens of unoccupied spots.  (It's possible that the gathering was done while I was in the process of removing the initial surface food stockpile and designating the underground stockpile.  But still, someone should've moved those berries.)  I had at least one completely empty, non-designated barrel sitting in the carpenter's shop, too.

When I made my cloth stockpile, the dwarves brought the thread and cloth there, along with a bin.  They put the cloth and thread into the bin.  Then one of the dwarves hauled the bin full of cloth & thread up to the surface, and then back down to the stockpile.  I'm not sure if that's a bug or not... there might have been something up there that he was collecting in the bin.  But it's quite odd.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 15, 2012, 12:05:59 am »

Why does Aluminum have such a high value in the game?  I can't recall any references where dwarves found Aluminum anywhere near as valuable as gold, but maybe there's some book on dwarves I haven't read.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 15, 2012, 12:28:29 am »

it's much rarer than gold
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1768 on: May 15, 2012, 07:32:01 am »

Prior to the invention of modern refining methods, aluminum was rarer and more valuable than gold.  Aluminum is almost never found in metal form in nature, and aluminum ore can't be made into aluminum by simply heating it.  You need electricity to make large amounts of aluminum cheaply, so for a pre-industrial society aluminum is a rare and precious metal more valuable than gold.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:43 am »

My dwarves don't haul the stuff lying around into the designated stockpile. Any idea why?

What stuff?  What stockpile?  Is the stockpile full?  Are the dwarves busy?  Is the stuff owned by a particular dwarf?  Is it marked for a job?  Is it claimed by the military?
All kinds of stuff: Quivers, bolts, logs, gems, food. Stuff should be hauled to a custom stockpile, and it isn't full, it is nearly empty. Got 20 to 25 idlers and nothing of that stuff is owned by anyone or used in any jobs, neither is it forbidden.

As mentioned i'd check for stones on the stockpile, they block bins in my experience.

But i had an odd issue in my current fort where a single stone in a doorway just would not be moved for months no matter what i did or how many idlers i had. I had to resort to using dfhack to just destroy it so i could finish my king's quarters.
Sounds like it was claimed for another job.

If you do big construction projects this happens all the time. You tell the game to make 121 tiles of Slate floor, and each of the nearest 121 slates is reserved for a tile of floor. It will not be touched for any purpose beyond being made into a floor. If you happen to suspend construction on those 121 floor tiles you now have 121 immoveable pieces of slate sitting around your fortress. Dump will not work. Forbid will only ensure that when you un-suspend those jobs they still can't happen. Crafters will ignore them. The only way to do anything with those 121 pieces of slate is cancel the floor.

The same thing can happen if you're not doing construction because when a dwarf starts making a rok throne/mug/whatever he claims a piece of rock. If you suspend the job in the middle said piece of rock will be claimed for that job, and the only way to un-claim it is cancel the job.

So I strongly suspect what happened is you suspended a job involving rock, and then got frustrated and destroyed the stone intended for that job before you got around to un-suspending the job.

I'm setting up on a beach atm, so, the underlying soil is sand, but if so, the soil should had been more than just yellow sand. It could had been a mixture of clay, white sand, sand, and whatnot, but it beggars the belief that where my dwarves trampled the grass, the soil is just that. Yellow sand. And it beggars the belief that grass damage just happens to spread radially from the spot where the sand is, as opposed to along traffic paths.

Not to mention, sand is being tracked across terrain that was once claystone, at least, if my memory of the pixels are correct. Since the map hasn't had a glass industry and its in the first year, it can't have been sandbag dumped.
The sand has to be coming from somewhere.

IMO the most probable thing is that the local soil is yellow sand, and the dwarves are merely killing the grass. This would appear to spread radially from your well trafficked areas in the same way a contaminent would because it spreads the same way a contaminent would (by dwarf feet). It should be easy to check, too. [k] always tells you what the soil layer is so, so if you [k] the offending square and it says yellow sand AND claystone.

The second most probable thing is that you're buying bags from the caravan, probably to store seeds or something, and dumping the sand.

Nick
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 422