Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881578 times)

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1740 on: May 12, 2012, 11:09:04 pm »

How do I increase embark points?

I need to buy some good armor and weapons for roleplaying purposes but I have nowhere near enough points. I read in the wiki that increasing embark points is possible in advance world gen but it doesnt say how to do it

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: May 12, 2012, 11:43:58 pm »

Go to the advanced world gen screen, hit 'e' for "edit advanced parameters" and change the value listed for "embark points". It's like the 7th thing down from the very top of the list, right after the seeds.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: May 13, 2012, 03:29:04 am »

You could also put the dwarves you want to keep alive in a military, then set an alert to confine the civilian dwarves to that burrow and activate it, while having the military dwarves elsewhere.

Tried that but then learned that no one could pull the lever.  I ended up putting the ones I wanted dead in a squad and stationing them under a large drawbridge.  It took a couple of tries but eventually I got them all.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:32:48 am by Finn »
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: May 13, 2012, 10:02:09 am »

I wouldn't really be having this problem in the first place if I didn't have 52 fucking children...

I can't make enough clothes for them all and they all go insane from being naked.
There is a cap in the init.txt that can limit the number of children/babies born into your fortress you know.
Yeah, I set it to 0, but I was didn't notice the huge number of children until it was too late to save the fort from the children with no clothing induced tantrum spiral.

there is a rumor going round that setting it to 0 basically removes tha cap, since someone did that and is having births more than a year after. I'm not convinced, but on the other hand, if you have 50, setting it to 1 won't hurt
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: May 13, 2012, 11:07:22 am »

Thanks, and another problem: So I embarked on a volcano but the summit is really high. Im not sure if pump stacks can bring stuff down

Is there any way I could bring the magma from the summit down safely for my magma forges?

I would just mine the side of the volcano but I dont want a dead miner this time

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: May 13, 2012, 11:19:05 am »

find a useless migrant and let that one die, or use one of the suggested methods. If you want it completely safe, you can make a stairs with wealls all around it (also diagonal) up to the edge and channel the seperating block. The magma will flow down the stairs just as normal. I did that when I wanted magme for furnaces to have a different source from traps
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 13, 2012, 02:00:41 pm »

Thanks, and another problem: So I embarked on a volcano but the summit is really high. Im not sure if pump stacks can bring stuff down

Is there any way I could bring the magma from the summit down safely for my magma forges?

I would just mine the side of the volcano but I dont want a dead miner this time
I've been sing this method since 40d and have yet suffer a single death from it.
1)Dig all of the way up to the edge of the magma tube. Touching it so that the last square is a diagonal is best, but a straight line will work as well.
2)Place a staircase within a few tiles of the end.
3)Designate the tile for smoothing, then designate it for being carved as a fortification.
4)Before the dwarf can finish carving the fortification, designate an area for smoothing/engraving/carving large enough that the dwarf who is currently carving immediately takes one of those jobs once they finish the current one. You don't have to actually keep the designation there long enough that it gets done, but the key thing is that the dwarf breaching the magma tube immediately has another job somewhere else in the fortress. You can do the same thing with mining into the magma tube as well, as long as there is another spot to mine then the miner will leave immediately and not get burned. If there isn't another spot to mine/smooth though, then the dwarf will pause for a moment which will prove fatal.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: May 13, 2012, 03:39:56 pm »

So I got "ambushed" by a swarm of like 20 to 25 zombie ravens (quick question: are they kinda broken right now? my militia dwarf had no problems dealing with a zombie eagle and three zombie chinchillas at the same time without getting even scratched, but got killed by one zombie raven after like ten seconds). Five of my starting seven died and get zombified one by one. I only got one dwarven ale barrel and three turkeys in my "fortress" and now I consider how to plan things accordingly. Okay, the turkeys supply me with food and I probably got enough booze for the next one to two seasons.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 13, 2012, 03:44:21 pm »

Curse you RNG! :P

More seriously though you probably just got unlucky with the ravens (or got rather lucky with the eagle/chinchillas!).

Also just a note here, but domestic animals + evil area = crumbled fortresses. Seriously, don't bring animals with you for food if you are in evil areas. Unless you are very careful all it takes is one of your turkeys to die and reanimate, and then it kills the turkeys around it, which kill a dwarf, which kills more dwarves, which results in a growing evil ball of undeath overwhelming your fortress. I don't even bring war dogs along with me when I embark in evil areas, and one of my first priorities is locking up the two "pack" animals that I get for free when I embark.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: May 13, 2012, 04:05:05 pm »

Curse you RNG! :P

More seriously though you probably just got unlucky with the ravens (or got rather lucky with the eagle/chinchillas!).

Also just a note here, but domestic animals + evil area = crumbled fortresses. Seriously, don't bring animals with you for food if you are in evil areas. Unless you are very careful all it takes is one of your turkeys to die and reanimate, and then it kills the turkeys around it, which kill a dwarf, which kills more dwarves, which results in a growing evil ball of undeath overwhelming your fortress. I don't even bring war dogs along with me when I embark in evil areas, and one of my first priorities is locking up the two "pack" animals that I get for free when I embark.
Well I always bring 2 cats, 2 turkey hens and 1 turkey gobbler with me. A damn load of traps make sure that when they turn undead they won't be much of a problem. I don't know if I should play some more with just the 2 dwarves I got left and hope for some hunter/ranger among the migrants or if I should start again in the same region. The embark is perfect for my needs. Tons of magnetite, hematite and limestone right on top. And there is a sweet little hill and a river.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: May 13, 2012, 06:09:18 pm »

Why are dwarves in a hospital zone, with food present, with only medical labors enabled, refusing to care for a dying patient?

EDIT: They aren't even diagnosing her either. Every dwarf in the fort seems content to let her rot in bed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:16:38 pm by Fistbeard »
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: May 13, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »

that is your hospital? inefficient in any case. As to your question, it's an ongoing frustration. good luck

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: May 13, 2012, 07:06:57 pm »

Is it? I'm open to more suggestions - I barely touched 2010, so I've got little experience with the health care system.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: May 13, 2012, 08:08:22 pm »

This may or may not help in any way, but try designating the hospital as a meeting area.
Having a meeting area nearby speeds up cleaning, so it may also help with other low-priority jobs such as feeding/watering other dwarves.

Also: Make sure you have a well and available buckets, as dwarves will provide only water to other thirsty dwarves, and resting dwarves will only drink water .

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: May 13, 2012, 09:00:36 pm »

It turned out to simply be a bug - She wasn't properly resting, so no "FEED PATIENT" messages were going through. I just deconstructed the bed underneath her and she was moved to another, where HEALTHCARE went as planned.

My tengu lives to axe murder another day!
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 422