Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881596 times)

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1710 on: May 10, 2012, 03:28:17 pm »

You can look at the world and site populations in legends mode, but that won't tell you how many creatures there are living in your local biome.
I know it's possible, just not how. any suggestions?
No doubt this information can be extracted from the region data structures, the same way we do pre-embark prospect for minerals in DFHack.  But we don't know where the relevant data is hidden yet.  There's still lots of data fields that remain unknown. 

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 11, 2012, 12:19:59 am »

My dwarves don't haul the stuff lying around into the designated stockpile. Any idea why?

What stuff?  What stockpile?  Is the stockpile full?  Are the dwarves busy?  Is the stuff owned by a particular dwarf?  Is it marked for a job?  Is it claimed by the military?
All kinds of stuff: Quivers, bolts, logs, gems, food. Stuff should be hauled to a custom stockpile, and it isn't full, it is nearly empty. Got 20 to 25 idlers and nothing of that stuff is owned by anyone or used in any jobs, neither is it forbidden.

As mentioned i'd check for stones on the stockpile, they block bins in my experience.

But i had an odd issue in my current fort where a single stone in a doorway just would not be moved for months no matter what i did or how many idlers i had. I had to resort to using dfhack to just destroy it so i could finish my king's quarters.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:41 am »

Well, thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry that I haven't replied yet. Yeah, I will check for hidden stones and if that doesn't work I will take some screenshots.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 11, 2012, 02:29:10 am »

check the (o)rders screen. 

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 11, 2012, 09:13:00 am »

damn you worldgen!!

so, I'm done with my very liberally outright godmode-eque dfhacked fort that I made for undead research which involved large armies of dwarves and goblins. The wealth for inducing the high migrant numbers and massive sieges also attracted the king. I've gotten attached to the civ and the location thou, so figured I'd regen the world and try a legit fort there.

only modding i've got going on is mayday graphics, and nothing was changed  between making these two worlds...so what did I do wrong here?

Legends from before (region 8)...
   In 366 Tholtig Pulleypulled the equally boring became king of The Merchant of Targeting
   In 373 he profaned the temple of the god of war and became a vampire
   By 375 he laid a series of oppressive edicts upon the civ, likely in retailition to the general suspicion he;d caused by killing over 500 dwarves since moving to the capital less then 10 years before. :o

Legends now (region 2)...
   In 368 Rigoth Wonderwhip the plain old dwarf with an uneventfull past became the queen of The Merchant of Targeting and continues to be dull.

$ diff region2-world_gen_param.txt region8-world_gen_param.txt -s
Files region2-world_gen_param.txt and region8-world_gen_param.txt are identical
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 11, 2012, 11:21:04 am »

how does one prevent sand from being tracked all over the map? I'm in a nice forested/grassland region and my dwarves/animals are tracking sand all over my pasture.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1716 on: May 11, 2012, 11:36:09 am »

how does one prevent sand from being tracked all over the map? I'm in a nice forested/grassland region and my dwarves/animals are tracking sand all over my pasture.
Is the soil underlying your pasture sand?  If so, that's just due to trampling by the grazing animals and your dwarfs.  Using traffic restrictions can reduce dwarfish damage to grass, but nothing will stop your animals from doing that (other than slaughtering them).

If the underlying soil is not sand, then something is causing your dwarfs to dump sand bags out somewhere, making sand a contaminant.  Stop doing that; sand should be saved for making glass.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1717 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56:55 am »

The sand isn't getting tracked in.  The sand is being revealed as the animals you have pastured are eating and/or trampling all the grass.  Time to move the animals to a new pasture and let this one grow more grass.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 11, 2012, 12:00:29 pm »

Is the soil underlying your pasture sand?  If so, that's just due to trampling by the grazing animals and your dwarfs.  Using traffic restrictions can reduce dwarfish damage to grass, but nothing will stop your animals from doing that (other than slaughtering them).

If the underlying soil is not sand, then something is causing your dwarfs to dump sand bags out somewhere, making sand a contaminant.  Stop doing that; sand should be saved for making glass.
This can't be true. I had this same problem in the past where I was lucky enough to find sand on grassed maps. The sand would literally track and spread as a contaminant, even if I haven't set up a glass industry.

I'm setting up on a beach atm, so, the underlying soil is sand, but if so, the soil should had been more than just yellow sand. It could had been a mixture of clay, white sand, sand, and whatnot, but it beggars the belief that where my dwarves trampled the grass, the soil is just that. Yellow sand. And it beggars the belief that grass damage just happens to spread radially from the spot where the sand is, as opposed to along traffic paths.

Not to mention, sand is being tracked across terrain that was once claystone, at least, if my memory of the pixels are correct. Since the map hasn't had a glass industry and its in the first year, it can't have been sandbag dumped.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 12, 2012, 01:37:57 am »

-snip-

the history seed is the starting conditions. After that, history is randomle generated. If it wasn't, it wouldn't take so much effort from the game, right? then it could just mix and match and pull the right year out of it without going through all the years in-between. That's what I think at least.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 12, 2012, 01:41:54 am »

Are "hoofs" like feathers where they have no purpose in the game?

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 12, 2012, 01:49:02 am »

...so what did I do wrong here?

Forget to make a backup of the world before you start playing in it just in case? ;p tis what i do 1st thing.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 12, 2012, 02:19:47 am »

Are "hoofs" like feathers where they have no purpose in the game?

works for horn crafts
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 12, 2012, 02:50:01 am »

I'm trying to kill most of my starting 7 right away.  I built a bridge and lever, defined a burrow under the bridge and assisgned the Dorfs I want to kill to the burrow.  I expected them to move to the burrow but they remain at the wagon. 

This is all outside.  They have no labors assigned.  What am I doing wrong?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 12, 2012, 03:13:32 am »

I don't know about burrows myself, but you could just make em recruits and station them under the bridge, tjat's what i do for my vampires.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 422