Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881615 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1725 on: May 12, 2012, 03:32:14 am »

To be more specific, burrows don't behave like you might expect.  They just restrict the area where a dwarf will do a job.  So as long as they're idle, they're not likely to ever go to a burrow they're assigned to.  They can also wander out of a burrow if idle, I think.

So, you can assign them to a burrow and then give them a job inside the burrow, and they're likely to stay there.

Or you can draft them and station.  That helps, but stationing is imprecise to a small degree.  I combined the two methods to get two dwarves in the same room.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: May 12, 2012, 06:06:38 am »

...so what did I do wrong here?

Forget to make a backup of the world before you start playing in it just in case? ;p tis what i do 1st thing.

me too, usually. I'd only planned on experimenting with the zombie hordes  :P and then Urist McVampireKing shows up and cuts a bloody path through the overwhelmed gobs on his way to the booze and I couldn't help but like him.  ah well.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: May 12, 2012, 07:39:23 am »

I drastically upped the number of titans in Adv. World Generation because I wanted more dragons/colossi/rocs in my world (in a small region there were always only one dragon, one colossi and one roc and they all died by the year 75). Now the thing is it only upped the number of titans. Is it even possible to up the number of dragons generated?

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52:43 am »

You could also put the dwarves you want to keep alive in a military, then set an alert to confine the civilian dwarves to that burrow and activate it, while having the military dwarves elsewhere.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: May 12, 2012, 11:02:43 am »

I drastically upped the number of titans in Adv. World Generation because I wanted more dragons/colossi/rocs in my world (in a small region there were always only one dragon, one colossi and one roc and they all died by the year 75). Now the thing is it only upped the number of titans. Is it even possible to up the number of dragons generated?
Another question concerning megabeasts. In my current world there are like 7 to 10 dragons alive, as well as 7 to 10 rocs. While using LegendsViewer their location on the map gets shown as something along the lines of of Brandedguilds (Lair) Population: dragon outcast. So is this one of the possible megabeasts, that attack my fortress? Or do they have to be without a lair?

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: May 12, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »

Pumping is a great way in increase strength obvious, but whenever I have my dwarfs pumping manually they get thirsty/hungry, and I'm worried about them dying. Do I have to manually tell them to stop so they don't work themselves to death?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: May 12, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »

Nope, they will go eat/drink when appropriate. 

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: May 12, 2012, 06:16:12 pm »

Are Children safe from getting in trouble for committing crimes?

I have a couple of very unhappy children who keep starting fist fights in the middle of the dining hall, whenever this happens everyone nearby will run up to the Captain of the Guard with the "Report Crime" Job. After they supposedly report the crime, they walk away like nothing ever happened. This has happened multiple times so far and there is no record of anything happening in the justice screen.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:20:37 pm by Kepplerr »
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 12, 2012, 06:33:16 pm »

does the captain have an office? I've only had something like this happen while the capt was taking a nap, so no first hand experience
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 12, 2012, 06:37:56 pm »

Nope, they will go eat/drink when appropriate.

They will eventually stop pumping to go eat and drink, but be warned that they will pump until they get a bad thought about thirst or hunger.  You might want to rotate out your workers to avoid letting the bad thoughts pile up too much.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 12, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »

does the captain have an office? I've only had something like this happen while the capt was taking a nap, so no first hand experience

Yeah, he has all of his room requirements fulfilled. All he does is stand there with no job as half the fort reports the crime to him.

I think I might try to get an adult dwarf to throw a tantrum, if he commits crimes and gets punished for them then it must just be a problem with children committing crimes.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 12, 2012, 06:46:22 pm »

for me it was an adult demolishing some workshops and causing a few fights, but the capt. slept through it all
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 12, 2012, 07:02:46 pm »

I wouldn't really be having this problem in the first place if I didn't have 52 fucking children...

I can't make enough clothes for them all and they all go insane from being naked.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 12, 2012, 09:09:19 pm »

I wouldn't really be having this problem in the first place if I didn't have 52 fucking children...

I can't make enough clothes for them all and they all go insane from being naked.
There is a cap in the init.txt that can limit the number of children/babies born into your fortress you know.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 12, 2012, 09:34:11 pm »

There is a cap in the init.txt that can limit the number of children/babies born into your fortress you know.
Yeah, I set it to 0, but I was didn't notice the huge number of children until it was too late to save the fort from the children with no clothing induced tantrum spiral.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 422