Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372789 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3225 on: April 22, 2014, 08:00:44 pm »

Man, I knew I should've killed my 4 breathers and just have the lanius crew run the ship. I had 4 lanius, how often is that gonna happen. Could've just had a ship running in vacuum.
I've done that before, without getting any extra crew. Sysrepair drones were very helpful. I wish we could sell systems. Then I would have scrapped oxygen for mind control.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:02:46 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: April 22, 2014, 08:26:43 pm »

Clones remember everything up till their death, based on several event texts.

You also don't need the body to clone someone - for example the event where a crewman gets lost salvaging stuff in a nebula is cloneable even though you'd never be able to recover the body, or even just the fact you can instantly clone someone who died on an enemy ship.

Finally, they don't rely on previously saved backup DNA because we know from the disease event that it would just clone them with the disease, a previously saved backup wouldn't be diseased.

So basically.... it works by space magic and game balance.

I found suffocating the enemy crew my favorite way to victory. Any tips on how to consistently do it?
I also tried regular anti bio beam with great effect. Killed all but one of the flagship's crew.
I still lost. I so nub :v

I haven't really found a reliable way to do it, just shooting the o2 every time they repair it usually destroys the ship before they suffocate (especially if you have to keep the weapons down too). Things like breech/ion bomb use too many missiles to be worthwhile, and it's... difficult to get enough ion power to keep the shields AND weapons AND oxygen ionized at once.

Shield stripping + fire beam could probably do it (though they will probably die from the fire as often as suffocation) but fire beam seems to be incredibly rare so I've never really tried it.

I Had the fire beam once but it wasnt really that great if you want to set a ship on fire. I think hacking the oxygen and then ioning weapons is best, especially with missiles or bombs to break the shields

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:37 pm »

Is it just me, or is the Federation Cruiser C absolute trash, at least early game? Starts out with no weapons except a fifty-second-charge flak cannon that means nothing but stress for your boarders, of which you only start with one reasonable one, if you want to have a pilot, not to mention too few nonessential crew to repair anydamnthing without depowering half your ship for no reaosn with Zoltan bullshit. If you run into someone capable of ignoring one layer of shields within the first ten beacons (i.e. 'most everyone) you just have to grin and bear it, because there's no way one Mantis is gonna kill their crew or break their weapons systems before they missile you into oblivion.

tl;dr fed c hasn't got the offensive capabilities to disable enemy offense, nor the defensive capabilities to tank it. 2/10 would not unlock again
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:21 pm »

Then that means you messed up somewhere.

One thing I noticed trying for that achievement was that if the enemy hacked a room the doors would automatically close, causing it to fill up with oxygen.  If you're like me and you were running Lanius A with air in 2 rooms, then you wouldn't gain the achievement if the 3rd room reached full oxygen.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: April 22, 2014, 11:01:15 pm »

holy fucking balls who designed the zoltan c because I would very much like to shake their hand

shake their hand in such a way as to throw them into the sun

who decided that this would be a good idea

who

edit: as I was typing this post I had just started a run with zolktan c, hadn't even changed beacons yet

it started out with oxygen unpowered and now my entire crew are suffocating

i literally have not yet given them an order

editedit: I start a new run and the first beacon I jump to is a fuCKING PULSAR
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:03:41 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: April 22, 2014, 11:05:14 pm »

From memory, upgrading the flak gun once decreased its cooldown by an awful lot.  An automated flak cannon on a boarding-based ship is kinda funny, but not that bad due to the clone bay.  You can also delay the cannon by depowering it for a second or two, which drains the timer rapidly but doesn't reset it outright.

Zoltan are also dangerous boarders in their own right, now that they explode on death (with the clone bay, that's useful).  I sent the mantis and zoltan, and I'm pretty sure the explosion only hurt enemies.

I agree it's a bit slow and vulnerable at first, though.  I'd definitely expect some damage in the first sector, but it probably shines later on (I didn't get far, myself).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: April 23, 2014, 12:01:43 am »

holy fucking balls who designed the zoltan c because I would very much like to shake their hand

who

edit: as I was typing this post I had just started a run with zolktan c, hadn't even changed beacons yet

Zoltan C is a great ship, my first run with it was hard mode and I won.

Edit: OK, I guess I should explain why its great.

Its starting loadout is Engi A with essentially everything improved except its ion gun is arguably worse.  The "downside" is that it has only 2 starting reactor power, but that isn't a terribly bad weakness.

First of all, with its Zoltan crew in place  and the backup battery online, it has a total of 9-10 power depending on whether you man the helm.  But its even better because the oxygen, shields, and beam drone are all completely unnecessary at the start of the fight, meaning that you don't need the backup battery at all until either your supershield or the enemy shields are disabled.  This gives you about a minute before power is an issue at all, more than enough to cripple an early game enemy.  Second of all, the "weak" reactor puts you back only 30 scrap, paid in 10 scrap increments over the first 3 reactor upgrades.  And once you reach that point you'll be swimming in reactor power for the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:20:04 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: April 23, 2014, 12:07:09 am »

Victory with the Mantis, so now all that's left to unlock is the Crystal and the various B/C layouts.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:13 am »

who

Zoltan C is a great ship, my first run with it was hard mode and I won.

Edit: OK, I guess I should explain why its great.

Its starting loadout is Engi A with essentially everything improved except its ion gun is arguably worse.  The "downside" is that it has only 2 starting reactor power, but that isn't a terribly bad weakness.

First of all, with its Zoltan crew in place  and the backup battery online, it has a total of 9-10 power depending on whether you man the helm.  But its even better because the oxygen, shields, and beam drone are all completely unnecessary at the start of the fight, meaning that you don't need the backup battery at all until either your supershield or the enemy shields are disabled.  This gives you about a minute before power is an issue at all, more than enough to cripple an early game enemy.  Second of all, the "weak" reactor puts you back only 30 scrap, paid in 10 scrap increments over the first 3 reactor upgrades.  And once you reach that point you'll be swimming in reactor power for the rest of the game.

I got past the rocky start and things are going better, yeah.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: April 23, 2014, 09:14:37 am »

I just got to sector 6 with the Stealth A and no shields.
And now I bought a shield.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: April 23, 2014, 09:19:30 am »

It takes one more power than flak II, although it has the advantage of not losing charge if it gets hit.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:42 am »

Wow.  I had a run last night, on the Ggddamn Mantis A of all ships, where I ended up selling off two Burst Laser Mark IIs.  Because I found three chain vulcans floating in space.  And I had a Weapon Pre-Igniter.

Two chain vulcans is ... just sick. 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:05 am »

The most crazy thing happened today.  I docked at a refuelling platform and - get this - it offered me fuel in exchange for scrap.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:39 am »

The most crazy thing happened today.  I docked at a refuelling platform and - get this - it offered me fuel in exchange for scrap.
I don't believe you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: April 23, 2014, 12:03:53 pm »

WHAAAAAA?
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 243