Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372786 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3255 on: April 23, 2014, 04:54:31 pm »

Yeah, there are a couple of inefficient guns like that. Burst Laser Mk I vs Dual Laser, for instance. The Dual Laser is just flat out better (although I don't think I've ever seen it for sale).
The Basic Laser, Dual Laser, Leto, and Mini Beam are never found ingame. I think there are others too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: April 23, 2014, 05:22:03 pm »

Yeah, there are a couple of inefficient guns like that. Burst Laser Mk I vs Dual Laser, for instance. The Dual Laser is just flat out better (although I don't think I've ever seen it for sale).
Dual laser is basically a starting bonus to certain ships, same for Advanced Flak and the special one-power Artemis.  You also have the opposite in Basic Laser (strictly worse than Heavy Laser I).  But this is the only example I can think of where one buyable weapon is strictly worse than another buyable one.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: April 23, 2014, 11:02:14 pm »

The Basic Laser, Dual Laser, Leto, and Mini Beam are never found ingame. I think there are others too.

You sure about the minibeam? I seem to remember seeing those every great while...

Killed the flagship with Adjudicator. First playthrough on the zolten cruiser since getting the game back, and that ship scored every sinle Zoltan achievement on one run. Dual flack and halberd beam, plus the 30 energy to run a crazy ass number of systems.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: April 23, 2014, 11:05:45 pm »

The minibeam is only a starter weapon. It's not available any other way.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: April 24, 2014, 05:35:40 am »

The Minibeam actually seems sortof balanced with regards to the rest of the beams, it's odd that you can't buy it.

It might be that they're reluctant to put damage dealers at 1 power though, considering that the only other buyable one is Heavy Laser I.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:39:41 am by Leafsnail »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:56 am »

I just did the most overpowering run with Fed B.

Max shields, max art beam, max cloak, flak gun II, pegasus missiles, teleporter with 2 mantis, weapon preigniter and stealth weapons. Also full crew which I didn't lose a member.

Did the first 2 stages of flagships with no damage taken, and the last was just me all out trolling it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: April 24, 2014, 02:36:32 pm »

Well I finally got one of them there Vulcan cannons all the cool kids are talking about these days.

Floating in space. Alone. In sector 2.

On the Lanius B.

I ended the game with a Vulcan, advanced flak, two Lanius boarders, two mantis boarders, a cloaking device, and a weapons auto-loader. I didn't even have time to take out the missile turret in phase 3 before I had to abandon the exploding flagship. I also carried a Pegasus launcher through about half the game, never fired it once. It was silly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3262 on: April 24, 2014, 03:16:03 pm »

Does anyone know how on earth you're supposed to play slug a?

Okay, I know how, down shields with breach bomb or dual laser and proceed to kill crew with Anti-Bio Beam.

It just takes too long. By the time I finally get around to killing the crew the damage on the ship is pretty bad. It's also gg if shields are hit and engines practically don't do anything in the early game.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:18:16 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: April 24, 2014, 03:19:34 pm »

I actually, for the first several sectors, aim almost exclusively at *weapons* with the breach bomb, and then use my dual laser (also aimed at weapons, or medbay if there is one) to down the shields for the beam to get through whenever it's time to.

I also try to get a teleporter ASAP, combined with the anti-bio-beam boarding becomes super fun. (and you can take on very large enemy crews with just two boarders)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: April 25, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »

Just won with Engi A. Flak II and any beam is awesome.
Also fk mind control. Stage three controlled one of my boarders vs the other. Fortunately the non controlled one won and took down trilauncher.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: April 25, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »

Can't get hacking with cloaking and teleporter on the engi A, it turned out good anyways.
RIP mindcontrolled mantis you will be forgotten.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3266 on: April 25, 2014, 06:38:45 pm »

Well I just came across a very interesting message. This is the only instance in FTL I've seen where Earth is mentioned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Earth was invaded by Mantis?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:48:33 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: April 25, 2014, 07:58:17 pm »

-snip-
That does sound like something that would happen.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: April 25, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »

Well I just came across a very interesting message. This is the only instance in FTL I've seen where Earth is mentioned.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Earth was invaded by Mantis?

There's a creepy event where a Mantis tells you that "all humans in this sector have been punished for the Federation's infractions" or something very close to that wording.  So presumably the Federation won.  Not only that, there's this weird political web in FTL you get if you see enough events.

The Federation and Engi are allies in fact but not technically.  The Engi cannot afford a war with the rebels, while the federation presumably can't or won't fight the Mantis who are overwhelming the Engi.  The Engi also built an experimental warship for the Federation, while the Federation has Engi citizens, including some soldiers.  The Rebels also can't afford a war with the Engi, but they are still at odds and the rebellion tries to destroy the experimental warship by pretending to be Mantis.  The Mantis may or may not have helped the rebels with that, but probably not because the Mantis seem to fight everyone at the same time.  The Zoltan, Rockmen and Slugs are all neutral and separate from the conflict, for varying reasons.

I personally think that FTL is filled with "hero of another story" moments.  Some of the refugees and pirates you meet probably have stories just as interesting as yours, you just never see them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: April 25, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »

Yeah, there's a lot of backstory which isn't focused on but is present nonetheless.  Like how mantis ships almost always have engi crewmembers, and the engi sectors have a lot of mantis raiders.  One could even speculate as to why these engi seem loyal to their mantis captors (or dismiss it as gameplay or survival).  Reminds me of babysnatched dwarves coming back in goblin raids.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 243