Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372783 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3210 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:11 pm »

I've always figured the clone bay was some sort of consciousness transfer.  FTL is soft enough sci-fi for it to work that way, and it (vaguely) explains why some events can still kill a person even if you have a clone bay.  Also why there is a distance requirement.  And why anyone would be willing to serve on a ship that has a clone bay instead of medbay.

It would explain why the clone-bay being offline for too long after the person is killed (but it not mattering if it was offline beforehand) results in permanent death.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:38 pm »

I've always figured the clone bay was some sort of consciousness transfer.  FTL is soft enough sci-fi for it to work that way, and it (vaguely) explains why some events can still kill a person even if you have a clone bay.  Also why there is a distance requirement.  And why anyone would be willing to serve on a ship that has a clone bay instead of medbay.

It would explain why the clone-bay being offline for too long after the person is killed (but it not mattering if it was offline beforehand) results in permanent death.

Isn't the clonebay also psychic?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: April 22, 2014, 04:20:36 pm »

Ah yes, the Jimbot Army incident.

The party was too much for the Federation.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: April 22, 2014, 04:30:45 pm »

I found suffocating the enemy crew my favorite way to victory. Any tips on how to consistently do it?
I also tried regular anti bio beam with great effect. Killed all but one of the flagship's crew.
I still lost. I so nub :v

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: April 22, 2014, 05:22:19 pm »

I found suffocating the enemy crew my favorite way to victory. Any tips on how to consistently do it?
I also tried regular anti bio beam with great effect. Killed all but one of the flagship's crew.

Suffocating without destroying the ship? Ion. Lots and Lots of Ion. Lineus boarders and breech bombs help too. As does hacking the O2 system. But Ion is the best way to do it without taking a ton of damage in the process yourself while still taking systems down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: April 22, 2014, 05:32:06 pm »

Isn't the clonebay also psychic?

I'd say this is incredibly likely. We know psychic powers and mind-over-distance mechanics work in the FTL-verse thanks to the slug and mind control device, so it's very conceivable that the clone bay is sort of a last-minute yank of consciousness from the persons body via whatever method handles the slugs "detect life" situation. Note that the crew still needs to be scanned in first for it to have the physical body plan to print the mind into (as demonstrated by several blue events, where the person has to physically be brought to the bay to be scanned in), but it's also clear that the mind is copied over intact... though the process isn't perfect. So it's really two pieces - a machine that can print the physical body and also, however momentarily, hold on to a conscious mind and then shove it into that body.

This would explain why certain diseases might manage to permanently kill someone - anything that targets the mind would cause damage the machine simply deal with, since it can't make minds.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: April 22, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »

Clones remember everything up till their death, based on several event texts.

You also don't need the body to clone someone - for example the event where a crewman gets lost salvaging stuff in a nebula is cloneable even though you'd never be able to recover the body, or even just the fact you can instantly clone someone who died on an enemy ship.

Finally, they don't rely on previously saved backup DNA because we know from the disease event that it would just clone them with the disease, a previously saved backup wouldn't be diseased.

So basically.... it works by space magic and game balance.

I haven't really found a reliable way to do it, just shooting the o2 every time they repair it usually destroys the ship before they suffocate (especially if you have to keep the weapons down too). Things like breech/ion bomb use too many missiles to be worthwhile, and it's... difficult to get enough ion power to keep the shields AND weapons AND oxygen ionized at once.

Shield stripping + fire beam could probably do it (though they will probably die from the fire as often as suffocation) but fire beam seems to be incredibly rare so I've never really tried it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: April 22, 2014, 05:47:04 pm »

Hack the O2 system (the higher level the better), breach bomb it once it stops draining air, then insert Lanius boarders to keep them from repairing it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:50 pm »

They DO have to be scanned into the machine, you can't clone without that. Several events require racing the person to the cloning bay to scan them in before they die.

Also, I'm streaming!

http://www.twitch.tv/glyphgryph

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: April 22, 2014, 06:21:03 pm »

As Stealth B, for the interested.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: April 22, 2014, 06:55:06 pm »

Any chance of a lower quality stream as well? My android dies watching twitch at 1364x768 (or whatever native res is on your end). My PC is busted at the moment, otherwise I'd be playing it myself.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:27:24 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: April 22, 2014, 06:57:38 pm »

Got to sector 8 with Lanius A and oxygen never above 20% after the first jump. No achievement. DISAPPOINTED.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #3222 on: April 22, 2014, 07:30:20 pm »

Then that means you messed up somewhere.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: April 22, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »

Then that means you messed up somewhere.
You sure? I read the achievement was bugged or something.

Man, I knew I should've killed my 4 breathers and just have the lanius crew run the ship. I had 4 lanius, how often is that gonna happen. Could've just had a ship running in vacuum.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: April 22, 2014, 07:41:30 pm »

I really hope there's a Lanius C ship with no oxygen system.  Heck that might actually be a reasonable drawback to give the insanely overpowered Lanius B.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 243