Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372792 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3195 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:12 am »

Yeah don't do either of those events, they suck.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:20 am »

It doesn't seem too strange to me that a law like that exists.  Otherwise you could just have a whole crew full of the same person.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: April 22, 2014, 09:57:31 am »

The cloning law is absolute bullshit. If the rebels are destroying the federation, and we are the federation's last hope, then why aren't we still allowed to take drastic measures?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: April 22, 2014, 10:00:53 am »

If the nearest repair was only two jumps away, you had plenty of time to restock. Driving the Boss off from the base gives you 5 turns before you have to fight him again.

I did not know that. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I didn't immediately pursue and destroy the flagship after each phase.
It's best to wait at the base, because the flagship may jump to a rebel controlled beacon, and may have an ASB on the planet.

Flagship + ASB = bad news
The flagship overwrites ASB if you fight it at a rebel-controlled beacon.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:27 am »

The cloning law is absolute bullshit. If the rebels are destroying the federation, and we are the federation's last hope, then why aren't we still allowed to take drastic measures?
I imagine they've learnt about the potential issues with multiple living clones the hard way.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: April 22, 2014, 12:10:43 pm »

Ah yes, the Jimbot Army incident.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »

Or "who's the clone" shenanigans?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: April 22, 2014, 12:42:08 pm »

Also, remember that when you do certain crew death options, the clone retains some memory of the death incident. So, if you clone a living person, what happens?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: April 22, 2014, 12:48:10 pm »

Finally managed to get out of sector 1 with the Mantis A. The RNG just kept sending me against missile-armed automated scouts, who inevitably shot my weapons room right before I could get a bomb off in theirs.

This run is going well, though. Almost to the last stand and in decent shape. I have cloak, drones, Vulcan, Charge Laser II, and the small bomb for weapons. Combined with the boarders I've been able to pretty much tear anything apart I come across.

I have to say, I really like getting the decoy buoy early on. It's not quite as good as a scrap arm for reliably getting more stuff, but it about evens out. Only trick is to ditch it early in the last sector if possible so you can grab a new augment to replace it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: April 22, 2014, 01:19:03 pm »

Finally managed to get out of sector 1 with the Mantis A. The RNG just kept sending me against missile-armed automated scouts, who inevitably shot my weapons room right before I could get a bomb off in theirs.

This run is going well, though. Almost to the last stand and in decent shape. I have cloak, drones, Vulcan, Charge Laser II, and the small bomb for weapons. Combined with the boarders I've been able to pretty much tear anything apart I come across.

I have to say, I really like getting the decoy buoy early on. It's not quite as good as a scrap arm for reliably getting more stuff, but it about evens out. Only trick is to ditch it early in the last sector if possible so you can grab a new augment to replace it.

Im very certain that the game bases enemies on your weapon loadout. when I get the bulwark, the enemies conveniently have a ton of missile launchers they didnt have when I was in the  Torus, when I get in the Stealth A they suddenly have drones and beam weapons.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: April 22, 2014, 02:02:04 pm »

So, I think I'm able to reliably win on easy now, the last 3 unmodded games I played have resulted in my victory. Should I move on to normal?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: April 22, 2014, 02:05:52 pm »

So, I think I'm able to reliably win on easy now, the last 3 unmodded games I played have resulted in my victory. Should I move on to normal?

Yeah, I'd say so. Winning in normal doesn't take learning anything new over easy, it's just improving your prioritization and polishing the same strategies that worked in Easy to work more efficiently. If you're beating it in Easy, you've made it over the hump of "how to build a loadout that works", so the only thing left to work on is "how to build a loadout that works when I can't have every single thing I want".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: April 22, 2014, 02:59:35 pm »

Im very certain that the game bases enemies on your weapon loadout. when I get the bulwark, the enemies conveniently have a ton of missile launchers they didnt have when I was in the  Torus, when I get in the Stealth A they suddenly have drones and beam weapons.
It's just confirmation bias, you don't really pay attention to the weapons that don't matter to you.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: April 22, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »

I've always figured the clone bay was some sort of consciousness transfer.  FTL is soft enough sci-fi for it to work that way, and it (vaguely) explains why some events can still kill a person even if you have a clone bay.  Also why there is a distance requirement.  And why anyone would be willing to serve on a ship that has a clone bay instead of medbay.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:36 pm »

Some of the clone bay events do imply that actually (like the "Newfound respect for flames" one).
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 243