Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35

Author Topic: RTD Testing Thread: 5 Positions open. Science doesn't die.  (Read 59373 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: RTD Testing Thread: 4-5 Positions open. You may now assume the position.
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2014, 11:57:35 am »

So I'll get my gear in shape and start my own experiment...soon-ish. Just when I'll get all my other posts in gear. Soon-ish... :S

Picking a Rogue here, kisame--I'm ok with shifting if you want to be it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Firstly: I...don't know your 'original material' and am unsure whether to put that '6 points' under the header of Warrior/Rogue/Mage or...um. What stats are, actually.
No list of skills/talents? Oh dear me. If you're going freeform, then at least limit the idea-set. Next:
To qualify for a skill, you must have the stat it is associated with be at least 2.
With whatnow? Associated with...? So this means it is tied to something? As in, there are skills we can pick?
Huh.
I though I made everything clear. I'l try explaining it better here. Your stats are Warrior, Rogue and Mage. That's all of them. HP, mana and fate are calculated with your normal stats. HP is 6+your warrior, mana is mage times 2, and fate is your Rogue. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, it's my first time making a system or GM'ing.

Skills
Talents
Again, sorry for not being clear enough. If there's still anything that's not clear, just let me know and I'l try to clear it up.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2014, 03:41:55 pm »

Spoiler: Cog (click to show/hide)
How does one get skills and talents? Just pick one?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2014, 03:48:43 pm »

How does one get skills and talents? Just pick one?
Yeah, you just pick whichever ones you want. You get two skills and one talent at the begining.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: RTD Testing Thread: 4 Positions open. For SCIENCE!
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2014, 07:50:33 am »

Spoiler: Cog (click to show/hide)
That look good?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2014, 10:23:44 am »

That look good?
Yeah, everything seems alright to me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 25, 2014, 12:31:52 pm »

Operation Teal
> SO I'm blind and miss most of the stated rules. Sorry D. Paladin for that! :X
> Sheet done! Sorry twice for that!

Orange Experiment; time approximated to 24 hours from post.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2014, 04:00:47 pm »

Operation Teal
> SO I'm blind and miss most of the stated rules. Sorry D. Paladin for that! :X
> Sheet done! Sorry twice for that!
Sheet looks complete. And no problem about missing the rules, everyone does things like that ocasionally. Should I post a list of items you can take with the starting money?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2014, 10:26:08 pm »

I'm unsure if you should if the task is converting Tabletop > RTD.

I mean, given that I (should research as a personal task) the origins of RTDs...it basically did come from a tabletop (and other forums!).

So...your pick! ^ ^ As long as it forwards the experiment!

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 26, 2014, 07:47:18 am »

I'm unsure if you should if the task is converting Tabletop > RTD.

I mean, given that I (should research as a personal task) the origins of RTDs...it basically did come from a tabletop (and other forums!).

So...your pick! ^ ^ As long as it forwards the experiment!
Yeah, it's a somewhat strange choice I guess, but it's at least worth exprimenting on it, even if only briefly.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 06, 2014, 04:43:45 pm »

So, let's see. I guess I'm signing up to test a game here.

Scientist: Sean Mirrsen
Test Name: Ultimate Furball
Test Type: Combat
Required Number Of Subjects: At most 5, have 3, so 2?
Rolls to be filled: 2x Enterprising Aviator With A Deathwish
Tag: Limegreen
Goal: Full systems test for PvE Arena-type game.

Game was already started in Roller's Block, and three participants already applied. Continuing here.

Ultimate Furball RTD is a game about... a massive airplane dogfight. Yes, that's one of the meanings of "furball". I decided that there were quite enough mecha fighting games here, and went with the other idea I had. A game like Battletech, and not quite like Battletech. People fighting in flying machines.

The game doesn't have an end goal as such, a little like any arena game. Also a little like any arena game, the point of the game is earning points - in this case, kills. A little unlike most arena games, players aren't fighting between each other exclusively. The air is filled with aircraft of every make and era, and finding something to shoot at - or be shot at by - is trivial.

To start playing, make a pilot, and name a real-life combat aircraft you want to fly. There are three pilot stats. Piloting, Gunnery, and Awareness. Aircraft stats will be determined by me since, like Battletech, there's some balancing involved. Flying a high-tech fighter will make it easier to fight but harder to gain points, and the other way around.

Skills values start at 6. You get six points to distribute between these, but note that adding points will mean subtracting value. Explained below.

The pilot stats are "battletech" stats. They provide a baseline value that you must roll to perform a maneuver, hit a target, or notice an incoming enemy. I.e. you have a Gunnery of 5, and are shooting at a plane you're tailing. You get a roll of d12, and the barest minimum you must roll, in perfect conditions, is a 5. If your plane is damaged, visibility is poor, you are injured, or the target is evading, the minimum value to roll increases. If the value gets above 12, it becomes straight up impossible.

Aircraft will have individual HP pools for different segments (normally body, nose, tail, left/right wings), and several stats of their own. Make sure to specify the exact weapons loadout you want to have unless you want me to take my best guess. Ammo will be limited. Scores are per pilot, so make sure you can eject to fight another day. Losing the aircraft loses you one point. Each aircraft has a value, and to earn a point you have to destroy your own craft's worth in enemies - 4th generation fighters praying on WW1 biplanes will need a lot of time and ammo on their hands.

On aircraft stats:

Mobility is how well you can move the craft. Responsiveness is a measure of how likely your craft is to do what you want it to. Toughness is a measure of how unlikely your vehicle is to fall apart upon taking damage.

Mobility is not rolled against. It's straight up compared when determining maneuvers between aircraft, and various skill check values are altered accordingly.

Responsiveness: Rolled like an RTD check. Natural 1 is a failure, natural die maximum is a success, everything inbetween is neutral. If more than 1 die is rolled, the sum total of failures and successes determines result. Net failure may cause you to fly in a different direction, and will make you an easier target for the turn. Net success gives you a piloting bonus and makes you a harder target for the turn.

Toughness is checked whenever structural damage is sustained. 1d12 is rolled for every hit on the internal structure, and failure to roll equal to or under the Toughness value will cause a random Critical hit within the part. If there are no more critical locations, the part is destroyed even if its Structural HP is above zero.

All stats degrade as structural damage is taken.

To play:

Provide pilot name, and divide 6 points between Piloting, Gunnery, and Awareness. Provide a model of real-life aircraft you want to fly (you can change it later) and the weapons it would have. Not limited to fighters - bombers, zeppelins, and attack helicopters are all fair game if you want. You can start playing once I have the aircraft statted out.

Expect occasional boss battles.

Game Start Repost

You all rise into the air in your machines of choice, and take in the scenery. The vast morning sky lies open before you, dotted with the occasional cloud bank, a sprawling landscape beneath. And all across the sky you see tiny black and silvery dots, moving around in wide circles or darting here and there in straight lines, leaving contrails in their wake. The deep, turbulent hum of propellers and the distant whine and rumble of jet engines fills the air, alongside the staccato outbursts of machineguns and the occasional explosion. Here and there you see thick trails of greasy black smoke appearing somewhere in the sky, sometimes winding and looping, but inevitably coming to a sudden stop on the ground amidst a short-lived blossom of a black-petaled fiery flower.

It seems the furball is just starting.

Theo Dacabe (darkpaladin109): War Balloon
Altitude: 3
Not moving

You stand in the gondola of your war balloon, ready to utterly destroy anyone foolish enough to come into range. Nobody comes for you just yet, despite you being a pretty obvious target.

There are some biplanes duking it out to the north. Many WW1-era planes are fighting closer to the ground. You hear the rumble of many engines from above. There are clouds far to the southeast.

Captain Henri Dechoirs (Digital Hellhound): Fokker V.6 Triplane
Altitude: 5
Cruising at 3, heading North

You cruise at a leisurely pace, straddling the edge of a large cumulus cloud. You can see a tight dogfight between a number of high-speed aeroplanes to the east. Several large planes are flying in formation to the west above you. Many planes seem to be fighting down below, but you can't see them very well.

The bright colors of your triplane seem to have attracted attention. A pair of aircraft are heading your way from the furball to the east. It's hard to tell, but they may be faster than you. What do you do?

Jeffrey Gamble (Harry Baldman): Paraglider
Altitude: 1
Cruising at 1, heading North

You are flying slow and safe close to the ground, observing the battles in the sky.

Very few planes dip down to fight near the ground. There are several large furballs with many different planes up above: to the east, north, and southeast. There is some strong wind here. There is a large cluster of dark clouds to the far south. What do you do?

Basically give me a direction, whether you try to go faster or slower, and whether you change altitude. And of course tell me about whatever else you might be wanting to do. Remember, you get no dodge rolls here, in the classic sense.

Next Turn

Theo Dacabe (darkpaladin109): War Balloon (P:4,G:3,A:5)
Altitude: 3
Drifting at 1, heading North

The wind is agreeable, and you slowly drift over northwards, closing distance with the dogfighting planes. The planes are biplanes, but unusually fast. There is a group of around 8 of them, fighting against each other. [Aw.Fail] You can't make out their make or model, and they don't seem interested in you yet. But if they come at you, you have a feeling you'll be a sitting duck.

Many WW1-era planes are fighting closer to the ground. You hear the rumble of many engines from above. There are clouds far to the southeast.

Captain Henri Dechoirs (Digital Hellhound): Fokker V.6 Triplane (P:4,G:4,A:4)
Altitude: 6
Cruising at 3, heading West

[Resp.Success] You spur your machine forward and upward, gaining altitude with ease and putting a small whiff of vapor on the edge of the cloud between you and the incoming aircraft. You start to feel like you won't be able to go much higher than this, however.

[Aw.Fail] You lose sight of the two aircraft, the many wings of your machine obscuring much of the sky. No bullets head your way yet, however.

There is a tight dogfight between a number of high-speed aeroplanes further to the east. Several large planes are flying in formation to the west above you. You can't seem to keep up with them. Many planes seem to be fighting down below, but you can't see them very well.

Jeffrey Gamble (Harry Baldman): Paraglider (P:3,G:4,A:5)
Altitude: 2
Cruising at 1, heading North

[Resp.Success] You catch an updraft and ride it, easily gaining altitude.

The swirling mass of airplanes up ahead doesn't look a comfortable place to be in. [Aw.Success] There seems to be a whole squadron of WW1-era biplanes flying around each other in circles, machineguns blazing. Seems mostly like French and German machines, with an occasional Russian.

There are several large furballs with many different planes around: here, to the east, and southeast. There is a large cluster of dark clouds to the far south.

Spoiler: Player Aircraft (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 04:47:49 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 06, 2014, 06:21:53 pm »

Fighter Balance Testing Begins!!!!

Tiruin, Commander of the Bomber Wing

The lights in the launch bay dim as you, and your fellow bombers begin to slowly crawl towards the far wall's blast doors, the massive blast doors crawling ever so slowly open in the distance. You spend a few minutes checking gauges, and confirming that all your crew are fully supplied for the battle to come, to think mercenaries would come pirate hunting this far out ....

Ignoring the thought you focus on the task at hand as you being to speed across the launch bay floor, the blast doors fully retracted to allow a view of the black void of space beyond. What greets you and your fellow bomber pilots eyes as you exit the launch bay is three frigates arrayed around the asteroid on which your commandeered station rests, the lights of tracer rounds and explosions fills the space between the trio of ships where you assume the station's interceptors are duking it out with the merc dogfighters. Your mission is simple, disable the three frigates bearing down on the station before they completely destroy it.

Spoiler: Your Ship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bomber Wing (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10, Interceptor Wing Commander

A chime sounds through the cabin as your interceptor confirms a lock-on to the dogfighter weaving around in-front of you, and with a grin you pull the twin triggers on your flight stick which causes your two autocannons to roar to life. Rounds hammer across the surface of the dogfighter shearing off the wings and then tearing the cockpit apart before the entire fighter goes out in a pathetic puff of flame that is quickly extinguished. Checking your display you find that one of the Thunderstrikes in your wing is out, its locator blip blinks weakly a few times before flashing out of existence.

That leaves you with three interceptors to take on the eight dogfighters tailing your guys through the void surrounding the station, with what you have left you need to take out those fighters and keep the bombers and boarding vessels alive so they can do their job. If you don't the station is good as done, and your home is gonna go up in flames with it ...

Spoiler: Interceptor Wing (click to show/hide)

Kisame12794, Boarding Wing Commander

Skimming along close to the surface of the asteroid the ships under your command prepare to choose a target, you can tell from the looks of it that you'll need at least 3 of your ships to have any chance of taking one of them by force. The other boarding vessels are arranged in a v formation out behind you, their heavy prow rams painted a dull black for the most part though some have crude drawings of teeth or eyes upon them, their turrets scan the area all around aware of the danger that you all face. With all vessels together you have roughly seventy five boarders, if you can take even one of the frigates the chance of this battle coming out in your favor skyrockets, but which one to choose ...

Spoiler: Boarding Wing (click to show/hide)

Allied Forces

Enemy Forces
Spoiler: Frigate 1 and 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Heavy Frigate (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemy Fighters (click to show/hide)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 06, 2014, 06:42:24 pm »

All craft, head for Frigate One.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #372 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »

PTW. Didn't know this existed. Berry useful indeed.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 06, 2014, 07:04:59 pm »

I didn't know this existed either, I've been using my Derail thread for tests like these. Good to know.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:45 pm »

Enlisting, Sah!

Spoiler: Lt. Wilkson (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:00:44 pm by WhitiusOpus »
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35