Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148482 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1125 on: April 16, 2013, 08:29:47 pm »

I just decided to give Logan the one finger salute and chose to be done trying to deal with Sen's Fortress. Just getting into the  Old Londo Ruins. Any advice on getting past these ghosts? I'd rather not fight them. If I get naked, do you think I could outrun enough of them? I keep thinking of Rikki Tikki Tavi every time I go for speed. " A clothed zombie is a slow zombie. "
Here's a shortcut you can use to get straight to the boss. You an outrun pretty much all the ghosts in the area and get most of the items etc just by running through the entire place, though it takes a bit of learning of the ghost placements and which way NOT to go around them as you'll get stuck if you pick the wrong direction sometimes.

Keep in mind you have to go through Sen's Fortress to progress through the story, New Londo is actually pretty much skippable except for the boss's soul. There's really nothing important there.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »

Yeah but if you've given him a chance to do anything, you've already kind of fucked up. If you run up and start wailing on him, it's pretty hard to not kill him before he has a chance to do something.

Which is kind of counter-intuitive for Dark Souls boss encounters, I guess. Fighting like that against bosses is generally a great way to die.

But I remember when I fought him, knowing exactly zero about the fight going in, my first reaction was "Oh shit, a caster! Get in there and whoop his ass!" And that turned out to be exactly the strategy that was called for.

I suppose for a pure caster/ranged person, it's a slightly different story. Maybe. Either way he's still bottom bitch on the boss hierarchy.

I personally thought he looked fucking terrifying when I first saw him, not something I wanted to get close to. :P He reminds me more of an octopus than a necromancer, I guess it's the outfit.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »

Crap. Well. Know of any good videos on what to do for Sen's Fortress then? If there's no reason to deal with the ruins, then I won't even.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 16, 2013, 09:39:54 pm »

Sens' Fortress is bad based on how much lewt you want out of the level.

If you just want to get to the end of it, getting past the first catwalk and the boulder mechanism are pretty much the biggest parts. Running on the roof of the fortress, trying to not get crisped, is only a problem if you're constantly going back through that area.

Now, if you want all the goodies in Sen's...that's where things start to suck a little. Because you have to keep going back through the shittiest areas, time and time again.

First off, I wouldn't even bother trying to jump down to the lower ledge in the first pit room. There's three serpent lighting bolt guys there and it's just a pain in the ass, because the fall hurts mightily and they're on top of you in seconds.

Rather, I just started jumping straight into the pit and eating the cost of 1 Estus Flask. De-equipping armor also reduces the damage you take a little. It was so much quicker, less frustrating and ultimately cost me less Estus. Assuming you have the Rusty Iron Ring, you can take out all 4 of the Titanite Demons in the pit at your leisure. If you don't have that....I wouldn't even bother.

Second big thing is: bring a ranged weapon. Sen's is full of catwalks where you have to cross while there are ranged guys shooting at you, and it's a huge pain in the ass. So I picked all of them off before I started running through guillotine blades, with a guaranteed deadly fall on either side.

Third big thing is the boulder mechanism resets on its own. I think it's trigger based, and activates when you cross from one section or another, lining up to ruin your freakin' day. Listen for the sound of metal grinding to know it's turning. I ended up having to eat a boulder every time I made a run for the mechanism, even without wearing armor I never seemed fast enough to avoid it except by a collision glitch. Plan for this so you don't waste a ton of Estus Flasks repeating the exercise.

On top of the fortress, just sprint up to the final catwalk. There's several platforms where incendiary bombs come down, but if you don't stop, they'll be targeting the areas behind you.

Once you clear the final cat walk, there's not much more to the fortress. You might want to save all the exploring and looting on top of the fortress for after you beat the boss....the incendiaries go away and you can take your time.

I spent probably 4 to 5 hours on Sen's Fortress (those fucking Titanite Demons, for some reason, I simply couldn't beat the last two. The first two? Dead my first attempts. The second two I just kept fucking up and being dumb), so I feel like I know it inside and out now. It's the kind of place where being dumb or careless means having to repeat the whole damn thing, because if you come off those catwalks you're toast.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:53:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 16, 2013, 10:45:57 pm »

They don't even really need to dodge. They'd just need to....casually step sideways and watch him trundle on by. :P
I have a bad habit of seeing how many hits I can get on its head.

Assuming you have the Rusty Iron Ring, you can take out all 4 of the Titanite Demons in the pit at your leisure.
The last 2 attack at the same time; unless you take out the nearer one quickly or lure just correctly, it's a really tough fight.

Second big thing is: bring a ranged weapon. Sen's is full of catwalks where you have to cross while there are ranged guys shooting at you, and it's a huge pain in the ass. So I picked all of them off before I started running through guillotine blades, with a guaranteed deadly fall on either side.
I have never fallen off the catwalks because of enemies. It's really not a problem unless you hesitate for 2+ axe swings.

Third big thing is the boulder mechanism resets on its own. I think it's trigger based, and activates when you cross from one section or another, lining up to ruin your freakin' day. Listen for the sound of metal grinding to know it's turning. I ended up having to eat a boulder every time I made a run for the mechanism, even without wearing armor I never seemed fast enough to avoid it except by a collision glitch. Plan for this so you don't waste a ton of Estus Flasks repeating the exercise.

On top of the fortress, just sprint up to the final catwalk. There's several platforms where incendiary bombs come down, but if you don't stop, they'll be targeting the areas behind you.
+1

Also note the bonfire: on the roof, the first or second platform you're on (depending on how you look at it), to the right part of the wall is crumbled. Drop down next to or onto the bonfire.
There's also a phantom NPC you can summon; looking at the boss fog gate, go along the path to the right.
Now Sen's Fortress is completely spoiled.

Also note that you will need to go through the New Londo Ruins at some point. You'll have to kill an NPC if you don't have the Lordvessel yet.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 16, 2013, 10:54:02 pm »

There's a serpent throwing electricity at the last catwalk, and I'm pretty sure you need to kill it with ranged attacks. Sometimes you can just ignore it, but I've been blasted off a couple of times.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:31 pm »

Ah, I missed the Bonfire. Man that would have made life so much easier.

The last 2 attack at the same time; unless you take out the nearer one quickly or lure just correctly, it's a really tough fight.

Not quite. If you can fight the first one no farther than the 2nd pillar in the room...you can fight him solo. That really reduces your room to evade, but if you fought the Titanite Demon in Catacombs, you've fought in far, far tighter spaces as a melee.

My problem was I getting tired and, having never really fought them in the wide open before (I glitched the one the Parish, and the first two in Sen's against pillars for the most part) I didn't really know how to avoid his leaping plunge attack. I finally broke down a read a wiki article and practiced a few times, learned his the tell for the attack and finally killed the last one.

I have never fallen off the catwalks because of enemies.

Getting knocked off isn't the problem, the attacks don't have knockback. It's the health attrition. That lightning hurts and it makes you rush and do stupid things like walk into guillotine blades. And then you get knocked off. :P
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:09:15 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:30 pm »

Getting knocked off isn't the problem, the attacks don't have knockback. It's the health attrition. That lightning hurts and it makes you rush and do stupid things like walk into guillotine blades. And then you get knocked off. :P

The serpent people's attacks do have knockback, it's pretty minor though. It's only a problem on the really thin ledges, and when you're very close to the guillotines.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 16, 2013, 11:16:06 pm »

I have few tips as to how to do Sen's Fortress as a beginner, my method was to simply throw myself at it enough times I eventually memorized every inch of that place and could almost do the whole place with my eyes closed simply from muscle memory. The number of times I died there before I got the hang of it probably numbers in the hundreds, but now I have absolutely no problem with any part of the place except for the lower pit which is designed to be a death trap, but is survivable if you take it on in the right way. I've done it a few times, but it's far from a sure thing yet.

I will say this. Learning the way to run through it with minimal or no fighting is vastly preferable to trying to fight every enemy. For me the snake guys just don't give enough payout to fight them on a regular basis or in the conditions it tends to pit you against them. Also, learn to use the traps to your advantage. For instance, at the top catwalk of the first pendulum room, where the lightning snake guy is, there is a trapped pressure pad right behind him. If you run around him and hit the pad then immediately run to the side, the darts from the wall will kill the snake 99% of the time. I know I've done the whole run up to the roof without killing anything with my own hands and on the roof there's only one enemy I'd consider necessary to kill(and that's still arguable, he's just too easy to kill and too risky to bypass), and that's the crossbowman right before the boss entrance. In general, the only enemies I stop to take out, just for peace of mind, are the ones that end up following me right after the first boulder encounter that don't end up killed by said boulder or the darts in the next room.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 17, 2013, 12:18:24 am »

All this talk of Sen's fortress reminds me of my newbish days when I tried to run up the stairs at the second area with the boulder. Somehow, I managed to succeed after a few deaths though I'll remember never to do that again. Also, that one chest...

... I know I've done the whole run up to the roof without killing anything with my own hands and on the roof there's only one enemy I'd consider necessary to kill(and that's still arguable, he's just too easy to kill and too risky to bypass), and that's the crossbowman right before the boss entrance.

Funny, since I pretty much try to kill everything in Sen's fortress except for the 3 lightning snake guys and the Titanite Demons just below them.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 17, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »

Just completed all the other achievements and now "The Dark Soul" bugs on me. Anyone willing to help? I'm playing the Prepare to Die Edition with the DSFix and it's really pissing me off.  :'(

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 17, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

The hideous gaping dragon lies dead slain by my hand. The great zweihander is now +10 as well. Pyromancy has been discovered and put to use.

The next destination will be the hazardous catacombs a maze of tunnels and traps. Three necromancers have been slain and I hide at the bonfire behind the wall. Pinwheel shall fall tomorrow and I shall have the secret of fire.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:27:44 am by Dishwater »

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 17, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »

1) pinwheel
2) you don't need to go to catacombs for ages, not remotely worth it you should get out and go to blighttown
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 17, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »

I dunno, depends on what you want. If you're hard up for Demon Titanite, there's some to get there. And then there's just the simple pleasure of going off the beaten path because you can.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 17, 2013, 04:47:15 pm »

Demon Titanite that early sounds kind of useless to me. :P
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 127