Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148429 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1140 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:07 pm »

The same guy has a video walkthrough of Sen's Fortress, it's a two part video for the whole area. If you want to really avoid spoiling the whole experience I suggest trying to tough through as much of it as possible, with perhaps an exception for the fire bomb section starting at around 6:30 of the second episode. Whoever got through that section without any help or guide has my respect, it would take some real mettle to dash through that thing blindly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:58 pm »

Whoever got through that section without any help or guide has my respect, it would take some real mettle to dash through that thing blindly.

Seriously? That's, like, the easiest part of Sen's in my opinion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 17, 2013, 06:33:10 pm »

Whoever got through that section without any help or guide has my respect, it would take some real mettle to dash through that thing blindly.

Well, I suppose it depends on your build somewhat. I found all the combat sections exceptionally easy as a mage, killing the serpents before they even became a threat which just left some easy traps to waltz through. By comparison the fire bombs were instant death on an uphill battle with no visible enemy to kill/evade.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 17, 2013, 07:00:54 pm »

Well, I suppose it depends on your build somewhat. I found all the combat sections exceptionally easy as a mage, killing the serpents before they even became a threat which just left some easy traps to waltz through. By comparison the fire bombs were instant death on an uphill battle with no visible enemy to kill/evade.

There are combat parts in Sen's Fortress?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 17, 2013, 07:14:56 pm »

So i recently bought dark souls and learned how fun it is to be brutally mauled to death. I'm about to start the blighttown campaign, except i have no idea where to go with my character build. I chose thief to start as, except I've taken the path of a knight in the game. Heavy armor, kite shields, and big swords. And at level 45 I still use the drake sword, which is kinda lamesauce. I've been trying to figure out which weapon to choose, but  i'm still unsure if i want to push dex build or strength build :l
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 17, 2013, 07:21:02 pm »

I got hit once with a giant firebomb in Sen's fortress, then I just kept running and realized how easy it was. Also, bonfire.
Seriously, Dark Souls is not a game you need a guide for anything but the secrets of. The NPCs give you directions and even secrets. Even ignoring them, there are only so many ways you can go, and if you die in one hit and deal single-digit damage you probably shouldn't go that way yet.

Str build is better overall. Dex tends to deliver a lot of small hits, which is less effective against most enemies.
I recommend getting your Str and Dex to only around the requirement to wield your weapon of choice, then pump up End. Heavy armor helps a lot when it doesn't weigh you down, especially when you're inexperienced with the game.
Stat scaling will only get you better weapons than raw/fire/lightning at higher levels; again, I recommend elemental or raw weapons for inexperienced players.

My first victory was with lightning zweihander, shield, and full Havel's armor at under 50% encumbrance. It was effective throughout most of the game.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 17, 2013, 07:42:40 pm »

DEX builds actually have the added benefit of making spellcasting faster. It maxes out at 45 I believe. It makes DEX builds pyromancers actually.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 18, 2013, 01:52:48 am »

Gah now I feel like I have gone for the completely wrong build now going for a rogue style light build.

Also Ricky you owe me a butterfly still !!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 18, 2013, 10:11:55 am »

Got invaded for the first time, in Blighttown... He just kept spamming strong attack for most of the fight, would have been trivial if all the flies didn't help him.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 18, 2013, 10:27:56 am »

I feel really weird.  I did a full tank build, no magic.  The only pyromancy I know is Iron Flesh and I've only used it like twice before shrugging and not touching it again.

Full tank build has a fighting style almost identical to the Giant Guards, to give you an idea of my playstyle.  Primarily Black Knight Sword and Tower Shield as I just slowly and irresistibly push through areas.  Everyone's like "Use magic!" and I'm like *SHIELD* and then everyone's like "You have to roll to dodge these attacks!" and I'm just *MORE SHIELD*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 18, 2013, 10:31:59 am »

Dark Souls isn't a game you need a walkthrough to beat...but man can one say you hours of frustration and pointless killing of enemies trying to learn stuff.

Full tank build has a fighting style almost identical to the Giant Guards, to give you an idea of my playstyle.  Primarily Black Knight Sword and Tower Shield as I just slowly and irresistibly push through areas.  Everyone's like "Use magic!" and I'm like *SHIELD* and then everyone's like "You have to roll to dodge these attacks!" and I'm just *MORE SHIELD*

I'm doing basically the same build. But against large boss-like enemies, I'm moving away from using my shield. The stagger animation has gotten me in trouble before, and it seems like after mid game, your shield isn't good for much more than 1 hit before you need to recharge stamina. (I'm using Grass Crest shield, so while not as beefy my stamina regen is awesome.)

Dodging is basically a waste of time too except in a true emergency. I really just focus on positioning now and throw up my shield for those crazy huge sweeping attacks when you can't really see the point of impact.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 18, 2013, 10:37:04 am »

That's why I've been investing into a Tower Shield.  The stability reduces the stamina drain, and my Endurance is massive.  If I've got full stamina (and I always do, because I block smart) I can totally negate the damage from Sif's double-spin attack.  It breaks my guard, but delivers no damage.

I also faced the iron golem in a straight fight, and the only things to kill me have been pushing me off ledges.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 18, 2013, 10:38:38 am »

The first time I got invaded it was in the depths(yesterday). And he came at the worst time when I was summoning two people. We just pushed him into the corner and burnt/stabbed him into submission. This made invasion look like fun so I decided to give it a go. I invaded some guy with massive bulky looking armour and two small daggers which caused some sort of effect. He was attacking so rapidly that parrying him was simple I didn't even have to worry about timing. Then I gave him two stabs into the back and earned a measly 2000 souls. It was interesting fighting another person and I will do again after I find some more red orbs. This game just keeps getting better.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 18, 2013, 11:18:07 am »

The only reason I haven't gone to the tower shields is I still have delusions of parrying from time to time.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 18, 2013, 12:11:02 pm »

...Is there any weapon that has a reasonable change of hitting the flies in Blighttown? Everything I've tried goes under or through them without hitting three times out of four.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 127