Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 147923 times)

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Dark Souls
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:11:17 am »

The spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls, 'Project Dark' recently just got a new trailer and is now officially named Dark Souls.

Apparently they've upped the difficulty a lot, and are doing everything they can to make you die horrible painful deaths.

Also, instead of a hub world, it's apparently going to be a seamless open world. Wonder how that'll affect respawns.

Also the Atlus Demon's Souls servers are staying up til October, and might be pushed back further still.

Edit: I'm going to ignore that bit up there entirely and just put a playerlist here. d/w it nerds.

PSN:
JudeLumbajak (Lumbajak)
Zangi_of_Nydus (Zangi)

360:
PocketlessMan (Chattox)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:39:05 pm by Lumbajak »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:18:56 am »

Yea, I'm buying this.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 04:22:20 am »

Apparently they've upped the difficulty a lot

Now if only the gameplay was better... at least towards making me like it.

Which is what I had problems with in Demon souls. Sure the game was hard, but not only was it sorta dull... but in some ways it was tough because it was dull.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 04:26:23 am »

Is it another PS3 exclusive?

KPeriod

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:08:26 am »

I believe it's for PS3 and 360 this time.  This is one of my most anticipated games.  Demon's Souls is the best console game I've played since like 2003.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:17:25 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:25:19 am »

Looks good, but still not sure why there is no Demon's Souls 2 in the works..whatever.
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:20 am »

Looks good, but still not sure why there is no Demon's Souls 2 in the works..whatever.
Gives them leeway to change more things without upsetting people?
I guess mainly the lore behind it...  More of a pain to do a prequel or make a story for after... considering how they've pegged themselves in story/lore-wise.  And they didn't make a whole new world with the same name brand tagged on, which is fine...

Either way... Demon Souls 2 or Dark Souls... I'd grab both.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:00:16 pm »

THey no longer own rights to Demon's Souls which is why this game is pretty much Demon's Souls 2 in all but name.

Is it another PS3 exclusive?
It's PS3 exclusive in Japan but North America is getting a 360 port apparently. It's still PS3 exclusive where it MATTERS.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:16:47 pm »

Ah, well then that makes sense. I was hoping that the next game would start right after the events with the tree, at the end of Demon's Souls. Not a big deal though, I will certainly get Dark Souls
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:19:42 pm »

Hmm... oh well, I suppose that means if there ever is a Demon Souls 2... it probably won't be as good as the first. One can only hope though, however lame that bird may be in the gaming industry...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 01:21:52 pm »

Yea, I'm buying this.

+1

Ditto, Demon's Souls was loads of fun. Playing a DS like game on an seamless open world sounds very interesting, say, like a small TES but with a decent combat system and lore I can somewhat care about.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:33:41 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:37:39 pm »

The only problem I have with it not being a continuation of the first is that we won't get to see the mighty Biorr of the Twin Fangs or get to run around with Garl Vinland's spade hat.

It really wouldn't make sense though, as the last one pretty much canonically ended with WORLD SAVED GO HOME.

Hopefully they'll put in another character as lovable as Biorr though. ONE MORE DEMON DOUWN! GYAHAHAHAHAHA!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 01:40:37 pm »

Technically, it could also be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Depending on what you choose...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 01:42:59 pm »

Yea the last one pretty much told you that you actualy saved the world and it was alright after that, unlike most RPGs which love to pull a twist in the end. You either saved it or helped to destroy it. I'll miss Garl's armor too.

Anyway, I think the guys from gamepro and gamespot misunderstood the developer during the preview when he taled about the number of weapons in the game. Gamespot said it was over 100 weapon types, and gamepro said it was over 100 swords.

Looking at the trailer it looks like we'll be able to pull off some nice moves like stabbing an ogre in the head from above. Looks like they're also further improving on demon's souls combat mechanics, which were great already.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 127