Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 127

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 148485 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #1110 on: April 15, 2013, 08:15:09 am »

.... >,< what level do you reccomend for darkroot garden ? And that's the place with the blacksmith at the entrance right ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 15, 2013, 08:24:52 am »

I forgot what levels is best before going to places. You should be fine with level 30 or a +10 weapon there, a good shield also helps. The only thing you would want in darkroot garden is the elite knight armor and wolf ring or join the forest hunters.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 15, 2013, 08:45:00 am »

Ahh I see. Also I'm playing a rogue character right now so very quick ( although I tend to find my self using a shield alot to block right now :P can you suggest a weapon for me to try and get ? I have only just rang the first bell.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 15, 2013, 08:57:42 am »

If you want to stab things FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE, use the bandit knife. Otherwise, the balder side sword is a good solid DEX weapon from the balder knights in the church.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 15, 2013, 09:53:59 am »

I agree with Crimson, if you're going the standard way to Blighttown you will definitely want some moss to heal poison, which there's plenty of in Darkroot Garden.

I agree with the crowd. I basically did every single last thing I could prior to doing Blighttown. Some parts of the game get quite difficult if you take them out of order...but I hate missing stuff I might have used, so I pretty much went to every area to see if I could make anything happen. (Including New Londo Ruins, haha.)

Catacombs,depths,darkroot basin,further into darkroot gardens,the drake place and lordran(?) ruins.So I ask you which is the "correct" way? I suspect its the garden

Don't forget to add the Undead Asylum Redux to that list. Here's my spoilered advice:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, in equal total attack rating(AR), pure physical will /always/ deal the highest damage.

Unless your target has substantially higher armor than elemental resistance. I.e., the Anor Londo guardians.

Also to note is that lightning spear doesn't scale whatsoever with your stats. This means that you'll eventually deal more damage with, say, +15 Zweihander than +5 Lightning Zweihander if you keep levelling your strength.

Noted. Which is why I have a Demon Spear waiting to upgrade, just as soon as I get Quelag's Firesword and see if it ultimately will be better. (The Demon Spear has Lightning Damage and scales to 3 stats.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:31:31 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 15, 2013, 04:19:42 pm »

I have slain the evil moonlight butterfly.It was by far the easiest boss I fought and defeated on my first go. Dodging its attacks was easy and then I four hit the thing with my zweihander +5. Infact getting there was harder I think.

Now to take the dangerous journey to the asylum and slay the mighty demon or die trying. And after that stab the bridge dragon repeatedly.

Crimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 15, 2013, 10:10:58 pm »

The butterfly really is easy, especially if you summon a certain helper just below the tower. As for the wyvern on the brige, I've only been able to kill it with the Dragonslayer Bow. Never tried with melee.

In my game, I finally defeated Manus after dying 8 - 9 times. Again, the slow attack speed of Grant, fat rolls and my average stability Sanctus were my main enemies.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 15, 2013, 10:21:40 pm »

Melee is a crap shoot. If it randomly decides to do the back and forth flying fire attack when you run out to hit it, you're dead, period.

The other big one is when it leaps into the air and blasts fire down. Too close to the center and you get hit by the full effect and instantly crisped. Too far and it does its normal damage, which is a shit ton and will eventually overwhelm you. But in between those two there's a sweet spot where you take no damage.

So between the randomness and finding that sweet spot, it's a crappy fight. But at least it's close to a Bonfire.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:32:35 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 16, 2013, 05:15:06 pm »

The mighty bridge dragon has been slain.
I died three times and one time from somehow teleporting under its flame.

Killed the thing in about five power attacks. Got a slab from the asylum and cleared the depths.

Now for a very intimidateing looking gaping dragon.But only after I get large titanite shards.To adventure!

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 16, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »

I just decided to give Logan the one finger salute and chose to be done trying to deal with Sen's Fortress. Just getting into the  Old Londo Ruins. Any advice on getting past these ghosts? I'd rather not fight them. If I get naked, do you think I could outrun enough of them? I keep thinking of Rikki Tikki Tavi every time I go for speed. " A clothed zombie is a slow zombie. "

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 16, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »

Gaping Dragon is a putz. He's one of the most visually intimidating bosses....and also one of the easiest. As a heavy armor fighter, I beat him without taking a single hit. He telegraphs his attacks very obviously and mostly relies on running in a straight line for an unnecessary amount of time, to the point you can run alongside him while he does it.

He takes longer to kill than Pinwheel, but is arguably less dangerous if you're even half awake.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:11:46 pm by nenjin »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 16, 2013, 07:49:57 pm »

If I get naked, do you think I could outrun enough of them?
Probably. There's that ghost in the first chamber that may block the doorway. I haven't tried.
Keep in mind there is a shortcut - the ladder you kick down - once you get halfway.

He takes longer to kill than Pinwheel, but is arguably less dangerous if you're even half awake.
Nothing is less dangerous than Pinwheel.
Seriously, though, the Gaping Dragon can be a bit dangerous for - actually, no it can't.
Solaire and Lautrec can't survive, but they don't even try to dodge.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 16, 2013, 07:52:35 pm »

They don't even really need to dodge. They'd just need to....casually step sideways and watch him trundle on by. :P

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:24 pm »

Gaping Dragon really is a cakewalk, he's just way too slow to be any threat at all.

I know there's a running joke about Pinwheel being weaker than the asylum hollows, but he honestly can do a lot of damage if you let him. Getting hit by one of those blasts does hurt.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 16, 2013, 08:08:56 pm »

Yeah but if you've given him a chance to do anything, you've already kind of fucked up. If you run up and start wailing on him, it's pretty hard to not kill him before he has a chance to do something.

Which is kind of counter-intuitive for Dark Souls boss encounters, I guess. Fighting like that against bosses is generally a great way to die.

But I remember when I fought him, knowing exactly zero about the fight going in, my first reaction was "Oh shit, a caster! Get in there and whoop his ass!" And that turned out to be exactly the strategy that was called for.

I suppose for a pure caster/ranged person, it's a slightly different story. Maybe. Either way he's still bottom bitch on the boss hierarchy.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 127