Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 76

Author Topic: Up with Feudalism  (Read 74513 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Up with Feudalism
« Reply #1080 on: July 12, 2010, 11:31:49 am »

What do I actually do.
Just wondering.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1081 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:34 am »

Be evil.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 12, 2010, 11:48:42 am »

Weeelll... First up, this is Feudalism. We aren't exactly ones to be making overarching decisions for everyone. That would probably lead to us getting executed.

Although true that this is Feudalism it is also a game, at this point you all control the entire country and must make overarching decisions for everyone.
That made very little sense. We all have to make decisions for everyone? What if we don't like eachothers decisions?
Second up, you could give us a few turns to get settled before all hell breaks loose.

Maybe, but to what effect? God modding is already going on and we have a situation to distract them. (But you have a point <_< >_>)
I'm not sure how far you need to go to make it 'god modding'. It's not like we've got warriors with laser beams, yet. Besides, isn't the point of the GM (And execvtioner) to call out people who are gmodding?

Third up, a paragraph or few dot points per fief would do fine, as well as getting them to update their own maps and stuff. Maybe if we all had individual zoom-in maps, so that only we'd only need to update the map when someone made a REALLY big change.

This may work, but it is still a hell of a lot of work to do and it promotes god modding. Note that I still think it is a good idea and I only called it out because I want my list to be complete.
What if you just put a dot point with - 1. Construction complete on new stone wall at redship fief. Update map accordingly.
Note that I didn't really have a point here... I just want- yeah.

Fourth up, if you were lazy, all you'd need to do at all is govern the enemies, and watch for everyone's turns to come in before sounding a nice *ding*, so we all know to put in our next ones. Well, that and deciding between stickling points between fiefs.

This is going to far because two words. God Modding. I fear it and I know it will kill the fuck out of us if we let it.
This is why I put 'if you were lazy' at the start. Besides, God modding happens for two reasons. A. A player wants to cheat. B. A player gets his facts a little wrong. Rome wasn't built in a day, but there's got to be someone out there who honestly believes it took them two years. In any case. If we behead all alpha level godmodders, and berate beta-level godmodders, then that'd solve it. A well run forum game doesn't require too much work from the GM.

Fifth up, the enemy attack at a certain fief. So until missives go out, and reinforcements come in, rangers, border-less knights and the local soldiers are probably the only people who'll be able to attack.

This is why we need a action that involves a message getting out quickly to all the lords. See my turn anyway RP is nice but we do know what is going on, lets play effectively and than RP to make it make sense.
So, put bulletpoints with our updates in a spoiler, and then our fluff piece afterwards? That seems a fair deal.

Can we keep conversations such as this in the other thread?
Yes.

Well that was rather exhausting. And I probably got a quote wrong somewhere.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 12, 2010, 11:49:49 am »

Be evil.
Since I'm the only Dark Lord, I guess I must be an employee of the king to keep his five-star Fantasy Kingdom rating.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 12, 2010, 01:32:49 pm »

That made very little sense. We all have to make decisions for everyone? What if we don't like eachothers decisions?

No as in you make decisions for the kingdom as a whole.

I'm not sure how far you need to go to make it 'god modding'. It's not like we've got warriors with laser beams, yet. Besides, isn't the point of the GM (And execvtioner) to call out people who are gmodding?

True.

What if you just put a dot point with - 1. Construction complete on new stone wall at redship fief. Update map accordingly.
Note that I didn't really have a point here... I just want- yeah.

True.

This is why I put 'if you were lazy' at the start. Besides, God modding happens for two reasons. A. A player wants to cheat. B. A player gets his facts a little wrong. Rome wasn't built in a day, but there's got to be someone out there who honestly believes it took them two years. In any case. If we behead all alpha level godmodders, and berate beta-level godmodders, then that'd solve it. A well run forum game doesn't require too much work from the GM.

True.

Yes.

Thank you.

I can not really argue with you because I agree with what you are saying. On the other hand Barbarossa is the main GM and we need to leave the final say to him. Although I think I have a stone that will kill three birds with one toss. Here are four points for a way to handle this.

1: Barbarossa handles overreaching plots and kingdom wide events. These will be reactionary and proactive.

2: I make a list of fief level events and individual actions that are made by each fief. These will be reactionary unless Barbarossa or I think of something that needs to happen than can not be handled by point one.
2.1: Any ruling I make here are semifinal and you will not complain, you may ask that I or Barbarossa change them in this thread.

3: Any changes that need to be made will be made by the player or by me if I have time and than all changes will be PMed to me and I will merge them.

4: Any god modders or people who claim powers that are unfair will called out by ether me or Barbarossa, anyone and bring up a thing they think is abuse of power in this thread.
4.1:If you think you are not god moding you can ask Barbarossa in this thread to change the ruling, if he says no you can put it to a vote and if it gets past 60% you may ask Barbarossa again, anything past the first ruling is your responsibility though.

What do you guys think?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 12, 2010, 03:00:03 pm »

What powers does a Time Knight have anyway? As the Knight of High Noon, I ought to know what powers I have.

Unstable time loops.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 12, 2010, 05:46:36 pm »

Sure, I can do main events. You can do them Fief actions if you want.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1087 on: July 12, 2010, 06:36:17 pm »

I can "correct" god modding too :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 12, 2010, 07:44:36 pm »

Delightful!

However, having turn time as 'roughly the same size as the action taken'... isn't that a little bit... out of it? Maybe roughly the same size as the smallest action taken, but, I can't exactly send off my troops for twenty years, and get them back next turn. That's a little gomoddy.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 12, 2010, 10:54:42 pm »

Okay, so I think how it will work in the game section is there will be three parts of most posts:

1: RP. optional and should be in a spoiler. This also basically covers anything that is not covered by sections two and three.

2: Votes on what to do as a kingdom and how to react to what Barbarossa does. This should have someway to tell it apart from section three, preferably by making it bold. You can say something or just quote a plan by another.

3: What your fief does. This should have someway to tell it apart from section two, preferably by making section two bold.

Not all posts will have section two and three but I do ask that you still put a spoiler on section one.

Delightful!

However, having turn time as 'roughly the same size as the action taken'... isn't that a little bit... out of it? Maybe roughly the same size as the smallest action taken, but, I can't exactly send off my troops for twenty years, and get them back next turn. That's a little gomoddy.

This is a good point and true, although I think he meant the shortest actions, how about Barbarossa and me put a turn counter on each action based on resources and abilities and whatnot and revlative to the other actions going on and when it gets to 100% that is done. IE you do two things in one turn but one takes three times longer so one goes to 100% and gets done but the other goes to 33% and will take at lest one more turn to do.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #1090 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:25 pm »

So what's the minimum and maximum amount of time for turns? Obviously we're going to ignore any posts that say "I take one step to the left" or something similar. Otherwise we end up playing this out one second at a time. As far as maximum goes, I'm fine with no limit as long as you are actually able to do those things at the same time. Like sending a scout somewhere and attacking something else.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 12, 2010, 11:26:44 pm »

This is a good point and true, although I think he meant the shortest actions, how about Barbarossa and me put a turn counter on each action based on resources and abilities and whatnot and revlative to the other actions going on and when it gets to 100% that is done. IE you do two things in one turn but one takes three times longer so one goes to 100% and gets done but the other goes to 33% and will take at lest one more turn to do.

That sounds like a really smart idea.

So what's the minimum and maximum amount of time for turns? Obviously we're going to ignore any posts that say "I take one step to the left" or something similar. Otherwise we end up playing this out one second at a time. As far as maximum goes, I'm fine with no limit as long as you are actually able to do those things at the same time. Like sending a scout somewhere and attacking something else.
Good point. I expect that when we put down the bullet points of moves, they'd just copy them and put a (50%) or something next to them. As for maximum, if they're going to do something which takes 20 years, then I guess it'll just go up in percentages over the various amounts of time.

However, I think it'd be easier for Cryptfiend and Barbarossa if we only had a few things going on at one point in time, so we don't have lists of twenty or thirty actions. Maybe if we had a list of five actions being acted upon, plus we could have a spoilered list of things we've put 'on hold'?

Example.

1. Train orcs. (20%)
2. Catch imps. (60%)
3. Build orc pens (40%)
4. Build longhouse (70%)
5. Train elites (20%)

Spoiler: On hold: (click to show/hide)

Yeah, obviously that was twenty second thrown together, but hopefully you get the picture. Would that work, Crypt?

Plus, should we have player conversations and agreements get done over PM, and then just post the concensus in the thread?

Is it just me, or are these two threads really not jumping as much?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:44:58 pm by Tack »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 12, 2010, 11:52:09 pm »

Is it just me, or are these two threads really not jumping as much?

I lost interest when we were suddenly controlling the whole kingdom at once rather than a fief or our own units. Plus so far all there is to react to is "some bad guys appear."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:33 pm »

Same, kinda. I was thinking we could've have a civil clash, but that ruins it in certain ways, too.

But in the new rules, at least we get to work on our own stuff as well.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 13, 2010, 01:01:16 am »

Yes it is hard to make a game and than the rules. I think any none RP conversations should be on this thread.

I don't particularly care how much stuff you try to do at once but if you send your entire population to build say a wall and than send your entire population to build fleet of boats don't except any boats to be built.

It is late here as you can most likely tell from this post so I will most likely be getting my part of the turn in soon. Also I do think that perhaps things will cool down after this frist attack, for all we know it is a random scouting party that the other kingdom does not even know is here.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 76