Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92675 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; waiting for Civs)
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 01:46:37 pm »

I opt for yellow, then.
Thanks. That should work, and will be on the first map update. Any opinions on the starting position?

Here's a sample turn, using the Haskanara as an example:

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

Some roleplaying text

OOC Actions:

1) Work Tile  1 - Plains/River (3 food)
2) Work Tile  2- Plains/River (3 food)
3) Work Tile  5 - Forest (1 food, 1 wood)
4) Work Tile  7 - Plains/River (3 food)
5) Work Tile 15 - Forest (1 food, 1 wood)
6) Work Tile 16 - Forest (1 food, 1 wood)
Subtotal: +12 food, +3 wood

7, 8 ) Build Fishing Wharf on tile 3 (-2 wood; complete for next turn)

9) Partially Build Fishing Wharf on tile 4 (-1 wood; 1 wood and 1 labor still needed)

10, 11) Research Farming

Labor used: 11/11

Food produced 12/ Food eaten 10

Granary: 2 food

Warehouse: -

Note that you can partially build buildings and terrain improvements. Every building and improvement grants its benefit the turn after all its costs have been paid. Similarly, the benefits of technology, if successfully researched, becomes available after the turn you assigned to the labor to research it. Units can't take active commands the turn you create them or outfit them with new equipment, but they can defend if necessary.
In this example, the fishing wharf on tile 3 would be usable on turn 2, but the one on tile 4 wouldn't be. If the research for farming were successful, the Haskanara could start building irrigations on turn 2 as well.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 06:56:12 pm »

Er, I assume my "irrigation" technology is actually the "farming" technology? Irrigation doesn't exist as a tech.

Anyway, here's my turn.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 07:04:35 pm »

I would probably appreciate a tad less forest on my area, since unlike Haika i can't convert wood into stone, but then again i can convert labour into wood or stone, so ~

A few more plains tiles would be nice though :D

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 07:21:02 pm »

Don't know if I'm still counted as in or not, but if I am I have to withdraw. Just not enough time. Sorry.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 05:10:58 am »

Actually, the Haskanara is a bit OP compared to others, with two straight-up bonuses without any drawbacks. Slyphia seems to be a bit on back heels. I understand that having an army that can be conjured as long as I can feed my people is on the strong side, but this will even out fast... Like playing Crete in (boardgame) Civilization.

Try to use diplomacy style to make things easier.

Spoiler: kiDano 1 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:48:47 am by evilcherry »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 05:33:22 am »

Don't know if I'm still counted as in or not, but if I am I have to withdraw. Just not enough time. Sorry.
Sorry to hear that, but it's understandable. We'll start with five then when I put the game thread up.

I would probably appreciate a tad less forest on my area, since unlike Haika i can't convert wood into stone, but then again i can convert labour into wood or stone, so ~

A few more plains tiles would be nice though :D
I think that I can do.

Er, I assume my "irrigation" technology is actually the "farming" technology? Irrigation doesn't exist as a tech.
Oops, yes, that'll be fixed in the game thread.

Everyone: I appreciate the enthusiasm in posting turns, but I'll put up a separate game thread later today. Also, I would like you to name your leaders, and to put at least a little flavor text into the turn - it doesn't have to be long, and it'll help in a few regards. We've got awesome civilizations for this game, and I'd like to see their potential realized.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2010, 07:56:38 am »

Actually, the Haskanara is a bit OP compared to others, with two straight-up bonuses without any drawbacks. Slyphia seems to be a bit on back heels. I understand that having an army that can be conjured as long as I can feed my people is on the strong side, but this will even out fast... Like playing Crete in (boardgame) Civilization.

Try to use diplomacy style to make things easier.

You've got one bonus (Giants) and one drawback (No Spirituality from Tombs). The Skellingtons are a nice alternative to normal troops, but they're weaker and cost a unit of magic resource (which you don't know what it actually is yet)

I would say i've got one of the more powerful races, 50% damage immunity and conversion of labour into stone or wood is pretty damn powerful (although i do eat a few nasty drawbacks for those advantages) and Haika can convert Wood into Stone, and considering he has like a dozen Forest tiles that'll be a big boon.

All the races seem around about even to me; the races with the more powerful abilities also have greater weaknesses, while the races with less powerful abilities don't have as many weaknesses to exploit.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 08:57:19 am »

I'll wait a bit to see if there are any suggestions on whether there are any balance issues to fix, and how. I didn't choose any of the traits lightly, and while I do hope that they are relatively balanced, I'd like to hear any concerns. I do think that evilcherry may be selling the Slyphia short. The Haskanara... I guess they might be a bit over the "curve", but they have fewer nonfood resource hexes than most other players (1 mountain, 2 hills, 3 forests) as well. The Sidhe and the Kodama have similarly few mountains and hills, but more forests, while the anaNoku have the same number of forests, but more hills and mountains. Skethorum and Melia also have rather short rivers, though Melia is at a bit more of an disadvantage here.

The skeletons can be created without the magical resource, by the way. Also, thanks for reminding me, obviously skeletons don't eat, but they do need the normal upkeep.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 09:01:24 am »

Will you post a link to the game thread when you start it?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 09:14:48 am »

Nope, I'll hide it away so no one will see it.  :P

Yes, don't worry about that. I'll make a new post and edit the first post here, but I'll reserve the first three posts for rules, reference, and status, so if you see it before all are in, please don't post then.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 01:31:06 pm »

Game thread is here.

Remember, for the first turn, most civilizations have 10 labor available, and need 10 units of food. The Haskanara have 11 points of labor available.

Edit:
(I think that's all correct, the luxuries I have are a little confusing, as I have 10 from the shrine, plus another 50% from the leader, and I don't think I have any actual resources yet. So will have to let you deal with that. Let me know if it changes production for next turn)
First of, the Hall of Learning won't be ready until next year, so you can't do research yet.
Regarding luxuries, Spirituality is pretty much the easiest luxury to get - if you have the Shrine (or Tombs, or whatever), you get Spirituality automatically. The high priest increases that spirituality by 50%, meaning that you automatically have 15 spirituality, more than enough for an increase in Morale. That will affect your population growth for the next year.
Regarding food, your production each year is multiplied by 1.2, and rounded down. So, if your workers would gather 9 units of food, you get 10 food thanks to the master farmer (or whatever similar occupation you want the leader to have). Note that without a granary, extra food is likely wasted.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:14:07 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game starts!)
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 05:20:49 pm »

ok then, I'll have to edit my turn actions then, as I have 3-4 units no longer doing anything.

Also, kinda lost on how the clothing workshop and animal taming helps me, heh Dosen't seem to fit in with my theme. XD Such a pain that forests don't give me extra food(hint hint) >.>
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2010, 05:41:31 pm »

Such a pain that forests don't give me extra food(hint hint) >.>

Yeah, but then they'd literally give you everything you needed. Maybe a way to gather more food by getting less wood?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2010, 06:09:22 pm »

What can I use gold for?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2010, 06:46:17 pm »

ok, I've updated my turn, still hope it's correct.

As to having the forests give me more, I'll happily reduce food on other hexes, or say disalowing farms on plains. I'd like to think my tree spirits are dependant more on forest tiles.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 65