Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92679 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Just do normal men, like me.
Or dwarves, or elves. Doesn't really matter.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Or ask me for ideas. Tentacled gibbons, razor elves, anthropomorphic mantis shrimp... I can probably inspire you to think of something you want.  ;D
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Or you can look at what concepts are currently not filled. Warmongers, magical affinity, religious beliefs...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems like we go through alot of these tribal and civ games lately. Hard to keep them alive.

Anyway, if there's still room for a player slot here, I'll sign up, and add some info later when I'm more awake.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Yep, there's still room. You'd be the fifth player out of a possible six. We can even start out with five civilizations.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

/IN

Always wanted to play one of these.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Good. Now we just have to wait for the other civilizations to be written. :)
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

Gigawall of Text, I Choose You!

Civ Name: Elphamia
City Name: Faerban
Color: Teal

Race: Seelie and Unseelie (collectively known as Sidhe), The Elphamian court is split between these two age-old enemies forced together. The Seelie are the fallen remenants of the Divine Host, some would call them angels, others would simply call them powerful. Whatever their specific origins, the Seelie all share one thing in common; they were once great, and have fallen far. This fall has forever marked them, for they appear as little more than gold-hued ghosts, silhouettes of humanoid creatures that glow softly in an echo to their heritage.
The Unseelie, by comparison share a more Unholy origin. Some would name them Demons, others would name them Fallen Angels, whatever the specifics, they too share one thing in common; they were once beings of great power and evil, and in the final hours of the Old World, they fled. The Unseelie bear similar markings to the Seelie, but where the wraithlike Seelie are humanoid in shape and glow with soft golden light, the Unseelie are far more beastial, and burn with a fierce cold.
Theme: Seasonal, Inhuman, Elemental
Description: Elphamia is split in two by the Seelie and Unseelie courts. Each being most active in one part of the year, while the two races share more than a little animosity to each other, they recognise more in common with their disliked kin than with any of the other races. Inhuman in origin and inhuman in morals, both Seelie and Unseelie hold much alike and differ mostly in their application.
During the Spring and Summer, the Seelie Court waxes, while the Unseelie Court wanes. The Seelie are kinder and more generous than their counterparts, but still quick to anger. The Seelie Court oversees the more mundane affairs of the realm, planning ahead and ensuring that the economic welfare of Elphamia remains uncompromised.
During the Autumn and Winter, the power of the Unseelie Court grows. As alien and emotionless as their Seelie kin, but far colder and crueler, the Unseelie Court handles the military matters. It is the Unseelie who plan campaigns against their enemies, and Unseelie hunters who stalk the woods to supply the realm with fresh meat.
So this cycle continues, year after year, each side attending to what suits them best, and although much conflict exists between the two, both sides agreeably band together against outsiders.

The Sidhe culture is tricky and extensive. As former immortals many Sidhe live long lives by most standards and as such their culture is an intricate web of social niceties. The Sidhe have no concept of Human morals and live by their own rules, the rules often differ from individual to individual, which is why the Sidhe tend to be slow to act. The vast majority of interaction between one Sidhe and another are elaborate word traps and mind games with the intent of determining the rules by which the other lives by.

There are, however, several common rules.

The first and foremost is that of challenge; Any Sidhe can be challenged by any other. The challenger dictates the rules of the engagement, from something as simple to a riddle to something as complex as open warfare, but both sides must agree on the outcomes. If no agreement can be reached then the matter is taken to the Seelie or Unseelie court, or both if it is appropriate, and decided there. Generally the penalties for failure are greater than the boons for success and challenges against those weaker than you are greatly looked down upon, thus challenges are only issued during times of great need.
To a Sidhe, a victory of words is as binding and as worth as a victory of deeds.

The second rule is that of the Courts; should conflict arise, the Courts are the ultimate authority, second only to the rule of Challenge. The Courts act in tandam and with the best interests of all Sidhe in mind, although of course there is some friction.

The third rule is that of just reprisal. Should a wrong be percieved to be committed by one party, that party is entitled to appropriate retribution, even if the other party was unaware of the wrong. To the Sidhe, ignorance is never an excuse.

The fourth and final rule is that of debt and word. No promise can be broken, no debt can go unpaid. A Sidhe would rather commit suicide than break his word or fail to repay a debt. Such debts can take many, many years to be repaid however, for the Sidhe have long memories and longer lives. The fourth rule forms an intricate part of Sidhe society, even the least of the Sidhe is well versed in duplicitous speech, saying one thing while meaning another. Although a Sidhe can never directly lie, never outright break his word, what a Sidhe says and what a Sidhe means can often be two very different things, and in the mind of a Sidhe, intent is the only thing that matters.

The Sidhe follow no God or Gods, the divinities that once guided their movements have long abandoned them to their fate. Many, however consider reality itself to be a far greater God than any that came before.

The supernatural origin of the Sidhe gifts them with more than just their wraithlike appearance. The Seelie grow their buildings from gold-hued Diamond that shines and sparkles in the sunlight, the Unseelie carve theirs from unnatural blue Ice that seems to project an aura of darkness around it. Their designs are impossible and ethereal, held together by subtle arts that do not truely qualify as magic; to the Sidhe, such things are merely crafts, like a Carpenter makes a chair.

History: A newly created civilisation formed from the cast-offs of the divine and unholy legions of the Old World who either fled The Grey or were sent by their masters, the Sidhe find themselves with more in common with their age old enemies than this strange new world. Few remember their origins and fewer still care to dwell upon the matter. The past is over, the future is uncertain, but the present, the present is now, and it is time to change the present.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:13:55 am by Neruz »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; waiting for Civs)
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2010, 09:01:32 am »

Righto then, here's my civ this time around:

Civilization: Slyphia
Origin city: Melia
Color: Dark Green

Race: Kodama. Green-skinned, thin humanoids with pale green eyes, and bright neon lime hair, these tree spirits are connected by a life bond to their sacred trees. They may travel as far away as they like, but should any damage happen to the tree, the Kodama will be injured as well, and vice versa. If one dies, so does the other. They are eternally linked through the magic of the mother Gaia.

Theme: Environmental, Magical, Botanistic

Description: The slyphs are a race closely connected to the magic of plants and the earth. They call this magical source, Gaia. And believe her a goddess of immense power, even if her divine body has been scattered across the world to provide life.

In the center of each city, there is the life grove, where the trees of the population are planted, tended, and protected. It is the last hold out of warriors if a city is to be overrun, and the population will gather there before saving any other material wealth.

That said, the Slyphs are not against using whatever they can have for their own advantage. They prefer however to work with nature to bring about a mutual goal. For example, they build their homes out of grown trees, Willows usually, though the city of Melia is known for Ash tree homes. The main living area is a circular dome created by foliage around the trunk of a living tree. These trees are adapted by magic to have a decently tall and smooth trunk, with the overhanging branches from the canopy.

Like the houses, a great many of the Slyph culture is based on trying to use plants to their advantage. Most is still in the experimental stage, but from fast growing mining roots breaking through solid rock, to living vine lassos capturing exotic giant tree frogs for animal taming, the tools of the Kodama are usually botanistic.

Religion is based on a personal relationship with the land. Before every major action that may harm the land, a Slyph will scatter a small amount of specially enchanted dirt from a pouch each one carries around their neck. The dirt is made from the most fertile soils the civilization can find, and they believe that by giving the soil made from their work in exchange for the bounty of nature, they complete a balance that keeps the world alive. The dirt is gathered when the baby Kodama is born, and every birthday they add to the pouch. It is considered a horrible disgrace if your pouch empties before your birthday. Throughout the year the pouch is kept on a thong around the neck, between the breasts and as close to the heart as possible, so the soil can absorb some of the natural magic of the Kodama life force.

History: The Kodama have always been here. In the wilderness amongst the trees of their bond they hid in an almost feral state, perpetually frightened of damage to their trees or themselves. It is believed that the Goddess Gaia took it upon herself to gather the Kodama together into a group and show them the ways of working together for protection. Unfortunately, her influence was not as great as some of the old gods, and she decided to sacrifice herself to the land in order to keep life flourishing. Her chosen race was the Kodama(or so they believe), and she lives on within each of them, and the soil heart pouches they carry.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:21 am »

Well, the Sidhe surely are a challenge to write up. As always, tell me how it looks, if I messed up somewhere, etc...

I must admit, I'm not quite happy with my writeup for the slyph/Kodama. I'm tempted to throw in Construction, or think of an additional trait, maybe change the first leader, but I'd like to hear feedback first. Edit: Actually, I'll add Construction right in.

Spoiler: Haika's Slyphia (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:59:17 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 12:02:34 pm »

Civ: niDano
City: kiDano (Please preserve the Bantu-ish prefixes.)
Color: Red

Race: The anaNoku is a race of giants, with an average height of 10 feet for full-adult females. The half-adult females are generally much smaller, at a range of 7 feet. Males are in between at 8 feet. They have a rather heavy build, with longer arms to facilitate running on all fours, much like a gorilla, except the full-adult females which are more properly upright. Skin colour ranges from light yellow to dark green, with blotches or patterns which vary from individual to individual.

They are for practical purposes, mundane creatures, with a lifespan of about 20-40 terrestrial years for half-adult females. However, full females can grow to an extremely old age, as their lifespans extend into hundreds and there are no records of them dying from a natural cause, and most are dead due to wars or "regime changes". Male adults are again, in between, at 60-100 years.

Socially, they are constructed in a reverse harem due to their strange biology; Full adult females are few and in generally leads a large faction, but it is rare to have only one full adult in a tribe. Males serve as both reproductive agents and mid-level administration. Half-adult females are practically drones, as they represent a majority of the anaKoku.

Every half-adult is capable to morph into a full-adult, but the exact mechanism is unknown. Some stipulates that it is due to social change, as when there are too few of them, some of them will eventually undergo this process. One other hypothesis states that it is different nutrition, much like bees. A third hypothesis states that it is cannibalism, or at least consumption of fresh male adult corpses, but whether it has only a ritual or a physiological purpose is open to interpretation. In any case, only the full-adults are fertile, and they lay eggs for the half-adults to bear - another oddity.

Needless to say, the Full-adults are the main focal point of the anaNoku, regardless of tribe. The full adults uses mating rights to keep the male in power, while the half-adults are more savage than their full counterparts, and is usually kept at bay by tournaments, meaningless futile expansions, and adultrights - if they are more like a promise that can hardly be ever fulfilled. The other adults seems to see them as inferior, and will happily use them for cannon fodder.

niDano

The niDano Civ was created by the witch-queen Dano. As anyone with brains will notice, the large amount of "waste" half-adults is a good source of corpses and souls, which can be reanimated into an army, more controllable and numerous than that of the living. Dano was one of the fortunate few to take care of this force while still a half-adult. Corrupted or enlightened, depending on which viewpoint you are from, she went on to crave a small domain admist the anaNoku tribes, and kiDano, initially just a stronghold, becomes a city of necromancy and dark arts.

At the entrance of kiDano, one can see a gigantic skeleton of a full female; it was Dano herself, as she sacrificed herself at the siege of kiDano. The necromantic niDano destabilized balance of power, and it lead to the repression by other tribes, fighting numerous battles over more than a hundred years, until a combined force of 12,000 gathered in front of kiDano. The resulting siege lasted for more than a year, which slowed turned against kiDano. At the end, as an effort to break siege, Dano provided her ultimate service by turning her lifeforce to raise all dead scattered among the battlefields. With the hulking figure of a skeletal Dano in front of an endless army of skeletons, the combined force met its end by the end of the day. Dano lie lifeless, but her city was saved.

Now the city was governed by 10 full females, who called themselves niDano Tsanavara, or the defender of Dano. They are all skilled necromancers of some kind, and was determined to promote the art of utilitarian necromancy. The living is an essential part of niDano as they supports the populace, and are needed to command the dead in times of need.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:28:28 pm by evilcherry »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 09:53:49 am »

The usual disclaimers apply:

Spoiler: evilcherry's niDano (click to show/hide)

Two things - one, evilcherry's red may be difficult to distinguish from IronyOwl's crimson. Perhaps a different color may be better.
Two, unique technologies. It's a bit of a coincidence that there are two of them already. I want to keep them to a minimum, but they will exist. That doesn't mean that non-unique technologies so far specific to a civilization will be as easy to research as other technologies. A civilization's theme will continue to affect the civilization through the game.

I'd like to hear from everyone who hasn't posted yet whether they like their starting position or if there need to be changes. I'd also like to hear from RNG.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 10:03:15 am »

I must admit, I'm not quite happy with my writeup for the slyph/Kodama. I'm tempted to throw in Construction, or think of an additional trait, maybe change the first leader, but I'd like to hear feedback first. Edit: Actually, I'll add Construction right in.

Spoiler: Haika's Slyphia (click to show/hide)

Looks good so far, good location, though I might have liked the river going through more forest squares, seems odd for it mostly being in a desert. At least that's how I read the colors, could be different.

Once we start I'll go over all the rules again, and make sure I know whats going on, but so far so good.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 10:16:13 am »

The yellow is plains, actually. No one's in a desert yet.

Here's a map key:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll probably post a sample turn later as well.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 11:10:23 am »

I opt for yellow, then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 65