Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92667 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World Discussion thread (AoR-like game; still recruiting)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 10:45:34 am »

I sure hope it is still happening. For now, it's best to assume that the rules of AoR II are in effect. There will be a few things handled differently, but most of those shouldn't change the posted rules much (I already threw out a different map approach as too hard to update, and too much micromanagement, for the little benefit of making the Wheel work as Nirur had intended).

Edit: I've added preliminary rules to the second post. Currently, they're essentially identical to the rules of AoR 2
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:34:38 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 01:05:19 am »

Civ Name: Haskanara
City Name: Skethorum
Color: Crimson

Race: Four crab-like legs, two facing the front, two facing the back (and left/right, as appropriate). Aside from this unorthodox pelvis, their torsos are pretty humanoid, other than being covered in the same orange and/or white crab-hide the rest of them is. They have four arms, one right below the other, each ending in 2-3 fairly large claw-like fingers. Their head features five round, blank, dark green eyes, in a sort of broad W shape, and their mouths consist of a lower jaw, plus four small mandibles and a long tongue for good measure. They can regenerate lost body parts, though it takes some time, and occasionally molt, growing a new skin in two to three days.

Theme: Industrious, Studious, Expansionist (or if you prefer, Greedy For Everything)

Description: Individually, Haskanara are greedy and covetous, hoarding everything they can- food, shelter, shiny things, and so on. They band together under the notion of communal hoarding exceptionally well, however, and consider these social contracts to be of the utmost importance. As shareholders of a sort, they expect to be kept up to date on anything of importance regarding their possessions, and place great emphasis on properly caring for and expanding communal property, especially knowledge and its associated structures. Consequently, most decisions, processes, and actions are as public and transparent as possible, though they appreciate that circumstance, logistics, and natural ability can make some things infeasible for everyone to witness or partake in. Nevertheless, most have an interest and resolve to ensure everything runs smoothly, almost reminiscent of a hive mind, though in fact unbalanced sacrifice or benefit is of grave concern to them. They also tend to prefer order, logic, and planning, which contributes to both their transparent conduct (and notions of fairness) and hive-ish appearance.
They have no centralized or widespread religious beliefs as such, but they generally consider effort to be its own reward and sloth its own punishment, which is somewhat philosophical if not truly religious. The fervor with which they view their communal property agreements, as well as the prospects of expanding or endangerment to them, is also at least reminiscent of religious zeal, and few things fit the bill of "blasphemy" more than betrayal or subversion of such a pact.

History: The Haskanara were natives of their world, adopted by Odammon, ancient deity of strength and knowledge. He saw the Haskanara hungered for progress, and felt they would have both the intellect and interest necessary to master magic, and the industriousness and discipline needed to become a great people. Combined, he felt, they could be a potent empire, one that could stand against any evil it needed to.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 01:10:23 am »

Man, writing about crab people is harder than I thought. Or maybe not writing walls of text about them is, I dunno.

Anyway:
Quote from: Knight Otu
Horses, similar beasts of burden, and slaves, have a few uses. Two maybe be turned into a labor point for the express purposes of working terrain or improving it. They may be eaten if times are hard, for +2 food.

Guess we know what happens during tough sieges.  ;D
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 02:29:39 am »

Civilization: Lactosians
City: Great Lactosia
Color: Orange
Race: The Lactosians are standard men. However, they have been isolated from other civilizations for thousands of years. They have developed a strong military force, and have a special elite corps named the Warriors of Great Lactosia. These warriors often marry other warriors, resulting over time in a class that is far stronger than the rest of the civilization. Recently, this corps has been disbanded in favor of more flexible militia, which have not yet been raised. The rationale behind this is outlined below.
Theme: Science, trade, peace, cheese
Description: The Lactosians live under the rule of a powerful society of philosopher-kings. Society is kept in check by these kings, who make sure the populace is educated and informed, and the kings are kept in check by society. Each year, a vote across the nation is held to select the new philosopher king. The philosopher kings decide the laws of the Lactosians. Often, laws will be optional - for example, a new tax to build schools may be objected to by the population. A small area will be set aside for those who do not want to pay the tax. If people object strongly enough, they may move to the area with lesser taxes (and lesser schools), but this does not happen often. The reigning philosopher-king goes by the name of Cheddarius The Wise. Voted in when the previous king retired, he is looked upon as an intelligent and kind ruler. Still, the people are uncertain whether he will rule well.
The Lactosians have no religious beliefs.
The Lactosians have a strong moral code, addressed in the book The Philosopher-King's Proclamations, which is published every decade. Lactosians are taught to follow and evaluate the code constantly. It holds war as reprehensible and a bitter waste of life. Thus, Lactosians now only have small militias in populated areas to keep the peace. In fact, these militias are sometimes trained as police. Normally they are only regular citizens, but they have made pledges to fight in times of war. Lactosians seek peace, and most wars are to defend Lactosia from invading armies. Though this has not happened yet, as the Lactosians only recently returned to the mainland, The Philosopher-King's Proclamations states that if one must invade a country to stop civil war, etc., one should perform precision strikes against as few as possible, and only against those who have killed or ordered killings (e.g. tribe leaders). Afterwards, a plebiscite should be taken asking whether the population would like the Lactosians to stay and keep the peace with a police force (for a small tax, of course).
The Lactosians' main goal is science. They believe that by discovering truths about the universe and developing new technology, they can create a better future for their children.
History: The Lactosians were a part of a country in the Old World. Attacked on three fronts by greedy invaders, they left to a chain of islands, following the rule of the philosopher-kings. They began research and outstripped the other civilizations, who wasted resources on eternal wars. Many centuries later, when they had grown and prospered, they purchased vast amounts of property on the mainland with their newfound wealth. They moved in, formed their new nation, and have done well for themselves ever since. New sciences, like irrigation, have helped them prosper.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:01:53 pm by Cheddarius »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 05:58:50 am »

IronyOwl: Are the Haskanara landbound, or partially aquatic?

Cheddarius: While you can start with a military unit, keep in mind that it'll probably mean you get less somewhere else.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 09:03:28 am »

They're at least a little aquatic, but they probably wouldn't be building cities half-submerged or anything.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 09:40:08 am »

Good. How's this as a starting position?

Spoiler: IronyOwl's Haskanara (click to show/hide)

I realize that some more context would help there, but I should get Cheddarius' people up soon as well. Speaking of which, Cheddarius, maybe you could add a word or two to your theme?
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 01:25:42 pm »

Knight, I've added some things to my theme, and disbanded my corps. Is that good?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »

Very nice, should be just about perfect.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 01:36:00 pm »

Good, I think that helped finalizing your people. Tell me how it looks to you, and whether I misinterpreted something.

Spoiler: Cheddarius' Lactosians (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:19:03 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 02:02:15 pm »

Er, the militia aren't really a bonus. They aren't active or anything, and in fact they are paid vast sums as hazard pay, so they're basically just the same as normal militia. It was really just for flavor.

I added that they have new sciences like irrigation... is that cheating, or can I have that?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »

It was also partially inspired by the Lactosians' desire for peace (admittedly, Militia may be the wrong name for the trait), but I can see what you mean. I guess you can trade it for Irrigation, though I'd have preferred not to give out three techs. It should work out, however.

Edit: I've added the AoR rules for caster units, and a short bit on technologies beyond those listed to the second post.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:35:21 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 11:49:53 am »

Bumping for some more minor changes in the rules. Cheddarius, are you fine with the Lactosians as they currently stand?

Also, there's still three spots open - we currently have three players (IronyOwl, Cheddarius, and RNG) with two civilizations (semi-)finalized.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 12:02:02 pm »

Yes, I am totes fine with that.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can drop in for a try, but is currently out of ideas of a race.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 65