Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92639 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:50:47 am »

The Champions of the Gods had failed. The Grey Council had succeeded. The Grey rolled over the land. Caught in mindless fury, Koritu, greatest warrior among the Gods went to battle the Greyhorde. The Grey consumed him, and took his power for itself.

The World was ending. They Grey swept over human cities. It crawled out of dwarven forges, and seeped into elven forests. City-fleets of the aurides crystallized into the Grey just like beast pens of the wurad. The Masters of Light and Dark strode into battle together to delay the inevitable.

The Grey was taking the World. Yet as the fabric of reality itself was weakening, the Gods perceived. As the Garden of Eternal Light went dark, they saw the Younger Worlds. As the Indomitable Gate was broken, they knew the paths. As the Bottomless Sea dried up, the Plan took fruit.

The Grey Lord was waking, ready to take his new body. The World was at end. And the Gods acted, and with them the Forgotten Ones and the Great Magi. They took the people off the Waking Grey, and put them onto the Younger Worlds. They recreated the lost races, and gave them new homes. They bore the new races, and set them onto their realms. And finally they adopted the natives of the Younger Worlds, to make them aware.

The Grey had swallowed the World, creating the Waking Grey. The Grey Lord had taken it as its new body. The Old World had reached its Dusk. Yet, its races were alive to open their eyes, and look towards the Dawn of a New World.

The game thread is here.

I would like to start a strategy game based on the Age of Restoration games (see for example Age of Restoration, Brave New World, and Age of Restoration II). In short, it is a game similar to Civilization, where each player controls a fantasy civilization, and makes the decisions for a single city, though colonies and towns might be founded later. While magic and gods do have the potential to exist, the Younger Worlds have different laws of magic than the Old World (meaning that most magic needs to be re-researched), and the old gods are dead (though worship might bring them back; or maybe new ones might arise). The gods also had little time to make sure that knowledgeable or powerful individuals would be saved, and thus a lot of technology needs to be re-researched as well. Some of the rules may be different from those in the other games, but the full rules will be posted in the game thread. Any suggestions regarding the rules are welcome.

I want six players, for six civilizations, who can post at least every three days, as I want the game to remain active. I'll probably skip players if they haven't posted by the fifth day, and will then consider if they need to be kicked off the game. There won't be mandatory seconds as in AoR II, but if two players want to collaborate on a single civilization, they're welcome to do so. Players who aren't currently in AoR II will be given precedence over those who are.

Here is what I want from each player:

• The names of your civilization and your first city, as well as an unique color for your civilization.
  • Race(s): A description of the race or races that make up your civilization. If the races are common enough, a few words will suffice.
  • Theme: Two or three words that describe your civilization.
  • Description: Describe your civilization and culture, and any religious beliefs that they have. This will help solidify your RP, and help me with early flavor text.
  • History: A brief background of your civilization, and who they were in the Old World. A newly-created/adopted race should also have some reasons why the deity (or whoever) created/adopted them.

From that information I'll create a profile of your civilization - specifically, what traits, buildings, technologies and heroes they start with, and the terrain of the starting city.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:05:08 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World Discussion thread (AoR-like game)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:25:58 am »

I would suppose that a single bump won't hurt to see if there's interest. If you feel that a three-day turn is too short, do say so.

Edit:
Preliminary game rules. Mostly shamelessly stolen from Nirur Torir, who took them from Vanigo:

Spoiler: City Basics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Building types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Leaders (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Military units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food and your people: (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Money (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: City Surroundings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Random Events (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beasts of Burden (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magic and Caster units (click to show/hide)

Reference:

Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Technologies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Leaders (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:46:06 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:47:06 am »

I think the most pressing issue is that we have quite a lot of them.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:15:48 am »

I would but I won't be around in a couple of weeks for a bit, if you've still not started by when I'm back then I'll happily join.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:17:31 am »

A couple of weeks is a bit longer than I would wish to delay this, but if this one doesn't get off the ground, remind me when you're back.

As for having a lot of strategy games currently, that's true, which does come back to the interest issue. If there's too many, then there isn't much interest in another one.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:05:23 am »

I would be interested, but I have a lot going on currently, so I would have to pass until some stuff clears up.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:27:57 pm »

I AM ON THIS LIKE A NOUN, REFERRED TO AS OBJECT A, ON ANOTHER NOUN, REFERRED TO AS OBJECT B, GIVEN THAT OBJECT A HAS A STRONG ATTRACTION TO OBJECT B, OBJECT A IS A QUALITY OF OBJECT B, OR OBJECT A AND OBJECT B ARE OFTEN FOUND TOGETHER

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 02:46:47 pm »

Well, if there are four or five more players with that kind of enthusiasm... ;)
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »

Oh my gosh I might stick this on my forum game list if Toady says it's all right. That might drum up some interest.
I think it'll get started once people know more about it. Just look at the original AoR, there is huge interest.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Well, so far the interest has yet to manifest. Let's see if someone else also comes in, otherwise I'll let this rest for a bit and consider a different game.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World Discussion thread (AoR-like game; still recruiting)
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 05:59:26 pm »

Interest will manifest, I promise you. Please don't give this up, it is a game that is super awesome and cool.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:18 pm »

Ehh... Still busy, but I guess I can give it a shot. I should be able to post every 3 days. Now I just need to decide on a race...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »

Any preferences on races? You specifically going for elves, not-elves, certain archetypes, things that scare small children, etc.?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 05:58:50 am »

About anything goes. Dwarves, gnolls, gorons, dragonborn... warforged/golems might be tricky, but should be workable, but don't expect to be able to use dragons or something like that. Just give me a description of the race if it isn't generally known. Err on the side of me not knowing unless it is a "stock" fantasy race.

Edit to add: In case it isn't obvious from the above, custom/homebrewed races are welcome as well. The three-day turn, as noted earlier, can be relaxed if necessary.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:10:09 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:13 am »

I'm in, if this is still happening. I'll have my insidious crab-men up later.

On a related note, I think you're stuck in a catch-22 on the interest bit. Right now you've got a link to some other threads and three people vaguely stating they'll join. Once mechanics and races are up, peoples' interests should be piqued enough for them to join. But since nobody else is in/set up right now, even the people who say they're in aren't particularly inspired/rushed.

At least, that's my take on it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 65