Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5943 5944 [5945] 5946 5947 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434389 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #89160 on: February 27, 2015, 05:03:01 pm »

D:
D:
(I would probably post this in the rage thread if it still existed. RIP culture.)
Fortunately, many of the destroyed items were replicas, and the originals are in other museums. However, the act shows their desire to erase evidence of anything contrary to their views.
Okay, that makes me feel a little bit better. Even if I don't approve of idol worship, which I don't, practically nobody ( maybe one person ) worships the statues anymore so they're not really idols anymore? Which... I should stop trying to apply logic to terrorist acts, they're just designed to provoke emotion. Those things were valuable insights into history, that fortunately we at least had time to photograph before their destruction, but it's not the same! :( If we get rid of stuff like that, we'd never learn about these civilizations that apparently we're supposed to hate according to them, so.... It doesn't? It doesn't make sense! Even by their own standards!!! >:|

D:
D:
(I would probably post this in the rage thread if it still existed. RIP culture.)
Fortunately, many of the destroyed items were replicas, and the originals are in other museums. However, the act shows their desire to erase evidence of anything contrary to their views.
Replicas aside: "Oh, what's this ancient monument/artifact that's over 10k years old (so to speak)? What can we learn from the past; what they figured out? Turns out, our religion doesn't agree with any of it, and we're offended; who cares if it tells of our origins or whatever? It's gotta go." --Standard extremist protocol; generally speaking.

Makes me wish whatever god is in charge of all existence, or whatever (whoever's right), reveals themselves, and says "That's it, I'm done with this planet. You humans suck. Later.". Even as a ruse, just to shock everyone into behaving themselves, or something. Then again, it'll always be a blame game or something, and a religious war about "who disappointed God the most" would come up. I dunno. I'm angry at this happening in the first place. STOP DESTROYING HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS BECAUSE YOU'RE RECENTLY OFFENDED, YOU NUMBNUTS!!!

ISIS (extremists) has the same collective intelligence as ISIS (Archer) right now overall.

EDIT:
Possible solution: Let's send the Scientologists over there to fight against them (at least, via ideologies). It'll be the definition of fun to watch.
Thanks. I needed a joke to play this off or I was just going to fume all day and rant about how crazy people don't make sense.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89161 on: February 27, 2015, 05:06:40 pm »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #89162 on: February 27, 2015, 05:17:00 pm »

What's funny is that even though my religion also states not to have strange gods before our Lord, or not to worship idols and such, we at least have enough sense to preserve history enough to learn something about it. We'll give people crap for worshipping them at the worst (and not all of us are dicks like that either; myself an example. If anything, we'd give more crap for celebrating Football like a religion (Keep holy the Sabbath Day; Church for at least an hour, not watching TV/[insert game here] instead), rather than worshipping another god), but even so, it's still history; we'd still like to learn something about other cultures. At least, those of us who are rational/tolerant (silent majority).

But overall, it's an extremist principle. Take something you believe in, and have so much faith in it that your rationality goes out the window. Just look at Westboro (vocal minority), and other religious groups that don't know how to draw a line in their beliefs. Even non-believers can be total assholes.

EDIT:
I guess, overall, certain people want a reason to be the very definition of the term "asshole" and get away with it, what better reason than "because God said so". I guess the amount of times that excuse has been made was what was so offensive to so many over the course of history.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:39:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #89163 on: February 27, 2015, 05:28:06 pm »

Great actor and narrator. He also had a voice too. If I Had a hammer is on my Zune.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #89164 on: February 27, 2015, 05:31:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant#Countries_and_groups_at_war_with_ISIL
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:34:26 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89165 on: February 27, 2015, 06:04:25 pm »

What's funny is that even though my religion also states not to have strange gods before our Lord, or not to worship idols and such, we at least have enough sense to preserve history enough to learn something about it. We'll give people crap for worshipping them at the worst, but even so, it's still history; we'd still like to learn something about other cultures. At least, those of us who are rational (silent majority).

But overall, it's an extremist principle. Take something you believe in, and have so much faith in it that your rationality goes out the window. Just look at Westboro (vocal minority), and other religious groups that don't know how to draw a line in their beliefs. Even non-believers can be total assholes.

EDIT:
I guess, overall, certain people want a reason to be the very definition of the term "asshole" and get away with it, what better reason than "because God said so". I guess the amount of times that excuse has been made was what was so offensive to so many over the course of history.
Eyeah. Same. And it's like... I get that you want to be pious and do the right thing and all, but when you're just setting things on fire, breaking things, and killing people for attention, you're not a holy warrior, you're a vandal. And a brat. I would understand if they were doing this during a time period when people were being routinely sacrificed to these statues and prayers were being said to them, but that is not the case. In fact, unless I'm very mistaken, most of people are already of the religion that they're trying to get the support/sympathy of and/or convert people to!

Is that really faith anymore? Jesus, by his own statements, said that he came to "give sight to the blind", and it's hard-to-impossible to challenge his faith and understanding of it. By that, should we even count "blind faith" as faith? * shrugs *

What's weird is that these people somehow conjure up very strong protections ( in some way or another ), slaves, and voice amplifiers within less than a year. Take ISIS, for example. Before 2012: Nobody knew anything about them, maybe they didn't even exist. Now: All over the news. Scientology as a less recent example. ( Scientology admittedly doesn't blow people up, hang them, or slit their throats to my knowledge. I'm just bringing them up because they were mentioned already. A better example I thought of while typing would be the Mansons and their group. )

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant#Countries_and_groups_at_war_with_ISIL
Thank you Hugo. Pardon my ignorance. This makes me feel a bit better that they won't persist as they hope to. It also explains a bit about why they can't be gotten to easily. Civil war is a bloody mess. Even so, can't we work together long enough to do battle against them before we start shooting at each other?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89166 on: February 27, 2015, 06:05:11 pm »

Wait, the narrator of Seaman died?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89167 on: February 27, 2015, 06:10:12 pm »

Wait, the narrator of Seaman died?
Yeah. and now it's time to express my sadness with Leonard Nimoy passing. I'm not near as much of a fan as most of you guys and gals expressing your sadness at his passing, I still like and appreciate the tiny shreds of his work I've seen and am pretty sure I'd become a fan if I took the opportunity to familiarize myself with his work. And in his memory I may well do that. It's really too bad though, he was a pillar in the SF community and he'll be missed. ( He'll also never be a head-in-a-jar again. :( )

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #89168 on: February 27, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »

RIP Spock.

You lived well and prospered. :(
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89169 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:56 pm »

I think the guy that killed my friend is getting off Scott free....
This is greatly upsetting
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89170 on: February 27, 2015, 06:28:07 pm »

Have there been proceedings?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89171 on: February 27, 2015, 06:30:46 pm »

Have there been proceedings?
I'm not sure
I don't know much legal stuff.

Not sure if you know what happened, it got put up here a while back

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89172 on: February 27, 2015, 06:33:59 pm »

Yeah, I remember. Did they ever find out who it was?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89173 on: February 27, 2015, 06:36:53 pm »

You sure you remember?
It wasn't a murder
Well not in the normal sense

A guy got drunk (and possibly high I forget) and went street racing with his idiot friends, with a passenger in his car, at 6 in the morning. He lost control of his truck and slammed into my friend while he was waiting for the bus killing him (my friend) instantly.
The driver has been in the hospital a while because he got pretty beaten up in the wreak.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89174 on: February 27, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »

I do remember, I just don't remember whether you ever said it was a hit-n-run or not. Since they do know who it was, charges can be pressed as soon as he's fit to stand trial.
Pages: 1 ... 5943 5944 [5945] 5946 5947 ... 8167