Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448434 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #10320 on: August 19, 2010, 01:02:52 am »

I have a friend who doesn't have much time to live, and I don't know what to say to them.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: August 19, 2010, 01:07:43 am »

I have a friend who doesn't have much time to live, and I don't know what to say to them.

Cancer? Well, um, advanced condolences to you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: August 19, 2010, 01:15:50 am »

I don't know what you could say either.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: August 19, 2010, 01:26:15 am »

Tell them you valued the time you got to know them, and will remember them long after they're gone. Not much else to be said.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:43 am »

sigging
While I don't want to brag (I totally don't, I swear! I absolutely hate writing this!), check out my first post. Or, well, the thread it was posted in.
That's right. Sigged on my first post. ;)

Tell them you valued the time you got to know them, and will remember them long after they're gone. Not much else to be said.
This is very good advise. Don't let (possible) gender roles stand in the way of crying together either, if you feel you have to.
(And just to be clear, as I realise I might not have made myself known very well at this site, that the above might come of as taunting or something through the emotionless media that is the written word; I am being sincere.)
Love, scriver~

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #10325 on: August 19, 2010, 05:54:34 am »

Why are people trying to break my forum adventure? People are at least semi-serious about Adventure Guy, but I don't think they're even trying with BitQuest.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #10326 on: August 19, 2010, 06:10:38 am »

A friend in Florida was telling me about his cousin's family he's living with right now, about how his cousin's sister pushed him down and he caught himself from falling. He was then yelled at from his mother for it... yes... for catching his balance. This mostly makes me sad that he has to live with them and that people have to put up with it (and angry that people are like that to begin with).

Then I saw that Duke has a really sad happenstance occurring right now. Again, with the sadness in the thread recursion...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: August 19, 2010, 06:13:50 am »

Why are people trying to break my forum adventure? People are at least semi-serious about Adventure Guy, but I don't think they're even trying with BitQuest.
Retro did have to tell people to stop being silly, though.
Also, people calmed down over time - the first pages are almost nothing but off topic banter.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: August 19, 2010, 07:17:50 am »

Playing Nethack, had -25 AC, +5 Grayswandir/+2 Silver Sabre, two or three wands of death, all the necessary intrinsics, I was pretty much ready.

While heading down to start on Gehennom, I killed a frost giant, drank his potion, polymorphed into dragon, lost +5 Shirt/+5 cloak of displacement, was waiting it out when something came around the corner, I attacked without looking, bit a cockatrice.

:c

And what's worse is I know I won't be able to rest until I do it all the way.  I have to beat this game.  It's part of my cred.
Shoes...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: August 19, 2010, 08:16:02 am »

I have an odd lingering feeling today is going to be really bad for me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: August 19, 2010, 08:25:17 am »

I have an odd lingering feeling today is going to be really bad for me.

One can only imagine why...

So hey, the other day I was whinging about changing college courses at the last minute.  Turns out, switching to a more interesting and convenient class about Greek philosophers instead of Czechoslovakian administrations has completely fucked up the rest of my enrollment.  It counts as a credit for the requirement my Social Theory class was supposed to substitute for.  So now I probably need to replace that with another Political Science class, and that Eastern European class has already filled up in the three days since I dropped it.  I also realized I probably need to enroll in one more class, because I was adding up my credits wrong.  And today is the last day to pay before autodrops and late-enrollment fees begin.

Here's hoping the department planner is worth the money I help pay her.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: August 19, 2010, 10:10:25 am »

At a "correct" moment, tell them you'll be there if they want to talk.  Then be as normal as you can.  I say this mostly because of a kid I'd heard of who was dying in high school, but kept going because he wanted so badly to enjoy the trappings of a normal life.  He didn't even tell his friends, because he didn't want them to treat him any differently.

Your friend may not be the same as this guy (... age is a factor), but the aforementioned offer should make it so that he/she feels comfortable (or at least more comfortable) talking about things when he/she needs to.

... Hope this helps.

@Aqizzar: Man, that sucks about the classes.  Good luck, dude.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: August 19, 2010, 10:34:06 am »

I have no real experience with death.  The only people I've had any relationship with who died were two great-grandmothers and a friend in junior high.  He died suddenly and I heard weeks later.  One great-ma was thoroughly senile for years and sequestered in a medical home.  The last time I saw her, she was wandering around my mother's house looking for a choir.  The other great-ma was coherent her whole life, but never in great health.  We chatted about careers and fashion, which was difficult because she was nearly blind and deaf.  Always good to talk to, but difficult to talk to because I assumed I had to treat her as fragile as possible.  When she died, far away from me, for a very brief moment at her funeral I felt relieved that I wouldn't have to worry about meeting her at family reunions anymore.  Beyond that, any time someone I know of dies, there's nothing I can do besides look depressed and be silent.  I don't know any other good emotion.

Now I'm sad that I'm a terrible person, and I have absolutely no advice or helpful comment for Duke, and I've hijacked his problem to talk about mine.  Good God I'm awful.

@Aqizzar: Man, that sucks about the classes.  Good luck, dude.

Problem worked itself out.  Adviser got back to me in an hour, and it turned out I did my math right the first time and don't need another credit.  All's good.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: August 19, 2010, 10:39:58 am »

Just to clarity, this buddy is just wondering if they will live to Christmas. So it's more of dealing with a buddy who is scared of dying alone, and they don't know when it'll happen. It's not like Cancer where a doctor says they have some amount of time to live but persistent health problems over the course of their life that are accumulating.

I'm still not quite sure what to say to them. I wish to say something along the lines of what Vector suggested, but I fear it may reinforce their view of "I'm dying, I won't live long". Everything I could think of would either be too far for the relationship we have or reinforcing that idea in some way.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: August 19, 2010, 10:45:21 am »

So... basically, the dude doesn't actually know if he's going to die?  I mean, if you don't have a very close relationship with this guy at all, then it'd probably just be a situation where you express your condolences and try to extend yourself to him a bit more.  Plus, if he's "just" in a life-threatening circumstance, that's not quite the same pot of beans.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 8167