Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3574323 times)

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9945 on: January 07, 2010, 06:13:47 pm »

Does anyone know whether the Mac port to the new version will come out at the same time as the Windows version?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

DFAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »

I can't take it... gonna.. go.. insane... Can't wait for the update. I sure hope Toady isn't dead. That would put quite a damper on my obsession with this game.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: January 07, 2010, 06:41:18 pm »

That'll basically be up to Toady. One might come out sooner simply because he needs to compile one first.
The Thraddash!?
also might depend on whether he merges in 40d# before releasing.

To All: Toady posted like, yesterday in his getwellcard thread.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: January 07, 2010, 06:43:32 pm »

What is a Thraddash?
I randomly highlight posts on forums while I read them...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: January 07, 2010, 07:03:23 pm »

To All: Toady posted like, yesterday in his getwellcard thread.

That was over 4 days ago. Toady is obviously fine and has logged onto the forums every now and then. But yeah.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:30 pm »

Does anyone know whether the Mac port to the new version will come out at the same time as the Windows version?
IIRC, Toady wants to put them all out at once.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: January 07, 2010, 07:17:16 pm »

As for the Ark project it didn't take me long to find several problems with it (In fact it took one submission with 4 different animals who were all exactly alike with the same name)

It has a very real chance of becoming noise or having Suikoden Food Names.

Also very few of the member lists actually participate in the forum or are even REALLY members anymore. Just look at the "Most members online". So saying "If everyone participated" is exactly like saying "If I could get my imaginary friends AND my multiple personalities to help".
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:22:41 pm by Neonivek »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »

What is a Thraddash?
I randomly highlight posts on forums while I read them...

It is an alien sentient creature native to an iconic space adventure game. They physically resemble rhinomen. They only respect deadly force. Also they must be extremely smart and resillient, because they have survived and thrived through nineteen cycles of stoneage->industrial->nuclear annihilation.
...or they are just too stubborn to die. :P
Their spaceships are propelled by napalm afterburners and are armed with a peashooter missile rack.
All races had a nice MOD soundtrack (even on PC internal speakers!) in this game and the Traddash had one of the nicest.
Oh and they smoke sigars, it won't kill them any faster than the radioactive wastelands will.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: January 07, 2010, 07:37:40 pm »

(And they are Footkerchief's new avatar.)
"Suikoden food names"?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: January 07, 2010, 07:43:27 pm »

(And they are Footkerchief's new avatar.)
"Suikoden food names"?

In Suikoden for no reason they have real life international food.

Though that alone doesn't mean much... But it for example describes this as: "Chinese food", "French Food", and other countries despite the fact that the game does not take place on earth. It would be like having a style of food called "Ardania Style" in real life.

As for Foot's new Avatar. It reminds me of Space Quest
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:45:37 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:52 pm »

We have every indication that the 40d# merge will happen, so yes, probably.

All races had a nice MOD soundtrack (even on PC internal speakers!) in this game and the Traddash had one of the nicest.

Yeah, their theme music fits them just right.

Though that alone doesn't mean much... But it for example describes this as: "Chinese food", "French Food", and other countries despite the fact that the game does not take place on earth. It would be like having a style of food called "Ardania Style" in real life.

There are actually two problems related to this.  The first is animals named for places, e.g. "Nile crocodile."  We've talked about that problem a lot in the Ark thread -- it's a hassle but generally not insurmountable.

The second problem is that the Ark Project will result in slightly disturbing biome populations, like kangaroos and cheetahs inhabiting the same savanna.  DF has no real mechanism for controlling this, but I've been thinking about suggesting one.  It should be fairly straightforward -- each creature def specifies a "continent ID" or list of them (or a token like ANY_CONTINENT) and worldgen assigns one of those "continent IDs" to each landmass, which constrains what creatures can show up there.  So if you had a world full of islands, some of the islands would have North American fauna, others Australian, and so on.  This might be a little clumsy for some situations, I haven't really thought it through yet.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: January 07, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »

I'm thinking evolution.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: January 07, 2010, 08:33:02 pm »

but is it really that awkward? i have no problems with cheetahs next to kangaroos in-game, maybe they just happened to migrate that way? perhaps one of the sentient races moved them to a new landmass and they bred like crazy (think rabbits/toads in australia, camels for that matter too) sure it would be a good idea to add such a thing but untill it is i don't see it being a big problem amd if it is it shouldn't always end up that way, it should only be more likely for the same reason i stated above (parhaps have a migration chance that is used for both natrual migration and translocation by sentients)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:36:11 pm by Typoman »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »

We have every indication that the 40d# merge will happen, so yes, probably.

Yeah, their theme music fits them just right.

There are actually two problems related to this.  The first is animals named for places, e.g. "Nile crocodile."  We've talked about that problem a lot in the Ark thread -- it's a hassle but generally not insurmountable.

The second problem is that the Ark Project will result in slightly disturbing biome populations, like kangaroos and cheetahs inhabiting the same savanna.  DF has no real mechanism for controlling this, but I've been thinking about suggesting one.  It should be fairly straightforward -- each creature def specifies a "continent ID" or list of them (or a token like ANY_CONTINENT) and worldgen assigns one of those "continent IDs" to each landmass, which constrains what creatures can show up there.  So if you had a world full of islands, some of the islands would have North American fauna, others Australian, and so on.  This might be a little clumsy for some situations, I haven't really thought it through yet.

We see the same "problem": in Dwarf Fortress, there currently exists no reason for creatures that can inhabit the same biome not to do so except for flavor reasons. There are no conceptions of niches or food chains.

But considering we are creating imaginary worlds, why should we place so much importance on forcing all fauna to coincide? Who is to say an imaginary continent might not have bizarre combinations of creatures within it? We have goblins in Dwarf Fortress; Kangaroos aren't even marsupials within the game. Why should as minor a thing as correspondence to actual biomes necessarily be so significant?

I do agree that adding some kind of tag that causes certain groups of creatures to spawn in a biome together and exclude others might be useful. However, rather than hackishly assigning continent ids, it might be better to determine a more emergent way of evolving animals as a true bug fix to the "Cheetahs and Kangaroos oh no" problem.

Perhaps biomes could be made more complex with "niches" and then animals could be selected to fill them based on size, food they consume, and ability to reproduce, among other things.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: January 07, 2010, 08:40:58 pm »

There's a reason in the real world why cheetahs and kangaroos (for instance) don't live together.

Different organisms exist in different ecological niches. You can't just mix and match types that can theoretically live in the same areas and expect everything to be okay. That's why invasive species are bad.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1065