Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3576644 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9915 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:47 am »

Take limx->∞(1+1/x)x.  That does not equal 1 - in fact it equals e.  However, it resolves to 1
this "resolves to" you use does not then sound like it is meaningful, unlike equality.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: January 07, 2010, 02:51:25 am »

For another example, a limit resolving to 1 doesn't necessarily equal 1, either.
Should...because
1x = 1, ∀ x ∈ ℝ
and you do not appear to specify a complexly infinite result.
(It's trivially provable to show
1x =1  ∀ x ∈ ℚ
but I haven't taken math recently enough to do it for irrationals (board rejects set character) as well, though I suspect something involving the continuity of f(x)=ax would suit)

I said "a limit resolving to" for a reason.

Example: lim x->0 of (x+1)^(1/x)

lim x->0 of (x+1) = 1
lim x->0 of (1/x) = ∞

So you'd arrive at 1.

However, just plug in really small values for x, approaching zero. The answer doesn't converge on 1, it converges on e.

(0.00001+1)^(1/0.00001) = 2.7183

Basically, if you have xy and hold x constant as 1, and y evaluates to ∞, then you get 1.
But if you let x vary and hold y constant at ∞, the answer you get depends on from which direction you let x approach 1: You get either ∞ or 0.
Example numerical analysis: 1.00019999999 = 1.873 * 10434 (we are obviously approaching infinity), 0.99999999999 = 4.829 * 10-435 (we are obviously approaching zero)
And if you let both x and y vary, you could get pretty much anything, depending on how they vary (such as my previous example).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9917 on: January 07, 2010, 02:55:41 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, zero and infinity relations and operations are undefined. And for good reason.
Look at this graph:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2Fx

As you see, 1/0 can seem to equal to both +infinity and -infinity

1/0 = +inf
1/0 = -inf, hence +inf = -inf. Obviously not true.

Also consider this:
1/0 = +/-inf
1 = +inf * 0 and well as 1 = -inf * 0, lets mutiply by -1
-1 = inf * 0
1 = inf * 0
-1 = inf * 0 = 1

-1 = 1

Also obviously not true. This is what you get when you are not carefull.

inf * 0 cal be shown to equal to any and every number from R. No, zero is not stronger. Infinity is not either. What you falaciously did is to pick one number from R at random and said inf * 0 equals that.

Irony is that you can predict what happens at infinity, but can not work with it:

1/x aproaches zero for x approaching inf. But you can not say 1/inf = 0 because that is not correct as you can get right back to 1 = 0*inf

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: January 07, 2010, 02:57:32 am »

I was wondering the other day, while watching a show on string theory and alternate universes: How come they don't teach the physics "alphabet" in highschool?

Atleast they didn't do so a million years ago when I was there (that I noticed).

The table of elements, yes. The Greek alphabet I picked up on my own. Spanish and German were easy, and I atleast can muddle my way through Chinese and Japanese, with lots of translation support, but considering that I'm older than Toady One, I've barely even been exposed to this type of formulaic heiroglyphics.

For that matter, I've got a larger background in ancient Egyptian heiroglyphics, than this stuff that's used every day in modern times to explain the Universe I'm living in.

I realize that as an adult, I'm now responsible for my own education, but someone dropped the ball somewhere, and I'm not taking all the blame for it. I should have been forced to learn it by mandate of the State, along with algebra, and knitting.
For they would be your masters.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: January 07, 2010, 03:00:06 am »

ugg. *takes to PMs*

SHB: This is math we're bandying about, not exactly physics. I don't know why they don't teach calculus in highschool by default, though that's when I learned it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:29 am »

When I told my browser to open the forum page, I noticed that this thread had 5 new pages. I squeeled with glee and thought Toady had posted an update which caused everyone to debate and praise the Toad and the Threetoe. Only then did I find out that those 5 whole pages were dedicated to either maths or quantum physics. The squeeling stopped.

While it's all nice and interesting, this discussion REALLY needs a seperate topic. It isn't all related and relevant to DF. And this is still a thread where you discuss the progress of the upcoming version. So, please, misters and misses scientists, go create a topic in general discussion and have at it.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: January 07, 2010, 03:08:05 am »

The topic wanders around a bit when there hasn't been a recent update; it's fine, that's what forum topics do. The key is that this one usually doesn't wander for very long, and it gets back on track when a new update comes up.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: January 07, 2010, 03:10:54 am »

Heh, at least we know from Toady's other posts that he's still alive and recuperating.

We went 3 days without an update and people were posting "OMG I THINK HE'S DEAD".

hahah

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: January 07, 2010, 03:31:45 am »

I'd like to point out that we're modern internet forumgoers, not medieval monks. We're here, we're willing to participate, and we're even relatively well-behaved. What more is required of us?

We all want news about Toady One, and I'm sure we'd be happy to talk about the game, in the absence of that, provided the topic is stimulating enough, for enough people. If you don't want us to wander, you simply must give us a reason not to wander. Doesn't even need to be a good reason: This is an internet forum, afterall.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: January 07, 2010, 03:33:01 am »

While it's all nice and interesting, this discussion REALLY needs a seperate topic. It isn't all related and relevant to DF. And this is still a thread where you discuss the progress of the upcoming version. So, please, misters and misses scientists, go create a topic in general discussion and have at it.

I'm just resigned to it now.  Mathchat is better than dead-horse suggestions, at any rate.  I can't think of anything dev-related to talk about so I guess I'll just post a link to the Ark Project, which will eventually be the biggest and bestest, but is right now just the most ambitious zoology mod ever.  We're posting big ass lists of animals there, it's pretty cool and taxonomical.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:34:43 am by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: January 07, 2010, 03:43:59 am »

The Ark Project is cool. We need an equally cool Fantasy Ark Project to bring together various magical beasts from all known creation, and balance them together.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: January 07, 2010, 03:54:36 am »

Speaking of animals: If anyone's interested, here's a link to one of my mod projects. I haven't counted the entries in a long time, but I'm guessing there's around a thousand? (what I consider to be) vermin-class animals there: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=36405.msg575381#msg575381

There are some from mythology/legend, but mostly they're real animals right now. I'm probably going to add atleast 250 more, some of which will be based on legendary critters, and others I'll just make up.

I'd like to aim for 2000 (seems like a nice round figure), but that might be a bit of a stretch.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:01:08 am by SirHoneyBadger »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: January 07, 2010, 04:12:45 am »

If we're talking about mods that should be in vanilla in the future, where's that project aiming to collect the numbers for material strengths of materials/rocks (that toady can't find), etc? How's that coming? My meager search skills are not working.

(Not melting/boiling points. That's the Molten Rocks mod.)
Tilesets

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: January 07, 2010, 04:14:47 am »

I hope it's still going. I think it was starting up--talked about, anyway--shortly before I left.

I don't have the background for it though, sorry. Maybe someone with a degree (or just a deep interest) in structural engineering or metallurgy?

I'm thinking (idly) about starting up a similar weapons mod (there's atleast 20 different types of medieval battleaxes), and just collecting all the different relevant types/styles I can find, that I'd like to see in the game. That's something I could do with relative confidence and accuracy. Don't know about the timeframe for it though. My plate already overfloweth.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:30:49 am by SirHoneyBadger »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: January 07, 2010, 04:21:58 am »

found it...but it seems to not have been touched in a while.
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 1065