Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3576629 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9930 on: January 07, 2010, 04:41:03 am »

This is probably a better topic for the Suggestions Forum Organization, but I'll mention it here because it's currently on-topic: I think this is a good illustration of the need for a list of "core" mods that concern simply completing the game itself, and that are intended to benefit everyone.

There should also be a way for everyone to potentially contribute to each such mod, as time and mood allow (with ofcourse checks and balances).

There are 11548 registered members of this Forum. 274 of those were on today. If every person who visited the Forums today contributed 1 single animal in a 24 hour period, the Arc mod would be done far beyond it's stated ambition, by Tuesday.
For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: January 07, 2010, 05:42:30 am »

There are 11548 registered members of this Forum. 274 of those were on today. If every person who visited the Forums today contributed 1 single animal in a 24 hour period, the Arc mod would be done far beyond it's stated ambition, by Tuesday.

That's kind of like saying "There are 1000 words in an essay, so if 274 people each type one word per day, it'll be done by Tuesday."  Sure, it would be possible to get 1000 animals in a brief period of time, but there would be redundancies (20% of the submissions would be whatever animal was last featured on the Discovery Channel), gaps, failures to use essential new tools like body detail plans, creature variation templates, tissue/material templates, etc., and generally enough inconsistencies to make the mod an unmaintainable mess.  I've been periodically ranting about this in the Ark Project thread, but an undertaking like this is essentially a collaborative software project -- maintainability rules like Don't Repeat Yourself apply strongly here, and various hassles like project management, version control, etc. are indispensable.

A mod that diversifies material properties for existing minerals is much easier to tackle as a community project, for several reasons:
  • the number of existing minerals is at least one order of magnitude smaller than the number of creatures a full zoology mod could add
  • the material templating is already done for existing minerals, so people would have to go out of their way to violate DRY
  • a material's properties have very little structure or interdependence, making unnecessary the tools that are essential for creatures, and making it much easier to update their properties in a piecemeal fashion
  • there's no ambiguity about whether/which new minerals should be added
  • probably other stuff I forgot

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: January 07, 2010, 06:16:01 am »

Alright seems like the discussion is about DF again... I'll write a PM about the relativity stuff.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: January 07, 2010, 06:38:27 am »

Well, the idea is that very large, imperative mods could, and possibly should, be partitioned, and sometimes, or somewhat, made more accessible to casual modders, quite possibly to the benefit of all concerned.
For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: January 07, 2010, 07:05:02 am »

Well, the idea is that very large, imperative mods could, and possibly should, be partitioned, and sometimes, or somewhat, made more accessible to casual modders, quite possibly to the benefit of all concerned.

Partitioning them is a given, but making them "accessible to casual modders" can be difficult, depending on the nature of the mod and what kind of "casual" we're talking about here.  In the case of the Ark Project, any contributors will need to work not only with the heinously complicated new creature raws, but also with other contributors (for reasons I explained above).  It's almost as inherently non-casual as DF mods can get (surpassed only by maybe a collaborative total conversion), so it's not a good fit for what you're describing.

The mineral properties mod IS a good fit, but this discussion is premised on there being other mods like it, or at least potential others.  Did you have some mods in mind?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:07:00 am by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: January 07, 2010, 07:40:21 am »

I REALLY need to get something done about Modbase. If we could get a sneak peek at the finalized creature raws for the future version, it'd help very much.

Basically, with Modbase, you avoid a lot of the hassle with duplicates and additions in disparate files, because it can compile everything as one set. It just won't currently work with the various changes in creature definitions.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #9936 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:50 am »

I've created the physics and maths thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47532.0
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: January 07, 2010, 07:46:29 am »

Basically, with Modbase, you avoid a lot of the hassle with duplicates and additions in disparate files, because it can compile everything as one set. It just won't currently work with the various changes in creature definitions.

Well, the next version will directly support a lot of that functionality, at least for creatures.  Did Modbase do anything that the new creature variation templates can't?  Anyway, there's still the issue of getting contributors to use each other's templates intelligently.

e: I think I misread, did you mean Modbase avoids duplicate creature parameters e.g. putting HOMEOTHERM on every single mammal, or that it avoids having duplicate creatures e.g. two different entries for grizzly bears?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:56:09 am by Footkerchief »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:06 am »

Yes, take different files and compile them together into a DF-readable set of raws. That was its chief use, the variable templates were just a tack-on addition. For example, you can have several dozen files submitted by different people, with possible duplicates in them. Feed those into Modbase, and you'll get, ideally, one file with all creatures and no duplicates.

edit to the above: it does both, if told so. It leaves no duplicate entries (creatures, items, etc), and does different things depending on the first tag in an entry, which acts as a key. If the tag tells to overwrite, the duplicate completely replaces the existing entry. If it tells to add only, it does not touch existing tags, only adding missing or multi-applicable ones (ATTACK, BIOME, PREFSTRING, etc). If there's no key, it overwrites any present tags and adds any multi-applicable ones. There are special syntax tags to delete existing tags or parts of tags by filter. Plus, "species handler". You can make a new creature with a new name, but tell Modbase to copy all tags from another creature, and treat all tags in the new creature as if it was a duplicate. For example, if you were to make a different species of shark, you could use another shark and just state everything that changes in it - size, color, biomes, etc. It was/is a powerful tool, it just won't work with the new version. And it's in VB, so it's terribly slow at times.

edit2: oy, almost forgot. Footkerchief, can you dig up links to all preview raws of the next version posted to this day? I'll need to begin building listings of "duplicateable" tags and formats for the new structures like attacks and castes.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:02:44 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:08 am »

Introducing ecologies worth of creatures is premature IMHO.
First have creatures behave like organisms, requiring nutrition and dieing, not just replicating and eating CPU. :)
(It would be so nice to have pigs run loose in the tunnels eating debris and cats eating their vermin, not just killing it to make miasma...though cat-gifts are a cool detail.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: January 07, 2010, 12:49:36 pm »

I'm quite concerned with Toady right now  :'(
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #9941 on: January 07, 2010, 01:19:11 pm »

Get well Toady!

This sickness is going to ensure that release day will take place after my thought that we'd only get 700 pages in this thread beforehand :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: January 07, 2010, 01:36:33 pm »

Sounds like he's recovering ok. (Check out the Get Well thread). He's just wiped out from the flu, which is pretty normal. Once he has taken a week or so to just rest up he should start to get back to normal and work will continue. Until then, we'll just have to be patient.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: January 07, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »

To hopefully move away from the theoretical physics*, I have a question about the water-flow diagrams that were getting tossed around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vertical slice if there's any reason for the water to flow there.
It looks suspiciously like a magma pipe to me but that's such a huge difference I'm sure he'd mention it.

He said he tested with an underground pool, so that's horizontal; he probably channeled out water from the top level and thus his system has only the rest pressure of the even level, which is why it's not flowing up to the next level, as water at rest pressure (unpressurised basically) only ever flows to z-1, for some strange unknown reason.
He mentioned it one of the talks. You don't want water teleporting back and forth forever.

Spoiler: more physics (click to show/hide)
Sigh

but that can get a little complicated for this forum, I think.
Really? A forum where discussions of quantum physics come up from discussions of throwing mechanics can't handle tough math? This forum has some of the most complex discussions I have ever seen on the internet.
You just haven't been around the right people on other forums. This sort of thing pops up almost anywhere that people start talking about unrealistic situations.

I was wondering the other day, while watching a show on string theory and alternate universes: How come they don't teach the physics "alphabet" in highschool?

Atleast they didn't do so a million years ago when I was there (that I noticed).

The table of elements, yes. The Greek alphabet I picked up on my own. Spanish and German were easy, and I atleast can muddle my way through Chinese and Japanese, with lots of translation support, but considering that I'm older than Toady One, I've barely even been exposed to this type of formulaic heiroglyphics.

For that matter, I've got a larger background in ancient Egyptian heiroglyphics, than this stuff that's used every day in modern times to explain the Universe I'm living in.

I realize that as an adult, I'm now responsible for my own education, but someone dropped the ball somewhere, and I'm not taking all the blame for it. I should have been forced to learn it by mandate of the State, along with algebra, and knitting.
I took a little interest when I was zoning out during things like driver's ed but other than that my only exposure to Greek letters as used in physics has been as I was introduced to equations that used them. It's definitely made them harder than they had to be but I guess it's not important enough that we want every voter knowing it.

The Ark Project is cool. We need an equally cool Fantasy Ark Project to bring together various magical beasts from all known creation, and balance them together.
I vaguely recall there being a mythological creatures wiki that had details about the monsters of every culture I could think of and tons more.

Deciding on which ones were duplicates would be the biggest trouble in a project like that since there's rarely a clear relation and you have to look really close to decide what's different.

Disregarding problems like making sure everyone defines reasonable and consistent attributes for animals it's difficult enough to just organize well enough to pass assignments out to people (and with pages and pages of people picking there own you'd also have to expect the to carefully read a whole lot of posts to make sure what they were choosing wasn't picked so we can basically rule out that method as being at all functional.)

I've created the physics and maths thread:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47532.0

I'd feel bad about about not plucking out the parts from this post to stick in there but my vision has been going blurry when I strain my eyes the last few days and I really need to get some work done today. Hopefully anyone feeling the need to respond to what I've said can do it there.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: January 07, 2010, 05:56:15 pm »

I've seen him pop by the forum once in a while for a short bit, so he's okay, just needs some rest.
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 1065