Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35950 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2009, 01:02:32 pm »

you are El Presidente, installed by the CIA to manufacture illegal drugs in Tropico.
Qué?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2009, 01:10:36 pm »

The problem is that illegal drugs are usually produced by rebels. Why would you want a feature where rebels grow more powerful and make more money? That seems stupid.

Yanlin, there are no mods that I know of that can let you produce illegal drugs. And how would you mod drugs in anyway? By introducing an event where you can pay money to the Americans to spray your trees and stop people producing cocaine?

Well excuuuuuuuuuse me for knowing nothing about the modding community of a game I played a FUCKTON of time ago and never inquired about mods.

Hey, you can grow coffee in it. Why not add another "Coffee" which is actually cocaine and pick up from there? Grow cocaine, sell it to smugglers and avoid getting caught. A competent modder could pull it off.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »

Maybe, you could have the option of entering into a drug-war, at the instigation and with the help of the CIA, and then-once all your competition was removed-doublecrossing them and setting up your own traffic, causing bad relations with the U.S., but making a fortune while hiding behind the U.N. long enough to get your money and get out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:21:28 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »

See, that was my point, there is a ton of stuff that can be done with it. And the game is full with clichés (btw I'm talking about tropico 1 all the time) and they are presented in a very funny way, mostly. One thing that comes to mind right away are the fat bankers for instance. Or the accents. Or basically, the whole picture that is being painted by almost every mechanic in the game.

It's actually a big part of the whole deal, I mean, it would have been a good game in any setting, but the way they decided to present it is just killer. I still chuckle about tropico every now and then.

And it somehow always felt as if one big cliché was missing. You could argue that it would tread on unfunny grounds pretty quickly, but executing government critics isn't all that comical either, normally.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:31 pm »

Yeah, I agree. Drugs seem like an obvious element. So does smuggling in general, for that matter.

Artifact-smuggling and having a black-market would be interesting.

Having the occasional gun merchant event could also be a fun challenge. Do you buy illegal weapons outright, and risk the superpowers finding out? Maybe try to confiscate them (keeping them for yourself, ofcourse), and possibly piss off some small but powerful mercenary group? Or just flat out nail the gun-running scum, which would entail a military action?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2009, 02:02:44 pm »

Drug villages added almost nothing to SimIsle.  They popped up when villages were very unhappy.  They didn't have much to do with you except for a relation hit, and gave you essentially free money while screwing up a worker source, so sure, it's theoretically a neat feature...

But I always found it entirely uncompelling.  The only reason to let them stick around was to listen to the neat music it played when you clicked on them.  And the only reason to get rid of them was for moral reasons.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2009, 03:51:17 pm »

Well, drugs are hardly compelling, in and of themselves. It's like anything else, very dependent on what features are added to make them interesting.

Giving you free money because your villages are unhappy seems extremely lame.

If on the other hand, the presence of drugs, and drug-money, began to make the game more complicated and challenging, and when several different factions start to involve themselves, then that's where the interest comes in.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2009, 05:43:53 pm »

Hey, you can grow coffee in it. Why not add another "Coffee" which is actually cocaine and pick up from there? Grow cocaine, sell it to smugglers and avoid getting caught. A competent modder could pull it off.

I'm not so sure. It might be hardcoded in. I asked the modders, but no reply yet...

But the idea of using "coffee" to represent cocaine, that's brilliant! However, I'm very, very worried of the Trade Delegation Edict. If you issue that, there is a chance America/Soviet Union will decide to increase the export price of "Coffee"...which isn't exactly good for the feel of this game.

This idea would however allow for El Presidente to run his own drug business on the side...
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2009, 05:58:02 pm »

What I would like is to be able to have my soldiers bomb buildings and blame it on the rebels to increase respect. It would be hilarious.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2009, 01:43:35 am »

Allowing us to use our soldiers to spread fear and distrust is an excellent (diabolical) idea, Sniper Joe.

I approve. 

One of the suggestions I presented to their Forum is to have hoodoo in the game, which could potentially allow you to set up a 'Papa Doc' style terror-regime.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2009, 04:49:50 am »

I loved Tropico 2. It was fun. It's not Tropico 1, but it was fun and the only game I've played past like 15 levels or so.

Haemimont Games taking it over scares me, though. They don't make good games :( Most of their games do get the feel right, but they make it either too boring or too frustrating to be much fun.

I'm not looking forward to it because of the developer.

Lol, if you guys want to sell cocaine from an island, play SimIsle :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2009, 10:37:07 am »

Or Real Life. I hear it has the most realistic drug related features ever! You even get all the side effects!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »

Yanlin: According to the modders, it seems the only way to create new crops is to...just rename one of the crops already there by using a Hex Editor. Editing the code to create a new crop would be against the ToS. So, for now on, Coffee is actually Coca.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2009, 12:23:53 pm »

It's against the ToS? Modding the game is against the ToS?

Wtf?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2009, 01:09:01 pm »

It's against the ToS? Modding the game is against the ToS?

Wtf?

What's so unreasonable about that?

It's their code, you can't modify their code and distribute it.  If you want to tweak some data, that's different from modifying their code.  If you modify their code, and distribute that, you're starting to compete with them...using stuff they made themselves...even if you give it away for free.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24