Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35874 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #345 on: February 28, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »

I never end up using more than 3 windmills, and even then i'm at a massive surplus.

Don't see the point in power plants, myself.
What do you do with so little electricity? Just a couple of factory upgrades, or what? I build condos galore, and I max out my TV and radio stations ASAP. I usually have like 800MW total consumption (need like 150MW just for hospitals) by 2000, and trust me, you don't want to build 50+ windmills.

Well damn you, now I have to go make an industrial giant tropico.

But with 3 windmills on the mountains, I could support 2 hospitals, a factory, a radio and tv station and a few condos
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 28, 2011, 03:11:23 pm »

Anyway, I don't get it how people can get anywhere near enough coverage with clinics, I'm struggling to get enough with hospitals. What I can never get enough of is cathedrals, those damn Tropicans go to church waaay too often. I swear, you need like 1 cathedral for every 2 tenements before you start seeing an occasional empty spot. And if there aren't empty spots, people start going to service on the opposite end of the town, and before you know it nobody is praying in his own neighbourhood cathedral and your roads get congested and nothing ever gets done.

Here's how I get around exponential demands for Cathedrals from turning your island into the Holy See - fuck the Religious faction.  They complain all the time anyway, just ignore them.  I've never had a problem with direly bad medical coverage either.  I've got one clinic for two hundred people and nobody's even started complaining.  Maybe the death rate went up, but I wouldn't know it, because I keep my Immigration Office on "Love it or Leave it", so anybody who would complain can watch by erect middle fingers fade into the distance as they try their prospects elsewhere.

Then again, my problem might be too high population density. I only build tenements, apartments and condos, because they give the most bang for my buck AND they're more space efficient than the other dwellings. Is it just me, or does everyone play like this?

Yeah, I do too.  I only ever start building houses when my anti-square blocks attitude produces some space in downtown I can't use for anything else.  Other that that, tenements near the farms, apartments near the factories.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 28, 2011, 03:18:00 pm »

But you can't get good media coverage if you spread out your housing. Opera is a real money spinner on a developed island, and Baja Bachata ain't that bad either. Plus everyone must hear my endless speeches on All Presidente, All Day.

And I'm playing at lowest political stability, so I don't dare to provoke my people too much. I guess I could ignore the religious, but I definitely can't ignore the communists so hospitals are a must. And I can't really set my policy to Love it or Leave it, I'm constantly short-handed even with Open Doors. Hell, I even had to resort to Contraception Ban and setting all my hospitals to obstetrics.

Anyway, I'm contemplating building two separate road systems to cut down on jams. One connects housing and services, the other connects housing and workplaces. The idea is that people will only use the industry road to go to work and get back home, which would hopefully prevent teamsters getting stuck in traffic for months on end. You guys reckon it'll work, or will the AI use wrong garages or something?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:22:41 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 28, 2011, 04:07:19 pm »

Try adding extra roads? Instead of 1 connecting, have 3 connecting.  Also, take note of frequent drop-off zones.  Put garages near those drop points, since cars still need to go back into a garage.

(Instead of poof like some other games.. :P)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 28, 2011, 04:15:14 pm »

I've never seen the benefit to a high birth rate. Sure, your population starts shooting up... but you've got, what, 13 years before any of the little pests become anything more than a food drain.

And remember, when in doubt, more roads are always usually useful. Key is, people always take the most direct route from garage to destination, congestion be damned. Lots of roads are useless if there's one road that goes straight through the centre of town.  ;)
(Oh, and intersections are horrible. Seriously, having a major 4-way intersection (or a pair of 3-ways in close proximity) quickly makes driving slower than walking. Long, winding roads > highly-connected, direct roads!)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 28, 2011, 04:29:57 pm »

Yeah, you can't really double up a road since everyone will take the shorter one.

As for birthrates, I always play max length, which makes Obstetrics plenty useful.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 28, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »

Sure you can....    you have the housing block and the entertainment block...  You have a down the center road, but then you also have 2 side roads which goes off to the more fringe places @ the entertainment block.  It'll at least alleviate some traffic.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]